Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

Agrikk posted:

During a service event yesterday I got paged, took a look at the issue and evaluated it as not impacting my customer, then went back to what I was doing. I neglected to check a box on a tool that reports us as having checked in with the customer so that a manager can create a TPS report to produce to higher-highers that says everyone was dutifully running around.

I now get to meet with my manager tomorrow to talk about why I didn’t update the tool properly. I’m off the clock and yet it is irritating me that this is looming.

It’s the most Office Space new-cover-letter bullshit non-issue I’ve seen in a while. I can’t wait to get my talking-to about a process that adds zero value to anything anywhere.

We just got a new ticketing system that goes even further than our last with respect to creating new processes based on check boxes or drop down menus. At this point my job is ticketing system engineer. Having the ticket options filled out correctly is more important than doing actual work. I have tested this, in part because the cut over from the old deluged me with tickets, and it is possible for me to spend my whole day updating tickets and not doing any real work. It is depressing but kind of liberating in a way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

wolrah posted:

I have had AT&T modems start dropping SIP invites when more than a few phones rang at once, I wonder if that's why...

I have seen DDOS protection features stomp on SIP connections where there are too many retries. If the connection is wonky and SIP does what it does and keeps trying to connect, some systems see that as an attack. It would probably take a number of phones doing this at once however.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009
So it turns out that if you offshore all your development, questions regarding security vulnerability remediation take 24 hours to answer. Who could have predicted that?

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009
So I just got paged out. It is going to be a fun holiday. Usually we have the 24th and 25th off. Because of when Christmas is, we have the 23rd and 24th off. Apparently no one thought to let customers know this. Fun times.

And no Christmas bonus, but they did let us know that the next bonus should be at 100% and raises are back on schedule, so that is nice.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009
DevOptional

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009
Did you ever have that moment, say 11 hours into the weekend outage escalation conference call, where you have stopped listening to folks argue and are just browsing job sites?

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009
I just tried to enter a ticket with my vendor and apparently they do not sanitize their inputs because if I included a settings file extract with a semicolon in it when I submitted the ticket I got a SOAP error.

And holy cow do I hate how this vendor has so few people left that they all do the same thing that 22 is talking about where you will do full troubleshooting, write a novel, provide all connection details, etc, and they wont read anything. Instead I get a form email asking me to provide problem details and connection information, and then the case goes to pending - waiting on customer. I get it, I used to do the same job for this vendor, and it was rough, but from what I have heard they are loosing most of the US based staff they have left.

And long ago a company I worked for pre- virtual world was so pissed at Oracle and how they started charging per processor with their licensing that we had a project to track processor usage on our DB servers and if we could, remove processor daughter boards to reduce licensing costs. That is a level of spite I can get behind.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

Potato Salad posted:

it's 2022

using hardware raid in a new era of chip scarcity and "oops, Schenzen locked down for two months" is deliberate introduction of a major single point of failure in systems that can take extra weeks or months to work around

a dental office can work on paper and good faith for a day while someone gets a softraid setup working again or sorts out restoration from backups. it can't survive waiting for a new server or raid card for two months.

and raid cards loving suck, it's like they're one of the most aggressively cost optimized parts you can toss in a system.

citation: had this exact issue come up, in all places, with a literal dental office about 10 years ago

This so much. The solution I support has an option of having its own private cloud that comes with a rack of HPE servers. The raid controllers suck. In the past if we needed work done of any kind, the tech would come in, do the work and leave as soon as they can. I mean like Road Runner cloud of dust leave. Now, if they need to reboot or power off the server, they sit and wait for it to come back up, and no matter what they are doing, they have an extra raid controller on hand (if available) because they can't be sure the controller will work after the restart. The solution does not even use local server storage, they have Nimbles, so it's just another thing that will gently caress up your day.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009
We need a 'bit to butt" browser extension. It might take a butt of work, but it could keep you from being too buttter about hearing about buttcoin all day.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009
My account manager, after a recent customer outage to due changes in firewall rules

AM: Hey, SVO, what are the customer firewall rules?

Me: Well apparently the rules are: the firewall team can make changes to the firewall any time without warning, even if it is service impacting, but if anyone else need changes made to the firewalls, it requires 3 days notice, paperwork in triplicate, and an act of God.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

Breetai posted:

Tangentially to Lum's post, can anyone with more of an idea than I explain to me in words of one syllable why Microsoft Office products are such absolute dogshit with regards to copy/pasting between or even within products? It's literally faster to paste a small block of text into notepad, re-copy it, and then paste into the target application rather than doing it directly. Pasting text shouldn't lock both programs for 10+ seconds.

MS likes to make things hard. Why? I think they do not like you. Teams big time hates you.