Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Today's google doodle is affecting production.

Only 139 here, looks like I'll be busy for the rest of the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

I encountered a user a couple days ago that had no idea how to use a trackpad on a laptop, he looked at it as if it were a steaming turd that he was afraid to touch. He is, of course, in a supervisory role.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Due to some political BS, we were asked to accept a donation of 15 PCs, we were told it was all "good stuff". Maintenance dept. sent 2 guys and a truck to pick up the stuff, 2 hour round trip, here's what they came back with:

Nothing less than 7-8 years old. Not pictured are the 9 boxes of dirty, used keyboards, piles of mice with ps2 connectors, approximately 10-12 useless inkjet printers, 5-10 old, broken scanners and 3 CRT monitors. My boss and I took one look at it and pretty much just laughed and said that there was absolutely nothing we could with the stuff. It's all been sitting in the basement for 2 weeks now waiting for maintenance to haul it away to be recycled.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Today? Users that don't reboot their PCs after I push out IE10 to their machines and they receive an email and a post-installation message telling them that they need to reboot in order to complete the installation. As a result of this, my reports are still showing a bunch of machines with IE8 installed, even though my other report tells me that IE10 successfully installed. Next time I'm just going to use /ForceRestart instead of /NoRestart and remove them from the decision entirely.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

sfwarlock posted:

But... but I had stuff open! You destroyed my stuff! WAAAAAAH!

We sent out an email pretty much saying "Users need to reboot in order to complete the upgrade process, any that dont will have it done for them automatically and may lose data. Too bad so sad"

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

What's pissing me off today? .pdf files. I've got a pdf file that someone sent me via email. It displays properly with all the correct info when viewed using Outlook's preview button. Open it up in Adobe Pro or Reader...and it has completely different data. What the...?:iiam: I've tried opening it in Adobe Pro 6 and 9, and in Reader 10, it shows completely different name/etc. in all the fields, some fields are even blank, when viewed in Outlook, they have paragraphs of text. Weird as all gently caress.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Bokito posted:

The file is cached in the Outlook temp folder?

I considered that but I cleared the cache, also the exact same thing happens on 3 separate computers. I've seen a lot of weird poo poo with pdf files but this is the first time I've seen this.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

slightpirate posted:

So I've been using PDQInventory to do some data gathering that my stubborn-as-an-ox teammate refuses to do succinctly. The only issue I'm running into, is that its taking a huge amount of time to hit every machine in our workstations OU, and on top of that, it seems that some of the machines aren't responding for reasons other than being powered off.

I assume there is a .net framework requirement for WMI to pull this info then? If so, I may have to twist some titties to get our half-dead hampster of a WSUS admin to push that poo poo out over the weekend.

Also, I've taken a liking to quoting Dennis Nedry during our morning status meetings.

PDQ Inventory has a nice little collection called "Requires .NET to scan" included by default.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Today? Truecrypts insistence that I burn an .iso of their "Rescue disk" while encrypting a drive. The machine has no burner so I had to install Virtual Clonedrive and then mount the .iso in order to fool Truecrypt into thinking that I had actually burned a disk. For Pete's sake just let me save the .iso and spit out a warning about the world ending if I dont ever actually burn it to disk

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Wozbo posted:

You're still using truecrypt after what happened?

I'm not using this to protect anything that the NSA would care about. If I hear of criminals actively defeating Truecrypt, I'll consider switching.
Plus, the agency I work for doesnt want to pay for anything so...yeah.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

guppy posted:

Our printer vendor currently doesn't want to send anyone out to check their hardware because they insist it's a problem with our network, even though all of our stuff checks out.

We have a software vendor that is like that. They insist up and down that there's a problem with either the PC or the network whenever their lovely software breaks. When I demonstrate to them that the problem lies within their lovely webapp they always recommend upgrading to IE 11. Unfortunately we cant do that because the county agency that pays us has another webapp that wont work with anything above IE10.

Oh and thanks to whoever suggested "truecrypt format.exe /noisocheck" a page or two back, tried it today and it worked out perfectly.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

My boss went ahead and scheduled the delivery and installation of 10 Ricoh MFP's for today. In 2 locations. Without letting me know :\
One of the "technicians" showed up an hour and a half before the hardware arrived, and then promptly left when it finally did arrive. For some reason he was wearing mismatched shoes as well. The other technicians never did show, we finally had to call them to find out they wouldnt be able to make it today.
They've already hauled off the old devices, so now I have about 150 users in 2 different cities that cant print to their default printers. Yay.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

The one poor bastard that got had the misfortune of sticking around is still plugging away down there, he's been setting up the same machine for about 2 hours now. I'm leaving at 5 sharp so he'd better hurry it up :smug:

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

I just tell people "Backslash is below backspace", at least thats how it is on a standard US keyboard.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Pissing me off today: Chromebooks and Cloud print. I've got the printer properly set up and owned by my user account but I cant see a way to give an entire OU the ability to print to it...only individual users. The members of this OU change at a very rapid pace and I'll be damned if I'm going to be adding/removing them one at a time. Called Google and waited on hold for 15 minutes before I gave up and opened a ticket with them. It's been about 16 hours now and still no response.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Anti-Virus software. We're switching from Symantec endpoint protection 12 to Kaspersky endpoint security select. Well, first of all, my boss let our SEP license expire before we had purchased licensing for Kaspersky. Then, he went on vacation right after finalizing the order with Kaspersky so the email with the licensing info sat in his inbox until he returned. Now that we've got that all sorted out...Kaspersky wont install because it detects SEP as still being installed on the workstations. Kaspersky removes SEP as part of its own installation process, SEP is gone from add/remove programs, windows bitches about no AV software being installed, but still, Kaspersky fails during install because it is still somehow seeing SEP installed.
I've manually removed SEP, uninstalled it using Symantec's own tools (it leaves behind several hundred registry keys and a 150mb directory on the HD, yep, manually deleted all that. Tried Revo uninstaller too), but still loving Kaspersky somehow detects in. So now I'm stuck in some weird kind of AV limbo where I cant fully remove the old one from rougly 250 workstations and cant install the new one. I'm not even sure who to call and bitch out at this point.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

EuphrosyneD posted:

The login I have for the Symantec Cleanwipe utility still works.

https://fileshare.symantec.com/userLogin.html

username: cleanwipeutility
password: CL3@nw!p3
zip password (if applicable): symantec

Thanks, I'll give this a shot tomorrow. Spent about 2 hours on the phone with kaspersky support today, managed to stump them too. They gave me a tool to run on a couple of my test PCs, I emailed the results to them and they're supposedly going to escalate the ticket.
:negative:
We'll see

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

mewse posted:

I was going to PM you that clean wipe utility as well, I've used it to remove stubborn SEP installs in the past. Kaspersky support won't have any idea how to deal with it, but did they have you look at the log files for exactly what reg/file it is stuck on? I dunno, good luck.

Their "tier 2" people are still looking at the problem. They sent me some .ini files but neglected to tell me what to actually do with them.
I ran cleanwipe on a couple machines and it actually does remove SEP to the point where Kaspersky will install without errors. Now I need to see if I can get cleanwipe to run remotely/silently, if I can do that, I'm golden. Thats gonna have to wait though, I'm on vacation til next Friday.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

I have a conundrum: The software ("i-cens") that our security people use to view/access video streams from our security cameras is complete poo poo. The PC that it's currently running on is on it's last legs and needs to be replaced. I figured 'hey, I'll just install this crap on another PC and we'll be good to go'. Nope, the software will install, but when it connects to our lovely chinese dvrs (made by some company called Eyemax), the streams just show up as black squares. The streams are working perfectly fine when viewed through a browser, but that aint good enough for the security staff, they dont want to learn anything new and the browser window doesnt let them view enough cameras at once. The funny thing is, when using i-cens, you can look at past recordings and they show up perfectly normal, the problem only happens with the live streams. I've installed the software on 3 different PCs, all with the same result. I've contacted Eyemax and they pointed me to a fix (copy a provided .ini file to c:\windows, overwriting their existing one) but it doesnt fix poo poo.

So, as a result of this lovely software I have been tasked with either making the existing software/DVR work or pricing another solution to replace these lovely DVRs. Unfortunately, I know absolutely nothing about cameras/DVRs and their associated software (I'm a Windows/network admin). I've been given no budget, so that doesnt help. I've started looking at IP cams and some of the solutions that Ubiquiti offers since I'm familiar with their wifi APs, but since I dont know the first thing about this stuff, I'm not really sure where to start.
Can anybody offer up some recommendations or some advice about this stuff? We've currently got about 25 cameras and we definitely need to have recording capability.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

After a 2 year struggle to rid us of 4 standalone printers due to not having a network drop in the area for a shared printer, I managed to get the approval to have the drop installed. The contractor came out, did the work and I installed a single networked printer for the use of these 4 users. Cue the shitstorm of excuses why they "need" their printers. My boss and I successfully deflect all the BS excuses, until the users came back with one that we couldnt IT our way around...a kid (I work in a facility that provides services to kids with mental health/drug/behavior problems) walked by the printer and "threw the papers up in the air".
I go and price a printer that will allow it to do hold/locked jobs, thereby preventing this problem from ever happening again. But no, basically because we removed the original printers without consulting the supervisor of these users, office politics reared its ugly head and I was ordered to remove the network printer and reinstall the 4 original standalone models.
So yeah, gently caress printers.

Mr. Clark2 fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Dec 11, 2015

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

pixaal posted:

I once found a hub in the wall going to a 4 panel wall jack. The entire place was littered with 100mbit hubs out in the open with no one else on the team caring about replacing them. I replaced them on site with our 10/100switches (gigabit was "too expensive" and "users will never need that much bandwidth") I was yelled at for throwing out a 100mbit hub even though replacing it fixed all the problems. It was dug up from the trash and deployed someplace else to save money.

My boss didnt want to purchase any gigabit switches because he "doesnt want to overload the network"

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

I've spent time over the last several months removing flash from pretty much almost all the workstations in our domain. I've gotten it down to only being installed on the odd machine that absolutely requires it to run some stupid educational app.
As part of our new Cisco VOIP phone system rollout , my boss posts a link to a "Phone training" on our intranet site...and it requires flash. His solution? Reinstall flash on all the machines. :negative:

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Head of the agency has decided that he wants to have a mandatory, standardized, enforced email signature agency-wide. We're using Office365 so this is not really that difficult from an IT standpoint, it's quite easy to do.
I get started on the stuff that I need to do on my end and he gives me a template for the signature that he wants used...it's loving hideous. It's like 6 different lines, way too much info, has graphics, italics, different fonts, etc.
I try to see if he's willing to simplify it and remove some of the unnecessary info but nope, he's not hearing it, he wants it exactly like his own signature. So now I've got to figure out how to apply it to everyone but me.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Irritated Goat posted:

poo poo pissing me off:

We have folder redirection for Desktops to our file server. We have branch offices with like 10M connections out in the boonies. I'm sure you can come up with why this is an issue.

:sigh: Admin refuses to agree that redirection is just a headache and costs us space on the file server because people sync their god drat phones to it. 10GB of wedding photos on our file server? :bravo:

Never really used folder redirection so this may be a dumb question but...do file screens and quotas not work on folder redirections?

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

A new version of Win10 is out? Time to reinstall RSAT again! woo hooo!!!1

gently caress you ms

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Some of the C levels decided that our agency needs to be more "woke" so they now want to give users the option of having their chosen pronouns appear in their email signature. The IT dept. (all 2 of us) now have to drop what we're doing and figure out how to implement this using O365. To make it even better, nobody wants to pay for a 3rd party tool/service that will do what they're asking. :negative:

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Woof Blitzer posted:

Editing signatures in Outlook is trivial though.

This is true. We currently have a rule in Exchange online that applies the same signature (O365 calls it a disclaimer) for everyone in the org, users cannot modify it. The pronoun thing is voluntary, not everyone will want it applied. We're currently working out how to - with the least amount of effort - dynamically move the users that want the pronoun included into a group, and then apply this different signature to that group. The wrinkle is that different people will want different pronouns, so the HTML that makes up the signature will have to change based on that...and the users that don't want pronouns displayed can't have a blank line saying "My pronouns are:"...that would just be ugly.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Shut up Meg posted:

Suppose you skipped the 'my pronouns are:' text and just dropped them in after the name?

Not a bad idea, I'll run it past the boss. We're currently going the custom attribute route and using that to dynamically populate a hidden DL, then the HTML of the signature is just copied/pasted with the exception of the custom attribute. Testing it now.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

I wouldn't attempt to do centralised signature management without a third party tool, it's not worth the pain.

I couldn't get the OK for the $2600 or so/year it would take to get CodeTwo :iiam:

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Sheep posted:

Signatures are dumb. If I want your name I'll look at the From: section of the email. If I want your number I'll ask or you'll provide it in the context of our communication. If I want your address or any other bullshit I'll definitely ask.

At my last place signatures made life difficult because we listed every office/address in this massive block so it was impossible to search for things relevant to any individual office by just searching for "Houston" or whatever because that would match every single email in history due to signatures. So dumb.

Don't ask me why we didn't have extetnal-only signatures.

Did I mention that our signatures are applied to internal emails as well? Because they are :)

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

xzzy posted:

It's unreal how much stuff has ground to a halt because of work from home. I'm trying to stay effective but people have completely disappeared, no one's responding to emails or slack. I think work from home for them is lounging on the couch streaming netflix.

Opposite problem over here. We can't get people to leave. A limited number have been approved for WFH, but they keep on showing up. Management has also approved a larger group of people to work from home...but only 1 day per week. Management also told them that we have laptops for all of them (lol we don't). They also got all butthurt when I suggested temporarily moving some legacy file shares to Sharepoint Online so that people can access the files without having to be issued a laptop.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

MDT question while we're on the topic. I need to reimage a Dell 3379 that has no built in ethernet port so I have to use a Dell branded USB-C to ethernet adapter. I'm able to PXE boot the machine and bet the imaging started. However, during the task sequence the machine reboots into Windows (vanilla v.1909 ISO downloaded from VLSC is what is being deployed) and then no longer recognizes the USB-C to ethernet adapter, and loses contact with the server that's running MDT so the task sequence fails. Obviously, I need to get the ethernet adapter driver to come into play somehow but I'm not quite sure where, at what step, to do that.
The funny thing is, I imaged about 20 of these same machines a couple years ago and I don't remember having any problem at that time :iiam:

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Sickening posted:

I would love to know what security issues they believe that make teams a no go. :allears:

It's probably not that Teams itself is a security risk, but that it installs to what is typically considered to be an 'unsafe' location. This leads to consternation when IT teams have to create rules that allow Teams to work, while still disallowing the running of other things that users themselves have put into this same unsafe location, some of which could potentially cause harm.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

People here at work insist on referring to MS Teams as 'TEAMS'. Minor, I know, but still it still irritates me.
Also, MS Teams in general.

Mr. Clark2 fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jul 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

End users emailing me to ask me if they should delete an obvious phish email. Just delete it! No need to ask permission, geez.