Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Caged posted:

Why is Windows so utterly poo poo? Set up a backup using the tools built into Windows 7 to backup onto an external drive (permanently attached to a desktop), tell it to use the whole disk and delete old backups when the disk is full.

Works wonderfully, until the disk fills up when it starts popping up balloons about low disk space. Why doesn't telling the backup to use the entire disk and remove old backups when it's full disable these?

Windows is great. Windows backup is poo poo, I've never seen it used IRL and find it hard to imagine where it would be useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
We just picked up a new client because of cryptolocker (their old vendor had no backups and it hit their shared and home drives) :toot:

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

nitrogen posted:

[

99% of people that bitch about income taxes do not understand how this works.

This is kind of the key here, there are edge cases, but it's unlikely the original poster is one of them. I wonder how many people take a Wendys gift card in exchange for overtime for this reason and consider it beating the system.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

evol262 posted:

That said, it's more that "sending an email to my supervisor asking why I haven't responded in 40 minutes is a baseless personal attack". Either this is something that should endanger your job (because you're not in a position where you have the leeway to shut off your email client and/or go to the machine room) or something your boss should send the user to the helpdesk for or other otherwise defend you. It's not a personal attack for a user to wonder why it's taken 40 minutes to respond to an email, whether or not you're busy.

He could be both helpdesk and guy who legitimately goes to the machine room and the users expectations are a little off, something the boss can fix.

vv Missed that part, yes it is, and seems to have been something a 2 second "Will call you in 20" IM would have fixed. If you're that cranky at work something else must be going on. vv

sanchez fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Oct 30, 2013

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
I hope whoever is responsible for your backups has been doing their job. You could probably run getdataback and recover most of the data if you stop writing to the server right now, but it's going to be an unpleasant process.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Caged posted:

I'm trying to get an understanding of how this would be handled myself so maybe I'm just way off the mark here, but wouldn't a contract with another company to look after that sort of stuff be better in the long run? It doesn't involve someone extra being employed, and it means your guys who don't do infrastructure day to day don't have to drop into infrastructure mode to fight fires.

We, as an MSP, support a few companies that produce web applications as their primary business. They range in size from 5 to perhaps 75, so not huge by any means. They all have their Misogynists on staff though, because the amount of client specific knowledge that we'd need to gain in order to actually meaningfully contribute to how their platform operates doesn't work so well for our business model. A windows network is a windows network, 10 is the same as 50. In comparison the web apps guys have nearly nothing in common. What we do for them is take care of their internal systems (customer service/hr/payroll users etc) leaving the operations guys to focus on the product. It works well.

I can see how someone could consult on the operations side, probably in a very lucrative way, but it would have to be with a handful of clients at a time.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Helushune posted:

He knows I'm not super incompetent at my job (just mostly incompetent) and that I wouldn't botch up something so simple. We went over everything when I got in this morning and he also thinks it was all purposely done. He has a meeting in about an hour with all the junior high teachers and gets to tell them that all their class-specific work that was in that DFS share is now gone. I wouldn't want to be in his shoes.

Do you really have no other backups? What was the plan if the raid controller had poo poo the bed on that server and corrupted the volumes? It happens sometimes.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

MF_James posted:

I'm also of the generation that started growing up with computers, albeit not as advanced as they are now, I was 5 when we got a 286, maybe slightly younger. I have zero desire for twitter/vine/wtfeverflavoroftheyearis. Although snapchat I'm marginally interested in and might start using.

Twitter is great for knowing when service providers are having issues they're not talking about, I use it for that all the time.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Inspector_666 posted:

Why the hell does Sonicwall not have Windows RDP as a Service Object in the OS by default? Adding it takes all of 10 seconds, but still.

It is there as "Terminal Services"

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

CitizenKain posted:

I certainly wouldn't expect the top end phone, just like I don't expect to get the fanciest laptop. Really, if they came in and said "Here is an iPhone 5c 16g", that would be perfect. I don't need the top end phone to do this job, but if they expect me to read my email and stay in touch on the road, then the tool they hand me should be capable of it.

Do you really want to carry two phones though? An BYOD allowance that covers some/most of your personal plan seems like a better option.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
Regardless of how that goes I'd be looking for another job if I were you, much easier to find one when you already have one and you don't have to deal with a possible missing/bad reference.

Since you're in Austria i'm assuming they have to go through certain procedures before firing you, they're probably keeping a record of mistakes however trivial in order to justify that. In the US you can fire someone with no notice or reason so it's a little different here.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
You should have outbound port 25 blocked for anything that isn't a mail server.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
Correct, or an infected client could still send spam through it. Most viruses are not that smart and try to connect directly from the infected machine out to the internet though, so it definitely helps.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
I've found much of the time they don't know what they want, won't understand the document anyway and will accept whatever you throw together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
You'd think a multi million dollar ecommerce site could at least spring for a 3 year cert