Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Oh poo poo I was part of the OPM breach too, wheres my money!

Did you submit a claim before the deadline? https://www.opmdatabreach.com/ If you didn't, you're SOL at this point unfortunately.

Also I logged into my Comcast account just now to reset my password and learned my bill is going up $4 next month too. Just great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

poo poo not pissing me off: out of office on, Slack app uninstalled from my phone, email syncing turned off. Off work until January 8 and not gonna think about it unless poo poo is literally burning down and I get a phone call from my boss. I am currently drinking a beer. :toot:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

teethgrinder posted:

Really appreciate the Android work profile feature. No uninstall required.

I just do it so I'm not tempted to open it when I get bored. I have poor self control. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Didn't know about the work profile feature though, I'll have to look into that.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Hughmoris posted:

Gotta return to work tomorrow after having the past 3 weeks off.

I am seething. :mad:

Same except only two weeks. I really should have made it three.

As per usual I've messed up my sleep schedule too so getting up early tomorrow is going to suckkkk

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Internet Explorer posted:

We bought a house a couple of years ago and we're constantly working on it and the various tech stuff. We both work from home, we both spend a lot of time here, so we're just always working on improving various things. That added to a long list of hobbies, I feel like I never have enough time. Every time I'm out of work for a few days I have the time and energy to get so much done. Then, back to the grind, and poo poo just piles up.

I feel this. I bought a fixer upper a couple years ago and before home ownership I had hobbies, and now I have a house. I spent the majority of the last two weeks restoring three of the ~80yo interior doors and installing and painting trim. It feels impossible to make much progress without taking some time off because I have no desire to start up some project after my work day ends, then when the weekend hits the last thing I wanna do is spend my Saturday sanding a loving door. I definitely feel like Sisyphus at times.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

xzzy posted:

Emeritus status was a mistake.

Dusty old farts throwing their weight around trying to keep the environment 20 years in the past. Go chill out on a beach, quit loving working and let the rest of us actually enjoy some progress.

Mine just like to call Microsoft Tech Support and then give scammers full access to their (still owned by the university for some godforsaken reason) devices. :smithcloud:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I just wrote this huge long rant with way too many details and have deleted it because poo poo pissing me off: people just straight up lying?

Submitted a ticket to a guy. More than a week goes by, no response no update. This is a common problem with this guy and his team, to the point that my boss has had multiple meetings with his boss about it. My boss eventually pings his boss about my ticket and I just got a response from the guy of "oh, so sorry, I never saw the ticket because it was assigned to me directly. In the future always assign tickets to <a group that this guy is a member of, along with only like 2 other people??> and never to me personally". Like, what? First of all, our ticketing system has a "read by" list. He read the ticket as soon as I submitted it! And every single time it sent him a reminder email because of the escalating SLA due to no response!! Secondly, he doesn't know how to read a ticket that is assigned to him directly? This entire situation is because of a skills issue (on his part) but there is no way he is that incompetent. So, lying then? Just why?

arghhhhhh

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Feb 23, 2024

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Fil5000 posted:

Now does he slam that evil or am I thinking of the Phantom?

(I unironically love this move so much)

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Had a real poo poo day, this is the hardest I've laughed in a bit, thank you

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Spent like 50 hours working on an inventory reconciliation project over the last 2 weeks or so, I have been looking at spreadsheets so much I am starting to have dreams about them.

If that wasn't bad enough, I identified a couple dozen devices that don't exist in our inventory. Sent tickets to the various teams responsible for managing these devices, and asked them to create records. One team's manager just...deleted all my tickets? And said their team just doesn't have time??? Another closed a ticket saying that until an official policy exists, they were not going to make inventory records for VMs????????

:psyduck:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

My boss is currently on vacation but we will definitely be having a discussion about it when he comes back. Also, probably because he is on vacation, multiple people complained about me to his boss, who then told my coworker to tell me not to make any more tickets. I got grief from multiple managers immediately yesterday after creating all the tickets, and was feeling pretty bad about it all last night, but knowing they also went and cried about how I asked them to do their job? just lmao

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

SyNack Sassimov posted:

I mean at least VMs can't fall into spec buckets...

Could be a koan.

quote:

If a VM falls into a spec bucket, does it make a splash?

:thunkher:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

guppy posted:

It's a bit presumptuous to create tickets and assign them to another team.

lol

The org structure here is such that I am basically tier 3, and tickets were going to tier 2. Sending tickets to T2 asking them to fix poo poo is a not insignificant part of my job, it doesn't happen every day but it is pretty routine. Some days I might send 2 tickets, some days I might send 40. I am also not the only one in my team who tickets issues out to T2. The manager that made the biggest fuss got all of 8 tickets. Tickets were marked low priority, and I had no expectation that they needed to be resolved same day or even same week. It is a 1-5min job really. Other T2 groups resolved the tickets I sent them and didn't yell at me about it. If I have learned anything it is that I have a fundamentally different understanding of how a ticketing system works compared to several teams in my org.

Majority of VMs in our environment are tracked in inventory and I wasn't aware until this week that we needed to literally have that in writing somewhere to ensure compliance with organizational norms. I'm sure there will be some meetings about it.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Reoxygenation posted:

I think using Bing was somewhat worth it with a microsoft account cause you could accumulate points to trade in for poo poo with actual monetary value, gently caress using it with that new garbage though lol

Need web rings to come back so I don't have to use search engines anymore

I won so many copies of Vista (that I then sold on eBay) with those Live Search 'games' that inflated their search user numbers. Had a boring AF campus job at the time and had bots going on like a half dozen spare laptops. Ah, the good ole days.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Manually inventorying anything is loving dumb. I hate it so much. I have been advocating for an automated inventory solution for years now and there is never enough funding or time or [insert excuse here]. So instead I have to nag people to update their poo poo when they forget, or make a new record when they don't. I do not enjoy doing this, it is a waste of everyone's time, and I wish we had a better way. But we don't, I have been told our existing solution must be our source of truth, and thus I have to tell people to add their VMs there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

mllaneza posted:

Show me a screenshot and your search term, let's compare. I'm worried about enshittification, but I'm not personally seeing it yet.

I've had like half a dozen users click on malicious search result ads on Google who end up calling 'Microsoft Tech Support'. They get told to install remote access software, and then I get to spend sometimes dozens of hours doing a forensic audit on their device. It is real and it is bad.