Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

seaborgium posted:

This was an amazing read. I look forward to more of this type of thing from you. Though I am curious how you're going to handle the whole Clonus/The Island situation.

What do you mean? There may be some interesting intertextuality between the two films, but mostly the situation is what it is. A big budget film has a very similar plot to a b movie from 4 decades prior. They're far from identical, even in plot terms, and thematically they're even less similar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

seaborgium posted:

It's been a while since I've seen Clonus but I remember there being some almost identical shots, accounting for technology and budget differences of course.

Is that a problem? Films quote other films all the time. It would be kind of weird and dumb for The Island not to quote Clonus, or Blade Runner, for example. Just like it makes sense that Bay later quoted The Island in Transformers, because they have some very similar things to say about conflating identify with branding.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

etalian posted:

Best creepy moment was trying to spin a 20 year old guy being with 17 year old girl as something cute and romantic.

That's not really creepy but it does make him a loser.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Neurolimal posted:

You're watching the movie to see robots punching each other and doing cool stuff, toys or no toys, you're not watching for Bud Light or impromptu trips to China. I genuinely do-not-care if it's intentional or not, it's obnoxious and bizarre, especially when any sort of progression or impact is suddenly dropped to say "time to pander to the chinese market!". You can say that it being obnoxious and bizarre is the subversive "point" of the movie, but I (and likely the guy I quoted) do-not-care-at-all

I guess it depends on if you consider it an advertisement if you're specifically going there to watch the subject matter of that "advertisement"; if you were going to see Bud Light Man or The Guy Who Suddenly Shows Up In China, you might not complain about those things ((and would instead be complaining about all the not-quite-realistic-enough CGI robots smashing through all the lovingly rendered bud light bottles), but you aren't.

So really the problem is that the ads for the ad lied to you - you thought it was a movie about robot punches, it's really a movie about ads. Sorry ads are fundamentally dishonest and give you a warped perception of reality - but the good news is I know some movies about that you might want to watch.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Milky Moor posted:

Widow Maker is the same character that the guy who did Lockdown made up. Pretty neat.

Interesting that she was conceived with so much more human of a face. Having only seen each of these once, are the female transformers (transformer? I forget) that have shown up similar?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Good, Churchill was scum.

Probably just convenient but it's a pretty nasty burn on Winston anyway

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Churchill proudly presided over a genocide nobody gives a gently caress about.

And talked poo poo about the victims during and after. He was one of the foremost cavalier shits about WW1's attrition rate, too.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

This is just a setup for OPtimus to commit some atrocities as a "bad guy" then once he regains control he retaliates by doing even worse poo poo to the actual bad guy.

You ever seen a planet get its face ripped off? You're about to.

I can't stop laughing at everything about this movie. These are the weirdest blockbuster movies ever made and I'm not sure they can be topped.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

banned from Starbucks posted:

also lol if you legit believe Hopkins sat through more than 5 minutes of any of that poo poo

I don't think the director of Slipstream is characterized by his extremely subdued and classical taste

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

All of the UK actors you can name have no qualms whatsoever about being in total garbage. They seem much less confused about the high art/low art thing than Americans. All films are low art.

You and I have talked about this before but I think we colonials just get fooled by the accent

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Dude's in loving Bram Stoker's Dracula, and not only that, he's one of the few people in the movie who acts like he gives a poo poo.

e: I guess you could make a case for Gary Oldman, too

When did you last see it? Whatever BSD is, it ain't low effort

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Hat Thoughts posted:

the planes simply do not look like female planes should

lol drat I'd forgotten about that.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Shannon and hopkins both confirming my preconception that the best actors are the ones who don't consider it a High Art the dignity of which must be preserved. Acting is and should be a vulgar pursuit

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Xenomrph posted:

Has CGI gotten more affordable over time? Computer technology prices always trend downward over time.

Hard to say because movie budgets and tech salaries/contracts are both 85% bullshit

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I can’t believe this needs to be said but I have kids and yeah the play with toys and want you to buy expensive branded ones still

This will not end

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Wandle Cax posted:

Yeah, Bumblebee was going for the audience who enjoy things like story, and characters, and comprehensible action scenes in their films.

That's not a demographic, it's just you bragging about how you like better robot movies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Dabir posted:

I noticed the links were down last month and went looking to see if a copy had been preserved by the wayback machine. No luck there, but it was archived on PDF Archive. I didn't even realise this thread was still live, or I'd have posted it here.

Thanks for this, Terry did incredible work on this thread and it would be shame to lose it.