Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

cocoavalley posted:

Mine does. Droid 4, Android version 4.1.2, Awful 3.0.5.
Mine too. Cherry Mobility poo poo Chinese tablet, 4.1.1, 3.0.5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Yo, guys, just wanted to let you know the new app is running buttersmooth on my craptastic poo poo tablet. Definitely an improvement.

Thanks.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

The extra url tags being added within code tags is a forums side issue, at least, because that happens within a pc browser as well.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

I'm on whatever version is on the play store and it updated yesterday and everything is prettier and also pages load five times as fast somehow, so thanks for that.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

You wouldn't, by any chance, have recently changed your forums password, but have neglected to do so in the app?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

It seems like all posts on a page will always be marked as read if there's a post on there by someone on your ignore list.

Like the bookmarks list says there are six unread posts in a thread, you tap on that and it shows the relevant page, but you're at the bottom and everything on the page is marked as read, even posts you haven't seen yet. If some of those six posts were on the next page, they wouldn't be marked as read.

I'm on 3.5.2, which is the play store version I think.

Known issue?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Far as I can tell, the ignored post doesn't have to be the first or last of the unread ones. I'm not even entirely sure if it needs to be one of the unread ones, or if it suffices that an ignored post appears on the page. I'll see if I can figure that out.

I have hide ignored posts on in settings. New posts are read, in the sense that they have the read colours, they don't fold into the hidden old posts thing at that point, which I have on as well.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

On the one hand I'm constantly accidentally tapping pictures while attempting to scroll and opening the menu. That wouldn't happen if it required long press even is there wasn't a link. On the other hand I hate change with a fiery passion.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Skarsnik posted:

Can we have a setting for more or less settings
Only if it's the only thing to disappear when you choose less settings.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

It's something I hadn't ever seen before you had to fix the "thread view is empty upon resume" thing earlier, fwiw. It happens in exactly the same circumstances as far as what I observed.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

I have a Moto G5+ with the one button navigation thing enabled as well and haven't been able to trigger it into doing it for almost a week now. I really wanted to collect relevant circumstances, but that's hard with it not happening all that often for me.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Feature request: add .webp links to the things that are pictures. They embed fine as they are, but if for some reason they are shown as links (say you marked an earlier post as last read, or you have the app set not to embed pictures while on 4G), they don't have the display image and show image inline options, just the open url in browser options when you long press.

There's a post with a bunch of them here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3819901&pagenumber=228&perpage=40#post493672472

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

baka kaba posted:

thanks! yeah the extension just needs adding to a bit of "is this an image" logic, guess it's a thing now
I was hoping it would be fairly simple, thanks.

If it's a thing, I don't know. Just came across them in two different places last week out of nothing. Had no clue it even existed before.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

I'm having a weird issue where specifically timg'd images aren't showing up anywhere. All others do.

Kicked the app out of memory. Rebooted the phone. Doesn't seem to help. Not sure what to try next.

On whatever version is on the store. I haven't changed any settings recently.

I'm sure it's one of these things that will magically resolve itself once we start looking into it, but eh.

Edit: never mind, I'm seeing it on desktop to 6

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Apr 2, 2019

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Totally unimportant bug: if you choose to only show posts by a certain user in a thread and the amount of those posts doesn't add up to more than a single page, then the denominator of the page selector doesn't update from the total number of pages in the thread. You can then press the forward arrow and get a 'page not found in the live forums' error.

Seems to work right whenever the poster has more than a page worth of posts in a thread though.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Had two random crashes on a Motorola G5+ today, but not before, despite using it like eight hours a day on average, probably. Play store says the app last updated 16 weeks ago, so I'm not expecting it to be related to that.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Have had the flickering on 8.1.0.

fake edit: flickered with just the above.

First for a second, then on a second attempt for three seconds.
The preview box size was eventually radically different in both attempts, despite being for the exact same content, which is weird!

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

I see more and more people post image links like this:
https://images-ext-1.discordapp.net/external/A9ligXzIrh8jFkgQJbwF1qfu0KxrX2lNzA2x7xPwejc/https/i.imgur.com/QoECo6e.jpg

And they show up blank. I'm not sure how trivial it is to get them to work. e: when posted within img tags, I mean.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

baka kaba posted:

Yeah it looks ok to me!

We don't inline plain image links (but if you tap it you get the image menu that'll let you do that), only video ones because that's what the site does
Yeah, no, it was in timg tags in the post I copied it out of. I didn't copy those, because in case of non-embed, you wouldn't know there was anything to see there unless you quoted me.

I did all this because I don't know how to link to a single post from the app. I'm not seeing anything auto-embed in this conversation either, whether it's in a quote or not. It does embed when I tap the link and select show image inline, but that's not the problem I have.

So below I'll put the same link in timg tags and we'll see together what happens:

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

I see this:

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Well, if it's just me, never mind I guess.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

baka kaba posted:

Hrm, that is weird though. When I quoted you it didn't auto embed, I just added the img tags by hand - you can't see it there either? Honestly that sounds more like a network issue or something, like it's just not loading the pic for some reason. The URL is a real mess though... it loads ok when you do Display Inline in the link menu?
It all works fine on a Windows PC on the same network. Where you added the tags manually, it's not showing up in the post in the app (like, it doesn't show a link either, just an empty space like in the screenshot I posted). Whenever I have the link visible due to the "turn embedded images into links in posts that have been seen" option, I can tap it and select "display image" or "show image inline" and both then work entirely as expected -ie the image shows op.

Also found another type of image link for which the same goes:

I tossed the app out of memory, but that doesn't seem to change anything.

baka kaba posted:

(btw you can link to a post by tapping its ... and choosing Copy URL)
Oh, good, thanks.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Sereri posted:

Flipperwaldt do you by any chance have a non-default setting of "Images > Imgur thumbnails"?

There should be an error case there that would explain it, but I can't seem to trigger it.
It's set to 'large (640px)'. I don't know what the default is.

If you want me to toggle other things for a while, let me know.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Okay, if I disable the 'disable timgs' option under 'images', the pictures embed, but only if they are timg'd. They still don't embed when in regular img tags. :psyduck:

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

All works perfectly with it set to 'original pictures'!

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Yeah, :yossame: for the crashes, randomly, two three times a day. Sometimes it doesn't even produce the 'awful has stopped' prompt.

Also, I felt bad not having thanked you guys for looking into the image thing, so thanks.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Scaramouche posted:

If you don't get a restart message it was probably culled for memory management. Workflow for that is switch to Awful, see blue start screen and Awful. message.
Seems a bit harsh to toss apps out of memory while you're actively using them.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

That reminds me: the daily crashing thing seems to be over for me.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Blech. Another chrome update that absolutely tanks the performance of the app.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

It seems like youtu.be links don't embed at all, is that right?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Yeah, I sadly have no control over how other people post. All I can see is that sometimes people post YouTube links that force me to leave the app to watch. And I get the impression this happens with youtu.be links (rather than youtube.com links).

My preference would be not to leave the app to watch any posted videos, for what it's worth. What I don't know is whether ignoring the .be type links is something failing, or if they were never included in the embedding code or something else.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Party Boat posted:

Ah I see. Yeah it would be nice if it could automatically detect and handle all the youtube url variants, no idea how feasible that is though.
Looks like you can convert one to the other easily, I dunno.

Posting the below intentionally unembedded to hopefully demonstrate the difference.

//youtu.be/mMaIzHkGwO8
https://youtu.be/mMaIzHkGwO8

//www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMaIzHkGwO8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMaIzHkGwO8

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Hmm, no. They both only offer the "open link" option to watch it in browser. I thought that worked differently and would embed on click. Don't know where I got that.

Sorry to bother y'all.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

I think salr on desktop does a thing like that, or maybe some other YouTube related script, that's what got me confused. It's fine, I'm glad it's all working as intended then.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

I'm noticing you can't touch YouTube embeds anymore without having them start playing. Like even if it's clearly part of a swipe to scroll up/down movement.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

I want to speak to google's manager!

Edit: that actually seems to have helped wtf

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jan 28, 2020

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

So, yeah, thanks for fixing this so promptly guys :stonkhat:

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Taeke posted:

It seemed to have been fixed yesterday but now it's happening again.
Yeah, same.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

I'd be happy enough disabling embedding if the app could fetch the video titles, but I assume that would involve each user entering their own api key like what happened with the greasemonkey for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Some more dumb questions.

Does this gfycat mp4 embed and play in the app for anyone? Is it supposed to?

I also just noticed that a saved post is thread specific. Maybe that's intentional.