Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

keseph
Oct 21, 2010

beep bawk boop bawk

Aleph Null posted:

How do I get this to work on my phone? What I mean is: every time I click the link and try to view it in a browser or even in the Google Drive app, it just displays the text of the .css file. It does not give me any options to download the file to save it.

Edit: downloaded it on my laptop, saved it as an attachment to an email in drafts, opened email on phone, saved file to /sdcard/awful
success
thanks

Mobile Browser Settings -> Request Desktop Site -> File -> Download

I'm a bit tossed on it myself. After using it for some time, I like the New Dark theme but wish it had just a touch more contrast, not the High Contrast experience from Spanky's. One thing I think would really help is making the thread list colors match the in-thread colors, so there isn't that jarring jump (although maybe that's intentional?). As for the thread icons, I suspect it's a matter of how you use the app and your browsing habits. I think they're actually quite important when you're hunting for a particular thread in a list; your eye filters color blobs in a scrolling column much faster than parsing text. Personally, I would say the majority of my phone browsing is reading backlogs of bookmarked megathreads, where the sorted-by-killed is probably more hindrance than help and the icons help make that search easier when I know which one I want to read right now. Conversely, if you're someone who mostly just stays at the tail end of threads where the thread list is already sorted for you then they're essentially useless and a waste of space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keseph
Oct 21, 2010

beep bawk boop bawk

Sereri posted:

I plan to make a low-tech gif replacer over the weekend. I suspect this will solve like 70% of the problems people are having.

I'm going to ask a stupid question: why not a fixed-list replace of the known animating gif smilies with pre-stopped ones? There can't be that many, right?
You could have a background thread scrape the processed html after it's been displayed to find gifs with multiple frames and upload the urls back to you (with an opt-out option), so you could iteratively expand the list from user feedback.

keseph
Oct 21, 2010

beep bawk boop bawk

Heresiarch posted:

"Read posts by this user" is 100% causing a force quit for me with the current g+ beta. Is anybody else having the same problem?

Works fine for me on 4.1.2 on an SGS3 (it's getting old but it works!)

I like the info tab at the top telling you you're filtering, but it should be temporary and fade out after a few seconds. Maybe add a * prefix to the thread title as a reminder instead, and have the notification balloon do the little quote-arrow effect from the *

And on a totally separate note, if I have a quote open and Home button out, if I go back in through the task manager, it preserves my quote. Returning through the main app icon, it returns me to the previous thread location. I think the two reentry methods should behave the same (preferably with the task manager's style winning).

keseph
Oct 21, 2010

beep bawk boop bawk
If the app gets background closed while viewing a Read Posts By User, when it restores it'll show the same page of just that user's posts (with correct page XX/YY), but the reminder bar at the top will be gone, pressing Back will back you out of the thread entirely, selecting a new page (via page jump or back/forward) will go to the corresponding page X in the unfiltered thread. Essentially, it remembers the posts on the displayed page but forgets that it was filtering down to a single users' posts.

E: Why would I do such a strange thing, you ask, as view a single users' posts for an extended period? I've been browsing a couple of users' long-spanning story arcs in the IT bitching threads. Midelne, for example, has 27 pages to his name in the old helpdesk tickets thread.

keseph fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Nov 24, 2013

keseph
Oct 21, 2010

beep bawk boop bawk
Looks like it's a drat good thing I upgraded to 4.3 a couple weeks ago!