Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Dunno-Lars posted:

How important is it really? As long as it's the same colour on both sides, and it's not one of those fancy crossed cables, it should be fine, right? Maybe not 10GB fine, but office-use fine?

The orange and green have higher twist rates. it is also expecting to get pairs on pins 1,2 and 3,6. you might struggle to get 100MB without doing at least that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004
Newsid?

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

sfwarlock posted:

- The only difference between laptop power bricks is the form factor. If "they" would just standardize the power port, all power adapters would work on all laptops.

Introduce him to USB C

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Punkbob posted:

I don’t know how I’m the rear end in a top hat(besides starting this whole thing, it sucks to get fired sorry goon). I legit worked at the DoD, I was around when this started to come down (I worked at WHS, which got rolled into OSD-CIO so we were hit with it first) and I even went and pulled up the relevant regulations to post them here. The CE stuff was ignored for awhile, but it looks like they got a bug up their rear end recently to rectify. Dude can get one waiver for 6 months. Now if he had a PM that likes him they could try and pull some bullshit, but they didn’t and had existing cause to fire him.

That sucks but it’s not just getting hit by a bus outta nowhere.

Even if everything you wrote is true and correct. It would be his enployers job to have told him that he needed to get it sorted with a deadline. What has been mentioned so far says his employer thougut they were cool. He got boned on someone elses play, thats gotta suck.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Shut up Meg posted:

Unfortunately, it doesn't help me as our Desktop team will flat refuse to install any app that isn't on their approved list. And it appears that their requests to add to this list are flat ignored.
I can't make a request for an app to be authorised as I have no information on who to ask.
Any inquiries are bounced with the instructions that the Desktop team handle these things and I should talk to them.
It's a shadowy cabel, as far as I am concerned.

Is this sort of thing not solved by working up your management chain speaking to the equivalent level in the desktops management chain until you reach the same person. If it is needed to meet a legitimate outcome, then escalate until you get an answer on how to make this happen.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

I broke the internet Monday and Tuesday and exchange today

Staying home tomorrow

That is exchange patch is mean and their known issues are a loving lie.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Internet Explorer posted:

I don't necessarily disagree with your sentiment, but I mean... unions exist, don't they? How did they do it?

There was a lot of violence over many decades.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Lum posted:

... and we're having arguments about whether or not I can patch it because "you don't patch a SAN" vs "It's running loving Windows!".

I am not sure I agree with the ‘you don’t patch a SAN’ contention. I have certainly applied software and firmware updates to every SAN I have ever run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Potato Salad posted:

what are people using these days, and by "people" I mean silos that absolutely positively literally cannot go to the cloud

Service desk plus. It works