Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Che Delilas posted:

Posted about this before, but my boss once told me I was "doing the bare minimum," which to him meant I wasn't putting in any unpaid overtime. No other measurements were used to conclude "bare minimum." Turns out that I could work a lot less hard than I was during those "bare minimum" hours.

My sympathies, but not my empathy. My boss manages the exact other way. He goes over a spreadsheet with our little IT group each month. All of us together. We tack-on projects that need to be done, he assigns them, and we talk about our progress on projects. You-to-supervisor in private is one thing, but you feel a little more pressure / motivation to stay focused when you're a little light-handed on project work and your peers know it. It's positive, overall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Simpleboo posted:

We informed management that because of the stability, or lack thereof, of the application we would need about six hours of downtime to expand the server's RAID array then restore the application to a functioning state.
Today the owner informed us that there will be no downtime. None.

Let me guess: Raid5 or 6 because the array is old / manager didn't want to invest in Raid10?

Edit: "Hey I expect you to pull off a miracle and do something with a fundamentally-required rebuild time without the rebuild time!"

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Kornjaca posted:

I don't think that this has been stress enough but

gently caress.printers!

e: Jesus, didn't know that printers had the ability to make someone so mad that they forgot how to spell.

Seriously though, gently caress printers

We just switched to a managed print service and charged the departments that want to keep wasting heaps of money on paper and toner for the services directly. The MSP produced a believable sales pitch study our paper-hungry departments accepted as truth. It was monstrously generous in favor of the cost effectiveness of their solution, but hey, I don't need to tell them that.

"I'm sorry you're having issues with the printer. The phone number for [msp company] on a sticker on the lid."

*drops mic*

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Wizard of the Deep posted:

If this is a typo or not, either way it's amazing.

Happens all the time. Guy / gal in IT management gets burned once and heftily overspecs everything afterwards. S/he then proceeds to deny accountability for not understanding the performance bottlenecks of a system by pointing to the hideously unbalanced system's receipt and saying, "Hey, don't look at me, it's the best money can buy."

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Paladine_PSoT posted:

poo poo that doesnt piss me off: the networking team in charge of building an expansion in our datacenters came to lowly old contractor me to find out how much bandwidth they needed between the old building and the new one because i knew network traffic patterns better.

poo poo that makes me outright smile: when i said we needed a larger pipeline than weve ever done before (24Tbps) i had a bunch of very high level network architects sit down with me to figure out what i did wrong to get that number.

I successfully defended it. :frogbon:

Heavens -- what are you doing that requires 24 Tbps??

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

sfwarlock posted:

coa: yeah imma go down in flames.

me: How?

coa: get linux for dummies and leave it on his desk

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Urit posted:

My CEO is burning bridges faster than we can.

That's loving awful. Good luck.

Edit: Don't burn any bridges of your own on the way out! You never know.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jan 28, 2015

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Dick Trauma posted:

<snip - much ado about unprofessional behavior>

This is a woman who is searching for someone who will end up being one of her peers in the staff of VPs. She must be currying so much favor with her future co-workers.

Executive search agencies exist for this express purpose -- that is, months-long searches for character and talent that don't just interview the applicants but the team that would work with the open position in the future. It's a long shot, but I'm guessing this company is taking no such elegant route?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Ursine Asylum posted:

And this is why you sign up to poo poo with mailing list addresses and not personal addresses.

I ended up doing this two jobs ago retroactively, modifying the account info for every account with SCEA/SCEE/XBLA/iTunes Connect/blah, it was really great finding that some alert emails were still going into a dead letter box owned by my great-great-grand-predecessor for that position.

I'm facing similar trouble in our environment, but of a different flavor -- we have a guy who is getting really touchy as we move more and more lines of communication from his mailbox to the communal helpdesk email.

Every time we want to change a communication email address to something more global, it's "Soon, not now, I'm too busy." It's going both ways though -- if he drops the ball on something, it's because we haven't changed the communication email address yet for him .

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Stanos posted:

Nuance is hard to grasp sometimes. Just like there's a line between someone from your old job e-mailing you about X when X is something simple and quick to explain versus 'hey our stuff exploded, let me tie up your day here.'

Since about last August (right after a special system a now-retired guy built exploded), I've started to log my setup of new systems screenshot-by-screenshot, including links to best practices I was following.

If someone has questions in the future, they can read the f* extended manual.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Thanks Ants posted:

Speaking of documentation, anyone who thinks it means "a step-by-step guide for how to rebuild the infrastructure from scratch with no experience" needs to reacquaint themselves with reality. My view on documentation is it is something along the lines of "these are the VLANs in use, and the subnets on each" and not "this is what VLAN means, and this is how you configure them on our switches".

The itty bitty part of me that still thinks of myself as a scientists wants my work to be reproducible, so really it's just screenshots of options, names, and whatever else ProgramInstallerX asked for upon setup. Justifications for the decisions made rest with best practices and "F* you, this was my project."

Edit: It boils down to our team's organization. There are only four of us, including our supervisor, so it is thought that we each need to have a full understanding of how each of our systems works. Management fears, maybe with some credulity, that we become segregated and specialized in our knowledge, leaving a vulnerability when one of us eventually moves on. Case in point, I replaced a guy who was really their only anchor to the Linux world, and there were some fairly basic issues that were wrecking uptime.

A lot of emphasis is being placed on cross-training. Instead of fumbling around in the dark when I build something, I read. Research. Look at best practices, at examples, run tests, etc. A teammate of mine does not, and my supervisor has his hands way too full to really be building things. This, combined with the expectation that either (a) everyone needs to know exactly how everything works or (b) documentation needs to facilitate holes in part (a), leads to me having to cover my rear end with screenshots every time I select something / add something / modify something in a system whose intricacies I alone understand at the time.

If / when something is later changed without consideration / understanding of all consequences, I'm able to go back and show that (1) it was working before (2) someone changed this and it is different from how I built it (3) here's the best practice document that outlines why I did it.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Feb 2, 2015

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Dick Trauma posted:

I had my interview this morning with that confrontational HR VP and it went really well. In person she was friendly and asked good questions. The company is lacking for systems and instead of hypotheticals she asked me about what I could see implementing for her (HR department of one) as well as accounting. Toward the end of the interview she said "I like you, and I want you to meet the CFO and managing director as well." Those will be scheduled separately.

I was prepared for it to be as ugly as that phone call but it went as well as possible. Everything she told me about the company tech environment issues got the wheels in my head turning as it's all stuff I've dealt with before in one way or another. At one point she said "I don't want to try and fool you into thinking everything runs perfectly here" and I said "If you told me everything ran perfectly I'd want to work here to see what you're doing. If you said you had problems I'd want to work here to fix them."

Also I got to wear my new suit for the first time and I think I looked good. For an I.T. guy. :cool:

Thank you all for being so supportive. I'll keep you updated.

Good news! I wouldn't have expected that to go well -- given your past experience over the phone. Good luck.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

AAB posted:

lmao I have someone that doesn't understand "Thats the limit of the service, you are going way over. Please condense what you have to make it more manageable or back it up some other way." They also don't get that you can't transmit over 20GB in 30 seconds on a generic wifi data connection.

So my boss got emailed and I'll have to copy and paste this from the 4 emails I sent it in. Lovely.

Does the user have trouble with long division? Google can help:

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=20GB+%2F+100+Mbit%2Fs

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

5er posted:

Gettin real tired of hearing, "tell me why I bought a RAID unit if I have to leave a copy of the data on something else?"

Encrypt a few files for the person.

"This is how Cryptolocker works."

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Daylen Drazzi posted:

Do yourselves a big favor - if anything (and I do mean ANYTHING) seems out of order don't hesitate to see your physician.

I'm sorry, Daylen, but also thank you. I got health insurance from my new employer last November, but I've been putting off signing-up with a GP and getting a general checkup. drat it, I have to do this.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

sfwarlock posted:

I finally had a sit-down with him, slightly assisted by alcohol. Apparently he's terrified that we have this super-customized hacked together undocumented consumer hardware blah blah. I told him any experienced Linux admin could walk in the door, read our docs, and be up to speed, and that we're no more customized than a similar-sized Windows infrastructure.

We'll see what happened...

The moment most non-Linux-trained managers see the word "Package," their eyes start to cross. The Law of Unix is very weird to them -- its scary to see so many parallel components of a piece of software when you're used to having all these tools neatly packaged up what the manager perceives as a "single" .exe "program" or installer.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Spazz posted:

User submits ticket in all caps.

User submits followup ticket in all caps.

User replies to each ticket chain in all caps looking for update.

User is belligerent and angry because of a lack of understanding of the system, but happily blames technician answering tickets.

User, after being kindly reminded that all caps e-mails come across as hostile, says "Oh sorry, my caps lock was stuck on."

User follows up with all caps e-mail and caps in subject line, causing new ticket to be created.

Issue is finally closed out, user files survey response lambasting technician by questioning competence and stating that the proposed answer was actually wrong. It wasn't.

I honestly don't think I would have a job still if I were the one to have taken on that ticket, and my colleague is a saint for not snapping.

Do you guys have a means by which to review / back-up your teammates?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Martytoof posted:

Fuuuucking Java

DON'T BLOCK

DON'T BLOCK

ACCEPT

DON'T BLOCK

DON'T PROMPT AGAIN FOR THIS APPLICATION

DON'T BLOCK

RUN THIS UNSIGNED APPLICATION

DON'T BLOCK

and then a java error to top it off.

Any chance you need to add a certain site to your Trusted Sites?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Martytoof posted:

This is for my iDRAC and it's already in my trusted sites list :(

Yeah, one of these days I'm gonna properly cert our systems' management pages.

Yep, any day now :\

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

GI_Clutch posted:

So, whatever, we build the stuff and bill the hell out of the prime because it's totally out of scope. So, the software has been live for five months now. I get an email tonight from one of the folks from the company who didn't want to use the API. "Hey, so does the DMS support any kind of web service to do things like uploading documents? Other DMS's like SharePoint do. I think someone said you mentioned the software has Java libraries..." Seriously? You want nothing to do with the API, we build all these dumb roundabout processes, and now that the software's been live for five months you are inquiring about using the API when one of your developers straight up said "we don't want to use the API" on one of the meetings? gently caress off.

More business = good business, no? Particularly if they now want poo poo to be built the right, easy way?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

5er posted:

loving people are probably thriving pulling this poo poo off, and I don't know if I should be proud of, or condemning myself for having scruples.

Specifically in the case of most storage appliance vendors....how do I say this. By the time a customer pays for overpriced hardware and a support contract, margins on storage appliances are big. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Che Delilas posted:

unprofessional_manager.jpg

If the mass emails to the tune of "hurr durr do better everyone my penis is small" do not fit in the escalating procedures on employee discipline...

Does your office have any policies on what constitutes harassment? Particularly if the mass email ever includes names or implies them? In my workplace, public naming / shaming, even if you don't actually write someone's name down, can be pursued as harassment as it bypasses clear disciplinary protocols that strictly involve private, controlled feedback.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Me: "I'm trying to set up and tune a linux host for Oracle 12c. My server is on the hardware compatibility list for RHEL7 and Oracle Linux 7. I'm assuming we should we go with Oracle Linux 7?"

Linux SME: "No. RHEL7."

Me: "Why?"

Linux SME: "Oracle can't support their own database. Why would you want their OS?"

I think someone in here posted something to the same effect a few weeks back.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I have a VRTX whose CMC (chassis DRAC) just did the same thing. The "guilty until proven a management license owner" model of Express vs Enterprise licensing is horrible, and I'm glad other corps like VMware are pulling away from it as a default.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Scaramouche posted:

"$VeteranCustomerSupport has handed in their notice effective immediately."

There are some times where you can negotiate higher pay. This is one of those times.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Users aren't users, they're operators.

The people who pay for your company's product / services aren't just customers, they're family. :barf:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Sweevo posted:

And that existing installations of XP don't just stop working, or magically fill themselves with viruses just because mainstream support ended.

How many XP machines do you still have deployed in your environment?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Thanks Ants posted:

Today's piss-off: an Office 365 migration that was performed hastily due to *~reasons~* relating to contracts and fallings out with providers, with a bunch of poo poo from an on-prem Exchange that had suffered from the shotgun approach to assigning permissions, and now I have the winning combination of an admin assistant with multiple delegated calendars, Outlook on Mac, and a WAN link performing to standards I can only describe as 'broken'.

Kill me now.

Do you perhaps live in Atlanta?

I ask because a certain downtown institute is doing exactly the same thing.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Thanks Ants posted:

Nope, I guess it's just a really popular way to ruin projects.

Typo ^

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Che Delilas posted:

Pissing me off today:

Thanks for your resume and cover letter, Che! We know you must have put a ton of hard work into them - even agonized over them, dare we say - to make them look good and interesting and make you stand out in some small way. Now if you'll be so kind as to spend the next hour re-entering every piece of that information into the ugliest, slowest and least efficient web form you've ever seen (broken up into 17 separate pages, of course), so we can vomit it out onto a PDF as a semi-wall of text that removes the individual 'you' from this process as much as possible.

THANKS! :haw:

Hello PeopleSoft Enterprise Talent Acquisition Manager.

edit: well, and a ton of other terrible products, I'm sure.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Nintendo Kid posted:

One of the big things regular faxes has going for them, from compliance/etc perspectives, is that you can go the phone company and get an unequivocal record that a call was made from Company X's fax line to Company Y's fax line for long enough to send the 2 pages of fax that Company X claimed to have sent. You don't have nearly the same ease for "proving" an email was properly sent in such an simple to verify way.

That, and the legal system -- at least in the USA -- has absolutely zero capacity to try IT matters. I've been peripherally involved in a case in which Entity Y's attorneys rather successfully baffled the judge to hell regarding the certainty of Company X's logs. Plot twist, I was affiliated with Entity Y, but it was regardless pretty bullshit. I frankly cannot remember even half of it. Utter retardation -- and it worked.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

spiny posted:

just keep printing something to it that says 'low toner, please call IT' and someone will ring soon enough :)

That, or lock it out in its web management tool.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Yes, these were the guys that asked me to beat down a door with a sledgehammer (lol misspelled before), and at $250/hour, I'd do it again in a second.

Yeah, I'd bend to just about anything at that pay level. Invested correctly, that's financial independence at the high end of a middle-class standard of living in 5 - 7 years.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I mean what are my legal options or options for unemployment if they do rescind my offer? I already have the offer letter and they asked for a background check afterwards.

What state do you live in?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

BaseballPCHiker posted:

They already wanted to bring me back in as a contractor to help with some on going projects and they had asked me to push out my final day of work to help out. They would definitely welcome me back with open arms but I was hoping to move on to bigger and better things

It's not my place, but if I was you, I'd be tempted to accept the contract work to give me as much time as possible to find the perfect job. If it ends up taking a few months for you to find it, that'll help stave-off any shelf-life issues as well.

Edit: Oh, and, yes, do the free consultation. A local is going to be the only one who can determine if you have a case.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

"We have the new computer ready. Is there a time this week when we can spend about fifteen minutes switching 'em out?"

"New computer -- the one with the clit mouse?"

Our computers:

I kinda stuttered through a "yes," I think.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Inspector_666 posted:

I know a guy who did semi-pro bodybuilding for a while, and he shaved off his nipple once. Said it grew back after a little while.

The tip of the nipples do in fact grow back. I burned my left nipple off in Boy Scouts.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

For those who don't know who Dilbert as gently caress is and why he's mixing ketamines with alcohol, can we get an explanation of what is transpiring?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

If you don't hate Java, RSSOwl works. http://www.rssowl.org/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

jim truds posted:

The honey moon is over. I sure do wish I got to 3 months before becoming disillusioned. We got told today that we now need to close tickets as solved instead of using pending or hold. Even if something is actively being worked on. The entire team is pissed, including my boss, but his boss does not understand why this is lying or why it invalidates having a ticketing system.

"There is no problem." --Your boss's boss to his/her peers.