Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Stealthgerbil posted:

Every time the internet cuts out or gets slow, apparently its the servers fault! Its like they don't understand that our LAN and the internet have nothing to do with each other :(

Uh they both come out of my workstation so I have no idea what you're talking about stop being so lazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

b0red posted:

you can't be serious

I had to explain to someone that I have no idea what she did to a spreadsheet last week that caused her to break all her formulas, because she was the one that did it. She works in HR and tried to write me up for it.

I also had to explain to our financial advisor, in a meeting with the firm's partners, how to calculate sales tax in Excel.

Excel is haaarddddddd

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Dick Trauma posted:

Something recently that pissed me off: sumbitches that use read receipts on email.
Join me in setting every email you ever send out to low priority so that you get that little therapeutic blue down arrow next to every email.

It's especially great when you send emails out regularly that say things like "There has been a power outage at site X due to a flood, nothing is available."

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

The no longer employed new guy decided to go through all of the User Access Rights GPO settings and delete LOCAL SERVICE and whatever else he felt like from every policy.

He then tried to add a bunch of IIS app pools to every policy by typing their name in rather than the account that uses them, so now I have DefaultAppPool in every Policy but not the account that runs that app pool.

He did this to the Default Domain Policy and Default Domain Controller Policy.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

TheQat posted:

the people making these rules don't know what either of those things are. they're barely computer literate.

I had someone freak out and do a cc-to-everyone-important including all of the firm's partners and my boss because I "broke the email" when they had just set up a rule that automatically deleted all email coming from a specific email address.

Who knows what the gently caress they were thinking.

Doing a reply-to-all when that happens is kind of satisfying though.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

What the gently caress does this mean?

quote:

Have you noticed, lawyername, your top-level web part materials aren't
fitting within the web part window? I don't think this is just on my
computer-clientname, do you have any insight into this matter?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Guesticles posted:

Toolbars making their browser window too small.

This is apparently wrong. My current guess is that they're getting emails that have so many attachments that they can't see them all in outlook.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

We hired a new person! They're supposed to be at approximately the same level of experience/usefulness as me. Here's hoping my life gets less stressful shortly.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Today, I'm mad that I can't just apply for a job with a cover letter email linking to my CV on my personal domain.

Or at least everyone seems to think that I'm super weird for wanting to do so.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Caged posted:

LinkedIn's application process is loving awesome. Attach cover letter PDF, click Apply.

eugh but then I gotta use linkedin and make a pdf

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

mewse posted:

If you make it to the "serious consideration" stage, your resume will often be printed out for discussion between HR drone and IT manager in whatever board room they utter their vile spells in

PDF

I know this, it's why I'm mad.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

wintermuteCF posted:

Suck it up, twinkle-tits. That's how it gets done in the real world. That sort of "here's my personal CV resume domain webpagestravaganza" only works in the creative sector (like marketing or graphic design). HR people don't give a poo poo: they need a Word/PDF thing that they can run through their digital OCR scanner, eliminate resumes without certain keywords, and pass on to the hiring manager after a very cursory once-over that takes them a few seconds. Job-hunting in this economy (where there are significantly more job-seekers than job-opportunities) is about not giving HR/HA's a reason to eliminate you, which is exactly what your fancy-pants personal website does.

:mad: NO COMPLAINING IN THE COMPLAINING THREAD :mad:

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

dotster posted:

PDF is how to send a resume, Web 2.0 has been over since 2009 or something. :)

I know this, I just think it's stupid. That's why I'm complaining about it. In the complaining thread.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

QPZIL posted:

SIGH... But if the Sr. Engineer strikes it down, guess that's two months of work down the drain. Guess we'll go with an in-house storage server with no mobile access forever.

OwnCloud?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

dorkanoid posted:

Cryptolocker scares me. I know we have backups of everything + shadow copies enabled, but the cleanup would still be horrible.

99% of our data is in Excel files on a server - is there any way at all to protect them?

...or a way to notice that cryptolocker has started encrypting? Like placing a file in a catalog as a "canary" and have some service monitor it for modification or something?

A software restriction policy on %AppData%*.exe apparently stops it.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

So glad after 3 days of +12 hour days and saying DO NOT OPEN ATTACHEMENTS UNLESS EXPECTED. The client is hit again with cryptolocker....

gently caress!

Did you have that software restriction policy set in GP?

(out of curiosity about whether or not it works)

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Urit posted:

Avatar/Post combo of the thread right there.

What's pissing me off every day: I email a guy, he replies verbally and then never does the actions he agrees to do verbally. Then I email him the next day, he replies verbally and then never does the actions he agrees to do verbally. Then I email him the next day...

(Verbally = calls or stops by office. I've tried to get him to commit to anything in email/writing, but he won't.)

It's been a week trying to get a single AD account permissioned.

Just tell him in the email when you last emailed?

"Hey bob, just following up on my email from yesterday, which was following up on my email from Friday..."

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Sickening posted:

My coworker has decided to delete all vm snapshots and not use them all together. I was planning to listen to the "reasons" but they sounded dumb and i stopped listening mid conversation.

The snapshots were the only recovery we had at all for most of the virtual workstations in production. Workstations that run unique code and unique data on each box.

That's not really what snapshots are for.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

evol262 posted:

Can you telnet to whatever port Mumble runs from the host itself? What's your security group rule? 64738 TCP/UDP?

"I'm in a user-facing position, and I couldn't write a 30 second email to let you know I actually saw your ticket. This is a personal attack on me. You're trying to get me fired and endanger my security."

:emo:

Do you not spend time now and again dealing with things and not checking your email? If someone tried to get me in trouble because I had shut off my email client or because I was doing something in the server room for an hour, I'd be super pissed too.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Setting DnD after they've tried to get your attention repeatedly without a quick "Dude, busy, call back in 20" is a dick move.

I'll agree with this, although the email to all managers is still completely ridiculous.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

NO THROWING ANYTHING OUT EVER :mad:

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Maniaman posted:

I despise web developers that don't know the difference between POST and GET and when you should use each. A page that someone may want to link someone else to? Lets use POST for the query instead of GET! Surely nobody will want to copy the url to a friend to pull up this posting!

It's a posting, of course you have to use POST. Duh.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

nitrogen posted:

Can someone explain to me why people that infect their orgs with cryptolocker aren't immediately fired?

Hearing so many stories about how companies are getting multiple infections (sometimes from the same person) and I hear people spending so much energy on preventing infections instead of terminating employees who are too stupid to follow some simple security rules? I guarantee if people started getting canned over stupidity that is required to infect with cryptolocker, it'd probably do wonders.

Computers are complicated! How was I supposed to know that the pope didn't really email me a file called "bank_transaction.pdf.exe"?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

It's the weekend, go eat some dim sum and stop working ffs.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

dennyk posted:

If you can't say something in Fixedsys then it doesn't need to be said. :colbert:

I wish there was a way to make Outlook convert every email (sent and received) to plain text automatically. All my new emails are plain text, of course, but replies always have rich text enabled if the original message had it. My replies always end up being a mix of dark blue and black text, because for some inexplicable reason Outlook defaults to dark blue for font color and then changes the color to black when you paste plain text, and I can't be arsed to fix it.

Trust Center, Email Security, Read All Standard Email in Plain Text?

You can also just change your font colour for replies?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

dennyk posted:

Something called "Trust Center" is clearly where one would expect to find message formatting options, ayup. :v: That's awesome, though, totally doing that tomorrow.

Speaking of fonts, one thing that pisses me off is when I'm trying to read a web site that uses one of those godawful fonts that doesn't render properly unless you have that "ClearType" crap enabled:

Not all of us want our fonts to be as soft and fuzzy as our neckbeards, thank you very much. :colbert:

The formatting options are somewhere else!

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Why are all of my firm's clients unable to set up their mx records correctly?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

I have been furious at OpenText for a year or so now for being completely incapable of providing any sort of useful support.

They just added the ability for clients to open priority 1 tickets and to escalate tickets to management.

:getin:

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

We're moving offices and I keep finding awesome things.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Adding a couple HP 1022n printers to my print server just exploded the entire thing.

I hate printers so much.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

I just threw them all out, hooray!

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

I give this thing a 50/50 chance of burning the building down.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Simpleboo posted:

So I work in a medical labs IT department and at least twice this week I've been called out to draw stations for nonfunctioning printers. Twice they have had no paper. How retarded can you be? We have a utility set up that says what the status of the printer is on the screen of the terminals at ALL TIMES, and when I got to the PCs the first thing I see is that it says it's out of paper. So instead of doing stuff that would help the lab run better like automation and whatnot I have to drive 10 miles to put paper in someones printer.

At this point it's almost your fault for not just checking the printer's status over the network.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

I asked a minion to go release an email then check the logs to find out at why it got blocked by our spam filter.

He found the email and released it, then told me that it wasn't in the logs. That's weird, because it shouldn't be possible for us to receive an email without having it hit the gateway. I go dig into the logs, find it, and send it to him asking what the deal is.

This is the reply I get:

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Nov 28, 2013

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Ynglaur posted:

The bad thing here isn't the up or down search: it's that your minion isn't using a proper text editor with multiple-file search, regular expressions, syntax highlighting, and a billion other useful functions.

PSPad is my favorite, though Notepad++, TextPad, and Sublime Text are quite good as well.

I agree! The way he explained it just made it way more ridiculous.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

This email I just got from BlackBerry is incredible.

quote:

An Open Letter to Customers

To our valued enterprise customers and partners,

You’re hearing a lot of noise in the market about BlackBerry®. MDM vendors are undoubtedly inviting you to webinars and enticing you to switch off your BES.

We want to set the story straight about BlackBerry in the Enterprise, both for our existing customers and for those about to implement BYOD and MDM.

We are very much alive, thank you
Our “for sale” sign has been taken down and we are here to stay. BlackBerry recently announced it has entered into an agreement to receive a strategic investment from Fairfax Financial and other institutional investors, which represents a vote of confidence in the future of BlackBerry.

The investments you've made in BlackBerry infrastructure and solutions are secure.
I will keep the lines of communication open as we navigate through this transition.

We're going back to our heritage and roots – delivering enterprise-grade, end-to-end mobile solutions. As we refocus back to our roots, BlackBerry will target four areas: handsets, EMM solutions, cross-platform messaging, and embedded systems. And, just as important, we will continue to invest in enterprise and security related R&D during our restructuring period.

In short, reports of our death are greatly exaggerated.

Setting the record straight: We will manage all devices
We’re serious about multi-platform MDM and even more serious about multi-platform EMM. We deliberately moved to a new platform with BES10 last year. Making this change enables us to manage all devices, turbo-charge BYOD initiatives, and provide the very best management experience.

Our competitors want you to think that BES only manages BlackBerry devices, and that we are somehow more expensive than other MDMs. This is false.

We understand the realities of the enterprise mobility market better than anyone, and we’re in the game for the long term. We’ve been investing in enterprise mobility management – for any device – and thanks to customers like you, we’re doing very well. Here’s the proof:
• Our EMM customer base is much larger than any of the other vendors in the Gartner Magic Quadrant for Mobile Device Management – and is growing.
• We manage more mobile devices than any other vendor. Period.
• We move more secure mobile data than anyone else.
• We have substantial cash and are not a small VC-backed “pure play” MDM player seeking additional funds every year.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

I just picked up a Barco Clickshare and this thing is awesome.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

SEKCobra posted:

Any advice welcome. Can't :yotj: for another 2 years so...

There must be something you can do to get out of there, or at least get out of that environment? It's going to be poisonous for as long as he's your boss.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Inspector_666 posted:

There's a lot of vindication in this post.

But also progress because you actually sound mad about it rather than saying "And it'll be good experience!"

YOU GO DAF!

How is there vindication? He still did it and his boss rewarded him with a "well that's weird but I guess you love work so much that you came in on the day you specifically booked off to do it".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Because of my specific circumstances, I can afford to get fired for standing up for myself, so