Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I have a feature request. I read a few threads that include massive effortposts, and it's kind of a pain to scroll all the way up to the top of the post so I can access the menu and say "mark post last read". Could we get one of these two features, please?

- add the three-dots menu to the bottom of each post as well as the top
- add a "mark previous post read" option to the menu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I forgot to say this in my previous post: thank you to the devs of the Awful App! I use it all the time. Fantastic work!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Dabir posted:

This was also the appropriate solution to twitter embeds but that got work done to accommodate it for some reason

Discord specifically has a server-side system in place to expire URLs to media after a few days. Inside of Discord, they silently update those URLs, but outside, of course, they don't. In other words, there's no reliable way to fetch Discord-hosted content except for by going to a Discord channel that has that content embedded in it.

Twitter still relies on URLs to tweets being consistent forever. They just hosed with their API for fetching the tweet content. But as long as the content is consistently available at a fixed location, code can be written to fetch and display it.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
The server owner can also do things like replace them with goatse or something

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Big Mac posted:

we were talking about it in the State of the Forums thread and wanna just say - thanks for the app. it's a good app.

Yeah! Thank you, everyone that has contributed to it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Captain Hygiene posted:

Ugh, that sucks. It really feels like imgur would prefer to just be its own environment where everyone goes to comment and vote on each other's pictures, rather than being useful to the rest of the internet.

Being useful to the rest of the internet has absolutely no potential revenue model for them. I'm frankly shocked that they've supported hotlinking media for as long as they have; pretty much every other large image host has closed up shop or banned hotlinking.

Being a social media site at least gets people onto their pages, which have ads embedded in them, which can generate some money.