Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Milky Moor posted:

Megatron's opinion of Earth.

Literally. Earth is the Space Devil and one of the reasons Megatron wants to leave is so he can destroy it. This leads to the awesome and bizarre situation where Megatron is trying to kill Satan, but Optimus decides to save him because he happens to live on his back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Like I gotta give Bay props for literally making Earth a transformers but now that we know Unicron is Earth... then that means the transformers are the biggest gently caress ups in the universe. So, chronologically speaking, the ancient Primes go around the universe farming stars on the condition that it doesn't end any life. The Fallen says gently caress that and attempts to farm our sun by building the sun killer... on Unicron. Time passes and Cybertron has its war. The cube AND the teleport matrix are both lost in this war. Except they both land on Unicron (and the moon). The cube is fused to Megatron and the matrix is fused to Optimus. One kills and the other revives (it's poetry). So then Sentinel shows up to basically do what Quintessa wants to do. Then this movie has Quintessa do the same thing (where was she in Extinction if she was on Cybertron) by literally driving Cybertron to Unicron.

And during all of this, Hopkin's group of guarding the Transformers history and waiting for the prophecy of Cybertron coming... do nothing when Cybertron shows up on the third movie. Not to mention that you'd think our planet being a giant loving robot would show up at some point in history.

Like there is SO MUCH poo poo that's actively ignored between films I can't help but laugh at the obvious lack of giving a gently caress. The second you even try to think about it everything falls apart and you find yourself staring into an abyss of hopelessness. That said, if the next (and maybe final) film ends with Unicron waking up and in turn ending humanity and Earth forcing a few human refugees to now live as pets in Cybertron (which is now restored) I will forgive Bay for any and all inconsistencies. Double bonus if they do a Gurren Lagan and reveal the moon is ALSO a transformer and Prime fuses with it to form Giga Prime or something equally dumb.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
And then punch each other right

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Milky Moor posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but...

Okay, so, near the end, in the helicopter. English Girl says to Marky Mark some quip about tomorrows.

But Marky Mark never said that whole thing to her. Marky Mark said that tomorrow thing to Izabela, who never met English Girl.

It's to show that they are meant for each other

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
They really should have cut:
English girl fighting with the car
Buster Bluth
80% of the submarine bs
John Turturro in Cuba
Most of Josh Duhamel and the latest iteration of the useless human ally soldiers

To make room for more robot violence.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

John Turturro in Cuba was awesome and was needed for the whole "Transformers are now illegal immigrants" throughline. Fidel grants them amnesty and all Transformers in Cuba put down their arms and live in peace. That poo poo owned.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Milky Moor posted:

At the horns in the desert, a woman dressed in black admonises someone for touching the horn. "He doesn't like to be touched," she says. There's some dialogue along the lines of "What do you know about him?" from a scientist. "I can tell you how to kill him," the figure says, and the camera reveals that she looks just like Quintessa (it's the actress who played her) as a weird cybertronian-esque effect plays over her face.

Ah, I was under the impression that the female at the end was Unicron's/Earth's version of Quintessa, so she'd be basically the embodiment of Mother Earth as opposed to Quintessa's Mother Cybertron.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Sjs00 posted:

how do you gently caress up giant robots punching each other jfc

I mean they've been loving it up for years. Maybe not as catastrophically though.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Robot Style posted:

Literally. Earth is the Space Devil and one of the reasons Megatron wants to leave is so he can destroy it. This leads to the awesome and bizarre situation where Megatron is trying to kill Satan, but Optimus decides to save him because he happens to live on his back.

Exactly.

I also do like how Quintessa is open and honest with Optimus about Unicron and her plan to kill it, which Optimus agrees with (calling Unicron "our ancient enemy") until he gets his ego back and becomes a selfish rear end in a top hat. Quintessa is also seemingly responsible for the verdant fields on Cybertron which gives credence to her introducing herself as the Prime of Life

It gets a bit muddled by the whole prophecy thing which seems to indicate that there's a link between the proximity Cybertron and the stuff on Earth but it's basically unrelated. The mid-credits stinger is also weird because it sets up "I want to kill space Satan" as an ominous thing. Also the Knights of Cybertron calling her the Great Deceiver when she appears to be anything but.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Also, Quintessa being this female life-giver sort of ties back to Megatron and the baby Cybertronians throughout the films. Also, a line from Izabela in this film that might refer to TRF drones or the Decepticons: "There is always one in charge. Like a mother."

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Milky Moor posted:

Also the Knights of Cybertron calling her the Great Deceiver when she appears to be anything but.
Well, they are the dudes who decided [extreme closeup of bloody sword] was extremely their poo poo, so maybe not the best judges of character.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Robot Style posted:

Well, they are the dudes who decided [extreme closeup of bloody sword] was extremely their poo poo, so maybe not the best judges of character.

They also stole Quintessa's staff of power and hid it... in the ship that formed a part of her plans... on a planet that formed a part of her plans.

The Cybertronian race is not a very bright one.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Like I gotta give Bay props for literally making Earth a transformers but now that we know Unicron is Earth... then that means the transformers are the biggest gently caress ups in the universe. So, chronologically speaking, the ancient Primes go around the universe farming stars on the condition that it doesn't end any life. The Fallen says gently caress that and attempts to farm our sun by building the sun killer... on Unicron. Time passes and Cybertron has its war. The cube AND the teleport matrix are both lost in this war. Except they both land on Unicron (and the moon). The cube is fused to Megatron and the matrix is fused to Optimus. One kills and the other revives (it's poetry). So then Sentinel shows up to basically do what Quintessa wants to do. Then this movie has Quintessa do the same thing (where was she in Extinction if she was on Cybertron) by literally driving Cybertron to Unicron.

And during all of this, Hopkin's group of guarding the Transformers history and waiting for the prophecy of Cybertron coming... do nothing when Cybertron shows up on the third movie. Not to mention that you'd think our planet being a giant loving robot would show up at some point in history.

Like there is SO MUCH poo poo that's actively ignored between films I can't help but laugh at the obvious lack of giving a gently caress. The second you even try to think about it everything falls apart and you find yourself staring into an abyss of hopelessness. That said, if the next (and maybe final) film ends with Unicron waking up and in turn ending humanity and Earth forcing a few human refugees to now live as pets in Cybertron (which is now restored) I will forgive Bay for any and all inconsistencies. Double bonus if they do a Gurren Lagan and reveal the moon is ALSO a transformer and Prime fuses with it to form Giga Prime or something equally dumb.

There's also the reveals from AoE, that the Creators seeded Earth (Unicron) with living metal prior to the existence of the Primes. I guess Quintessa is a Prime, which the Primes then named themselves after, which the Autobots took the rank of Prime from? Maybe?

As far as where Quintessa was, well, I can only speculate that her return to Cybertron is very recent, as shown by the new fields of greenery around her space house. It also lines up with Lockdown's sudden arrival on Earth on a mission to "wipe the board clean". Basically, God came back and found out that her creations had destroyed her world and she's pissed. She sends her most loyal archangel -- Lockdown -- to bring both sides of the war to justice, but he gets murdered by Prime... whose crusade to kill his creators comes to an unfortunate end at around Jupiter.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Sjs00 posted:

how do you gently caress up giant robots punching each other jfc

Bay can't win. Bay goes all out balls to wall awesome and he's derided. Bay tones it down for people for mass consumption and he's told he hosed up.

Nerds don't like great physically handsome winning directors who put art to film I guess.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

On the plus side, the soundtrack should be out today or tomorrow.

edit: In Australia, it's out now on Itunes.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jun 22, 2017

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Gatts posted:

Bay can't win. Bay goes all out balls to wall awesome and he's derided. Bay tones it down for people for mass consumption and he's told he hosed up.

Nerds don't like great physically handsome winning directors who put art to film I guess.

He's a solid director. The scripts he works with are a mess.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I really want to know the behind-the-scenes story of the writing of this film. It feels like 5 or 6 guys each refusing to compromise on their ideas and deciding to just cram them all in.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I really want to know the behind-the-scenes story of the writing of this film. It feels like 5 or 6 guys each refusing to compromise on their ideas and deciding to just cram them all in.

That's exactly what happened.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Mr. Flunchy posted:

The movie is literally 3 movies mashed into one.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Man transformers lore is hosed up.

Autobots fight deceptions. Autobots throw life-giving spark out into deep space where it lands on earth Unicron . Which just also so happens to be the source of their ancient sun eating, energon creating pyramids. Which just so happens to also be where sentinel prime crash landed when he went to go meet Megatron so he could end their war by... Enslaving humans? Which just so happens to be a world that the creators created robot dinosaurs on.

And that world also happens to be space satan?

I really fell like the movies would have been better as megatrons plan of the week to get new energon cubes as opposed to the fifteen different ancient prophecy showdown.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Caros posted:

Man transformers lore is hosed up.

Autobots fight deceptions. Autobots throw life-giving spark out into deep space where it lands on earth Unicron . Which just also so happens to be the source of their ancient sun eating, energon creating pyramids. Which just so happens to also be where sentinel prime crash landed when he went to go meet Megatron so he could end their war by... Enslaving humans? Which just so happens to be a world that the creators created robot dinosaurs on.

And that world also happens to be space satan?

I really fell like the movies would have been better as megatrons plan of the week to get new energon cubes as opposed to the fifteen different ancient prophecy showdown.

There's something kind of cool about humans, who could be seen as the spawn of Unicron, basically corrupting and killing the servants of the ethereal bringer-of-life space goddess Quintessa.

stevesy
Aug 6, 2011

BYAAAAH
I'm not a hardcore Transformers fan but I like the movies, despite what people say. I saw the newest installment on Tuesday and had a question about the little blue robot Squeaks. Was Squeaks originally a Decepticon who turned good and befriended Izabella? I ask this because Squeaks is able to use a Decepticon weapon on his arm to blow up the big gun which allows the soldiers to complete their mission. If Squeaks was/is a Decepticon, do you think he'll play a larger role in the upcoming sequel?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I liked it. Not the best and I hope there's an expanded edition cause it's true it really felt stripped down but I'm gonna guess a full on Unicron vs Primus planet vs planet battle for a 6th is too much for Bay to pass up.

Also everyone are immature kids except the military. Besides being always presented well due to Bay's relationship with them, those guys are the ones in these movies as normal adult dudes who can tackle real world issues. Closest we got to that is John Malkovich's character who sees through to Bumblebee being a toy he can play with. Same with Lockdown and Kelsey Grammer's character. Based on Terry's reading.

Rhygezenguro
Feb 13, 2012
So, do movies normally change aspect ratios constantly and I've just never noticed or what? It happens like 50 times during the Britain car chase .

Aside from that I hated the movie and kinda wished I was watching the new King Arthur movie instead. It was just really boring and the action was really flaccid. I'll admit this was my first Transformers movie and I won't get roped into this poo poo again.

GoldenGun
Oct 21, 2005

In heaven everything is fine
Once again I loved the relentless insanity and the visual splendor. The rythm Bay establishes in the action and editing is in a class of its own.

What was up with the hilariously frequent changes in aspect ratio though? At a certain point it became so distracting that I was actively trying to determine if there was a consistency to it, but there was absolutely none. Sometimes it would just go from 16:9 to 2.35:1 with only a change of angle in the shot happening. I would really like to know more about it.

GoldenGun fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Jun 23, 2017

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

GoldenGun posted:

What was up with the hilariously frequent changes in aspect ratio though? At a certain point it became so distracting that I was actively trying to determine if there was a consistency to it, but there was absolutely none. Sometimes it would just go from 16:9 to 2.35:1 with only a change of angle in the shot happening. I would really like to know more about it.

IIRC its because some parts were filmed with IMAX cameras.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

GoldenGun posted:

Once again I loved the relentless insanity and the visual splendor. The rythm Bay establishes in the action and editing is in a class of its own.

There's no real rhyme or reason to it. AoE did it a lot as well.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
As did Dark Knight Rises.

GoldenGun
Oct 21, 2005

In heaven everything is fine

Lord Krangdar posted:

IIRC its because some parts were filmed with IMAX cameras.

That's right, but AFAIK in other films you only see whole sequences with a certain aspect ratio where IMAX cameras are used. But here it often literally changed each shot. Didn't notice that in AoE or Dark Knight Rises really.

GoldenGun fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Jun 23, 2017

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
it's pretty great watching people in lindsay ellis' twitter feed break down in utter confusion after finding out that megan fox's character is called mikaela banes

just a giant ball of inane conspiracies surrounding michael bay's deep inner feelings and how he wants to gently caress america/shia lebouf/it's his 'girlsona'

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtqsmjrPCxw

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

ungulateman posted:

it's pretty great watching people in lindsay ellis' twitter feed break down in utter confusion after finding out that megan fox's character is called mikaela banes

just a giant ball of inane conspiracies surrounding michael bay's deep inner feelings and how he wants to gently caress america/shia lebouf/it's his 'girlsona'

Michael Bay is a wonderful treasure and human being and the world is brighter with him in it

The best in his filmography may be The Rock and Pain and Gain but the Transformer series is a great thing to have.

Gatts fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Jun 23, 2017

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

I like the thing the film did with eyes.

In brief: Autobots have blue eyes, Decepticons have red eyes. The only character we've seen with different eyes is Lockdown, who stands above and away from that dichotomy ("Autobots, Decepticons, like little children...) in the service of a greater power. Notably, Quintessa also has blue eyes. Now, when Prime pledges his allegiance to Quintessa, his eyes turn purple. While some might argue that this is proof of Unicron's corruption, as that is how TF media often uses the color, one only needs to look to how Bay used Galvatron to prove that you can't really read anything into Transformers from outside sources. So Optimus Prime -- Nemesis Prime, as he is dubbed -- becomes, in a sense, the perfect Cybertronian, a model for ending the war, killing Unicron the Space Satan and joining the disparate halves of Cybertronian society by pledging allegiance to a life-bringing God. And then, exposed to humanity and the psychotic Autobots, he falls from grace and back to barbarism.

Coco Rodreguiz
Jan 12, 2007

Peckerhead isn't used enough as an insult if you ask me.
Buddy and I both saw this last night and were just slack-jawed in awe about how crazy and confusing this was.

A lot of shots I couldn't follow where characters stood in physical relation to each other, or what the area/building they're on actually looks like which made me super disoriented.

NITRO ZEUS

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

This was also the name of a US program to shut down Iran's infrastructure with cyber attacks in case they ever started firing up nukes

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The big twist from this movie was a storyline from Transformers Prime, and it was executed far better there.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Gatts posted:

Michael Bay is a wonderful treasure and human being and the world is brighter with him in it

The best in his filmography may be The Rock and Pain and Gain but the Transformer series is a great thing to have.

I'd say Pain & Gain because it is a happy medium between the satirical insanity of Transformers and his earlier, more serious movies like The Rock.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 minutes!
Not enough love for The Island

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

MacheteZombie posted:

Bad Boys 2 is definitely his best

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

SMG had some really good posts about Steve Buscemi's character being key to The Island that made me appreciate that movie a lot more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Going to see the new transformers in an hour, cant wait.