Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
Ticket came into our Remedy queue after level one took a look at it:

INC00000000045045

Monitor not working (Reported by client)

0918:00 RPD into client computer. Desktop looks fine. Issue resolved.

0945:00 Client called back to indicate that the monitor was still broken.

1000:00 RDP confirms computer is working fine. Transferring to level 2 for follow up.

1005:00 Called the client and confirmed that, yes, the monitor was not getting any power at all, I tested and replaced it.

(Issue loving resolved.)

(Holy poo poo, how the gently caress can RDP test if a monitor is working or not? loving idiots.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Varkk posted:

Often we get told that the monitor is not working, when in fact the whole PC is powered off.
Or we get told the computer is broken and nothing ever works etc and all that happened is someone bumped the power button on the monitor.

Yeah, I know. The client often gets the monitor and the desktop confused. But it was kind of fun to vent a little.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

anthonypants posted:

Or it could be they tried to call the user while remoting in, but since the computer at the user's desk doesn't work they're at someone else's desk and calling from another phone. But even then, you shouldn't resolve a ticket when you can't get confirmation from the user that the issue's really been resolved.

You know what else I just can't get enough of? When clients walk up to my desk and say "Are you busy? This'll just take a minute..."

Cut a ticket or gently caress OFF.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Doom on a Supercomputer

Waaaay back in 2002, I did level two support for one of the major oil companies. At company headquarters, they built something called the HIVE. It stands for High Intensity Visualization Environment. It was a theater with a 180 degree projection screen. The computer in the HIVE was an Onyx Reality Engine 2, which looked like a giant purple refrigerator. This setup was worth several million dollars at the time.

Gigabytes of geologic data were fed into the Onyx and then displayed on the screen. Geologists would wear 3D shutter glasses to see the pockets where oil might be hiding.

My buddy was the sysadmin for the HIVE.

At lunchtime we started playing with IRIX and found some really cool graphics demos. And then we found a folder called 'Doom'

No loving way.

So we opened it and played Doom on a supercomputer. Pretty cool way to spend a lunch hour.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 17:00 on May 28, 2014

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

meanieface posted:

Pissing me off: sharepoint. I just want an easy way to minimize chunks of code or other random information about a field, and have it pop up when you click the field.

Can't do it in a popup box of any kind because the boss wants to be able to print it off for training purposes. :gonk:

Fake edit:
I currently have a small section in a "web part" that is just text so I can minimize it by default. It's just not the prettiest and I would rather something more flexible so I can throw it inside tables.

We have over twenty five thousand Sharepoint sites dating back to 2007. About 14000 haven't been used in over a year. Background jobs are trying to run with accounts that may not even exist anymore, so site collections aren't being updated properly in the search indexing. Holy loving gently caress, what a mess I've inherited.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

One of our teams is using .xlsx files. No big deal, except they upload xlsx files to Sharepoint 2007, which has no loving clue what an xlsx file is. OK, so all I need to do is edit the DOCICONS.XML file and then do an IISRESET. No big deal, right? Except IISRESET is going to restart over twenty thousand Sharepoint sites, all of which are in production. A major outage because one team won't save their files as .xls. gently caress me.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

HalloKitty posted:

Not to mention you could still open Office Open XML files in 2003 with a free compatibility pack from Microsoft.

I'd say it's completely reasonable by now to use it.

All very good points. If I had been the original owner, this would have been done a long time ago. However, we've only recently inherited the entire corporate Sharepoint servers. The original admins have 'moved on' and we are in discovery mode.

I work for a medium sized company, with about twenty thousand employees. (To me, large companies have over 100000 employees.). It looks like the original admins for Sharepoint pretty much gave anyone full control, hence the twenty thousand sites in production that will need to be restarted. It's a loving mess. Oh, well, time to step up and be the hero. gently caress.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

The Sharepoint 2007 farm we inherited from another team has a 600GB content database. Holy loving poo poo. For the curious, Microsoft's absolute recommended maximum is below 100 GB. How the gently caress is this thing still running? I'm absolutely livid. Who the gently caress let this go so long? How the gently caress was this not flagged years ago? I want to scream.

gently caress this, I'm going to talk to a sympathetic manager. This is complete bullshit.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jul 25, 2014

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Zamujasa posted:

We had someone like that here, for a while. Combined with springing surprise deadlines like "The client paid us $XXXX to do this and we said it'd take six weeks, and that was seven weeks ago. Surprise! Now get it done."

It's amazing how out of touch most management is.

The only management I have respect for are those that work their way up from the trenches. Unfortunately, they are few and far between. When you do work for one, it's loving amazing. You talk the same language and he goes to bat for you and your team.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I hate the situation that happens, and after you've seen it once you start to recognize the signs early on.

The company has too much work for the people who are doing it.
The company needs more people.
The company asks too much of the people performing the work.
The company sees that the people they have are stepping up and working more hours to ensure the work gets done.
The company's work is getting done.
The company does not hire any more people because the work is getting done.
The company continues to grow.
The company asks even more of the people doing the work.

And this just enters a feedback loop until someone says alright enough, and leaves. Every time. It has gotten to the point where I can recognize a chance to do a bit of interesting work after hours, I will deliberately hold off on doing it until normal business hours. If I volunteer my own time, suddenly there are enough people to do the work. In the past, I thought it was good to show initiative and go the extra mile, but really that just results in the work getting done, which for an understaffed team, is the worst thing that can happen.

During my career, I've done level two and level three support for a few very large companies.

I had domain admin access over all of North America. That's a fuckload of power.

Late in my decade long career, management not only assigned me the workload of three people, but started measuring my performance as though I was three full time employees. Eight months later, I was done. I'll never let someone do that to me again. It took two people and a small team to replace me, from what I heard.

For your own health, please don't let anyone push you into this scenario.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jul 28, 2014

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Holy poo poo developers piss me off.

Apparently when our build server isn't building fast enough, it's OK to email 300 people in the company with a critical escalation.

An hour later, the build finishes without any issues, the dev takes credit for solving a problem that didn't loving exist.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

RFC2324 posted:

Why the gently caress is Remedy so god drat slow? It shouldn't take 5 minutes to save a single update to a ticket

Is it hosted offsite or are you hosting? That can make all the difference.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Moey posted:

loving HP iLO is ruining my Monday. Setup an IP address on the loving thing, it pings fine but no web interface loads. NMAP shows no loving ports are open. Verified all network/switch settings, everything seems fine. Running some old rear end iLO firmware, but since I cannot get the web interface up, I cannot update the firmware.

gently caress you HP.

The best printer HP made was the LaserJet 4. That was a loving tank. I retired a 4 that had printed over a million pages in it's lifetime.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Aug 5, 2014

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

dogstile posted:

So my boss is wondering why my number of tickets resolved a day has gone down since making me the only person in my building that does first line support and won't budge on moving me up.

Gee whiz, I wonder why i'm doing less work. It couldn't be that i'm ever so slightly pissed off that i'm being left behind.

E: To clarify, everyone in my building now does either 2nd or 3rd line work, is a sysadmin, a developer or is supporting our new software. First line work is being outsourced and my manager is just saying "soon" when I ask him about further training. I've doubled my resume sending already, this is just silly.

Do you trust your boss? I'm being blunt because this could help you move up. Is there someone you trust at work that can give you insight into why your expectations aren't being met?

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Manslaughter posted:

Lync is a piece of garbo trash that I was forced to reinstall by my superiors yesterday, so far it is stolen focus five times and freezes Word whenever I click the Review tab every single time.

Also it doesn't save conversation history even though I have it turned on to do so, oh you need something someone said to you a couple hours ago? Nope.

Why can't we all just adopt Skype (which is free and does not need to be wrestled with by our IT team) and be happy?

If you are a SOX shop, I'm not sure Skype passes regulations. I know CTO's and CIO's who have vetoed Skype.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

dogstile posted:

I don't trust my boss due to him saying I should have been trained in March.

gently caress. Is there someone else that you trust who can give you honest feedback? Please say yes.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

dogstile posted:

Disregard this, I got switched to a new team today after pulling him aside to ask what the hell and pointing out it made no sense for me to be the only first liner in the office when all the others are outsourced.

E: :toot:

Glad to hear it. I'm sympathetic because I remember what it feels like to be the odd man out. Depending on how you talked to your boss, you may have just earned some respect from him.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Aug 6, 2014

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Spazz posted:

When SharePoint locks a site collection as read only, absolutely nothing gets written to the ULS logs. One of the systems at my day job keeps locking spontaneously. No backup jobs, no DB corruption, nothing.

:smith:

Would this help? It's for 2013, but it probably works for older versions:

http://sharepoint.stackexchange.com/questions/64726/site-collection-locked-stucked-in-read-only-mode

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

AlternateAccount posted:

Wow...
So we need to update a lot of user fields in AD. Things like Manager, Title, Department, Phone numbers, etc. I've managed to collect good(as good as it gets anyway) data and get it all into a nice sheet.

But now, I get "I am not comfortable with scripting since our AD is such a mess. Let's go through and update all of these fields by hand."

And the other guys involved agree that running a few lines of very easy to read script against a CSV is just too dangerous and that we should have our process be hand loving editing AD records.

Are they afraid of Powershell? Because this sounds like the perfect problem for Powershell. You could even suggest that because it's integrated into the server, it's totally safe.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

During an audit I found a very interesting server. It caught my eye because it doesn't follow our standard naming convention.

Oh, gently caress me.

It's a server full of hundreds of thousands of .MP3's. Ah poo poo. Who thought this was a good idea to put on a corporate network?

Well, it's down. We'll see who screams. If they are smart, they'll let it go.

EDIT:It looks like one of our developers brought a tower from home, loaded with .mp3's, and plugged it into our network to share with his dev buddies. Holy gently caress.

ANOTHER EDIT: That went really well. The dev is going to copy his music to an external hard drive and remove his XP box from the workplace so that it doesn't show up on another audit. It's already physically disconnected from our network.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Aug 6, 2014

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Trastion posted:

You are about to get fired because that was the executive teams MP3 collection that they listen to. It was set up by the CEOs brother's kids boyfriend.

Really though was it a server that you could log into? If it has the same credentials as your other servers then that would whittle down your suspect list a bit.

Sorry, I said server, but it's actually an XP box. gently caress.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Bob Morales posted:

We did this, but only because we blocked streaming.

I personally think it's a great idea, but, unfortunately, I have to look at the big picture.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Spazz posted:

We've tried that, and unfortunately it's on 2010 (which is another headache. Ask me about SAMLv2 and SP2010!). It actually just happened today again and they were OK with us poking around before we reset it. An application pool recycle on the site actually fixed it, so I'm thinking something is getting hung up. The client also reported that the site was incredibly sluggish before the recycle.

It's funny: Using stsadm and Set-SPSite to try to unlock it didn't fix it, and it actually doesn't even show up as locked when you do GetLockStatus.

An app pool recycle seems to do the trick for us as well, but ,of course, it's only a band-aid fix and not a solution. Are any of the sites in the site collection running custom plugins or scripts? Is your site collection database over 100GB?

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

A couple of devs sent me an email requesting they be given admin rights to upload .vbs files on our production SharePoint site.

Let's see what IT Security has to say about that.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

internet jerk posted:

Why would they be uploading script files to Sharepoint?

That is an excellent question. I'm guessing somebody is trying to implement some kind of ridiculous hack.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

No, sir, you cannot have access to "Active Directories" to add your staff to SharePoint.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Kerberos is driving me absolutely loving crazy.

Auth to each individual server via https, no problem at all.

Auth through the VIP. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. What the gently caress?

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

tango alpha delta posted:

Kerberos is driving me absolutely loving crazy.

Auth to each individual server via https, no problem at all.

Auth through the VIP. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. What the gently caress?

Fixed: SPNs were misconfigured or only configured for a couple of nodes. gently caress.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

I've been tasked to upgrade our MediaWiki from 2006. Kill me now.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

When refreshing desktops from the sweet and sour gas wells up north, we'd get the occasional mouse nest inside the computer.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Hey, everyone, did you know that Excel 365 still has a 240 character limit on filenames? Some of you are probably wondering so what?

Well, imagine you have an xls buried several layers deep in a Sharepoint Online document library, or the file was migrated from a network drive file structure using Sharegate into a SharePoint Online site.

If the file is nested too deeply, good loving luck trying to open it.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Jira tip - Jira hasn't supported Excel export for awhile, but the export was just a hack. Simply export the HTML and change the extension to .xls. This is all Jira was doing internally anyway.

Hope this helps someone.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

A few years ago, I received a frantic phone call from a very upset user.

"Why isn't my email working? I can't send any email!"

OK, where are you right now?

"I'm onsite! Why isn't my email working! What did you do?!"

Where is 'onsite', exactly?

"Oh I'm visiting our clients nuclear reactor. I'm in the control room and my email isn't working!"

Oh, well it's extremely unlikely that a nuclear reactor is connected to the outside world, much less the internet. Please try again when you get back to your motel room.

After a very long pause "Well why didn't they tell me?! gently caress!"

Sigh

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

I was confronted by the owner of the company I was sys admin for.

"You're ripping us off!"

Sorry?

"I checked my internet bill at home and we pay waaay more for our business connection! It's a rip off!"

OK, so you're comparing your home internet with a dedicated T3 line?

"So what, what difference does that make?"

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

I worked in tier 2 and tier 3 Enterprise app support for twenty years.

I do not miss it, and I see nothing has changed in the last three years since my retirement.

Stay strong and try not to drink too much.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

sporkstand posted:

If you email me with a question you DONT NEED TO CC MY BOSS AND YOUR BOSS, IT WONT GET YOUR QUESTION ANSWERED ANY FASTER, IN FACT IT MAY TAKE EVEN LONGER. Thanks.
For years now, I've been trying unsuccessfully to come up with a polite, diplomatic way to tell people to not do this as it annoys me to no end.

This is a classic CYA move. Just lean into it because it might help you down the line.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

KillHour posted:

I hate git SO MUCH

Git is fine. What used to piss me off was when devs would set up local code repositories for preproduction and production on the same goddamn server, just different folders called pre and prod. Totally safe with zero chance of pushing the wrong code base to the wrong folder. Trust us.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

I was a CyberArk admin, with literally thousands of usernames and passwords at my fingertips. It was a little cumbersome at first but with 15000 employees it worked out pretty well

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

The Iron Rose posted:

Today was also a rough day, where I and a colleague were presenting our CI/CD pipeline to developers and were met with unbridled hostility to the very idea that developers should not be able to deploy to production locally built images from their laptops. A myriad of criticisms made in good and not so good faith, and what amounted to a few “gently caress yous” only barely concealed by technical language. It really bordered on the edge of unprofessional, especially when their manager left halfway through and the engineers stopped hiding their contempt.

but but sometimes gitlab runners sometimes fail (which they never let us know about!) so obviously all CI/CD is worthless as a result. Easily one of the worst and most hostile meetings I’ve been to in my professional life.

Holy poo poo that’s rough. You are going to need buy in from people much, much higher on the food chain for them to change their attitude, maybe even create a triage team to act as a buffer for your CI/CD pipeline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

You know what pisses me off? Idea guys. I had to tell off this idea guy because he wants someone to take his MatLab scripts and turn them into an application that computes wear and tear on drill bits in a full 3 dimensional physics simulator for the oil and gas industry that also runs on Android, IOS, PC, and as a web app. He seems completely clueless as to the staggering amount of work required to turn his idea into a working thing.