Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
On a ten inch tablet (I'm on a note 10.1) you have to swipe your finger like seven inches up the screen to trigger a refresh in portrait, which is way too much. Can't be done with a thumb like before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

This and the loss of the dark theme with black backgrounds are my biggest peeves. Otherwise I am excited to see how this looks and performs. The dark theme is particularly important to me because I like to do as much as possible to preserve battery life.

Only if you're on an OLED device, true. I prefer the grey for night browsing, so I end up using grey for the tablet and black for one of the phones.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
It's terrible on both my Note 10.1 and my Epic 4G

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Also I can't get "pull for next page" to work, unless I'm an idiot of some sort.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Nth Doctor posted:

I just had an interesting experience on the market version of the app:

I caught up on the last 4 or so pages of a fast moving thread. When I got to the end of the last page, I pulled to refresh to check for more posts. For whatever reason, the app kept sending me to the middle of the page's old posts, but they were still colored as though unread. The posts at the top were properly colored as read.

Eventually I scrolled to the last post and manually marked it as last read, and hopped back over to my bookmarks. When that loaded, I saw that the thread I was just in had -20 unread posts. When the bookmarks page reloaded, everything was fine again.

This happens to me ALL OF THE TIME. I'll go to the next page of a thread and it drops me somewhere in the middle or at the end of the page. Even happens on my bookmarks page, or in any forum's page. On both my Epic 4G and Note 10.1 8013

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Salvador Dalvik posted:

Do either of you have posts-per-page set to anything other than 40 on either app or forums?

Nope, all default settings on the new app.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
You do if you want to copy them directly instead of going to them.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Tunga posted:

On the current release they pop up a menu on a tap. If you don't see that you can reset the default behaviour in the app's settings.

For the first time, then I set it to "always open links." But every now and again I don't want to open it, I want to copy it. Having to go into the app settings on the device and reset it every time is a PITA.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
In the beta I set it to something like 20% because I'm on a note 10.1 and having to pull like six inches down with one hand is terrible.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Glimm posted:

Sent the horrendously large pull request for transitioning to Gradle.

Also I've been playing with immersive mode on my N7, I just have it automatically going into full immersive mode when loading an individual thread. I think it looks/works great! This is probably something we'd like to add as an option?

Beta fixes this I think

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Samsung Epic 4G, Cyanogenmod to 4.3, latest Awful beta. After the latest update, on about half of the threads I view, there is a black square that takes up the top left quadrant of the screen whenever I enter a thread. The square extends to the midline of the screen, so it usually ends up covering up a person's avatar and the left half of their post, or at least the first few sentences. I can scroll past it, but it reappears wherever I enter a thread (view last read post makes it appear at the first new post at the top of the screen when the app jumps to it).

I don't have this issue on my Note 10.1 (2013) with a 4.4 version of Cyanogenmod.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

nimper posted:

Another odd bug. Android 4.3, latest beta/whatever was pushed to market yesterday, default theme. Happens on other themes too but it's easiest to show on a white background.

This is what I was talking about in my earlier post, except the black square is on the let side of my screen. Enabling/disabling gifs doesn't change, even after a cache flush.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
For me it can happen immediately, or randomly 20 minutes in. I want to say I notice it more at work during my lunch hour where I have to connect to an ATTWIFI hotspot, but that's probably because I end up using it more at work because at home I use the computer.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Sereri posted:

So if you reload a page it's usually gone?

It's persistent across same-page reloads, but if I back out of that thread, go into a different thread, then to back to the original one with the problem, it is either gone or has moved to hover over a different post.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Funny you should say that.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
It does not. I've had the black box problem since before the gif placeholders, too.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I just flushed memory, uninstalled, and reinstalled, and I've had it happen twice since, with gifs disabled and stock theme.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Sometimes my back button gets replaced with a very squished screencap of a post or something, and my "pull to refresh" turns avatar-sized in the lower right-hand corner. But this happens when I tilt the device mid-pull-to-refresh.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Adulterous Hitler posted:

Is this

a thing that has been fixed already?

I swear after the latest update this is worse for me. At home on WPA2 or at work on their open attwifi network. Initial launch of Awful after a reboot causes no issues, but if I go back to the home screen then re-open Awful I get this just about every time in any thread (and sometimes at the same time the back/reload buttons are replaced with tiny screencaps of posts). It only happens upon re-opening, and the only way to make it go away is to force close the app and/or reboot. Epic 4G [Cyanogenmod] 4.3, AND Note 10.1 4.3.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Sereri, please remove the signature option from the app.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Suzuran posted:

As long as Something doesn't have the bug that causes Awful to randomly drop huge black boxes on the thread display I'm game.

This happens every time I leave the app running and open something else on my phone, then go back to it.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I still get black boxes

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I get the black boxes on CM 4.4 on my 2012 N7, LG Optimus G with 4.1.2?, and GSII epic 4g with a random cm 4.4. None on N8013, though.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
The Windows model.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
All you have to do is tap the page number at the bottom.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
That's...kind of lovely logic.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Breath Ray posted:

Unexpectedly strong moral compass for a bunch of poo poo-eating gay cannibal nazis.

Listen PEGI isn't that bad

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

CharlieWhiskey posted:

Lowtax, eat the cert

Lowtax why won't you eat the cert?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I think it's more like a "Fweeeeeeeeeeeee...." noise that trails off into the darkness. Kind of like that random tinnitus you get sometimes.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Party Boat posted:

Is repeatedly switching back and forth between the embedded tweet and the twitter link the "graphical glitch" referred to in the settings? Is there anything I can do to fix it? Galaxy S4 running rooted 4.4.2

Just want to say this happens to me, too. Beta linked in the thread, G3 Vigor, 5.2

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I feel the same way, but get told to get out whenever it's brought up, so YMMV.

Still love the app otherwise.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
If it showed up, I'd be pleasantly surprised. It's not required, but I do think the pushback is a little strong.

As an aside, with the latest install, it's difficult to see embedded YouTube videos. I mean, they're there, but the preview image doesn't have any UI on it indicating that it's a video, so I think it's just an image most of the time.

Before the update, there was a big play button watermark on the preview thumbnail.

Maybe it's my phone itself?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Any way to disable announcement notification bars?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
They've been around forever but Lowtax is just going hog wild recently. That's all.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I use OLED dark theme

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Why can't I copy an email address that's in a PM? I can copy text, but not emails. Is that an Android thing?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Samesu

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Seriously though remove the announcement notifications. There are multiple a day sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

ArtIsResistance posted:

can you remove the announcement notification