Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
So, Bumblebee comes out in a week. It snuck up on me, too. The first critical reviews are coming out and they seem to be quite positive, much more than any other Transformers film. Initial reports do paint it as a soft reboot but it doesn't seem like it'll be truly consistent with any of the other films, especially with some of the spoilers floating around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

General Battuta posted:

I don't trust any Transformers that lacks Bay's mean-spirited nihilism and hatred of the franchise.

People are saying this movie has... heart? And is respectful to the franchise?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2avXbTFsXBc

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

K. Waste posted:

It's because it's exactly the kind of means-tested, feel-good garbage that critics prefer over the exceptionally mean-spirited trash of Bay's aesthetic, even if nobody can actually say that it's better written, acted, or shot in any way.

Yeah, a lot of the positive reviews say some combo of: Hooray, Bay is gone, it feels like G1, it has heart, it's the film we always deserved, it's respectful to the franchise...

I'm seeing in a few hours. For some reason, it seems to have been released a week early in Australia before the release date on all the websites and posters. :shrug:

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

The film is a flat reboot in disguise. It's incompatible with the previous films in pretty major ways -- Optimus and about seven other Autobots are already on Earth, Optimus explicitly sent Bee to Earth to protect it along with the humans, Shatter and her lieutenant are the first robots encountered by the US according to Sector 7, and is basically a remake of the first film. It's not horrible and I'd say it's better than the Marvel stuff I've seen recently, but it is getting positive reviews because this is the film people surely imagined they were getting when the first Transformers film was announced, especially given how much it borrows. It includes a lot of the stuff the first films were supposedly disliked for, such as wacky parent hijinks, but I have a feeling they'll escape comment this time around.

If this film does well, it will almost surely be the start of a new 'fan-friendly' Transformers cinematic universe. If it doesn't, it will remain a prequel. That's probably one of the big weaknesses of the film, that it sits in both of those spaces simultaneously. It also really invokes things from the previous films -- the score, while by a new composer, uses a lot of familiar bits from Jablonsky's scores.

The action lacks the insane limb-ripping murderous spectacle, of course.

Not horrible, not great -- it's basically what you'd expect. I think it could do really well but I wonder if franchise fatigue may hold it back. To quote George Lucas, it's the film fans want.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Dec 15, 2018

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

banned from Starbucks posted:

why does sector 7 even exist if these are the first robots ever encountered? Is megatron in it or mentioned at all?

No. Megatron is not mentioned at all nor is he seen in any of the Cybertron sequences. This is one of the things about the film that, here and there, feel like the film had to be a prequel (so it can be written off if it fails) or the start of a new movie franchise (if it succeeds.)

As for why Sector 7 exists, it's because - like Bumblebee's lack of voice - they're a Transformers thing. A young Simmons is seen.

Also, the Decepticons gave us the Internet. And the new Decepticons are pretty fun. I think it's telling that Shatter isn't seen dying because she's neat and I bet Hasbro would bring her back if there's a sequel.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Revenge of the Fallen does have that forest fight sequence.

I didn't particularly like The Last Knight that much, but that climactic sequence is just one of the most ambitious things put to film. Planets crashing into each other, fighter jets, giant robots, gravity shifting about... Incredible.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

AoE, definitely.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

TLK is awesome because Prime is a spiteful dick.

Prime: I must destroy Unicron to save Cybertron!
Megatron: I also must destroy Unicron to save Cybertron!
Prime: DEATH TO CYBERTRON DEATH TO QUINTESSA AUTOBOTS ROLL OUT FOR FREEDOM

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Arquinsiel posted:

You will never stop bragging about this to me will you? :v:
I am slightly sad that they dropped the car being another secret autobot TBH. Also sad that the toy never showed up here, even if it was just a one-step changer.

The secret Autobot change must have been late because there are some really obvious shots of the car arriving at Cade's place without anyone driving it.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

There’s a movie within movie buried in TLK with Megatron getting his crew back together and doing evil poo poo and I’m sad we didn’t really get to see most of it. His negotiating for his crew and them getting introductions was so detached from the rest of the movie it was almost hilarious.

And all but one of them die in their first confrontation with the Autobots.

Also, the part of it where Megatron asks for one of them and the military is like 'No, he's too crazy' and Megatron is like 'Well, okay, fine, I'll take this other guy.'

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

I would say this film was a mash-up of the idea of a Bay prequel Bumblebee film, and an idea Hasbro said they were working on around the time of Last Knight which was an all CGI Cybertron prequel film.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

A picture of a smug/smiling Michael Bay with the caption "Miss Me Yet?"

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

You are doing God's work.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Beast Wars? I can't think of anything I want less, and I'm sure that'd be another Mortal Engines.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

I wonder how the bit in Bumblebee, where Bee wakes up and he's in angry red-eye Decepticon mode and he just starts wasting people but then his eyes turn blue again an he becomes a nice Autobot factors into the Terry reading.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

also, it has a planet crashing into another planet, destroying the moon in the process

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Timby posted:

Didn't they already do that in Dark of the Moon, with Sentinel summoning Cybertron with the pillars?

no no that was cybertron appearing very close to earth

in last knight, cybertron literally smashes into earth and presumably kills millions of people. on the way to doing this, it breaks the moon up.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

MonsieurChoc posted:

I still want a whole movie based on this scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Y22PZjPRNI

i love the little look Lennox gives megatron at the end. it's such a bay thing that you get this sense that lennox respects megatron more than the people representing his government: pfft, lawyers, right? and the absurdity of megatron taking no for an answer is a great touch.

meanwhile, like half of these guys are murdered in their first fight scene in a number of seconds. especially onslaught, who probably comes across as the most sympathetic right at the end there.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Surprising no one, Bumblebee has been confirmed as the start of a new Transformers cinematic universe.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

good lord this is one of the more bizarre franchises around

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Arise, Threadimus Prime.

I've been watching these films with a friend of mine who, somehow, hasn't seen any of them before. His thoughts as a complete newbie have been interesting. We've gone through the first two so far, and he's said:

"These films have a really bizarre energy from the very first scene."

"Everyone in this film is some kind of weird psycho. Sam, Lennox, the parents, the robots, everyone."

"Mikaela is the only character who really does anything."

"The Autobots do not have a sincere regard for humans."

"Bay's view on the military seems to be: soldiers good, fancy toys good, bureaucracy/industrial complex bad."

"They were cutting up Megatron for parts while he was still conscious?"

"Give me the Cube-Boy!"

"Why didn't Optimus use the Cube as a weapon against Megatron?"

"I could listen to Optimus monologue forever."

"Is the division between Autobots and Decepticons cultural, political, or racial? I feel like they're different races of Transformer. They do not appear to be able to compromise."

"There's something about the Decepticon accusing Optimus of fascism before he shoots him in the head that's interesting."

"No one is safe from the sex jokes - not the parents, the dogs, not Sam, not even the robots."

"It's weird that Sam treats Bumblebee like a dog and not a sentient being."

"Convenient for Optimus that the All-Spark was their only record of history."

"The frats have comebacks in this - amazing."

"Prime: 'Allow me to justify my conquest of your society, you can't be like us so let me have my way.'"

"They said Decepticons came before Autobots."

"Holy poo poo, Sam just became the Cube-Boy!"

"'Give me your face!' Holy gently caress! 'I rise, you fall?' It was Optimus' revenge!"

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Assepoester posted:

With our second movie of the post-Bay era out in theaters, the Bayformers movies are undergoing a similar process that Star Wars did, where the new films that try to correct for the problems of the past films actually highlight what the older ones did well and make everyone nostalgic for them instead

Learning to Love Michael Bay's Transformers Movies
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVVSl9wtToc

I'm halfway through this, and this video clearly draws on this very thread (even showing it in the video), but it makes a lot of new points and has fascinating ideas and developments of things in the later movies in that framework. It's awesome, basically. Especially when it gets into the Unicron stuff.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Jun 24, 2023

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

I'm rewatching this series with my wife and there's a few things I've noticed or that she's mentioned. Like how Optimus talks so much but says so little and how Megatron is interesting to her from an immigrant's perspective -- he speaks Cybertronian and keeps his space jet mode -- and she considers the Autobots and Deceptions separate races. She pointed out that almost every character says one thing but does another.

What leaps out to me is that Revenge of the Fallen has a few gems in its unbelievable amount of mess. Sam's ability to identify Orion's Belt comes from him tearing through the textbook in thirty seconds, which is pretty funny, but also when his mom calls Soundwave a perverted mouth-breather, he is actually asking "Where is the boy?" which adds a neat wrinkle to why they abducted them: well, poo poo, we tried asking nicely...

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Feb 7, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

General Battuta posted:

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. Transformers One the victory over themselves. They loved Optimus Prime.

Boy, do they!

Ccs posted:

I would like a transformers movie that just looks exactly like the cybertron scene from Bumblebee. That was some pretty full cg shots.

I think when they announced a prequel film about Optimus and Megatron before they became, well, Optimus and Megatron, that a film with that style was what people assumed was being worked on. It seems to be what a lot of people expected, anyway.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Apr 20, 2024