Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

JediTalentAgent posted:

the Bay films sort of revel in their mean-spiritedness as a whole.

"I wanted to rub the human face in its own vomit and force it to look in the mirror."

- J.G. Ballard (on writing his novel Crash)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

More concept art from the new film, including an unused female robot:

http://imgur.com/a/D9T2d

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Still, saying "Optimus Prime fakes an aviation disaster" isn't really accurate.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Bay may not direct the next one (though hasn't he said that every time?):

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/movies/2014/08/07/michael-bay-transformers-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles/13295115/

Michael goddamn Bay posted:

"There's kind of a new chapter, a new direction in movies I want to make," says Bay, who is eyeing a passion project, a documentary on elephant poaching. "I have a lot of stories to tell. And it's about flexing new muscles."

A Bay documentary sounds good, but this ruins my ideal situation where he makes one last film tying up the Optimus vs. God(s) plot with Damon Lindelof as co-writer.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

Are you under the impression that Michael Bay likes elephant poaching? Because I'd assume that it's not going to be a glowing, feel-good documentary.

I think Kodiak was making fun of poo poo like this.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Snowman_McK posted:

This is one of the best threads I've ever read and I remain heartbroken that part 4 is yet to be covered.

If Terry can't do it we all should together.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Autobot, when it counts.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Anyone know why it took so long for that movie to be put on blu?

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Excelsiortothemax posted:

Any word on if the Dinobots are coming back? Seems odd to just loose giant barely sentient fire breathing metal monsters on the landscape and not reference it.

There's a robotic dragon in the teaser poster. And weren't the Dinobots implied to be the Knights of the Round Table or something? Seems like they're continuing with that theme.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

It's going to be revealed that Cybertron is just Earth in the future, and the Transformers are all descendants of those swarming robots Tucci's character made in the last movie. Bookmark me.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

As if the tagline for the new movie is "Rethink Your Heroes".

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

General Battuta posted:

So is the giant tentacle planet supposed to be Cyberton. Are they actually going to follow up on casually destroying it in 3?

I love how often this series involves Optimus loving up Decepticon plans to save their species from extinction.

I'm guessing somehow Earth is Cybertron.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

The alien ship in T4 and whole idea of Optimus going out into space to find God at the end always reminded me of Prometheus, too.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Yaws posted:

Man, these are in really poor taste...

Show your work.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

General Battuta posted:

This seems like...a pretty decent point, though? Like it's the opposite of the poo poo I'd expect from a 'female planes' rant.

The first sentence is pretty funny and baffling, though.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

I want Michael Bay to remake Inland Empire.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

mashed_penguin posted:

I'm a VFX nerd that just finished on trans 5. Some goon asked me if working on transformers 4 made me feel worthless as a human being so I look forward to your reactions.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

General Battuta posted:

This franchise's approach to continuity is quite Transformative, be pretty interesting to see if this movie follows up on its trailers and tries to explain why the god cube and the sun harvesting machine that caused a civil war and the moon spaceship all ended up here.

Earth is and always has been Cybertron.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

I hope the Witckickys are in the new one.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Anyone who has seen this want to chime in on how it fits or doesn't fit with OP's interpretations of the previous films?

Dexanth posted:

This movie is a glorious abomination of script writing that truly makes you wonder how humanity has come to this, and yet, somehow, you walk out going 'Im still gonna see the 6th one' even though rationally you know this has nothing redeeming about it at all apart from the visuals and total insanity

But the next one is supposedly not even going to be directed by Bay. Though he says that every time.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

GoldenGun posted:

What was up with the hilariously frequent changes in aspect ratio though? At a certain point it became so distracting that I was actively trying to determine if there was a consistency to it, but there was absolutely none. Sometimes it would just go from 16:9 to 2.35:1 with only a change of angle in the shot happening. I would really like to know more about it.

IIRC its because some parts were filmed with IMAX cameras.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Gatts posted:

Michael Bay is a wonderful treasure and human being and the world is brighter with him in it

The best in his filmography may be The Rock and Pain and Gain but the Transformer series is a great thing to have.

I'd say Pain & Gain because it is a happy medium between the satirical insanity of Transformers and his earlier, more serious movies like The Rock.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

Not enough love for The Island

SMG had some really good posts about Steve Buscemi's character being key to The Island that made me appreciate that movie a lot more.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

I know Transformers 2 probably has the worst reputation of the lot, but there's something really cool about how it was somewhat improvised (because of the writer's strike). Kinda like Bay's own Inland Empire.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

RedSpider posted:

Just turn your brain off and enjoy the spectacle.

This phrase makes me sad.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

RedSpider posted:

For describing expectations for the Transformers films?

The OP of this thread Terry van Feleday showed that you don't have to "turn off your brain" to appreciate and enjoy these movies.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Finally got to see this yesterday. I want to write a longer list of impressions at some point, but for now the part that stuck out the most was when they were fighting in that abandoned city (and they kept stressing that it was abandoned) but then there was a bored old black man in the side of one of the first shots there, a janitor inexplicably sweeping the floors of one of the half-destroyed abandoned buildings, and a random junkie shooting up in the background of one of the action sequences.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Movies aren't food.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Maluco Marinero posted:

But if they were, Transformers would be the burger that's trying way too hard to be near impossible to eat. Mainstream critics dismiss it as a waste of ingredients while next level critics celebrate its exploration of the morality of excess whilst indulging in that excess.

Except these movies are very possible to watch. In fact, I just watched one the other day.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Cubone posted:

A low rotten tomatoes score isn't critics saying amovie is "bad" in the same sense that an average moviegoer would, it's critics saying that, from their perspective as an experienced traveler, the movie fails as an experience. A critic can personally not enjoy a movie while still acknowledging that it's a "good" movie. When they say a movie is bad, they're saying something, thematically, is out of place, something jars and contradicts and works against something else, and the film as a whole feels dissonant and incomplete as a result.

But in this case that's exactly what makes these movies worth watching and discussing. They could have just been what they're reputation suggests: power fantasies where the adolescent hero saves the day and gets the girl with the help of his cool robot friends, punctuated with explosion after explosion. But there are so many parts that jar, contradict, and work against that. There's a dissonance between what a Transformers movie is 'supposed to be' and what these actually are.

It's a shame that we're still in Terry's thread but everyone seems to have moved on to ignoring her analysis, and the underlying idea behind it: What if we didn't discard all the parts of these movies that don't fit the marketing or the memes? What if we focused on those parts instead?

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Yaws posted:

Not everyone is going to treat that post like it's a holy writ.

True, but I didn't say anything about that. You've quoted me, but that's not a reply to anything I said.

Not only do I not expect people to treat her analysis like holy writ, I don't even necessarily expect anyone to agree with it at all. But new possibilities have been opened up here for looking at these movies and Michael Bay beyond the usual memes, and its a shame when they're ignored.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

a cock shaped fruit posted:

It's entertainment, sure - but it definitely isn't thought provoking or appreciable beyond novelty threads about deep seeded imaginary plot points involving megatrons robo-vagina on dead internet forums.

All that stuff is actually in the movies, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Robotnik Nudes posted:

I saw the Last Knight the other month and then I saw a bunch of actually good movies and, after avoiding too much CD for a while, I realized just how stupid and insane goons can be to desperately try to imagine depth in dumb movies for babies and do a Zizek LARP rather than trying to just watch a good loving movie once in a while.

What a heap of trash. I think Felix described these best as monuments a decadent society builds to itself.

Its not about the movies being deep, or good. The original analysis that started this all was about noticing the actual content of these movies doesn't fit how they are usually talked about or interpreted. That doesn't necessarily make them deep or good.