Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr
websense is just a proxy, any standard proxy will bypass it completely, unless that ip is filtered for some reason.

Oh high school days...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

enotnert posted:

Oh, and things pissing me off daily.

Drupal

Drupal, hey, it's enotnert. . . gently caress you in the goat rear end. Why are you generating CSS on the fly everywhere? Why is it the guy who hacked the theme for our Uni from OUCampus decided he wanted to use 15 different layout generating modules?. . .

Why did he not write a simple "this is how you use my theme and what you need to install and why" readme?

That would imply he was paid to do the job, and gave a poo poo. At least one of those things are true.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr
I hate clients who want to talk to you over the phone, so they can later mis-remember things you've said, or claim you said things you didn't.
That, or when they want to talk over the phone to discuss horribly complex issues. :(

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr
They should buy you your phone, if they refuse go find a WP 521 off ebay, etc for 50~ dollars and put it on the cheapest T-Mobile pre-paid plan, it'll be 50 dollars almost on the dot. Maybe 56 after taxes.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

CitizenKain posted:

T-Mobile service up here is really bad, Verizon is pretty much it if you want your phone to work more then in town. I've found some StraightTalk plans for cheap, I'm sure a Android 2.3 phone would be perfect for this.

That is their problem, not yours.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Inspector_666 posted:

One of the reasons I'm irrationally defensive of my ISP is that their customer service has been really good (well, the phone service at least, the in-person stuff is still awful.) The techs you get seem to have some modicum of technical training and more than that, actually get given the tools to help you resolve issues rather than just having to schedule a service call to get anything done.

I've also had a pair of astoundingly good experiences with TWC support within the last week or so.

If you can get the T2/3 line techs to come to your house, they will fix poo poo the first time. These guys are actually employed by TWC and not third party contractors.

Anytime you work with an ISP and the problem isn't resolved, call back in every 2~ weeks, and don't stop calling them and logging issues.

Eventually some manager is going to get in deep poo poo and they're going to fix your problem come hell or high water.

Don't ever let someone give you a personal number, or extension, always go through the bullshit of getting escalated. It leaves notes on the account, notes that can't be ignored for closure rates.

4 months calling, bitching to get a real line tech out, to figure out that our lines from the poll for our installation were hosed. Replaced cabling, outside, redid our inside cabling, and magically 99% of the problems went away.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Inspector_666 posted:

Oh, I am not a TWC customer at home. Cablevision is my current ISP and also my parents', and I have never had trouble with them even when my father and I took the trap off of the line into the house when they moved since it was Friday night and we'll be goddamned if there's not gonna be TV over the weekend.

You can still get line techs out for business. I have told a few friends to use the weather excuse (it gets crappy during weather) with TWC business connections and then they send line techs out and they do actual checking/work and fix problems. Instead of passing the buck. Its pretty amazing really.

Its all about knowing how their poo poo works.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

They were trying to complain about California prices in order to come across as superior, so they said their sandwich, chips, drink and cookie cost $30. No it well didn't, so there's that.

How many lunch beers can you have for 30 dollars?

As someone who lives very far from a southern border of the USA, man, I wouldn't go to a sandwhich shop if I was in SoCal.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr
Issues affecting customers "production" websites, but they can't be assed to respond.

I guess at least I'm not playing triage at over 100 tickets an hour, there was a dark time when I was handling 200~ tickets an hour for days on end. (50% new, 50% old).

Sometimes the ticket system breaks and no one notices since it doesn't break completely. Then we get a flood of issues X days old, however long it was broken.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

ZetsurinPower posted:

The entire IT dept was invited to the unveiling of our intern's big project, a collaborative wall! which is basically a giant whiteboard + some Legos.

Later that day, HR emailed us our quarterly bonus payout numbers, which continue to decline due to IT not being profitable, the same day I watched interns get paid to play with Legos

To show productivity, you guys should just bill other departments.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Pudgygiant posted:

Really, really, really, pissing me off today: I work for one of the alleged top 100 places to work. One of my good friends works for an absolutely nowhere near the top 100 places to work company. He's getting a company-sponsored catered event at a really loving amazing beer place, where they're handing out company Christmas cash bonuses and Nexus 9s. We got an invitation to a bring your own plate potluck, where the winner gets a $25 Starbucks gift card, and that's all the Christmas bonus that's going around. Who the hell decides these "top 100 places to work" and what the hell do they judge it on?

There are a ton of places that are on some best places to work list, they're run by a lot of different companies, and they're just surveys.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Sylink posted:

We have been using resumator, which does a good job of giving us a submission form to put out. And then it posts to the boards like Indeed and w/e for us.

I also posted it in the job thread here - http://mojojojo.theresumator.com/apply/oXlQUJ/Linux-Engineer-Evening-Shift.html

Please hack it to pieces, I literally don't know where to go with this. Normally we put up the company name but in this case we are trying to replace a current employee and we are too small to just get rid of him and then search.

Beyond resumator its mostly craigslist postings.

Are you the one doing the hiring? I passed this to a friend or two, and wanted to know if there was a secret code word they can include. They're also goons, they just don't post much.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr
I must have received at least 100 tickets about PCI compliance for our software package, the really short version is, its not. Why you ask? Because that's not what the software is for. Host our software on a subdomain or different service, and save yourself 100 of hours, because we're sure as heck not modifying it.

Those go right up there with people who would run those free XSS/SQLi checkers against our products with 100's of false positives.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Agrikk posted:

loving slack.

Is there some way to turn off the annoying feature where a bolded white channel gets brought to the top of the channel list, regardless of what collection it normally lives in?

I have over a hundred slack channels and having channels bounce around is annoying as gently caress. I want a static list so I always know where a given channel is.

Preferences > Sidebar > Sort > Alphabetically

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Agrikk posted:

That doesn't do it. It still pulls mentions to the top of the stack. It sorts alphabetically within the two categories, but that's not helpful.

poo poo pssing me off: software that "helpfully"does things for me. Stop it. I'm a smart guy who is fully capable of using software on my own.

on the desktop client it was"Move items with unread mentions to top of sections." :argh:

Glad you found it, I play local slack helper, I totes forgot about that setting as I disabled it ages ago (as soon as it turned up, I think)

Blue Moonlight posted:

All you fuckers keep suggesting things to fix or change in Slack, which is only going to distract them from their One True Mission: to force everyone to use Huddles.

Internet Explorer posted:

Huddles are great, use them all the time.

Yeah, what's wrong with a huddle? Its a hell of a lot faster than spinning up a meeting room in other meeting softwares of choice, especially for the team. What's wrong with it exactly?

xzzy posted:

I guess my group is lower volume or uses threads wrong then? Because whenever someone replies in a thread and forgets to hit the checkbox the information isn't read by anyone. It's like comments in there got sucked into a black hole. Sure the 'Threads' category in the left list lights up but it doesn't seem to help.

I prefer the discord style because it's clear what point in the chat history you're referring to so people can get the context.

Buff Hardback posted:

you’re 100% using threads wrong

I have to agree here, the whole point of a thread is to let the topic go, without disrupting the main chat from the parties who don't need to get involved.

I saw another product ages ago that let you have sub-discussions within a channel via hashtags or something, which is kinda what threads are? But not nearly as indepth.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Sorting out Azure pricing. I guess Microsoft pricing in general is always a poo poo show, but being asked to very specifically break down ACI costs for something that does not currently exist is pain.

Don't forget to throw in partner discounts!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Heran Bago posted:

make: command not found

Every loving time. Heaven forbid I want to use Linux and build something. There is probably some minimalist code philosophy or license issue so they can't just always include build-essential but it's a cold day in hell when I want to install a new Ubuntu distro and won't ever want to use make.

I haven't built something from source in like a decade+. Why would I want those on a general purpose/use system? That just eats up diskspace.