Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Demonachizer posted:

I would posit that people like that have a big bearing on you if you have to work with them at all or if their work can affect yours. People who stay in one position too long stagnate and their bad habits seem to amplify and additionally rub off on new hires because they often look towards the people that have been there a long time for guidance.

I'm surrounded by people that should have been put out to pasture 15 years ago and it's incredibly infuriating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
There's a difference between "I'm happy where I am, and I'm going to keep my skills current to continue to be good at this job." and "I'm happy where I am and doing things the same way forever." I'm surrounded by the latter.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Sickening posted:

The basics are easy but there is plenty of stuff that just isn't that mainstream. For example, did you know that you if downloaded windows updates seperately and added them to the packages that your installation is going to fail? Its due to some windows updates that were made aren't offline installable. Sometimes these updates are documented, sometimes they aren't, and its basically trial and error to figure out which updates are going to blow up your installation. There are a ton of other things just like that have been bugged for years that they haven't gotten around to fix.

No, see the shittiest thing is Windows Features in Server 2012/2012 R2. If you install a Core install, not much gets installed. If you then go to install features, you can install them from Windows Update (I think) or your original install media, easy peasy (as easy peasy as any command line driven Microsoft action). So let's say you've patched your Core install, and you want to add a feature. It won't work from Windows Update, for whatever reason, and it won't install from your original media, because since you've patched your OS, your OS and the install media are at different versions.

So the solution is to keep a copy of the install media on a network share somewhere, and when you apply updates to your Servers, you have to manually download the patch files and apply them to that media using dism. Is there an easy way to see what patches you need and apply a bunch into your offline media? ABSOLUTELY NOT!

I had this thought, and a friend that works in Development in Microsoft basically confirmed it, that Microsoft really has no idea what they're doing, they just have a bunch of teams doing things and somehow it makes some kind of OS, but nobody is really making sure it all works together in a sane way.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Had my second interview today, according to an insider that alone is a really good sign. Very strong :yotj: potential.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

vibur posted:

Just last week, I had to convince the bosses to spring for a new server-class machine. I spec'd out what I wanted and gave them prices for that and 2 more robust options. Imagine my shock when they went for the middle option. Doing this every time from now on.

Some people needed some laptops, so I configured the absolute most powerful Dell Latitude with all the bells & whistles, coming in at around $2000. I expected the guy to balk at the price and then I'd hem and haw and take off some things and get it down to $1400 or so. Anyway I gave him the $2000 quote and he was like "OK get it." :unsmith:

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Also WTF am I doing :words:ing about lovely laptop purchases when I just got a :yotj: into a senior admin role.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

NZAmoeba posted:

Congrats! Was this the one with the group interview you were worried about?

That would be the one. The hiring manager called me but I was at the dentist so he sent me an email with the subject "touch base" so I start freaking out and trying to get a hold of him trying to figure out why I hadn't gotten the job and when I finally got a hold of him he offered me the job and sounded like he was relieved and surprised that I accepted it.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

flosofl posted:

Uh, oh.

Seriously, congrats.

Maybe should have negotiated beyond the 10% pay increase he offered (though when I got the official offer it was closer to 11.5% [since I'm still working at the same university, just different department, they can look up my exact salary so no fibbing there, and also I was fairly well paid to begin with) but I was just so drat happy to be able to get out of the job I have now.

E: Also no Christmas bonus, but my last day at current job is the day after Christmas (though Christmas Eve is last work day) and because of reasons I have to cash out 25 hours of vacation, so that will be a nice little bonus.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Dick Trauma posted:

After lunch I'm going to the tailor to see about getting a suit made, and then I'm off to finally buy some grown-up shoes.

You probably don't need to have one custom made (and you wouldn't actually be getting that, unless you're spending thousands of dollars). Come to the suit Megathread, we can help you out: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3522719

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Apparently my whole group is planning on piling in a van and driving down to Chicago for Ignite(from Minneapolis). It'll be my first tech conference of any kind, really looking forward to it.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
There was discussion about putting something on the side of the van.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
A computer is a tool, it performs a function. Some tools are better at certain functions than other tools. It would be ridiculous for me to say "drills are better than hammers" because it doesn't make any sense. Use the best tool for the job, because a computer is just a tool.

Not unlike your new director.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Reminds me of my 10th grade history class. We had a quiz on every 'section' we read but we were able to use our notes, so the implication is that we should read and take notes so that we would have no problems on the test. I remember a section on immigration or something and the first page had a big picture of a ship from the early 20th century, presumably full of immigrants. On the quiz for that section was the question: What was the name of the ship on the first page?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I guess we run an entire PCI AD enviroment, but we're trying as hard as we can to push everybody using it to vendor provided solutions because we're trying as hard as we can to just wash our hands of it.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I loved it when my old boss would interpret my attempts to steer users to correct supper channels as my being lazy. No! I was doing it because it was better for the customer! The fact that it also resulted in less work for me was a merely a pleasant side effect. That was management by suffering or something, if you're not suffering you're not doing your job.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Had to present to CAB today, and got a little murdered. It wasn't my change I was defending, and I think I was screwed going in, but quite a few people told me that I held up better than expected.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
To be fair, grown loving adults are writing far too much literature these days.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
5 and a half years ago when I was graduating college and looking for jobs, I got in contact with a placement agency and after a face to face meeting where the recruiter asked me to send him my references, and then he fell off the face of the earth.

I got a message on LinkedIn from the same agency today. I doooooooon't think so.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I don't know, if you're gonna fire a recruiter, put a bounce back on their email. I just changed jobs a little over 2 months ago, so I'm not looking. But if your general recruiting company can't bother to setup out of office replies for terminated employees, I have a hard time believing you're going to really be an advocate for me.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
It's like hardware vendors don't understand that no matter what they do to their business line, some jackwagon exec somewhere is gonna want a consumer laptop.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Coredump posted:

My thing is that my boss and the person who sent the student worker apparently already had a conversation going about this laptop that I wasn't included in on. So should I be getting reprimanded for not creating a ticket for a machine that I have no idea if a ticket exists already or if it really needs a ticket? He's telling me I should leave him a note on what he needs to do with a machine I leave him in his office. I didn't have this information, the person who dropped off the laptop didn't have this information, but he did already. No doubt I hosed up not getting a note on the machine, but I don't think that little slip warrants all that.

But hey if I'm reading into weird then I'm willing to accept that too.

Oops, just saw this. Alright, I'm being ridiculous.

If it makes you feel any better, I'm sure you're boss did something wrong somewhere in there, but overall you're in the wrong. I've been in your position, where you're so mad at the people and the process that you immediately blame them when something goes wrong. 99% it is their fault, but it makes it hard to see the 1% when you are actually in the wrong. My solution was to :yotj:

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Some people are bad at troubleshooting and aren't able to isolate the cause of a problem (hell I've screwed it up a few times) and then probably once there was a machine that wouldn't boot because the hard drive was bad so now every time a machine doesn't boot it's because the hard drive is bad.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Merchant crew checking in.

I understand why they do it, but it annoys me that every person comes out with a positive description. There's always at least one turd that doesn't deserve the positive characterization these personality surveys give.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

I have so many stories. Sorry to keep telling anecdotes, but one time a hedge fund I worked for called me at 6am. I happened to be at another client nearby. The elevator had broken so they couldn't get into their office. There was a door by the back entrance up the fire stairs, but it didn't open from the outside. The guy said "I don't care what you have to do, but we need to get into the office so we can trade!" I asked him why he called his IT guy of all people, and his answer was basically "you solve problems. so solve this one."

I ended up getting a sludge hammer (there was construction going on in another floor) and beating their door down so they could enter the office. I made sure the owner was there, so when the alarm went off and the police arrived I wasn't arrested.

If a group of people that are generally respectful to you as the IT guy ask you to gain access because it's a problem and you're good at solving problems, then I'd say that's actually one of the highest forms of praise from end users :3

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I've found that the more abhorrent your views, the less likely you are to realize that not everybody shares them.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

tomapot posted:

Not pissing me off: I'm in Chicago for the Microsoft Ignite conference, currently at a Cubs game with a bunch of SharePoint geeks.
Any other goons here this week?

My boss said we would go in January and then a few times a month I'd ask him about and he'd say "maybe" and then finally he said "welp all the hotels are sold out I guess we're not going." It's like, why the gently caress do you think I kept asking you about it?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
So let's talk about IPv6.

We support IPv6. Our team is trying to go whole hog. The network side is... iffy on IPv6. Our IP management tool has no knowledge of IPv6. I don't think we're running DHCPv6. The network team can manually assign IPv6 addresses to host names. So we have one vlan that is fully dual stacked, with both IPv4 and IPv6 addresses. To get one of these IPv6 addresses:

Find the MAC address pre assigned in our IP management tool (it also handles DHCP). Give your machine that Mac address (hope it's virtual!). Turn off IPv6 privacy extensions, and the Mac Addresses and assigned IPv6 addresses have been constructed in such a way that the client will auto assign itself an IP based on its Mac address, and that IP is what is in DNS.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Apparently this is the "best we can do" with IPv6 now. I don't know why this has to be "political" but it is. The network team is more willing to work with us because we've done these ridiculous gymnastics to uses IPv6. Apparently looking at this house of cards and saying "sorry no this won't work for production infrastructure" is not being a team player or something.

This all started because I'm dual stacking our SCCM infrastructure. It's all virtual except for the database server, which is physical. I asked my boss what to do about the physical server, and he said just to leave it as IPv4 only.

Yup, we're IPv6 ready!

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
It seems like a bad idea to have a non-stable address for a server that people are accessing. If I assign a hostname to an IPv6 address I want to make sure that machine gets that address.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
But what if I change the NIC or even the whole machine? In the life of a machine a MAC address doesn't really seem immutable to me, I'm not sure why I'd want to tie my public identity to that hardware address.

For desktop clients where you have a good DNS system (hint: we don't) I can see it make sense, but it just doesn't feel right for me to depend on that for a user facing service... Maybe I'm old fashioned. IPv6 seems way too complicated. Just give us more IPs and let God sort the rest out.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

evol262 posted:

Then you can use static assignments. But "what if I change the NIC or even the whole machine" really isn't a different issue than the same problem with MAC reservations on IPv4. You change the A (or AAAA), the PTR, or configure the host to use the old address in some configuration file. Since you can calculate the SLAAC address with a tiny bit of code or just do a DNS lookup (because changing the NIC isn't going to make the record disappear), this really isn't hard to do.

For the network team, the fact that they can pull a list of MACs and pre-generate complete DNS records with a tiny amount of work because they already know what the IPs are going to be without going through a whole "requisition a static address for this IP/MAC combination, go updated dhcpd.conf, go update zonefiles for DNS and RDNS" mess for every machine is a godsend. For you, it's the same amount of work as it always would have been with ipv4.

Ok, yeah, basically, if I want a fixed address I should just use a fixed address, that makes sense.

I'm still boggling my mind at calling our implementation "production ready" though.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
So you know how you just shouldn't discuss politics in the office, especially when you know your coworkers have varying political views?

Well if you're a vendor rep with us for the week, probably don't randomly bring up politics. I at least have an idea of where my coworkers are and now where to stay to keep me from wanting to rip their eyes out, but as a visitor for four days, you have no idea. Stay on the safe side, if you have to talk about the news, talk about the Patriots and their deflated balls.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I have a mid range gaming laptop (Lenovo Y50) so I can hang out in the living room with my wife rather than have to hide away in some other room.

It's almost like different people prioritize things differently which leads them to make different decisions!

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Oh cool, my wife and I were at the Wildflower festival on Saturday. Great area.

Seriously, I've lived in a lot of places in my life, but DFW, this is home to me. The only downside to the whole thing, well, it's May 18th and my wife and I went on a walk tonight and it was hot and humid on May 18th, much less what's to come.

To keep the thread on topic, poo poo that pisses me off: right now? Nothing. We're closing on a house, my wife is a thing which I can neither confirm nor deny because it's not confirmed until about 3 months in so I would never dare to hint at anything ahead of time, and my job mostly consists of exercising at home, reading at home, cleaning at home, watching TV at home, studying for certs at home, and answering like 4 emails per day because no one else seems to be able to know what I know so I'm deemed indispensable. Could stand a pay raise, guess that's pissing me off, grrrr, stupid work not paying me more.

See it's funny because it was 45 degrees today in Minneapolis, right on the other end of 35 (what I told the Microsoft support engineer when I found out he was in Dallas).

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Sickening posted:

Do you not have any ups's or are they just broken? What kind of busted ups's are you running that don't do basic self tests?

In my last job we had a bunch of these ferropower UPSs and then we had a few UPC UPSs. So some student worker was told to take a laptop and a serial cable and plug it into every UPS and run this UPS check program and record the results. So she goes around and checks all the Ferropower UPSs no problems and then plugs the serial cable into the APC UPS and clicks the "check" button and it reboots the UPS. It was a Ferropower specific program, and it just so turns out that the serial command for the Ferrpower to very kindly return the current status is the same command for "hard cycle the APC UPS"

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Sickening posted:

Remote Desktop Connection manager is a loving great application. If you aren't using it, you are missing out.

I only recently discovered this and it's pretty great.

I also recently learned that you can copy/paste files from your desktop into an RDP session, and that totally blew my mind.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Commute chat: Mine is about 30 minutes door to door, but it's broken up kind of miserably, 2 minute walk to train, 0-10 minute wait for train, 8 minute train ride, 0-10 minute wait for another train, 8 more minutes, 2 minute walk from train to desk.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
It could originally mean "in case of" which in the company could be twisted to mean an explanation of why a thing was done. Which is a reasonable thing to ask, but to just blindly scream "ICO ICO ICO" is not.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Speaking of it being a waste to make cables as a Senior Sysadmin, a cable might be loose in our datacenter that's halfway across campus (about 3/4 of a mile and walking is about the best way to geth there), and there are staff that work in that data center, but it's our job to send someone over to check if the cable is loose or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Man I use the poo poo out of my insurance, which is great, because I keep accumulating chronic conditions. Started with Type 1 diabetes, now I'm diagnosted with ADHD, might have a sleep disorder...