Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Is there some special definition of "initials" I missed? That should be "H.S." or "H.C.S." or "H.C.F.S.".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

ConfusedUs posted:

Drive was plugged into an ancient server with USB1. One.

Now just give them a new 8TB or 10TB helium disk. How long will that take to backup or restore?

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Thanks Ants posted:

One of our service manager people pulled us into a meeting after a customers on-site mail server poo poo the bed and they lost email access for half a day, and asked what we were going to do to ensure it never happened again. Answering "have more than one of something" wasn't the correct answer.

I've given up trying to explain to people how you can't guarantee uptimes, only work towards them.

It's the 20-10s the answer is always ~~:yayclod:~~

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

psydude posted:

You're a loving network engineer.

A lot of network engineers hide behind their credentials and are just as incompetent as everyone else is at their job. I find it funnier when you get to gigantic organizations like Century Link that have to refer all US based issues to one or two engineers in the UK to get anything done :lol:

Still waiting 3 months+ on a network switch configuration change in Texas, apparently the network engineer in India the case is assigned to is on maternity leave and no one else in the group wants to touch it.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

spog posted:

A $3,000 desk and you still have to use two packs of paper to get the monitors at the right height?

It's the $300 Dell chunky laptop hiding in the corner makes the interesting comparison.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Lightning Jim posted:

Yeah, those aren't that cheap or chunky. (God, Inspirons are another story, though. HTH they are now in the Client/Business support sphere I'll never know. At least I know XPS & Alienware are because CEOs gotta show off.)

I mentioned the price we get them, you must be dealing with some terrible hardware if you think it isn't chunky. I can't stand to use it for anything other than a terminal as it is so rear end, I'm certainly not lugging it around. Engineers are replacing them with Lenovo X1 Carbon's now, they're smaller but the disk and memory are just as bad or worse.

I hide it as much as possible.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Ynglaur posted:

To be fair, I've never understood why PuTTY stores configurations in the registry.

The registry being used for configuration, who would have thought.

One of Reuters market data APIs only uses the registry for configuration, the first thing any non-Reuters developer does is replace it with a file.

Did you know Java has a registry too? I haven't met a Java developer that does yet.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Nov 19, 2014

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Azure has had problems in US-East for majority of the last two months, it has been hilarious watching a Azure hosted service be completely unavailable in a pro-Microsoft environment. Multiple-region failure is the best though, just to capture those unlikely few who actually attempted high-availability. Azure have no concept of availability zones and there is still no concept of region independent traffic manager.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Nov 19, 2014

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Ynglaur posted:

Okay, I'll play your silly game. "I don't understand why PuTTY doesn't allow you to export your settings in case you need to use another machine to access the same thing. I.e. PuTTY is a user tool, not a system library."

:devil: I actually regularly do this with regedit32 and exported .reg files. You can make it modular too, I split up into files for UTF-8, fixing scrolling, enable SSH compression, high speed cipher, and colour fixes for the dark blues.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

We have that too in finance land, solution present the product as "Secure VPN".

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Ynglaur posted:

If all we all share the same email account, then no one will have any excuse for not knowing what's going on!

That is very common, I think I recall Google having to do specific enhancements to Gmail to work with this efficiently.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

21" CRT sounds pretty cool though.

I wonder how they make money, presumably a captive market.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

psydude posted:

I'm working form home today. loving love it. I wouldn't want to do it more than twice a week, because it definitely helps to interface with the rest of my team in person, but god drat if it isn't nice to be able to do 80% of my job without actually having to go to the office.

I'm working-from-home on Wednesday and Fridays now, Fridays are always super quiet in NYC so pretty much no point to go in anyway. I like to go into the city just for the walk and to get about, if anything I do less in the city as I have better computer equipment and a faster network at home.

I own a music store in CT that has a gigantic couch and TV so it is pretty cool to chill out there listen to people play music, VPN into the office and work away.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Agrikk posted:

So this technician tells me that all I have to do is disable DHCP and turn off the firewall to enable "Pass-Through mode". Which is also bullshit, because I'd still be using the 10.x.y.z network only now I'd have no DHCP server and no firewall protecting my poo poo.

This appears to be standard for Comcast dynamic IPs which as it is cheaper is OK I guess, the public IP port forwards everything to the private IP so it is a bit dumb on design.

We have annoying drifting audio lag from Comcast HDTV output which is very annoying and their support are 100% incompetent to resolve it, SDTV works fine, go figure.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Because "the printer replies to the server" you must purchase a CAL, even though it is the server communicating to the printer. Hilarious.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Volmarias posted:

Yes, the truly poor corporations, like Amazon, and Google, and IBM, and

Microsoft

sfwarlock posted:

"You just haven't given Server 2012 a chance. You need to embrace change, because it's inevitable anyway."

Also, a popular excuse for Windows 8.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

sfwarlock posted:

coa: no, not like what is where. he said if we want to keep running our toys (unquote) then we had to fully document everything about them.

turn the toys off then, the company apparently does not need them :lol:

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

A "snow machine" is one that creates snow, like at a ski slope. Do they continue the metaphor - road machine, water machine, air machine?

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Surprised they didn't force Windows Server Datacenter edition on you.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Aha, IBM super stars, is this a common IT helpdesk delight to never follow through on defects?

quote:

We have not open a ticket with Microsoft. It is not an incident solely with in Thomson Reuters but Webmail Outlook in general on Chrome and Safari platform.

Technical Support Analyst
IBM
So, open a ticket?

quote:

That is not for Deskside support to do but Messaging and the Design and Implementation Team to process.

Internet Explorer works, and Mac’s are only secondary and best level support and does not fall within the enterprise.

If you feel that this is prevent the mac from operating or the solution isn’t adequate. Please contact MS Support to inquire what they are doing to fix this issue on Mac Devices.
:cheers:

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Feb 13, 2015

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

5er posted:

Thinks-he's-super-computer-smarty manager: "I need to req four SSDs."
Me: "OK, what for?"
Mgr: "I'm going to make this rackmount NAS work even faster."
Me: "The one that's strictly ethernet gigabit connected? With that ridiculous OEM Chinese hack job of a Linux kernel hiding behind a web interface that you can barely manage to configure a static IP on?"
Mgr: "Yeah."
Me: "Don't bother, the bottleneck on transfer rate is with the ethernet. SSDs will not speed up the transfer rate."

It should make a nice improvement on latency of browsing a directory, etc. Either way the lovely CPU in the NAS is going to screw you over though.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

flosofl posted:

Jesus, I had to deal with that but with the infrastructure at a previous job. We spent 3 loving DAYS trying to get the router/firewall guy to unblock HTTP across our WAN link.

I'm at 7 months open with a ticket trying to get a fix on a switch from network engineers in India.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

psydude posted:

Customer has 8 virtual vyatta firewall instances, each with about 40-50 ACLs, that need to be consolidated down to 3 virtual ASAs. :psyduck:

Then next year they migrate back?

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

anthonypants posted:

Does anyone have any experience using BMC FootPrints Asset Core for Windows patch deployment? I sincerely hope we're the only ones who get to put up with this poo poo:

Why didn't they ever fix that web service to be actually useful?

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Thanks Ants posted:

iDRAC non-Enterprise is worthless trash and anyone who doesn't spring the extra £70 or so needs to be shot.

In Century Link hosting they are both too cheap to opt in for out-of-band management on hardware, and too cheap to actually dedicate switch ports for any devices with it. Always "remote hands" access or some form of depressing WebEx share of RDP.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Raerlynn posted:

Not true, used to work there. They have ilo management, it's just only for the techs.

Check the bits run by Savvis, I get to watch in amazement the hurdles someone has to jump through to get to their machines. NJ2 and CH4 being the primary data centres under target here.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

My old hedge fund had about 40 traders in a smallish office. Each trader had 2PCs at their desk, each PC powered atleast 2 30" monitors. Some of the desks had 6 30's. 4 monitors*40 traders=160 total monitors, in a space with insufficient cooling. They paid a guy to come in every night and power all the monitors off after the traders left and then to power them back on in the morning before they arrived.

If they didn't, when they came in each morning the office was about 95 degrees.

WallachBeth is like that, a prime Wall St address and a broken cooling system, fans attached to every inch of wall space.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

A lot of banks are demanding upgrades to TLS 1.2 from vendors, historical web services from Reuters are TLS 1.0, I don't even know why they bother with HTTPS at all for a start. The product manager's response is along the lines of stability is more important than security, we're not going to change anything. :lol:

Phoronix.com has hilarious ideas about HTTPS, http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=HTTPS-For-Phoronix-Site , I'm sure others are excitedly taking notes.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Apr 29, 2015

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

OAquinas posted:

Yeah. The only way it can bite you in the rear end is if you have reason to suspect your company of dragging their feet to pay you back. Paying for travel and whatnot and charging back the company is pretty much SOP. Milk it for rewards points and enjoy florida (it sucks).

It is common because it makes the employee more responsible for expenditure, you become more aware of what you can expense or not and thus will not be so frivolous.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Ynglaur posted:

Still, the kid is coming off as an entitled little poo poo.

That would be "I must have Chrome installed". MSIE has plenty of holes I'm sure someone could be imaginative and get it to drive-by install Chrome :cheeky:

Or you have an intern mentor moment: office is a boring place with cranky IT staff and diabolical software, go with the flow and use your iPhone or iPad to surf normal sites.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 22:31 on May 4, 2015

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Microsoft's Azure management interface is impressively slow and broken. Today backups completely fail to configure using Safari and creating a support ticket in Chrome is broken.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

With an IPv6 LAN there is a benefit of using mDNS so you don't have to do silly things like turning off privacy extensions. But then just use DHCP6 instead of SLAAC?

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Ynglaur posted:

In TYOOL you can rent a server with 96GB of RAM from Azure for less than $2000 USD / month.

Managed hosting turns that into a dual-core server with 12GB RAM and a single 72GB SAS drive running Windows Server 2008, and a minimum 6 weeks time to purchase. Large company IT staff are superstars.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Irritated Goat posted:

Person ALSO giving me a shortened version of their name when they have a common as hell last name and names are listed in the system by given name, not nicknames. These people call almost every god drat day. This isn't a new procedure. These employees call helpdesk like it's some new and scary thing when it hasn't changed in the 3 years we've had them as a client.

Conversely it is pretty lovely that you don't add common names to your database, the system should adapt to the people not the other way around.

Also, so many organizations use VoIP integrated apps these days, you should be able to automatically pull up all the issues and people associated with the phone number calling.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 16:56 on May 16, 2015

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Lysdexique posted:

So instead of hiring new people so that the teams are well managed, they're just pooling all the employees into one big pile and therefore sacrificing call quality, which makes the clients angry, it makes us angry and just further stresses Tier 1 agents out.

Are we playing Jeopardy? When you operations are border line financially viable guess what happens?

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Tab8715 posted:

People who don't use whiteboards as explain technical concepts that are several paragraphs deep. There's a reason we have or in every cube and every office.

Don' tell me, show me what you're trying to explain.

All our whiteboards were taken away. Also, visiting clients who only have a small drawing board or a burnt out plasma TV or wimpy projector. Just awesome.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

A3th3r posted:

Trying to hire people really sucks, quite frankly. You don't know what you're in for, and about half the time it is some moron who has no idea what he's doing. The other half of the time it is one of those guys who works too hard/fast & doesn't really get the whole 'desk job' thing.

I'm both, I get one small project that is supposed to be 2-3 weeks work every 1/2 year then I work crazy on it because *wow* actual work and can be interesting. I have no idea what I'm doing and that kind of makes it interesting.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Thanks Ants posted:

Is there a way to force Chrome to display PDFs inside the browser instead of downloading them? The behaviour varies by server for reasons I don't quite understand, but if there's a way to override it that would be great.
Something like this? the goal to change Content-Disposition: attachment to Content-Disposition: inline

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Boss: there are no more technology projects and we should not be doing them anyway as that is what Amazon and Google are for.

Company does not use Amazon or Google, management prefer blowing money on private hosting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Mogomra posted:

We used to use Rackspace at my last job, and one of their excuses for why our sites were running like dogshit one day was that Justin Timberlake announced his new album, and they couldn't handle the traffic.

HighScalability has a series of articles on Algolia, when the last one published their site was down for at least 30 minutes :lol: