Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

stubblyhead posted:

I thought you were in Denver, did you move to Leadville or something?

Just on the other side of the 10 mile range from Leadville, over in Breck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

They were built from scratch in 2010, how the poo poo did this happen?

Ha. I caught a coworker building a 2003 terminal server in 2011.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

The best April fools prank I've seen at work was someone putting notes on copiers saying they are now voice activated and to place your paper on the copier and tell it how many copies you want. Several people fell for it.

All those were posted in the forums this year for people. They have been a few years now I believe.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Just because you can make +2TB VMFS luns doesn't mean you should.

I have valid reasons to. :)

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Hmmmm. It seems Meraki switches do not accept non Cisco/Meraki branded SFPs. Thanks guys!

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Helushune posted:

Edit: Also, Sharepoint Server. We're throwing 4 cores and 8gb of ram at the VM and it's still capping out everything and asking for more. All this server does is host ONE MS Project site that's shared between three people.

I knew sharepoint was hated, but never knew it was that bad of a resource hog.

Is it really chewing up all 4 cores?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

tomapot posted:

Pissing me off? When someone doesn't read the last message in the thread after I replied and added someone else. Now there's two different branches to the same email chain. How hard is it to take a second before replying and sort by subject or date/time.

While I'm at it my boss who is so bad at email management she has hundreds if unread emails.

My old boss would not read email all day, then later at night start responding to emails. He would respond to the first one in a thread and just ignore the extra dozen emails that came in since that. It would make my blood boil.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Roargasm posted:

It's OK I still use nano.

And here I am thinking I was the only one who liked nano...

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Helushune posted:

Is nano not cool anymore? It's always the first thing I install on a fresh *nix/BSD install. I'll download the tarball and compile it from source if it means I don't have to use vim.

No idea, I have always enjoyed it. I just never see it mentioned much, always Vim vs Emacs.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

fromoutofnowhere posted:

:yotj: for me! Start next Tuesday, 8-5, 42k/year and I get to touch all kinds of tech toys other than just PC's and stuff connected to the network. Thanks to those that helped calm my nerves!

Congrats!

Not sure what you are coming from (have not been keeping up much), but what are you moving from and moving to?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Sickening posted:

From your own workstation, ->Control panel, administrative tools, computer management. -> action menu -> connect to another computer -> Services.

You don't need an RDP session to handle services. Pretty crucial bit of info if you plan to manage a windows environment.

psexec \\computername sc start whateverfuckingservice

I really enjoy pstools.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

So someone finally took a look into why all the backups are failing since Friday. Well now we know that our ESX liscences on our servers have expired :suicide:

Huh? Were you running them in trial mode?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

Apparently the story is that we'd worked with VMware to temporarily upgrade to perform a VMotion transfer when one of our Hosts failed or was failing. I'm not sure of the particulars or the technical just that it was done to enable VMotion. That upgrade license has expired at the end of last Friday.

I did the temporary trial on a handful of hosts at an old job to get some SvMotion (before that was available in standard).

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Mierdaan posted:

Pissing me off today: loving box.com.

Enterprise file collaboration for businesses - sounds great! So why is my critical ticket from loving last Wednesday still open, with absolutely zero movement so far? Goddamnit.

I had an open ticket with Kaseya and was getting bullshit for support as well as the tech ignoring my basic questions. My coworker tweeted some hate towards their support. Within a few hours my ticket was escalated. The email thread that I came into was started by their marketing director telling their support director to do something. Pretty hilarious.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Oh gently caress you faxpress.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Zephirus posted:

gently caress you Dell. I didn't get this poo poo with IBM or HP blades.

I was really looking forward to working with these. I am the odd man out, but I love me some dell servers.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Lord Dudeguy posted:

This whole TrueCrypt fiasco has me so :ohdear:

I only use TC for my personal stuff. At work we use Symantec. But if TC fell to the NSA sword and Symantec didn't, that just makes me more :ohdear:

Also very curious on this. Would love some more details.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

anthonypants posted:

There aren't any, just a whole lot of speculation.

And that is what makes me sad. I doubt we will ever actually know what happened.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

jim truds posted:

gently caress heat and gently caress managers who can't make up their mind.

Heat as in what? The outside temp? Agreed. The helpdesk software? Agreed.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

stubblyhead posted:

Pretty sure he meas the basketball team agreend

Meh. Now that my hockey season ended, it's just a countdown until football.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

AlternateAccount posted:

That feeling when you catch something out of the corner of your eye on your other monitor that's remoted into your DC.

Java Update Available

FFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

This + Adobe Reader.

Good news is we are almost done replacing all these old DCs, I wonder how long until I start finding that poo poo again.

I pushed for Server Core but apparently that is wayyyyyyy too crazy of a concept here...

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Sickening posted:

I have fought this fight countless times. No gui = scary.

None of these twits even knew what RSAT was. I explained it to them and showed them many times, no dice.

Edit: I would love to see one of them try and work with powershell to make changes.

Actually, no. No I would not.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

AlternateAccount posted:

Yeah, doing AD changes from PowerShell from my desktop surprised some people :|

RSAT?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Inspector_666 posted:

That's what I was aiming for.

I wonder what poor schmuck took that job.

It would be a great resume booster for get out of help desk though.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Sickening posted:

If my past experience with outlook performance with a 20 gig pst being awful, what kind of computer is needed to make that pst even readable?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I found it funny. It does look like she is clawing at the machine hoping something happens.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Sickening posted:

I haven't ran into issues like that before but I have faced software piracy in the work place and refused to install unlicensed software. I look back on it and think about how I created conflict when it wasn't my place to do so. I simply should have sent an email letting my boss know that I believed that we weren't licensed for the software and then did what I was told.

You don't sound like yourself today.

But yes, I agree with that. Start a paper trail of why you think it is pirated and of your boss saying to do it anyway. Might as well cover your own rear end (even though the legal poo poo would hit the company and not you).

Sirotan posted:

Individuals can be fined and/or criminally prosecuted depending on the type of HIPAA violation that is committed so yeah if your boss asks you to do something blatant I wouldn't recommend recording your objections and carrying on with work.

I wonder what would warrant an individual being punished for a violation? How blatant of a gently caress up would it have to be?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Flatulence Jones posted:

BigAnt Messenger.

What kind of feature set are you requiring?

I rolled an openfire server here and deployed out Spark to the workstations. Works for basic chat.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Sirotan posted:

Oh also last week my boss got into an almost argument with the other HR staffer over the fact that they do not really want to bother confirming the SPELLING OF A NEW EMPLOYEES NAME before sending off that info to IT and other departments.

:bang:

The number of times this happened at my old place was insane. I always felt like an rear end doing new employee orientation for Jamie Reed when her real name was Jayme Read.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

jim truds posted:

Oh hey, 2nd time in a month that everyone with an Iphone gets locked out because a domain controller crapped itself. gently caress our sys admins.

What could they possibly be doing to a domain controller where it shits the bed?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

jim truds posted:

I don't have the story about what happened this time, emails are still flying around, but last time the domain controllers system time got out of sync with everything else so MobileIron stopped syncing to the DC. Everyone's Iphone stops receiving email and their account locks out.

I feel like having proper time on your network is a pretty simple task to do. There is a reason I do not trust other people's work.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

I hate "do the needful" so loving much. It's completely irrational but I do.

I think everyone here is with you on this one.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

rocket posted:

Sounds like Cobalt programming, except you have to specify spacing and tabs when you want to output a printed report. (long long time ago I worked on an IBM mainframe while I was in college.)

COBOL.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

RadicalR posted:

This is magical. :allears:

I have never even seen any of the star war movies, but still find this awesome.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Factory Factory posted:

This blog is for you: http://somewonderfulkindofnoise.blogspot.ca/, Star Wars OT, both liveblogging and after-reports of each film by an injured college(?) athlete living with his grandparents who is (increasingly was) pop-culture impaired.

Sure is interesting that people take the time to do crap like this, and even more interesting that other people take the time to read it.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
loving HP iLO is ruining my Monday. Setup an IP address on the loving thing, it pings fine but no web interface loads. NMAP shows no loving ports are open. Verified all network/switch settings, everything seems fine. Running some old rear end iLO firmware, but since I cannot get the web interface up, I cannot update the firmware.

gently caress you HP.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Someone needed local admin on a server, so we gave it to him. He then stripped domain admins from local admins on the server. So I turned off the server. This upset him. Poor guy. :(

This is great. How dare you try and manage "his" server.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

hanyolo posted:

Make sure you ask to get admin access on your computer next, that will show them you are really tech savvy!

Then remove domain admins from the local admins.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

dennyk posted:

No, your network guys are a bunch of idiots if they are literally not even making their configuration settings persistent. What is their justification for doing that, even? Do they just not know how, or do they think it's a bad idea for some crazy reason? "Normal" would be making persistent changes AND backing them up somewhere secure regularly so that you have the configs ready to go in case you need to replace a failed device or reload a config that someone broke.

Ha. Our old network admin would at least save his changes, but wouldn't ever back them up. Cue him making and saving 40 different changes over a weekend, then like 6 things break. What did he touch? No one knows.

Absolutely love this new Juniper gear I am working with. On every commit I have it dumping the config to an internal ftp server. It also holds the last 50 configs locally so I can roll back and compare quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
The SSL cert is gold plated.