Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

stubblyhead posted:

Couldn't "west coast of Denmark" technically mean Greenland though?

So land is REALLY cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Ynglaur posted:

For gently caress's sake mute your phone if you're not speaking.

Edit: Also if you outsource something to India please do not pack them together on bench table 1 meter apart. It makes it impossible to hear one of them talking because you have 300 people in a small room all talking at the same time.

I was accused of being in India once, when I did phone tech support.

I grew up in Ohio, and only speak english.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

pixaal posted:

Unless you are one of the people that likes helpdesk, then apply for helpdesk someplace else and make more.

I am one of the crazy people who likes being helpdesk. :gonk:

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

pixaal posted:

Basically find some IT department that actually values good helpdesk work and will pay you well for it. It's gotta exist.

I work for a non-profit that respects the IT department. The employees love me, I get awesome benefits, two paid weeks off every summer AND winter that don't come out of my vacation time... I could make more money, yeah, but the perks here are nice.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Dick Trauma posted:

Is it a lumber mill or a flour mill?

He works for a paper mill.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Inspector_666 posted:

They generally do both, don't they?

A Psychiatrist understands the physical chemical processes of the brain, how drugs interact with them, and the different chemical causes for different conditions. They can proscribe medications because they know how everything will work at a physical level. A good one will talk to you to try and find out if your issue is a physical one (chronic or longterm issues) or something caused by environment or a reaction to something else. If they think it's a physical issue made worse by environmental factors, or entirely enviromental, they will have you talk to a psychologist, but may put you on meds for the short term. A psychologist understands how the mind deals with input and how it can be conditioned to react in different ways. They may suggest meds, but somebody else has to do the prescribing.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

RFC2324 posted:

Do sites still disable right click? I haven't encountered that in years.

I've seen a few, also ones that add poo poo to your clipboard. No-Script is very nice.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Bob Morales posted:

Lost the IT conference room because we're making it into a milking station.

I knew it was coming but:

The one girl who had twins isn't coming back to work
The owners daughter who's going to hatch her spawn any day this week is getting like 3-4 months maternity leave
The other girl who had her kid last week will be back in 6 weeks or whatever, why can't she use the old milking room?

Because now the IT conference room will have a productive use. :smuggo:

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Bob Morales posted:

COMPUTERS ARE MAGIC YOU ARE MAGICIAN DO YOUR MAGIC

Exec calls. "Help! I just typed in this whole page of information and when I hit 'send' it gave me an error! I have to re-type it all! Bring it back!"

Remote in, they're on some vendor website which is using some sort of web form straight out of 2002.

Click the 'Go back' button on the error page. Takes you back to re-start entering the data in the form.

Click back in the browser to get back to the page they were on. Get some message about wanting to re-send the page.

Sorry, can't help you.

"BUT THE DATA IS THERE SOMEWHERE OOHHH NOOO MAKE IT COME BACK YOU KNOW YOU CAN"

So he's asking for a keylogger to be installed on his computer, right?

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

D34THROW posted:

How the gently caress do you print 476 reams of paper in 10 months? That's like 11 reams a week...2 reams a day...what the gently caress is this person doing?

He's on a personal crusade to kill all forests.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Bigass Moth posted:

Who looks at a Kindle Fire and says "this is the device I choose to conduct business on."

People who go for style over substance because they don't know the difference between a laptop and a tablet.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Russia just put a bill before Putin that will ban all proxies and VPN traffic in the country.

I don't think they know how much poo poo VPNs are used for, but I have popcorn ready.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Bob Morales posted:

so like china

China doesn't ban VPNs, they just require all the VPN providers to register with the state and block sites that china doesn't allow.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

I'm in

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

A Pinball Wizard posted:

My boss wants us all to start keeping logs of our daily activities. I have been on the fence about :yotj: but this might be the clincher.

2:30pm-2:45pm - Took break, used the restroom and took a huge dump, then quickly masturbated before returning to work. Effect: huge personal morale boost at 0 cost to the company.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

pixaal posted:

9:00AM-10:00AM email
10:00-12:00PM stupid meetings
12:00PM-1:00PM Lunch
1:00PM-3:30PM did actual work
3:30PM-4:00PM documented actual work
4:00PM-5:00PM wrote this stupid summary and made it more detailed like what meetings and what each task in work was

Wait, you actually work 9-5? You lucky bastard. I work 8-5.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Bob Morales posted:

gently caress salespeople. gently caress their demands. gently caress their 'well we already sold it so unless you want to upset my customer...' gently caress their canned lines they learned from salesdick seminars when they try to 'be your friend' when they want something. gently caress them in their asses

See, this just encourages them. Makes them feel special and pretty.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Thanatosian posted:

We had a user pissed off at us today because she decided this morning that she wanted to work from home, and hadn't logged into her laptop in at least six months, and all the issues she was having were our fault.

If she can't just login to the laptop without having to update, then what's the point of even having it?!

If she doesn't use her work computer, what's the point of her having it?

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

skooma512 posted:

I don't understand how a requirement of 10 computers by Tuesday became oh if you could have just one set up that would be great, but no rush. I sent an email to everyone involved apprising them of exactly what the situation is and to set the correct expectations and requirements. Why is the desktop computer janitor coordinating better than 2 people who've held the title for about a decade?

It sounds more like "one computer maybe by Tuesday" somehow turned into "10 by Tuesday"... probably because someone mentioned ALL of next months hirings shortly after remembering to start a computer request.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

poo poo pissing me off with rackspace - former employee deletes all of his emails on his last day, before also wiping everything off his computer. This is a person who actually gave us two weeks notice, so we didn't expect mass data destruction to happen.

Rackspace apparently doesn't allow "point in time restores" to recover data, and their web system for recovering deleted emails makes you select ONE EMAIL AT A TIME with no Select All button. Try to get them to run a loving powershell command to recover everything they have in the recovery folder? Nope, that's data management, they expressly don't do that!

They force you to set up the account in Outlook to recover things via Outlooks recovery options. Which you can't do on a mac, or if you aren't using Outlook or if you just don't want to add TWENTY-FOUR THOUSAND EMAILS to your ost file.

gently caress you rackspace.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Thanks Ants posted:

Did they purge the emails after deleting them? Recover Deleted Items is available in webmail.

Yes it is available, but rackspace has it set up so you have to select emails ONE AT A TIME in order to recover stuff. There is no Select All button, and somehow they broke the shift-click function for selecting multiple emails at once.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

skooma512 posted:

I don't know why time tracking needs to be so convoluted. I play Dwarf Fortress with no tileset and that doesn't even compare with SAP. It's like they're primarily concerned with edge cases, but they never really got around to telling us how to code normal hours, if it even works at all like the training tells you.

This check I ended up somehow less than 80 hours despite clearly telling the loving thing I worked at least 8 hours most days and a few more than that. I even worked a Saturday. I'm also getting an 8% shift differential somehow.

It would probably go a long way if they just autopopulated a blank row for normal regular hours and left the weird cases up to the user instead of burying it under tons of stuff with almost no documentation.

Nothing can be more complicated than Dwarf Fortress. Anything that looks to be is obviously just a pile of trash that pretends to do something.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Sickening posted:

That is the first I have ever heard of company opening their employees mail. Is this some strange security policy?

It might be regional legal requirements, my company is required to have any packages (not mail) delivered to our company loading dock be opened to verify the contents. Anything without a packing slip may be rejected outright if the name on the package isn't on a short list or our receiving folks are told to keep an eye out for it beforehand.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Serfer posted:

Wasn't there a recruiter in the Bay Area that everyone had enjoyed working with? They've demoted my boss and specifically crafted his replacement's job listing to exclude me. They have zero requirements, aside from legal ones and ones they know I don't meet (college degree, previous management experience). The closest thing they have to IT in the requirements is that you have to have "an interest in the future of technology," it's so pathetically bad, and not even being considered after 9 years here is disheartening.

So, time to move on! Good thing Windows admins are so popular in the Bay Area :negative:

What part of the bay area? Place I'm at in Campbell needs a couple more Windows Sysadmins, preferably with Okta and Office 365 experience. PM me.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Sickening posted:

Is Okta a flaming piece of garbage?

Honestly, it seems to be a fairly good product. Plugs into just about everything, easy to manage.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

22 Eargesplitten posted:

lovely docking stations too. Our Dell USB-C stations are terrible. They randomly decide they don’t want to work for 5 minutes and then start working again. And they only support two monitors despite having 3 or 4 ports.

Don't forget that USB-C isn't actually... USB.

We keep having to order macbook pro's for my workplace. The 13" ones that only have 2 USB-C ports and NOTHING ELSE. With no good docking station options available. Please shoot me.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

MF_James posted:

I just assume everyone is an idiot; it has yet to fail me.

Quote for truth

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

New thread title:

More poo poo that pisses you off: It's idiots all the way down

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

ratbert90 posted:

What if kink shaming is my kink?

Thats called Humiliation Play.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Sophos Endpoint actually shut down a cryptolocker infection on our network before it could do any damage, so... it's not ALWAYS pointless!

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

:v: IT Manager: "Hey software devs, your Dev QA servers are now 4 years out of warranty. We set up AWS for you, and have brought four different companies in to discuss moving your poo poo onto the AWS servers. Why haven't you moved like you promised?"

:rant: Dev: "We are too busy, and nothing on those servers are critical, we can rebuild as needed."

:v: IT Manager: "Are you sure? We can't get replacement parts for this equipment, the cores are maxed out and we don't have space on our internal servers to back this stuff up. If anything fails, we cannot fix it."

:rant: Dev: "Look, it's fine. Don't worry about it"

One server failure late

:rant: Dev: "Get this server back up! It's critical, we need it now!"

:v: IT Manager: "We have been telling you for four years that this server is out of warranty, is likely to fail, and isn't being backed up. You were supposed to move all of this to AWS four years ago."

:rant: Dev: "Can't you just shove this onto one of your spare servers, or fix this one?"

:v: IT Manager: "We have told you, there are no parts to fix this one, and we don't HAVE spare servers."

:rant: Dev: "Just fix it, I don't care how. And no, we aren't buying a new server or migrating to AWS."

*edit* We are now on the 3rd Dev QA server failure in two weeks. All hardware. All out of warranty. And the fuckers refuse to listen to us.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

https://krebsonsecurity.com/2018/03/who-is-afraid-of-more-spams-and-scams/

Oh hey, GDPR is going to cause WHOIS to become unuseable for a 6 months or more. Time to start drinking.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

neogeo0823 posted:

If i did then at least if get a response. Most recent prospect was a referral for a job via a guy who would be my co-worker if i got hired. Per his instructions, called his boss, had a conversation, he seemed really eager to move the process along. Per the manager's instructions, emailed him my resume and cover letter, applied to company via their website, and waited. Got an email back saying basically "ok, got everything. I just need some paperwork from hr and I'll call you to set up the interview." I responded back with basically a "great! Looking forward to hearing from you!" and then... Silence. Almost a week later, i email him a simple "hey, looking to follow up with you on this" sort of email. Silence. That was Monday. Yesterday i got an automated email from the company saying "here's a job opening you might be interested in!" with the same job i already applied to.

HR is sometimes jealous of their role as interview gatekeepers.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

AlternateAccount posted:

So after this round of layoffs, my team which handles desktop support for multiple sites spanning the entire US will drop to a ratio of over two hundred employees to each staffer from the already difficult ~130:1. Ffffffffuuuuuuuuu it's time to go.

I'm at 250:1 and rising... because the company is expanding and IT keeps getting it's budget cut.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

"Your annual pay for pooping is $7800"

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

silicone thrills posted:

I sadly sometimes post in imgur comments when I'm feeling like fighting people.

I just post on SA if I want to fight someone.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Bigass Moth posted:

What is the worst animal to herd? Whatever it is I’m in charge at the moment.

Anything from the Weasel family

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Today I was accused of witchcraft by a remote user.

They said I make magic happen. Feels good man.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

The poo poo not pissing me off: Boss wants to pay for a bunch of training classes for me in various stuff that will help advance my career
The poo poo pissing me off: Boss found out that he was given a training budget of $0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Bob Morales posted:

No matter what you do to a hard drive, some goth kid will get the data off it before the episode of CSI is over.

Why do crime dramas always make the techies goth? I don't think I've ever seen a goth working in IT...