Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
[quote="“Scudworth”" post="“476995474”"]
the announcement notification is now my favourite thing
[/quote]

E: lol, drat I've been outed. Let's see if this works...

Scudworth posted:

the announcement notification is now my favourite thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Peachfart posted:

Make them persistent until the user clicks on them, with a checkbox to acknowledge reading the announcement.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to have a multiple choice question or two to be sure the user understood the announcement, too.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Yeah, working just fine in northern California for me on a Pixel 2.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Harvey Mantaco posted:

How do i view a rap sheet?

Hit three dots on a post of user you want to check, copy url, paste in browser of choice, click the very small rap sheet button

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
For shame, shutterstock

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Scudworth posted:

I use both apps and having them together in a folder so it says SOMETHING AWFUL with grenade coffee and frog amuses me.

lol nice!

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

spanky the dolphin posted:

I made some more nazi icons for you, hope you enjoy.

Pacman = gamergater, dog = furry, mrgw = uhh pua or something

The dogs especially own, nice job!

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

KillHour posted:

This thingy. Awful was in focus when I hit the button, but disappeared/turned into gmail.

Chrome was doing that for me once. Try uninstalling and reinstalling.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

KillHour posted:

It happens every time I open the app switcher, and only does it with awful.

Did you uninstall and reinstall the app?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

KillHour posted:

Yes and I recently wiped the phone :iiam:

Sorry then, no idea. When it was happening to me with Chrome, I couldn't find a single complaint about it online 😬

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

site posted:

When did that happen

Also buy me a new phone if you got so much money to spare

Depending on where you're located, you can get a budget Moto E4 for like $60 that should be better than your Galaxy S3 in every way. Still might be more than you can spend, of course, but there are not awful budget options these days. It's only two major OS versions out of date as of Monday!

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Counterpoint, don't be a dick to people making an app for free failing to hold up development for the 3% of people on OS versions that old

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

site posted:

And I'm totally fine with and understand that. I just didn't think that asking to drop a line in the changelog acknowledging that to warn others would be some sort of crime against humanity :shrug:

and in case its ever necessary i went ahead and put 3.4.1 on an dummy mega.nz account
https://mega.nz/#!vb5AnYRJ!cFafX49cvQcYurpRs6ApV8yGJe90cHmWEy_MpO5TnZM

"Asking to drop a line in the changelog" vs

site posted:

Okay well if you're going to break compatibility for older versions even though everything already worked before you broke it go ahead give me a link to the last version that worked before you silently broke it and didn't bother putting it in the changelog

That's the entire reason you've gotten pushback. I legitimately hope this helps your confusion about this social interaction.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Lurking Haro posted:

Could "Close Thread" not be the first entry in the menu? I accidentally closed my thread a few times when I just wanted to post an update on the go.

Anyone else had problems with this?

Hmm, I don't even know what menu you're talking about. Do you not use the swipe rightward to go back to thread list from a specific thread?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Fun Times! posted:

I'm new to using the app on Android, how do you look at user profiles and rap sheets?

Three dots next to post, copy url, paste into browser

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

baka kaba posted:

Or be in the beta (or wait for the next app release)

Oh poo poo, really? That's reason enough to jump into the beta for me

Edit: the lack of a neonazi frog on the splash screen is really killing me though

sourdough fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Dec 11, 2018

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Yeah not the dots. I'm fine with calling the lines that.

It's a very thin burger

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
lol

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Condolences on your blindness and stupidity

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Betazoid posted:

Hi, yes, that would be amazing! I have no clue what email I used and I've tried the five I can think of, and they didn't seem to be registered.

I'm guessing you could pm an admin too

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Random thing I could test but don't feel like doing: does viewing a thread in the app make you show up on the website list of accounts viewing a subforum? I would guess no, but really have no idea.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

vyst posted:

Yes, since the app is functionally a modified version of a web browser but with a better user experience. You're not browsing anonymously if you've logged in with the app.

That makes sense. For some reason, I had in mind that how the app fetches content would be different than how a browser does in some way, even though that was a dumb thing to think :saddowns:

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Flipperwaldt posted:

I'm not seeing any of these problems at the moment, so please don't change anything thanks.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

ianmacdo posted:

Is anyone else having a problem with the app moving and losing your position in a thread a couple of seconds after it loads up?

If I follow a link to a post and the thread has a bunch of something, maybe twitter or other embeds, not sure, it'll often jump around after a second. Like the order of operations is: load text in posts -> jump to correct post -> load embeds in thread -> view isn't locked to any particular post so the embedded stuff pushes posts around.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

spankmeister posted:

Could the below be fixed in the app as well? Trying to scroll horizontally is almost impossible in this app.

In the meantime, what seems to help for me is to swipe on only about half the screen, from the middle outward. That is, if I want to scroll to later characters in the line, start with my thumb slightly to the left of middle and swipe towards the left edge of the display. If I want to scroll back to earlier characters, start with my thumb slightly to the right of middle and swipe towards the right edge of the display. That seems to help stop the app from expecting navigation swipes (at least in my quick minute of messing with it).

E: eh, it helps some, but it's still pretty tough

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Nth Doctor posted:

So I know pre and code running off the edge of the screen is one of the perennial issues. I just found this fun behavior:
C# code:
    public sealed class DoublesToTooltipConverter : IMultiValueConverter
    {
        public object Convert(object[] values, Type t, object parm, CultureInfo lang)
        {
            if (values.Length != 2 || values.Any(x => x == DependencyProperty.UnsetValue))
            {
                return null;
            }
            if (!(values[0] is double v1) || !(values[1] is double v2))
            {
                return null;
            }
            string p1 = Tools.Normalize(v1);
            string p2 = Tools.Normalize(v2);
            if (v2 == double.MaxValue)
            {
                return $"{p1} used";
            }
            return $"{p1} used out of {p2}";
        }

public object[] ConvertBack(object value, Type[] t, object parm, CultureInfo lang)
        {
            throw new NotImplementedException();
        }
    }

I could only get it to slide a single character at a time.

Which if intended behavior, is actually a really loving funny troll.

If not, a fun test case.

Pixel 4 XL running stock Android 11
App version 3.7.4, the October 28 2020 release

It's extremely fiddly, but I can sometimes get it to scroll more if I do a slow diagonal swipe. But when I'm trying to scroll back to the start of the code block, it usually wants to take me out of the thread back to the list of threads.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

hooah posted:

Diagonally swiping seems to be reliable for me, on a Pixel 3.

lol what the hell, it is for me now too

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Maybe an android 12 thing, web search isn't there on my pixel 6 with whatever the up to date awful.apk is on the store

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Duodecimal posted:

Starting Tuesday maybe, I'm getting greeted by an empty window with the message "Long press to add forums", or something like that. I can swipe forward to get to my bookmarks, which is where the app had been loading before.

I'm on Android.

Click the star in the top right, you're only showing favorited subforums rather than forum index

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

thehoodie posted:

Having the same issue. And no I will not clear out my ignore list. I refuse to be assaulted by bad opinions

lol

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Pope Guilty posted:

Every time I open the app, it defaults to the Favorites screen, which I don't use. Could we have an option to have it default to the forum index or bookmarks?

Tap the little star in the top right and it'll go back to defaulting to the forum index

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Chewbecca posted:

Yup I'm having a terrible time trying to link my Imgur account to the Awful app.

I just wanna post photos of the beach :(