Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

ohhhh ok, I got that from the "app stopped" bit so I got confused!

I'm not seeing any crash data though, can you hit Report next time it happens? I think it only sends automatically on Nougat+

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Ok I see the report now - is your webview updated? That's where the crash is coming from

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

nah all the "extra" stuff in the av section is pretty random, there's no consistent structure to it, so it's just ignored unfortunately. Plus someone would need to think of a good way to display it in our horizontal layout

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Not only up to date, but it turns out I'm a beta tester. No idea how that happened. Should I try going back to non-beta?

E: I went ahead and switched it and that fixed it. :woop:

frickin
webview
(and chrome)

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

yeah they're aggressively stealing focus from drags, gotta get them views!!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

It's on the list but nobody's got around to developing it and making a UI and all that

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Memento posted:

Not sure if it's intended behaviour or has been brought up before, but the Android app automatically embeds Instagram posts regardless of an :nws: in the post. Current page of the Tasteless Tattoos thread in PYF as an example (contains cartoon nudity in case you wanted to check it out).

oh apologies to this fine poster - apparently there is some nws text detection, but I think it's only running on tweets? so yeah maybe that can be extended to the instas too

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

nah embeds are the sites' own scripts - all praise/blame goes to them :hai:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

heads up, the new Webview/Chrome updates broke the Find on Page toolbar so it crashes when you touch it... so don't do that!

We'll probably have to fix this ourselves so assume it's broken until the next app update that says it's fixed, tyvm

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

It also might not pop it back when you're done :doh: that'll be fixed next time... or will it???

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

ideally there'd be an API to fetch data instead of loading webpages and scraping those, but there ain't, so it's not a dumb thing to assume anyway

if there were I'd guess they'd still include you in the browsing stats though!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

what OS version and Chrome/Webview version are youse all on with the slow problem thing

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Where does the app export settings to? I need to reinstall but when I go to Restore settings I can't find the backup. Android 10.

In the import picker it's Internal Storage > awful and it should be in there

But it looks like if you hit Export and you haven't granted write permission, if you say yes it doesn't actually do the export - you have to hit Export again after granting the permission

that said it should pull in your prefs from the online backup when you install the app? doesn't hurt to export the settings just to be sure. All that stuff's pretty old but as far as I'm aware it still works?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Sereri posted:

A10 and whatever the most current chome version is. It doesn't happen for me right away, it will take on or two threads until I notice the slowdown when coming back to the app.
I also noticed that it happens in the previous version as well, I have an old beta build of 3.6.8 and it does the same thing.
I checked and there is no error in the web console. Haven't checked the logcat though.

Oh and it's just when you tab out on the threadview , anything native is fine.

oh right guess I should update that emulator from 9 :v: love that there's no info on what this new update involves

I'll have a go at profiling it and see if I can spot anything

smoobles posted:

Also I loving love this app, it's the only way I read SA anymore. Wanted to drop a positive comment instead of only showing up to dump a bug report here.

Is there any way to throw OP a few bucks for their work on it?

cheers bud! but we're aight

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Mar 14, 2020

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Are any of you getting an error popup with a message? If so what does it say?

It's hard to diagnose this stuff without being able to see it happening, it could be the site falling over somehow...

smoobles posted:

Is there anything in the pipe as far as the Google Pixel freezing reported above

if we see it happening we can try and do something about it! People said it was happening in other apps since the update though?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

^^^ yeah if there's another update coming (thanks for letting me know!) might be worth letting it marinate a little more :kiss:

LastInLine posted:

For those not seeing any issues, how often are you tapping images and selecting View Image or tapping embedded tweets, going out to whichever Twitter app is handling it, and returning? It's those two actions which cause it with almost 100% consistency. I should note that if I'm going out to my Twitter app (in my case, Flamingo) that I'm always doing so in order to view pictures in the tweet. For me it seems like the common thread is the viewing of images.

is this for the logout thing, or for the slow thing? Is the app restarting i.e. with the "Awful" splash screen, or is it showing the app straightaway? And if this is the slow thing, which part of it's slow - the splash screen, or the app itself displaying, or is the app loading (the main UI around the thread view) and the web view is taking a while to show up? If it's the latter, does the rest of the UI respond while you're waiting - swipe to other views, tap the menu and get a popup, etc

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Mar 31, 2020

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

all right, looks like I tracked down the culprit, there's a cloudflare cookie with a 30 min expiry that's confusing the app

there's a fix gone out, until then it'll stay logged in 30 mins or as long as the app's open, which is until you look at a tweet amirite

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Yeah sorry, I got it out as soon as I could but it can take a day to show up on devices, and the Play Store says that because of corona "expect review times of seven days or longer" - I don't know how that affects updates, but that might delay it

if it doesn't show up, and you're comfortable installing it outside of the play store, I uploaded the new release APK here
https://github.com/Awful/Awful.apk/releases/tag/v3.6.10

I dunno if that'll update the current one or install as a separate app alongside (might want to pick a different app icon in the settings if that's the case) but yeah, if it's gonna take 7 days for a fix to roll out then getting logged out every 30 mins is going to get old real fast!

if anyone got the update yet pls say so, I can't see the stats yet

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

^^^ no probs bud, and thanks for the nice words you guys, although now I'm worried about your app libraries if we're the most responsive :v:

hooah posted:

I haven't gotten it yet, but I'm curious why it isn't affecting everybody.

The cookie is only set when you log in, so if you were already logged in before cloudflare started sending the poison one, it won't affect you

log out at your peril :spooky:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Intoluene posted:

Just downloaded and ran the .apk

It ran as an update to existing app. Don't seem to have the "wait seconds to do stuff" thing that happened on quick swap before. Log in seems fine.

That's good to know, thanks! If the slowdown thing actually is fixed then that would be cool, we'll have to see about that though

Kheldarn posted:

Trip Report: Phone logged me out, but tablet is still logged in.

I don't think that's right. I never log out of the app, and I got logged out on both devices...

So the login expires after 30 mins, but it won't matter until the app restarts and has to reinitialise everything. So if you're not using your tablet enough that the app gets kicked out of memory, it'll stay logged in. You're probably using your phone more doing a bunch of other things so that's more likely to log you out

And you might have been logged out recently because your session cookie actually did expire, it lasts a year (and it's the same one on all devices) and because of an earlier bug a lot of people had to log in again around the same time, so that might be why it's hitting a wave of people. The fix should do it, otherwise I don't know what the heck

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Intoluene posted:

I spoke too soon on both counts, my apologies.

EDIT: okay, login is most assuredly fixed. Went two hours and it worked perfectly. Slowness upon switch is still a thing, though.

HonorableTB posted:

BTW can confirm the apk fixed the logout bug for me, and I'm a professional QA Engineer so either your fix is solid or im lowkey costing my company millions from missed prod bugs :v:

Cassiopeia posted:

Worked perfect for me thanks! Just asked if I wanted to run as a update and sorted. Normal service resumed :)

thanks gang, at least now I know it's working and I don't need to wait a week to find out if I did a bad or not!

Kheldarn posted:

I always end all apps when I'm done with them (tap the Square button to show apps, then either slide them away or hit the trashcan/close all button). It's a habit that formed when I had very limited RAM on my first Android phone so I pretty much had to do that to run an app.

I don't know enough about how Android works to know if that makes an app have to restart and reinitialize, though...

nah it doesn't guarantee it, that's down to the system, it just signals that the app can be kicked out of memory - easiest way to tell if it's restarting is if you see the splash screen

it's also possible your tablet made you sign in before all this started happening, I had to log in a few days ago and this wasn't happening then. It should be fixed with the update anyway!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

So are you using the Default theme? Also do you have links to a page where it's happening? op and reply highlighting are done through CSS, quotes and name highlighting happen through javascript, so if you're getting op highlighting you should definitely be getting replies too. How long's it been happening?

I just noticed your custom title is uh very interesting :ohdear:

Ardlen posted:

Is there any way to have the nav bar match colors at the bottom?

you don't have that option but maybe later! It would have gone into beta but there were fixes that had to go out

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

The cookie stuff is tricky if it's not happening to you - like the last issue was definitely A Thing, but it shouldn't be happening now. And we're not watching for logouts because that's a thing that naturally happens sometimes

Can anyone still getting it (and make sure you're on 3.6.10) check their cookies in a browser? You can hit f12 for Developer Options, in Chrome you go to the Network tab, load an SA page, click the request that's the name of the page (showthread.php, usercp.php etc) then tap the Cookies panel

basically there's 4 I want to check,
bbuserid
bbpassword
sessionid
sessionhash

don't post the values! just say if each one has a value, and what the expiry date is (or if the cookie isn't there at all I guess)

thank :tipshat:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

TheAardvark posted:

It does show it. I'm trying to figure out a way to add 6ers to it. The fact I can hit "edit" on some posts means something is reading posts in a way that will read whether or not mod buttons are active.

I assume this is going to be a huge bitch of trial and error but I want a project and even 1 week of being a single thread IK made me want it, so I bet a lot of mods would be happy.

The menu's built in PostContextMenu, if you want to add more options you can stick in a new entry in the PostMenuAction enum and then handle it in the generateMenuItems and onActionClicked methods

Depending on what the things do you'll need to implement some UI for that, if it's just like a "probe this rear end" button that fires off a request then you'll just need to create an AwfulRequest to do that (just look at one of the subclasses like VoteRequest, there's not much to it if you're just pinging the server)

The app doesn't have a concept of you being a mod or admin or whatever (since none of us are) but it knows if you have plat - the post menu thing checks that status by looking at AwfulPreferences (so it can decide whether to show the PM option - also good luck if you've never looked at that class before lol)

So it would probly make the most sense to do the same for mod options - get that info from somewhere, stick it in AwfulPreferences (it's more of a prefs and state object really), and then check it when you're deciding whether to add a mod option to a thing. I'm guessing you'll need to scrape that info from a page at some point - Jeffrey's been doing a JSON endpoint thing with a lot of useful info in one place that would be great for querying every so often and updating the app state, unfortunately the app don't work like that and I haven't had time to even look at it for a while

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Captain Hygiene posted:

Works for me too, every time some basic function like that breaks for me, it turns out that updating Chrome fixes it through the magic of [guesses at technological words in attempt to sound knowledgeable] shared libraries.

they're actually reverting it back to a separate component again lmao

Kheldarn posted:

Meanwhile, in current app news, it's not showing me a poster's rap sheet when I select it from the 3 dot menu of a post. I just get a blank screen with the back arrow in the top left corner. Tapping that takes me to the Leper Colony page.

Interestingly, it DOES work when I try it on Jeffrey Of YOSPOS, but nobody else, including when I first tried it on the mod named Jeffrey, who I saw probated in the Tech Issues Thread.

That mod doesn't have any raps, I guess the page should probably say something like that huh...

does it work for other people?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Hmm yeah you'll need to pop up some kind of dialog fragment - at a minimum with a text box to put a reason in, and have things like the 6hr length hardcoded in the request class (just a fyi if you didn't notice, the AwfulRequest constructor defaults to GET but has an option for POST, you add the params the same way)

Ideally you'd have a proper fragment with all the options, and ideally you'd get that page, parse out all the current options like the possible lengths, and kinda dynamically generate that stuff so if it's ever changed it Just Works

e- I guess this is the kind of thing where you need to be careful because if it goes wrong there could be extreme forums drama lol

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

^^^ yeah I know there's some stuff going on with probes and times right now, I'll add an issue and we can look at it (maybe when it's finalised on the site)
thanks!

Mr.Radar posted:

Feature request: override the size of text in Twitter embeds. It looks like Twitter is rolling out a new style of embed that has much larger text than the previous style. I set my font size for threads to 12 and it looks like Twitter is somewhere around 20 or 22 which is comically large in comparison:

Ideally the font size for the body of the Tweet and display name of the Tweeter would be the same as the font size of the thread text and the other text in the Tweet would maybe be a size or two down from that.

I've also posted this as an issue on Github but I'm copying it here for visibility.

oh hey thanks for the report

I replied in there but basically, it's probably not a good idea to go messing with embedded content, just because of the added complexity and chance for things to break. As far as I'm aware there's no easy way to force a maximum font size, so it would be something like running multiple passes over the page and targetting specific elements and rewriting them - and they could change things at any time

I haven't seen the big text for a while thought, is anyone still getting it? Maybe they gave up on that idea

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

honestly a big part of it is the horizontal layout for all the deets - if we could reliably parse that stuff out, where would it go? Especially when it's designed for vertical display (especially stuff like double avs)

UI stuff is the worst

Bourricot posted:

I'm getting it now.

Ah. well, nevertheless

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

yeah so that space has to allow for arbitrarily long custom titles, even on small screens, with the system text size cranked up

and really anything can go in your custom title, there's no consistent structure to it. We strip the styling (so the app can look consistent when it applies its own) but a bunch of the custom stuff relies on it, like the donation tags. Retaining all that and then throwing it in and hoping it always works is tempting fate

so yeah it would probably either go on a user profile popup (which would be a nice thing to have anyway) or in some messy row under the expanded post info bar thing, but ehhh it's not really a priority

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Yeah I think the "copy post URL" thing should probably use the sharing API, where you can choose to copy it or send it to [browser app] or whatever

I'll file a bug about the new posts on the page thing, thanks! I guess there's just no special handling for when you're viewing the last page from a post link like that

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

If the app can't parse the probe message for whatever reason, it just defaults to 1 day, so that's probably why you're seeing now + exactly 24 hrs

It has to scrape the time in a very specific way (maybe a very bad way) so honestly any changes at all probably made it fall over
it basically goes
  • look for the "probation_warn" id
  • runs some regex on it that's hardcoded to look for "... until (timestamp). You [horrible monster or whatever]"
  • parse it as a date using MMMM d, yyyy hh:mm aa z

so yeah extremely brittle!

if you can just wrap the date in a span with an ID or whatever that would be easiest, just yoink it right out

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Yeah congratulations on your long tablet! awful.app is built to keep up with the latest technological innovations...

Tadhg posted:

Doesn't matter if the phone is standalone or in its dual case (it won't split across screens anyway, so idk.)

:fireman:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

nah it's not you - it's coded with whatever the like 2010 standards for :airquote:big are, and also that tablets :airquote:exist

I just called it awful.app I need some drat sleep

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

I just checked and awful.apk does not have the bug where you can post threads

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

II wouldn't like to speculate, gradle has some big lawyers

(I replied to your other post I hope it helps!)

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

+24 hours means it failed to parse so it's just going "eh whatever, maybe you can post in a day?"

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Could you add something like this?

Sereri posted:

unix-timestamp data-attribute would be perfect

then we can just grab that and it doesn't matter what the message looks like or if you ever tweak it in the future

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

honestly I'd be tempted to just say "you can't post for 3 hrs 21 minutes" or something. Maybe even have a countdown by having the view post a message to itself every second to update, for a laugh

but yeah just let the date stuff use the locale and figure out the date string if you wanted to do that. many heroes sacrificed their sanity to create those date time libraries :patriot:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

yeah that's a good video - I dunno how he managed to memorise all that, Tom has seen some times

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Tom would never cheat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

FreeMars posted:

Forgive me if this is the wrong place to ask, but on my wife's phone and account, when she goes to a thread she has read before, it always goes to the most recent page rather than the last post or last full page. I dont have the same issue and can't find a setting to change.

You mean, if she's read up to page 10 and there's 15 pages now, tapping the thread will open page 15?

It should always just take you to the next unread post, if there is one - so it should open the page that post is on, and if there are read posts on the page (and the hide option is enabled) they'll get hidden with the "tap to show" message

If there's no new posts, nothing unread, it should just take you to the last read post with nothing hidden - so the end of the last page, basically

Sometimes certain threads are haunted though so check if you can actually view the same thread maybe? You might get the same behaviour