Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

evol262 posted:

In addition to what the previous posters said, you also have no idea what that's gonna do from a system level, the files are completely uncontrolled (by a package manager), there's no way to uninstall it, it almost certainly just rams whatever dependencies in through pip/gem/etc instead of checking whether they're there from debs/RPMs, etc.

It's 2015. FPM exists. Even if you don't wanna maintain a RPM/Deb spec and a copr/ppa, there's not a good reason not to have real packages.

It's plain lazy in a million ways, and bad practice.

You've completely missed my point so many times. I don't know if you're being purposefully obtuse, have terrible reading comprehension, or just dislike a username on a forum so much that you can't respond in any real way, and I don't care. I'm literally expression my opinion.

The comment about spergs was about the users on this forum being unable to have an actual conversation about anything based on opinions. Your ridiculous "reduce everything said to some kind of absolute statement that I can disprove so we can go back to throwaway comments about how much memory we have or how much larchesandrew's job sucks" is kind of a symptom of that.

There are a bunch of people on these forums who work at interesting places and have had interesting careers. But any attempt to actually, I dunno, talk about poo poo in the general threads gets shut down.

Yes and no. I'm not gonna quote myself, but I also install debugging tools on problem servers, then kill it (if it's not a customer server), but that's not the point.

Ok, so this is kind of it.

My opinion is an opinion.

I'm gonna make an analogy here based on an assumption. You don''t need to respond and tell me "no, I didn't use IrvanView, you're the one who's :spergin:!"

Remember when you started getting into computers 10 years ago, and somebody you know built their own, so you built yours? Then you'd see all these screenshots with Rainlendar and you had to have it? And IrfanView was so much better. And Explorer++ was an obvious comfort tool? And... (add 10 other things)

Then every time your hard drive died (because it was 2005, and that happened more often then), you installed less? Or maybe you started working professionally before that happened, and you stopped doing much because you were gonna be on who knows how many servers or you didn't have permissions? So you probably got used to the defaults, and they're not as bad as you thought they were. Like, they're good enough to get everything done. And you're probably as productive as you were when you still had all that poo poo installed, because you have more experience know and you know more hotkeys, or whatever? So now you just install the actual tools you need (process explorer, whatever) to debug problems instead of explorer++, even though explorer++ was/is a quick install with no downside?

It's pretty much that. Running a single command that takes 15 seconds isn't the end of the world. It's just that, in the same way you don't do stuff to your Windows servers, and that's probably carried over to your windows workstation, the more time I spent on various Linux/UNIX servers, the more I got used to the defaults, and now I hardly install anything on my workstation. Obviously there are development tools and stuff I need for my job, but I look at stuff like gently caress and I think: is this that much better than "sudo !!" or "Ctrl+d Alt+b Alt+d ..." (for git or other stuff)?

Most of the time I say "no". Sometimes I say yes. ipython is indispensible, and I get away without it (painfully) on real servers. I totally get wanting convenience stuff to make it nicer. I just wonder at the people who "need" ohmyzsh/gently caress/prelude/whatever that's basically the equivalent to "needing" Explorer++ or LiteStep.

I wonder, out loud, because I recognize that I am not the only person on Earth, and my opinions aren't universal. I wonder, out loud, because there are a lot of other talented people on this forum, and maybe one of them will chime in about whether they got used to defaults after a while and stopped feeling the "need" for other stuff.

I kept posting to reiterate that point instead of saying "you're right, regulated industries aren't the same as startups!" Because that's loving obvious. And it wasn't what I was getting at at all.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TL;DR

Do other people with a decade of experience feel like they "need" stuff to make them feel comfortable on default installs?

dude straight up coming to the "poo poo that pisses you off" thread to start a fight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Oh my god. How are they getting paid money for this thing.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Bob Morales posted:

Makes me think of when Mailchimp hosed their logo up

stubblyhead posted:

It kinda looks like it says Mail Chump I guess.

Mail... Kimp?

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

ChickenOfTomorrow fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Feb 23, 2021

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

(POSTS LINK TO LIQUOR STORE INVENTORY CATALOG)

here is the best guide you poor poor idiot

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

ChickenOfTomorrow fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Feb 23, 2021

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Surely that's why you'd have an MSP

ChickenOfTomorrow fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Dec 18, 2015

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Skandranon posted:

What I'm saying is, for the love of god, don't do this to yourself.

yeah that's what 50% of me is saying. the other 50% is saying "if not you, who?" in a sarcastic tone of voice while laughing cruelly

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

30 minutes until I go tell the CEO "our IT is hosed, we need someone in-house to manage it"

:ohdear:

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

it turns out I'm right I won't be asked to do it so :sureboat: hooray it was a good thing

ChickenOfTomorrow fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Dec 18, 2015

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

no, boat. the difference is they float on the water rather than walking

ChickenOfTomorrow fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Dec 18, 2015

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Year of the job

a 12 month period during which a lot of posters here upgraded their jorbs, it might actually have been a thread-official "thing"

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

:toot:

ChickenOfTomorrow fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jan 21, 2017

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

WRITING TO THE EVENT LOG IS A GOOD IDEA THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN BETTER IF YOU'D HAD IT TEN YEARS AGO

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

E: triple post

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Re: those blocked chip card slots.

Don't blame the stores for not turning on chip and signature, blame the processors for not having those terminals certified yet:

https://consumerist.com/2016/03/22/retailers-frustrated-about-chip-card-terminals-they-cant-turn-on-liability-for-fraud/

(Actually, blame everyone involved for waiting until the last minute.)

ChickenOfTomorrow fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Apr 18, 2016

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

you'll go bankrupt from chargeback liability long before then

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

You fool! You changed the outcome by observing it!

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

how come everyone on these forums posting about us employment confuses "at will" and "right to work"

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

ChickenOfTomorrow fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jan 21, 2017

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa stop talking about it

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

xzzy posted:

You can be drat sure I will never make another post regarding network security in any place I suspect you might read it.

Fishmeched again!

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Not only does my work place have free coffee and tea, i once got a free package of assorted size googly eyes.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

75% of the workforce off on workers comp for heatstroke.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Zamujasa posted:

poo poo pissing me off: "Thanks." emails. The new manager, apart from being clueless, replies to every message sent with "Thanks" or some variant.

Aw, they're just being polite.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

flosofl posted:

What part of 'I have a process that works' do you not understand?

CHANGE SCARES ME, I REFUSE TO CHANGE MY PROCESS

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Complying with the law by making affordances for lactating mothers is excellent and I will not be swayed from this view.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

peter banana posted:

Maybe the focus can be on figuring out why women are habitually underrepresented in tech!

:iiam:

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

we blew past multiple deadlines going tra-la-la

ChickenOfTomorrow fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Aug 24, 2016

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

instructions unclear, got dilz stuck in Dyson Airblade

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

did you know that bar codes actually work on the empty spaces not the black stripes???

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

every morning when I come in I start my pot of tea steeping. I usually let it steep between 10 and 45 minutes depending on how busy I am. I like my tea strong so I don't mind if it oversteeps a bit.

yesterday my tea was steeping for six hours

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

yeah this is definitely the sort of derail we need on a Monday morning

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

vibur posted:

Using FileMaker for something right now. It works perfectly for me and the 15 other people that use it, too, so gently caress you, buddy.

source your quotes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

don't let your employer health shame you, bob!