Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Looks like someone is having a meltdown.....

http://charlottesville.craigslist.org/res/4103554487.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Killemall1057 posted:

Has anyone been having issues with Windows Updates the past couple days? I've been trying to install updates on some fresh VMs, but the site has been so slow. It takes hours for the "Checking for the latest updates for your computer..." to finish and the downloads are taking even longer.

Setup up a WSUS server so these are cached locally. Also use templates so you don't have a poo poo load of updates.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Sirotan posted:

It was 28F when I left for work this morning, and I even had to scrape ice off my windshield. I wore a cardigan. :smug:

It was 19f when I walked to work this morning. I wore a fleece. Whats up cold weather buddy.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Kyrosiris posted:

I assume you start at midnight and leave at 10 AM, so ten hours a day, 4 days a week.

Four 10s is the way to do it. My girlfriend is currently working that and I am insanely jealous.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Grrr. Setting up a new server that will handle backups of our Juniper switches whenever a commit is made. The "network" guy is demanding that we use SCP instead of FTP. I personally don't care as I am not thinking of our configs as top secret (and no one here would ever know how to sniff that traffic).

Does anyone know if a good SCP server that can run on Windows Server 2012 (datacenter licensing and idiot co-workers makes me not want to use a linux box)?

I tried one free one from SolarWinds, but it crashes any time I try to create a user.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

QPZIL posted:

Couldn't you just set up SFTP? Isn't that made specifically to solve the traffic-sniffing issue?

Just set up an SFTP server on the 2012 box, and then make an access list so that only traffic to and from the router is passed. Boom, secure.

That's what I was hoping for. Either my googlefoo is failing today, or Junos only supports FTP and SCP.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
^ Yup.

Ended up saying gently caress it and using FTP.

Every time a commit is done, it will dump the config to a directory for that specific device/stack.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

QPZIL posted:

This basically. And I work for local government which means, unless you have a damned good reason, you better not be spending any money. So... warranty it is!

The amount of wasted money I see in my job (county government) makes me cringe.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

wintermuteCF posted:

Moving things from one location to another costs them nothing as long as they get you to do it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dyx4v1QFzhQ

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Holy poo poo I hate humans.

Working on clearing out an old 4 post rack. The entire back of it (1 foot of room) is a loving lattice of cables. I am yanking out unused cables and power cords. All the sudden helpdesk guy comes in and tells me the Intranet is down. I start staring at things and notice one of the XenServer hosts is powered off, WFT. Go begin the rack and start tracing the power cords for it. It is running to a 1u PDU that was laying on the ground below the lattice of cables. The power plugs and power switch are on opposite sides of the unit, so this thing has been laying on its power switch for god knows how long. So about 10 different production VMs got powered off and didn't restart on a different host because the people before me never setup HA (and our whole XenServer environment is massively misconfigured).

Must move faster on these V2V migrations into the new vSphere cluster I have built in a new proper rack with some OCD cable management and all servers running to alternate vertical mount PDUs.

I hate humans.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
^ Wow. What kind of monkey controls your IT department?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
In the process of putting a new naming scheme here. Nothing has ever been standardized before. I think everyone hates me.

Dept-Service-Site (Replace dept with company if services everyone)

Rant edit:

I got a request from some moron to push out a registry change to "fix" Office 2007 for macros. After reading over why, I see the "resolution" is to apply Office 2007 SP2. Person claims it is install. I check the workstations, sure as hell running Office 2007 RTM. Look at Windows updates, disabled. I am going to strangle someone.

I rolled a WSUS server a while back to address this but everyone keeps saying no when I say I am going to actually start using it. They have faith in an ungodly expensive systems management solution purchased two years ago that was never implemented. They say it will be soon. I have been here for a year, no progress has been made and no one even knows how to deploy it, let alone use it properly.

Do I really care at this point, or just deploy it and launch thousands of patches over the weekend?

Moey fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Dec 13, 2013

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Pissing me off. The more workstations I touch, the more I realize my asshat coworker has not only told Windows to not update, but disabled the service as well. Oh yea, and nothing was sysprepped, so each department's workstations are all registering within WSUS with the same ID so I cannot get reports. When brought up in our meeting today (after I was snapped on for saying I kept hitting "roadblocks" in automating patching), you didn't seem to know what sysprep was.

I hate you coworker.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

I have a similar script that is working. I believe that one is for WSUS 2.x not 3.2 or whatever is current (came across a few yesterday when troubleshooting). It is just a royal pain in the dick that nothing here has ever been straight forward. Nothing is consistent. Nothing is setup properly. I am forced to fight with idiots to fix their screw ups.

At this point it has been faster to trash and rebuild than to even look at the existing mess for a lot of my projects.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

dogstile posted:

So annoyed in fact, that he asked me to dial in to his machine to spellcheck his email complaining about me (he was sending it to the company CEO).

This is absolutely hilarious. You should have had some fun with him.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

FISHMANPET posted:

I currently have... 42.75 sick days. They never expire and I don't get sick much so they just sit there accumulating. I should really be sick more, because if I get a promotion they all just vanish.

I am part of the "never sick club" as well. My old place would lump in sick days and vacation in one pool, so it worked well. My new place gives me 1 free "wellness" day for every 6 months I don't use more than 10 hours of sick time. This isn't terrible either.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

nitrogen posted:

One of those guys pissed on his tie somehow later in the day.

Wow. This one got me laughing.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

HalloKitty posted:

Only slightly related, I noticed the Java updater has switched from bundling the Ask Toolbar to some McAfee bollocks now.

Why the hell does Oracle pull this poo poo? Ugh.

I think they have been rotating those for a while now.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

nitrogen posted:

"How do I email @example.com??

I feel like a ton of people would have no idea how to use a QR code.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Sirotan posted:

Four day weekend in Jersey visiting a friend. We're hitting NYC and a few other places this weekend to drink all the beer. Unfortunately she had to work today last minute so we're sitting in her office bullshitting until we can go drink.

Within 5 minutes of being here she asks me if I know anything about connecting printers to the network and can I take a look at this new one in the office that isn't working?

:rubshands:

Just had to do a factory reset, I didn't really mind

Why are you not drinking in the lobby while you wait?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Siochain posted:

I work from home.

And why don't you have the game on in the background at home? I streamed it on my laptop at my desk here while working.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
vMotion just broke on my two View clusters today. VMware support guy couldn't find any problem. Collected logs and off to an engineer. :(

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Sickening posted:

Overall, would do again.

NAT + firewall rules = boat.

Jealous!

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Did the guy want like an actual step by step with photo how to?

I have gotten asked for this before. As Sickening said, I consider that a "how to" and not documentation. Documentation is what is setup and why it is setup.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Sickening posted:

I think firewall configuration experience is kind of rare sometimes because nobody wants to let anyone touch the firewall ever.

I finished a migration at a site from an ASA to an SRX cluster. I have never been a network guy, but working with the SRX, doing policies between zones and NATs were dead simple.

Only changes I had ever made to our ASA were all from ASDM.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Sickening posted:

ASDM is pretty much the way to go. Its the only cisco device I don't use the CLI for 100%. I mean if you are doing constant deployments I would see how copying configs into the cli would save a ton of time, but you simply don't do it enough in most environments.

Yea, I never had any problems with it really. Not hard to poke around and see what is all setup.

Speaking of that, I have one last ASA here that is undocumented, so I get to dig through and see what rules are actually still use. Then pump all that poo poo through some Juniper goodness.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Negromancer posted:

I can only imagine how blown away they would be at ctrl+r in bash. For a long time I considered myself a pretty low level linux admin, until I had to start dealing with people who were supposedly "senior" admins who had were absolutely useless at the command prompt.

Are there Linux shops that actually run GUIs?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Who was it in here that had a good wireless "presentation" solution? I recall one being talked about but cannot find it.

Looking for something that can plug into a laptop and wireless connect to a TV. Really want to avoid any kind of install on the laptop (public facing rooms).

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Thats it!

This does all its magic without requiring the user to install software/drivers right?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Paladine_PSoT posted:

poo poo that pisses me off: Seeing the word "ninja" in the first line or title of a job description. Who the gently caress wrote the advert, the CEO's 12 year old nephew?

I bet you love the open positions for an "IT Rockstar"!

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
So what is the go-to for PC inventory scanning? I have used Spiceworks in the past and am not too fond. I also have scraped together a powershell script that spit out a CSV file.

Anything new/better out there? I got dumped with doing an physical inventory.

I could probably use NMAP and get it done as well.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

I like PDQ Inventory for this, depending on what you need.

According to the request, I just need to hunt down numbers per department for Desktops, laptops, thin clients, zero clients and printers.

I'll have to play around with PDQ Inventory, heard lots of good stuff.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Sirotan posted:

Unfortunately you can't add non-computer/server devices to PDQ Inventory so you're gonna be stuck on parts of that request. But for what you can put in PDQ Inventory, it does a pretty great job.

They don't seem to want any details, so I can scrounge up the rest with nmap.

I guess this is a good time to get a little VM running all the PDQ stuff!

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

nitrogen posted:

Since nobody cares about infantile behavior, I think you should take a poo poo on his desk.

This.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

wa27 posted:

drat, I just realized that I forgot to take my one non-accruing personal day this quarter. :doh:

I want those days.

I work in a mountain resort town. We just hired two new people and will be back to fully staffed soon. I think we are going to try and work out some flex scheduling so we can take turns getting out on the mountain in the mornings.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Caged posted:

Because people will lose everything that isn't the box itself, and power cables are cheap.

Edit: I learnt this with monitors - IEC inlets only. External power supplies annoy me probably more than they should.

This. An older boss kept getting cheap led monitors with external power bricks. Hated it.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Lum posted:

I have a hideously expensive monitor with an external power brick and I love it.

Why? Because when the PSU died outside the warranty period, I was able to get a replacement for £35 rather than having to buy a new monitor.

Most power supplies are cheaply made crap that will fail long before the rest of the device, so external is good.

This is fine for home use. I don't want to deal with 800 monitors with a mix of internal and external power supplies at work.

VVV :(

Moey fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Apr 2, 2014

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Inspector_666 posted:

I feel like that sort of thing could be very lucrative, at least?

Hourly goes up with each layer of inception?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

americanzero4128 posted:

Oh and he changed the password to the switches on each floor and didn't think to tell me because....

Your first problem is the electrician having access to your switches....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

skipdogg posted:

Spent a little more and bought some Epson's and haven't thought about them since.

We are slowly switching to Epson for all of our ceiling mounted poo poo. So far no complaints.

I am at a pretty high elevation (over 9600ft), so poo poo projectors like to overheat real fast due to the thinness of the air.