Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Department meeting called. I was correct, HR is responsible to know the user permissions involved in their own software, "but we still need to find a way to 'use our best judgement'" with 100% accuracy when these CRs come in.

In short, IT loses, HR wins, but my head's not on the chopping block.

At least not everyone is insane there, then. Just most of them.
Reminds me a bit of "I didn't need to tell you the website needs improvement in this area, if you were a professional then you'd know" (closest I've come to walking out of a meeting)

Wizard of the Deep posted:

Don't ask for a unicorn my first week, and then act surprised when I can't deliver your loving unicorn.

"It's not my fault she evolved into an alicorn"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Shared offices. I hate shared offices.

"What? He's getting <literally any computer accessory>? I want <literally any computer accessory>, too."

The most annoying part is when they're both there when something gets delivered, and the other person is dropping hints instead of asking me outright (which is still a waste of their time, but at least then I'll tell them who they should talk to).

We have a small handful of monitor risers, maybe about 5-10 of them (because there was a health and safety audit and monitors needed to be at a certain eye level, so a few had to be raised a bit). They have a bit of storage built into them for pens and a little tray for other stuff.

*googles*
These, in fact

Oh boy. Bringing one of these to someone is like... it's like walking into a prison canteen with a pizza delivery. People would KILL for this poo poo.
Someone with one left the company last year, they were in their own office so we weren't spotted taking this thing out (I was shocked no one had dashed in to grab it before the retiree had finished standing up - out of sight out of mind, I suppose) but the next person to walk into the IT office spotted it and had this look in her eyes like she'd just won all the world's lottery draws at once.

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
Oh yay we can log in again. I bet a certain database was pissing someone off over the past few days.
--
I actually find it more amusing than pissing me off as such, but the way we IT people sometimes don't have to do anything at all other than stand there being a brain bypass for someone because they've sat down in front of a computer and their own brain isn't functioning any more. I literally had an hour of this earlier, like there would be an explanation text and just two buttons "continue" or a "cancel" and she'll ask "how do I proceed, it's SO CONFUSING :(" I had to read off the screen for her and say "righhht, so it's telling you that you'll need to have your file ready to upload, and telling you to press continue"

At least it makes our jobs pretty easy?
The same one basically had to use me as a sounding board while she learned how to do a new aspect of her job (I don't know how to do other people's jobs - but somehow it seems to help to have a 'wizard' stood there nodding and shrugging while they figure things out, like some kind of brain catalyst)

sfwarlock posted:

Those can't possibly be very expensive. Contact HR and ask for morale budget to spend $20 per employee.

They're £38 ($65). It's hard enough getting anyone to sign off that much for a "non-essential" even once, never mind multiplying it by 60 to give them to everyone!

It's just not in their mindset. They just refurbished the building we're in (2 building site, our company is squishing into 1) so they can rent it out to other businesses. Everywhere got jazzed up except IT (we can't move to the other building due to the cost of moving all the structured cabling of course) which hasn't even seen a lick of paint. In fact the refurb guys came in to change some pipes and make a complete poo poo tip of it, so it's worse than it was before (it's literally like on The IT Crowd, but it's us saying :getout: not the elevator)

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard

SEKCobra posted:

I love how our electricans constantly shittalk about us 'basically not doing anything', but when I challenged them to plug in the dual beamers they just pulled, they gave up after eyeing the connectors for 2 minutes.

Try the line "what's so difficult guys, you lot only work with 3 wires and even one of those isn't really needed" if you really want to troll them back. Be ready to run. :downs:

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard

Commodore 64 posted:

Pissing me off: My boss has a fear of SSD's. He's warming up to them for laptops, but doesn't want to use them in our desktop refresh.

"Life spans!"
*ignores our failed trad. Seagate HD's*
*thinks Crucial/OCZ SSD's are just like Samsung/Intel SSD's*

I'm pretty sure I'd face the same problem. Unfortunately when decent SSDs were only just hitting the consumer market a few years ago, there was all the alarmism about write cycles and it just spread like wildfire. He is the type who insists that you turn off swap, access times, and a million other tweaks to make it write as little as possible because all the panic articles a few years ago said you SSD won't last 5 minutes otherwise.

I took my old Intel X25-M G2 out to upgrade to something bigger (I can at least get them myself for "evaluation" purposes ;)) and suggested giving it to someone with a thrashy machine. "But it'll be pretty worn out by now!"
I checked the wear indicator. 99% left. That's after about 3-4 years of abuse.

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard

Commodore 64 posted:

poo poo not pissing me off: We're getting SSD's in our desktop refresh!

The tipping point for him was the secure erase command.

Once I pointed out secure ATA can flush a drive in minutes instead of hours; he agreed to it!

Nice work!

Just don't tell him that "undelete" aka "find out the dodgy things a suspicious employee has been up to" kinda goes out of the window due to TRIM...

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
"I'm not really a genius with computers. I'm just better at Google than you"

I do think that the main reason I'm still employed is that everyone who isn't in IT sucks at Google, or is too scared to input stuff into it.

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
True, true :)

To us with logical and analytical minds, it always seems like the muggles have their brains turned off - the fun world of different ways of thinking...

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
All of our job descriptions for the office jobs (and a lot of the factory jobs) have "must be computer literate" so technically it could be fireable, though they'd never put something like that into practice unless they were already looking to get rid of them (basically, piss off the senior management, and they will find something). And it never seems to have much of a bearing on whether they get hired.
Also probably the most clueless of our computer users are the people in HR so they will have sympathy.

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
This attitude of "you're the IT guy, fix it, fix it" for things outside of my control.
OF course, I was just being lazy. BRB, single handedly inventing a new battery technology for smartphones that will last a month between charges without any risk of blowing your bollocks off if it goes wrong and showing a couple of multi billion dollar corporations how to write their software properly in 3, 2...

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
All these years and I've still not figured this one out: how you you answer "why did that happen? There must be some reason it happened" to something like an Office application freezing up with no clear reason?

It just... does? poo poo crashes or locks up sometimes at random, not always with a message or log that can be interpreted in any meaningful way.
It's been a fact of computing since the beginning. Especially if it has Microsoft written on it (but Apple and Linux desktop software can be just as bad with "unexpectedly quit"s and segfaults). You can say it's a buggy piece of crap, but then the angry and frustrated manager grilling you over it then demands to know why you gave them a buggy piece of crap in the first place, and you have to try and explain that there isn't really a decent alternative and even then there's no 100% guarantee it'll never ever crash or lock up and... stop asking, k?! If it's crashing and hanging with regularity then yes there may be some reason that can be identified such as faulty RAM or malware. But when it's just "it crashed once" and it's fine the other 99.9% of the time... I don't know?

Maybe if this was NASA or a nuclear submarine or something we'd have written everything ourselves, with ludicrous amounts of logging and failsafes and be able to justify and carry out an investigation and hand over a 600 page dossier and recommendations for being certain it will never happen again. But we're not NASA, and Word locking up and causing a bit of an annoyance is not quite the same as accidentally starting WW3 or blowing up a space shuttle.

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
Loving the positron explanation :D

In brighter news, hoarding emails to cover my arse paid off. The documentation/compliance/auditing guy seemed a little miffed at being sent version 7 of a document when his records show version 4. That is the sort of thing that really grinds his gears because if he doesn't know about the versions in between then all manner of shenanigans could be taking place and it'd make the auditors quite upset. "What happened to versions 5 and 6?"

2 minutes later - "here's the email I sent you in 2012 with version 5, and the one in 2013 with version 6, hope this helps :sun:"

Sometimes, hoarding seems like way too much effort, but it's satisfying when it works like that.

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
Oh look, there's the "why didn't you read my mind" rant, though this time it wasn't made to my face, it was made to my boss. Cheers for that. *stamps the bingo card*

New start turns up yesterday for photo and ID card. Usual warning of "none whatsoever", just "here's a new person, please have his card ready by this afternoon", yes maam, thank you maam, etc. Someone then decides to start a massive shitstorm because today he doesn't have a computer account yet.

Try telling me he needs one? I mean... I did say to my colleague (who manages the IT department and usually delegates these things as required) "doesn't this guy need a computer, phone, user account? Or because he's a remote worker aren't we bothering?" and he just kinda shrugged and continued with something else. Hang on... engaging mind reading mode.

===

Liking the "why did it crash" ideas, not sure on the car analogy until we get more autonomous vehicles as people don't usually expect cars to drive themselves but they expect PCs to operate themselves.

Super Slash posted:

Even worse when it comes to CRM's, you get the odd bitchy comment about "Why are we even using this piece of poo poo" but then is generally followed up with "The last place I worked at had a way better system where everything worked!".

Quite familiar with that one, usually comparing our saleslogix to their old place's salesforce. They shut up when asked where we can get the £12k from for the license (or whatever the cost is, this was the cost of slx like 10 years ago) and how it'll go with the time and monetary costs of retraining.

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
One more to add to the "it's all my fault!" list

Meeting request received for Tuesday from someone else
I decline it because I'm not available that day and suggest Wednesday (using Outlook's "decline and suggest another time" feature)
Get a mouthful for not "just picking up the phone and seeing if everyone's available on Wednesday instead of having all these reschedule requests"
GEE SORRY, I didn't realise that if you're not available for a meeting that someone else is organising, that you're supposed to take over the organisation of it for them. I always thought the responsibility of an invitee was to respond with yes or no (with suggesting another time as an additional courtesy as well). Or heaven forbid that if the organiser is so keen on "just picking up the phone" that she'd have done so in the first place then I could've said I'm not available on Tuesday.

gently caress sake, do I have to take the blame for literally everything around here? If someone doesn't wipe their arse am I going to be moaned at for not wiping it for them next?

2015 is looking free in my personal schedule, definitely :yotj: I think before I get fired for the weather or something.

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
Holy poo poo, they just 180'd on me. My jaw nearly hit the floor. Back in the good books :)

Rollercoasters induce adrenaline, that's the only way I can explain how I've been here so long!

Volmarias posted:

Assuming that people actually give a poo poo at what the outlook calendar says at your org, outlook actually has a really neat feature for showing everyone's schedule side by side, so that you can pick a slot that works for everyone. Of course, it sounds like either they're not using that either, or you didn't mark off Tuesday.

To be fair, I didn't mark off Tuesday, and everyone is a bit "hit and miss" in terms of marking down their appointments as well. For some reason everyone prefers using a shared Excel file for indicating whether they're going to be in or out. We had a go at suggesting a move to Outlook shared calendar once before but everyone was fairly new to it then and deemed it "too complicated". Maybe a job for next week, have another go at that suggestion.

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
Pissing me off today:

- CodeTwo's software for managing email signatures, which I'm trialling because they keep wanting to advertise the latest $product_no_one_cares_about in email banners and trying to push new signatures manually every week or two is getting a bit time consuming.
Good in principle, better than the basic disclaimer support in Exchange itself, but it is possibly the slowest software I've ever seen - you know in the dark ages of 486s and early Pentiums you'd be typing away in Word 95 and it'd stop to thrash at the disk for a few minutes then suddenly your words would appear on the screen? It's like that, but all the time.
It also makes an unholy mess of the HTML, but I believe Outlook prefers it that way.

- A meeting being called just to pin a deadline on me. Because some of my colleagues in other departments have this mentality of "I want this thing done and I want it now, so if I call a meeting, put them on the spot and have it Written Down In The Minutes(TM) (the company's magic bullet) then it'll put some formal pressure on X to get it done asap"
I did however see straight through it and asked whether a meeting was really necessary because yes I know you want it done, I'm working as fast as I can, priorities and deadlines can be negotiated just fine through actually talking to me like a normal human being or going through line management, and the more time I spend sat in all these meetings being grilled by someone who wants their poo poo done faster, the less time I have free to do the actual work.
It got cancelled :) I was in a grumpy enough mood to be effective in getting my point across firmly.

Amusing me today:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-28977840
A printer that comes to your desk? Better not tell anyone, orgasms will be had. And we'd never hear the last of "we NEED one of those robotic printers"

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
New server-side email signatures are a go, GPO to disable Outlook's signatures deployed.

How long before all the special snowflakes start crying that they NEED their customised pink 'Sue' that they added to the corporate signature using script.ttf?

(Despite warning them that they won't now because it's added server-side, I'm still also expecting lots of ":supaburn: halp I can't see my signature when I'm composing my message, how will I cope!")

GargleBlaster fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Sep 8, 2014

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard

Ynglaur posted:

I hope none of your users legitimately need alternate signatures. Maybe I'm a special snowflake, but I use a bare bones simple signature that meets our corporate requirements for most emails, and a slightly more detailed one with things like my fax number for a few types of emails.

Some of them do, and they're welcome to state their case. The software allows for a keyword to trigger a different sig, or remove it altogether, if they have a legitimate reason.

It's more the "but what about mah special pink and yellow flourish that I use to add a personal touch? :(" crowd that I'm talking about here. Sorry to break the illusion but you're a corporate drone like the rest of us!

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard

beepsandboops posted:

Are you guys using the Exchange disclaimer for that? I've been thinking about doing something similar with our users.

The built in Exchange thing was looking a bit too basic - we went with Codetwo Exchange Rules
The interface seems to do odd things, but once it's set up, it works.

skipdogg posted:

I'm not sure if there is anything that pisses me off more at work than the 'I'm not getting what I want fast enough, so I'm going to CC your boss' email.

There are a few at our place who go beyond that, they don't even bother with my boss, they CC my grandboss (the managing director) instead.. and I've got to hand it to them, as he really kicks up a fuss when he wants something doing.

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
Don't forget also

P Please consider the environment before printing this email

Our sigs are huge *shrugs* Marketing department mandate, most of us know better than to argue with them. I managed to get away with making internal emails only include the name and title so that's something.

GargleBlaster fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Sep 10, 2014

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
"Hey our VPS is getting on a bit now, the Linux distro it's using is end of life next year, how do we go about upgrading?"
"Buy a new VPS as if you were a new customer, transfer everything, and cancel this one"

Here was me quite happy to just continue renewing and maybe being upgraded before our web server becomes a giant security hole of doom... but hey, now it counts as a new purchase, congrats! You now get to compete against others for our custom!

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
Ah language/accent barriers. The reason why I love live chat.

The problem I usually find with overseas support is when they just aren't trained on the product properly or haven't even seen it, and are operating from scripts. Basically they are a barrier (often with time consuming accent differences) between me and someone's online knowledgebase. Unfortunately that tends to get them a reputation for being thicko foreigners when really they're no less intelligent than anyone else, it's the idiots at our end who don't see the value in providing proper support and just pick the cheapest minimum thing they can do. Which is to give some scripts to someone in a developing country or one with a much weaker economy, who they don't have to pay much.

mewse posted:

Rebuilding your VPS is a good exercise to make sure you have all your backups in order

Yep, I agree with that. It's always a very useful exercise and also good for refreshing the documentation.

Honestly it'd been a lot easier if they'd just let us spin up another virtual box, give us 30 days to transfer then shut down the old one though? Technically that's exactly what they're doing but it has to be done as a new contract (and the reason is obvious, the price has gone up). Fair play to them, they want to put up the price if we want a new virtual box (despite it being virtual and quite possibly on the same host hardware), business is business. But business being business that also means we have to get quotes from multiple suppliers and compare reviews etc as it's a new contract with a price increase. That's company policy. I was just really venting at having more work to do evaluating suppliers :)

Anyway, it's been interesting so far, I do want to leave them now. I sent in a ticket to accounts+billing asking to cancel and explaining the situation, but that we'd certainly still be considering them for renewal, we just need to make sure we're free to choose by securing a cancellation (they have a minimum notice period of 30 days before the next annual invoice). This ticket got "escalated to the relevant department" and ignored.
2 days later I called them to chase it, but got told they couldn't handle or discuss cancellations over the phone and it MUST be via the ticket system
Fair enough they need a written paper trail. So I bumped the ticket asking if it can be acknowledged
Another day, still ignored (conveniently, they answer all other tickets within an hour or so)
There's no way to delete the credit card details, so at worst case we may have to block the card.

Sorry but I have a very minimal tolerance (pretty much zero) for companies that make cancellation difficult. I know it's stretching reasonableness a little, but dealing with "Three" made me permanently loathe this kind of poo poo. Retain your customers by making them want to stay, not by making it a pain in the arse for them to leave. Even if it's not on purpose then answer your bloody tickets in a reasonable time! Or chase it up for me instead of dismissing me when I'm chasing it on the phone. Stuff 'em - I just got a purchase order signed for a new VPS with a new supplier. They also use SSD, are a little bit cheaper, and get better reviews.

GargleBlaster fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Sep 19, 2014

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
I know Backup Exec already gets a lot of complaining on here, but seriously this 2012 version

Click on the icon
Go grab a coffee
Do a few other jobs
Come back to it
Still loading

Slowest starting software on the planet, without actually being any obvious fault (there's a progress bar, there's disk thrashing.. it's just slow)

E: this is what happens when I'm slow at editing a post

GargleBlaster fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Sep 23, 2014

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
Yeah with the mobile numbers, it's especially bad when one of your friends, well to be fair to the guy he has a list of mental health problems but one of his quirks is an obsession with buying new phones every couple of weeks (literally). He's given up telling us and we just contact him on Facebook instead after a few cases of us asking in public "hey what's Joe's number this week?" to try and drop the hint.

Some people for some reason just don't like porting their number, either because it feels like a fresh start to them, or they have an on and off partner that they keep blocking and having to get a new number then making up with them again, or I guess sometimes an attention thing where they want to feel valued.

====

Additional rant, Sage Saleslogix. It's this loving unreliable sync system.. it's the 21st century, can't we have the data stored in the butt or something?

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard

dissss posted:

I've had the same mobile number since 1998 and its been on prepay the entire time (has to be some sort of record)

Apparently the new owners of Saleslogix (it has changed hands twice in the past couple of years) are focusing 'all development effort' on their butt-hosted offering.

Doesn't make any difference to us, we're stuck on a customised to hell locally hosted 7.5.4 system that has data going back to the late 90s. I'm sure its still going to be in use and crashing Outlook well into the next decade.

That is very wise of the new owners.

Haha, it sounds as if you work in the same place as me. It's been very heavily cobbled over the decades and the Outlook plugin is notorious.

To be fair the actual sync mechanism itself seems robust, it's just that the service itself only operates when the stars are aligned in a certain way.

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard

Sickening posted:

Just got my purchase of veeam approved yesterday and everything is right with the world. :gizz:

Just wait until you need to renew your 2012 backup exec and see how little the price difference is compared to real backup software solutions out there. I have no idea how symantec is even around.

Veeam has been great for us *touch wood*, it's just that we then archive those off onto tape after a week and that's where BE comes in.

Daily backups for a week via Veeam (reverse incremental)
Weekly archives of the Veeam full image archived onto tape and most of them retained for a month
Monthly tapes retained for 7 years

Biggest pain is if someone manages to lose a file and not realise for over a week. Whee, time to restore 400GB worth of Veeam image just to extract one file.

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
The factory half has decided they require some uniforms with the company logo on and the sub-department underneath

Logical approach:
Send a request to Marketing, who serve all our graphic design needs and will do it consistently, export them as EPS and send them to a clothing printing company

Our approach:
Ask the factory manager to do it, who then designs the logos (unevenly spaced) in Excel(!), using the wrong shade of grey (which would piss off Marketing mightily when they find out) then send a request to IT wanting to know how to extract each one to a JPEG without them "going all blurry"
I then have to probe for information on what they're actually trying to achieve in the first place, learn that it's about ordering some uniforms, and redo the work

GargleBlaster fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Oct 21, 2014

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
Edit: too specific
Basically, being told how to do my job by someone who doesn't have a clue, and that £2.50 is too expensive for a USB flash drive.

GargleBlaster fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Oct 23, 2014

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
Call me cynical but it's amazing how many company iPhones seem to get "accidentally dropped" shortly after a new release and how many of those drops seem to smash up the LCD as well as the touchscreen or are stilletto-shaped etc.

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard

Coredump posted:

If the company is going to hand out iPhones they should either charge the department for broken ones outside of life cycle replacements or buy good cases along with the phone. People are children when it comes to taking care of company equipment.

I think that's a case our director is trying to negotiate with the other directors. Doesn't sound like it's easy though, they're probably arguing that accidental damage is just one of the normal costs of IT etc. We're on a tight budget right now though they are managing to charge some things to other departments (some software upgrades for example)

Also those who have company phones are mostly sales, execs, or anyone else who is shall we say "well valued" (*cough*family*cough*) so it doesn't take much for them to get their way if they don't have much luck with us.
"But daaaaaad I need an iPhone so I can do my emails..."

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
The additional annoyance with these phones is we're with some lovely middle-man company (not my decision) instead of dealing with the network directly, to save like 5% off the bill or something. Said company seems to be finding it ludicrously difficult to get hold of iPhone 6 and nanosim stock from the network to send to us. (Personally, I suspect they've failed to pay the network). We've been waiting a couple of weeks now.

So of course there's one (bit of a sense of entitlement - top boss's wife and all that) who's always down a couple of times a day with "WHERE IZ MY IPHONE?!?! WHY AREN'T YOU ON THE PHONE CHASING IT?" - erm, we have other things to do? And we already ask about once a day for an update. "Well you should be chasing them harder! I want my iPhone!" :fuckoff:

tomapot posted:

Just after the iPhone 6 came out I dropped my 5s phone on a concrete floor. Even with the protective case the screen cracked. I thought "I've just become one of those guys they talk about in the thread."
Instead I just expensed the $100 for a 5s replacement instead of trying to finagle a 6 out of the deal.

Haha. Well I suppose there's the occasional legit one!

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
We have one user (in Sales of course) with about 20GB of email as well.
And roughly 100GB of files that she keeps on her laptop instead of the network drive (good job really - the entire company's shared files only add up to 140 so we'd have to nearly double the allocation just to accommodate her hoarding) because she goes home and continues working, never actually spends a second NOT working except to sleep, and "NEEDS" instant access to - no exaggeration - every file, every bit of correspondence (newsletters included), everything in her 15-20 years or so of history.
And no, she doesn't have backups.
And yes, we've very strongly suggested it. "I don't have time! I'm SO busy"
To be fair, now might be a good time to look at some kind of butt storage. Still need to fit a bigger SSD or hybrid though, as I'm certain that "what if I'm somewhere without wifi?? How will I get instant access to what I told that customer in 1994?" would come into it.

====

Meanwhile, some people came to demonstrate a telephone system. Unlike all the other candidates, they neglected to actually bring a demo system (despite giving us the impression they would, and wasting the time of some angry managers who took time out of their day to attend), and thought that a bit of Powerpoint would suffice

10/10 would totally do business with

GargleBlaster fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Nov 14, 2014

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
The iPhone 6es have arrived!

One of them lasted a whole day before its screen got smashed :golfclap:

(I suggested we pay the £86 Apple repair fee so that we don't void the warranty and it means we get a proper replacement instead of some horrible Chinese knockoff from eBay that takes hours to fit and probably end up screwing up the home button and/or the earpiece and/or proximity sensor etc, the usual drill. Alas, I am not the IT manager, who immediately shot the idea down for a horrible £29 Chinese knockoff from eBay. Oh well, whatever.)

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
I do wish it were possible to "like" posts on forums such as these. I want to acknowledge them, but have little to say.

incoherent posted:

God-tier helpdesk mavericks.

Why are you still on those? Upgrade to Helpdesk Yosemite!

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
No I don't want a whitepaper. I'm sick of hearing about them. :fuckoff:

GargleBlaster fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Nov 25, 2014

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
If you're not laughing hard enough at TCP jokes, then you'd better open some port.

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard

Sickening posted:

I was cleaning out some folders today and I stumbled upon some pictures of mine and other pictures supplied by this thread. For the people that haven't seen them, you are welcome. For everyone else, I hope you enjoy the trip back down memory lane.

Ahh I always loved the flooded one with the fan still going like the whole rack is trying to sail away :p

I can actually sort of sympathise with the employees involved in creating the no-rack switch patch mess, having had two "perpetual financial dire straits" companies under my belt now - they do not want to spend A. loving. Penny. that is not absolutely critical to get the job done (even though investing in efficiency and tidiness etc would probably do them better), that right now would probably include racks.

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
Nothing quite prepares you for the horrors of stripping back "outdoor" cable (for installation to the back of a patch panel. Why they ran outdoor cable indoors is beyond me). Gross gross gross. Practically wading in grease!

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
Ohhh dear, so we have this little problem on one of our two Netapp data stores that a couple of VMs (one hosting accounting and ERP, so probably the most business critical thing we have) are running from... alarm bells started to ring in the mind when one of them had to be rebooted and went through some serious chkdsk drama before coming back up. Features cannot be added to the Windows installation any more as it says the source is corrupted. A Linux server had some serious fsck drama before coming back up and won't update as it says the RPMs are corrupted. If you download and verify the RPMs on a local box they are fine. Copy them to the vm and verify? Corrupted. Something seriously wrong going on here with either the data store or the network.

IT manager (boss) just basically snaps at me when I try to raise concerns. "if there was a problem then a light would be flashing on the SAN" and "it's corrupting because it's being USED!! Of course it's saying its corrupt, you have to not be using it!"

I don't even... whatever, Mr Information Minister. I'm off to do something else, gently caress it.

I think on the latter he's parroting something he heard about doing fsck on a live filesystem... I'm actually just verifying RPM signatures, but anything technical like that is blinding him with science. He's basically clueless and yet HAS to be right/superior at all times so is completely contrarian. You could say bananas are yellow and he'd yell at you and say they're blue. What I maybe should've done is used the reverse psychology trick ("I don't think there's anything wrong with this datastore or the connection to it, what do you think?"), I've used that method before with a fair bit of success.

GargleBlaster fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Apr 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
Fortunately he's seen a bunch of iSCSI errors for himself and finally acknowledged that something is a bit amiss and asked for some outside support. It just takes a few hours of banging your head against a brick wall to get the message across sometimes...