Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Bargearse posted:

Pharmaceutical industry. I'm not sure what specific regulations are involved but I get the feeling they don't want to run afoul of some obscure line in the GMP fine print.

It's not likely to have anything but old-rear end chromatography results on it anyway. I kind of didn't notice what thread I was in, getting paid to dick around with ancient relics is the opposite of poo poo that pisses me off.

It's basically archaeology at this point.

I keep an old 386sx 25Mhz laptop at my desk at work that still boots just to horrify interns and fresh grads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Maneki Neko posted:

Hopefully complete with a garbage passive matrix LCD screen

Yes.

And it's black and white. It does have a manual switch on the side of the monitor to invert the black and white if you so wish to, though :) It's truly horrifying.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Rick posted:

In a zoom meeting where they had the idea of putting a condenser mic in the middle of the room so the whole room could be heard but the mic is so sensitive that it spikes everytime anyone in the room talks lol. This is terrible.

This sounds like some exec tried to cheap their conference room with standard desktop mics, got pissed at the sound quality, and instead of doing the right thing and hiring a sound designer sent the intern to guitar center.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

As an infosec guy: This is a huge problem. Being the department of no and failing to build relationships and solve problems for your customers is how you kill security teams.

Holy poo poo this. Ive just moved over to a security team in our org and our entire focus is on building a security engineering mindset and proactively working with teams instead of acting as gatekeepers. The results have been phenomenal. If you just no people you end up with clandestine workarounds and those are about 1000% more likely to be actually utilized in a breach because the instructions are typically plainly spelled out in some self-hosted team documentation in a no-auth environment somewhere

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

Its amazing how people suddenly want to talk to you when they know you won't just shut them down but will help them figure out how to get what they need done.

Its also a good way to find out about the clandestine stuff that shouldn't have been done because suddenly those same people are telling you about the jury rigged stuff people left behind that they've run into.

Engineers are surprisingly straight forward people, and if they've developed a workaround for "the right way", it's because the effort and time put into building and maintaining that workaround was less than the effort of dealing with the bullshit "the right way" comes with. Firstly, you have to close the hole that's utilizing that workaround, but if your solution doesn't come with "and make the cost of the right way lower", You're just inviting the problem back, and your engineers are now more annoyed and less likely to consider security a priority, but more likely a nuisance.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

KillHour posted:

So THAT'S where I put my winter comforter. I was looking for that.

That *MIGHT* be my desktop at work, not sure, I haven't been to the office in like 3 years

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

This is happening in the US a lot more often too, many IT companies prefer a contract to hire approach for that exact reason.

It's more like a contract to "We'd love to bring you on full time but we don't have the headcount, we can however extend your contract and have this same discussion next year, though"

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Wizard of the Deep posted:

This isn't a "best naming scheme" competition, but you definitely aren't winning.

Primary user SSN ftw.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

SyNack Sassimov posted:

It's part of the spec

I've never seen 14 pages of user story before...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If anyone's looking... My team is hiring for a mid-level security engineer. Hybrid Development/Devops/PM skillsets are a plus. Excellent pay/benefits, remote is an option for this role. PM and we can chat. You may now return to your regularly scheduled threadshitting.