Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

astral posted:

Just a heads-up that I plan to fix the thing where the forums are turning the 'original breadcrumbs' navigation into the 'redesign breadcrumbs' navigation with the fancy hover menu using javascript for some reason instead of just outputting the redesigned version to begin with.

:siren: If you have a third-party app or script that relies on the current breadcrumbs structure sent in the initial document you may need to alter it! :siren:

Tentatively, the goal will be for the forums to spit out HTML nearly identical to the result of the JS, but we'll see how well that goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astral
Apr 26, 2004

To be fair, it was always possible; it just was taking up to several days (or longer) to reflect that you'd changed any folders around. :)

And the UI is still extremely obtuse.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Recipient is on top on the forums, too.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

disguised as a weather app...well done

astral
Apr 26, 2004

My vote is "push the bookmark colors live for everyone instead"

astral
Apr 26, 2004

The Bloop posted:

Something is happening with this poster's av

They have an old HTML av that it looks like someone messed up changing; I'll queue a fix for it.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Carbon dioxide posted:

I'd be fine with Jeffrey removing the SA attachment feature entirely. We're not an image host and there's plenty of free image hosts out there.

For me the annoying thing is that if I want to share a dank meme posted as an SA attachment, outside of SA I have to go and download it first and upload it elsewhere because those direct links don't work properly, at least when you send them to someone without an account.

Personally I'd like to see it reworked and hosting images on e.g. amazon s3 instead.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Kerning Chameleon posted:

Probation banner is working fine now. :iiam:

Based on people's reports in this thread, it sounds related to (forum-side) AM/PM settings - it probably understands a probation time in the AM, but not PM.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

astral
Apr 26, 2004

hooah posted:

Huh, so it is. Has it been there a while? I feel like I've been using the various browser extensions to get that functionality for years, so maybe I missed when it became a part of the default forums.

LastInLine posted:

Pretty new, only a quarter century old at the oldest

This has been an option since SAVB version 2.0.2, the same version in which radium changed from using vB's subscribed threads system to the thread bookmark system you know and love. The same update added the buy/sell/trade/auction tags for SA-Mart.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Can you load that failing page with your web browser to see if someone on your ignore list posted there?
On the forum side we changed how ignored post placeholders display to no longer take up so much space; it's possible the app is trying to access information from one of the links that no longer exists (without failing gracefully).

astral
Apr 26, 2004

If you didn't already, you should make sure you can access the forums through a regular web browser on the phone as a good first troubleshooting step.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Blue Nation posted:

Yes, it did work with the browser, I got "checking if the site connection is secure" just before the forum loaded.

Cloudflare believes that some combination of your IP, user agent, etc. constitute a threat. Not being able to pass their managed challenge in the app likely reinforces that belief in their system.

Since you were able to get it to work properly with your data plan, it's most likely the IP itself triggering some red flags; perhaps a previous owner of that IP address did some malicious stuff. If your ISP assigns IP addresses dynamically, you might have better luck the next time it cycles (when/how this happens depends on your ISP).

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Sereri posted:

I pushed to button to move the update to :airquote:production:airquote: a couple of days ago and just got an email that google rejected it.

Apparently they tried to report someone in the iPad thread and couldn't find the button (because Ferg cheaped out on platinum for the test account 10 years ago :v:). Because of this, it violates their policy for user generated content.

So now i need to a) get platinum for the test account or hope Astral reads this and feels generous 🤞, and b) curate the account's bookmarked threads. They currently consist mostly of ancient IYG apple threads for comedic purposes and I think it's probably better if they gently caress around in a safe environment.

Non-plat are supposed to have reports as of april/may 2020 and I've just confirmed a "Registered" user can send a report; are you certain that's the real problem?

e: I suspect the real issue is was (now fixed) that that report buttons didn't show up on the site for vaulted threads (and it sounds like there are several old vaulted threads in the test account's bookmarks). Thank you for providing that additional information.

pokeyman posted:

I may also have forgotten to hide the report button from non-platinum-havers.

You were clearly just planning ahead for mid-2020.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

The forums only give you 10 results at a time, for reference, so it's not like the app devs arbitrarily chose it.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Sereri posted:

I'm mainly confused by the green lines in the screenshot, those should be white.

I believe that's a mockup of the feature they're suggesting.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

Please let the class know how linking images from Waffleimages, which existed explicitly and specifically for SomethingAwful users to host and link images from, worked out.

Some of them were lost because waffleimages used a distributed hosting model and several mirrors dropped out without warning, but a majority of the images were preserved by heroic individuals. :)

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I have a feature request, maybe this would also be good for the forums overall, and not just the app.

The ability to see where a given post is quoted further in the thread.

I was just looking through my bookmarks and a few threads were hundreds and hundreds of posts beyond when I last checked them. Sometimes, in those threads, I will have asked a question. Like in those 'help me remember a book/game/movie' threads. I'll ask my question, follow the thread for probably two weeks, and then assume that no one is going to be able to answer it. But what if, later on they had?

With this feature, and I do realize it's niche, I'd tap the dots on the post, select something like 'Find quotes of this horrible post' and would then be brought to a newly generated page that has my original post at the top, and then every post that quoted it listed below, obviously in chronological order.

Would literally anyone else want that? Am I the only one? I assume it's entirely possible given that every post has a unique ID that's used in all quotes of that post, especially now with the ability to click the link in a quote to go to the original post. So I'd assume it'd just be a matter of the app scrubbing the thread for any time that post ID shows up again. Not unlike how you can see all the posts from a given user, or yourself, in a thread.

When the forum search is overhauled, I'd like to add support for quoting:[specific post id].

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Hatebag posted:

I'm making this post from the browser version of sa.

[video type="youtube"]/watch?app=desktop&v=bZe5J8SVCYQ[/video]

e: it also happens using the browser version of sa

Hatebag posted:

e: the video urls were modified even in the code blocks. i input the missile video as a plain url within video tags as https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=bZe5J8SVCYQ

Hatebag posted:

another thing, this also affects youtube live embeds:

[video type="youtube"]/live/moeHr_XJ-T4?si=wGDVlbRFcHBWMZU4[/video]

Hi, I've altered the forums bbcode parser so it can handle the app=xyz parameter inside video bbcode tags, as well as /live/ youtube links. Additionally, the forums bbcode video heuristic will respect code blocks.

These changes should roll out in the next few days. I appreciate these bug reports! Gave you plat and archives as thanks. :cheers:

astral
Apr 26, 2004

tak posted:

does this mean it'll work for mobile YouTube urls too? that's pretty rad thank you

edit: youtu.be links I mean

Would you please share a youtu.be link that the forums are having trouble with?

e: if you have trouble posting it because the code block updates haven't rolled out yet, you can email it to me at [my username] @somethingawful.com

astral
Apr 26, 2004

tak posted:

YouTube Android app -> share -> copy url

normal paste: https://youtu.be/_wtZnrOJJM8?si=GnmHlSQDbhcu6PC9

bbcode button -> insert video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wtZnrOJJM8

edit: ohhhh it works with the bbcode, I guess I expected a plain paste to also work. my bad

A plain paste of that link does auto-tag on the forums if you have paste auto-tagging enabled, so any auto-tagging concerns there sound like they would be be an app issue rather than a forums issue.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

To clarify, when you paste it on the forums (with paste auto-tagging enabled) it auto-tags with a video tag.

If it does not auto-tag as a video tag when you paste it on the app, then that is an improvement that could be made to the app.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Beast Pussy posted:

Is there any way to hide forums or threads on the app? I've got bad brains, and need to block the politics threads from my life. Simply not checking them doesn't work for me.

Don't know about app features, but I saw this post so I hid the politics forums for you on the forums themselves; please contact a forum admin if you ever change your mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Beast Pussy posted:

This is super rad. Thank you so much. I don't suppose you could also hide the gbs trump lol thread?

You're welcome. We don't have thread-hiding tech on the forums, and if you were on a desktop I'd say you could use a custom user stylesheet, but that's not really an option with the apps.