Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009
Zendesk for some reason is randomly refusing to update tickets from the web ui. Here comes a bollocking for leaving tickets sitting in queues for days longer than they needed to be :S

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009
Should i be offended by a ~4% bonus?

This being the first time since escaping the public sector i have nothing for use as a reference.

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009

ratbert90 posted:

Bonus or raise? Is it a bonus of your total salary for the year?

Bonus, pay review is in march/april

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009
psexec?

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009

ming-the-mazdaless posted:

Now, for 10 points, who got into trouble this morning for not turning a request around within 24 minutes.

You?

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009
It's it wrong that I've just volunteered to come in next week in the middle of a week off to make sure a colleagues account get terminated with the extreme prejudice it deserves :getin:

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009
The guy has caused the team nothing but pain and has come close to losing us customers

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009

Aryan Jesus posted:

It is wrong that you are going in. You should be jumping on a VPN and doing it from the beach.

If I had done it via the vpn I wouldn't have ever gotten to see the delicious meltdown as he hadn't seen it coming

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009
Good luck

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009
Its loving awesome when people schedule changes for 6am and then cant be arsed to turn up to do their part

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009

FISHMANPET posted:

Well you worked at a bank with all sorts of regulatory issues. I'm guessing random Web 2.0 startup #1280071 doesn't have those same concerns, and maybe can operate in a different, more agile manner.

~maybe your experiences do not apply universally~
I work at random Web 2.0 startup #1280069 and would kick off at any dev that tried that anywhere near my production boxes theres just no need for it, yes these tools may help you get things done quickly in a dev/personal environment but you dont just go installing crap on someone elses box

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009
our isp managed to swap out our static ip :(

anybody know of a quick way to search through ec2 security groups for an ip?

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009

Agrikk posted:

Okay every customer ever,...

If I wasn't certain you weren't our account manager I would be grovelling in apology as our lead devops guy loves to do this but can't see the sweet irony when our customers do this to him

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009

Sirotan posted:

Welp. I guess that's that then.

We (IT) actually came up with that policy and it is not very well documented. Also yes we have a centralized way of monitoring, the manager just asked for browser history since she probably doesn't know any better. Which also tells me we've done a bad job at communicating policy.

Give them the logs, all the logs in a nice big unwieldy csv and make sure to start the rumour mill running and let people know that hr are pulling the logs

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009

xzzy posted:

Developers are just the worst. Installing the green balls module was their number one demand when I set up their jenkins. Like they wouldn't even talk hardware or logins until I promised it would be installed.

I don't get why jenkins' balls are blue by default...
Apart from allowing you to make comments like that

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009

Sefal posted:

free VCS?

Ie: github/gitlab/bitbucket

Started a new job last week, and asked where the Cloud formation files were kept and was met with blank looks and have had to give the beginner's guide to git to both the CTO and "senior devops" :psyduck:

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009
I've had to use cherwell in the past and it was horrible and this was at a client with several thousand users but most of my hatred was for the labyrinth of hoops I had to jump through everytime in needed to touch a ticket

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

You should engage the project manager about building in some redundancy. It may cost a bit and take about 9 months to pull together, but when it's done I guarantee you 100% uptime for at least a few years.

:perfect:

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009
At $job-1 there was dave corner where out of the 8 desk in the bank 6 were populated with daves. All the original occupants have now rotated to other desks/project but dave corner remains with whomever get to sit there getting called dave regardless.

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009

Fil5000 posted:

You'd probably get paid nothing but statutory sick pay from the first job and end up on full tax rate with no allowance on the second job, which might end up being bad with money or might not.

I'd be careful with that as if your claiming a secondary wage while off on the sick it's very easy to get the DWP involved to ruin your day

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009

luminalflux posted:

We're holding off on an espresso machine until we IPO. Then it's time for a La Marzocco GS3

At $Job-1 those guys had an office down the corridor from ours and they kitted out all the kitchens

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009
Yarp

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009
Spent the day reassuring management that after dropping 25k on reserved instances we weren't actually going to be spending that much monthly after a very helpful email for our Aws account manager pointing out the increase in our spend this month

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009

Thanks Ants posted:

Chase have launched their banking services here in the UK and they are promoting it as a *~digital~* bank which means no branches and no telephone banking, which is fine. But it also has no website to access your account and do things on - everything is through a phone app. Nobody reviewing the service seems to mention this, they all seem happy with an app-only product, but I can’t think of anything worse than managing money and downloading monthly statements on a phone when I have a desktop PC with two screens. Am I the old man yelling at the cloud now? Is every interaction with a company for the rest of my life going to involve installing an app?

We've already got Starling and Monzo and possibly Revolut over here as digital only banks
And yes it would be handy to have a website to bulk download statements from but how often are you actually doing that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009
Half you working day typing at full speed?

Nah