Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

I get paid probably half of what I should get paid and I am pretty sure they are taking advantage of me. The whole situation is hosed and the only reason I am still here is that it is my first IT job and its something to put on a resume :( Oh and I doubt I am getting paid legally. Welp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

I pretty much run all of the IT infrastructure for a small company with like 8 employees. In reality that means I essentially do on site tech support and I make sure the network (a router with a few switches) and the windows server that every one remotes into are running and operational. I also handle backups from the server. Its really easy and mindless. Nothing really goes wrong on a day to day basis except the users being dumb and quickbooks being lovely.

However I get paid poo poo (its so bad I am embarrassed to say :( ) and I get paid with checks straight from the company bank account. I don't get a pay stub or benefits or anything. Literally the only reason I am here is because I can take off whenever for classes and I needed experience to make finding a future job easier. I am in school, I have my A+ cert and I am currently taking a cisco CCNA course. I could easily get a security+ cert based on my current knowledge. It is pretty obvious that they are taking advantage of me.

Luckily I have been using my free time to learn as much as I can about linux administration and various types of virtualization. Hoping to get a better job when I get my CCNA but I feel like I have more then enough knowledge for a basic junior sysadmin job so I may just start searching.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Every time the internet cuts out or gets slow, apparently its the servers fault! Its like they don't understand that our LAN and the internet have nothing to do with each other :(

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

My workplace has all their email with some mediocre hosting service (1&1) and I can only imagine the day when everything shits out and they ask me to fix it. This is the kind of stuff that happens when business people make IT decisions. Oh well at least I don't have to manage anything.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

gently caress scanners. I don't understand why this canon dr-2580c isn't showing up in the list of scanners in adobe. It is recognized as a scanner under devices. loving canon. I just plugged it into an identical machine with the same drivers (we move the scanner a lot) and it works fine. Did the usual uninstall drivers and software, etc too.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

but usually the antivirus itself would do that. how can all three coexist?

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

It can be amusing watching them fight over who gets to be the search provider or home page. It almost makes me want to get a computer, DMZ it, and surf the skankiest websites around. Then watch what happens, sort of like your own ant farm.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

gently caress all of these support departments for various companies. How hard is it to call at 5 when we set up the meeting? Sitting here doing jack poo poo and its after hours too.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Installing a program where all the installation files are on a network share on a different site and its going over a VPN. Also both connections have a 15mbit uplink because they are using a regular old business internet plan. Who knows if stuff is even working, at least I see activity with the disks and network.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

People who don't listen are the worst. We told a client to get a static IP at their house to set up a VPN so she can RDP into her computer at work. My boss told the person, I told the person, but no static IP when I stopped by today :(

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Fuckin PBX in a Flash. Its based on asterisks and is great, especially for being free. However it has some weird issues and good luck searching the internet on how to fix it. Stuff like this is why I can see why corporations go with the paid stuff with SLAs. However, can't beat free, especially for our smaller clients.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Erwin posted:

It pisses me off even more when 3rd parties use winzip to zip up data they send to us on hard drives in such a way that I can't unzip it without winzip. Guys...use anything but winzip, please! :negative:

I thought a zip file was a zip file. What is winzip doing differently now?

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

nThing the appeal the unemployment thing but simply because gently caress them. they sound awful and you should make them miserable because its always fun.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

the controller is just for initial setup once everything is working you don't even need that computer to be on or even there

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Karanth posted:

Thanks. I know what my next home networking purchase is going to be now.

They are really amazing and are rock solid. I would suggest installing the controller on your main computer but once you get it set up you will almost never have to touch it. You can also ssh into them as well.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Spent forever trying to figure out why the processor, bus, and ram frequencies were not sitting stable on a server with every power saving feature turned off and it turns out that it is a problem hyper-V and is not really an issue :( I thought there was a flaw with the motherboard so I updated the bios by mounting a msdos 7.1 iso over IPMI and running afudos or whatever. It was nerve wracking and it worked perfectly but didn't fix t he issue. I wish I had known it was a hyper-V thing before spending so much time on it.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

got a 5 minute commute each way. cant imagine more then an hour, thats so much time wasted from my life driving that could be spent enjoying life.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Ursine Asylum posted:

I’d vote for linode, but regardless, it’s all about the cloud. Maintaining a home server for remote access is for suckers, even before you factor in the electricity costs and how unreliable residential ISPs are about downtime and static IPs.

i dunno the cost to get a vps thats equal to my newish xeon e3 server with 32gb of ram would be way more per month then electricity and the internet here is pretty stable. Depends on where one lives I guess.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Super Slash posted:

Firstly; too late, Secondly who the gently caress decides to run pay roll 10 minutes before home time?

Its because most office drones literally do not do anything for 6 of the 8 hours they work.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Maybe the guy is just better?

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Ignore requests from everyone

Except these people and this group and this other guy and wait this person needs it done now and you aren't busy right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

the real reason to go with o365 to me is the spam filtering and stuff. its just worth it not to have to worry about it or deal with a third party spam blocking service. also it supports easy encryption for the users which is pretty nice.