Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

FISHMANPET posted:

My boss said we would go in January and then a few times a month I'd ask him about and he'd say "maybe" and then finally he said "welp all the hotels are sold out I guess we're not going." It's like, why the gently caress do you think I kept asking you about it?

I had someone from another team ask about registration a few weeks ago. They sold out over a month ago, no chance. I asked MS for pass but by the time we found one the travel hotels was too expensive. These things sell out too quick, you have to jump on it the first month it opens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

tomapot posted:

Not pissing me off: I'm in Chicago for the Microsoft Ignite conference, currently at a Cubs game with a bunch of SharePoint geeks.
Any other goons here this week?

Made it through the week with a mixed review. Not pissing me off, great networking with Microsoft, vendors and other MS customers. Pissing me off, really bad conference food and walking 8 miles a day inside the conference center and taking the L back and forth to my hotel.

Now for the swag, I grabbed a bunch of stickers and a few buttons from Solarwinds. PM me if you want one and I'll drop it in the mail to you.

IT humor:

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler
Finance guy: not only did you lay a meeting on my calendar that I had blocked but it was marked Out Of Office. Do you really think I was just holding it for your special meeting? Nope, Decline!

Also anyone on the west coast who is not apologetic about scheduling a late meeting for us east coast people. I'm flexible depending on the importance and my schedule allows but don't expect my to be available at 7pm

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

Then AA meetings when getting drunk no longer works.

Edit for content: There is so much upheaval going on right now at my company. I know my VP is planning a re-org so I've had to lobby for a good position and that promotion that I was promised. The CIO is now reporting into a Strategy and Innovation person instead of the CFO but who knows what that will mean. Bad time for me to be over schedule on our migration / upgrade project but a couple of our clients are begging for more time to get through their testing.

tomapot fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jul 7, 2015

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

NJT Bus is the absolute worst way to get anywhere.

And you are about to get a rate hike on top of it.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

MJP posted:

Doubling the insult: NJ Transit's departure area.

I refuse to take the NJT buses ever again. I did it for one month at a former NYC job and tried it one or two times from Union for another NYC job.

Never again. I'm spoiled by Decamp from the first NYC job. Good GOD, wide-open spaces, highly specific routes to gates, etc. The only good Port Authority departure area.

I used to take the 192 from Clifton to PABT, would take an hour door to door to my office on the upper west side. Over time it got worse and ran 1.5 on average. Forget it if it rained. That part of the PABT you'd get lines snaking down the stairs, bunching together hundreds of people long. Thanks god I telecommute full time now.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler
Not pissing me off: 50+ responses to an accidental email DL Reply All thread. Some are pretty funny:
"I am really enjoying this - please leave me on."

"It's like the day of the trifiDLs! Help!!"

And my favorite, someone jumped in with "while we have your attention, we'd love if everyone tweeted out (new show)!!!!!"

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

Bob Morales posted:

Owner has been getting mad because people bring a treat in on their birthdays. Cupcakes, cookies, whatever.

So I started bringing in a dozen donuts and anonymously leaving them in the break room early in the morning.

At least they are not using "Have a Magical Day!"

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

spog posted:

Alcoholism or working in IT?

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Alcoholism. And I've been sober for fourteen years now so I'm good. IT drove me to it.

Yeah, there's quite a few of us IT guys in this thread. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3375646

Edit: To contribute to things pissing me off. My VP has been dancing around this idea of a re-org for at least a year. My director left 6 months ago leaving a great opening to make some changes but he is so deliberate or overcautious or whatever to pull the trigger on this thing until it is just right. Meanwhile me and my manager have been picking up all this slack from our missing director and getting burnt the hell out.

tomapot fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Sep 4, 2015

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

Bob Morales posted:

LETS TALK ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE MICROSOFT ACCESS

We have users asking us to turn on Access Web Apps on our SharePoint farm so they web enable their database. :psyduck:

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler
I'm at s MS event called "Cloud Roadshow" with the tag "Skill-up for the cloud."
Makes me wish I had a cloud-to-butt filter for my glasses.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

myron cope posted:

poo poo pissing me off: I work for a natural gas company. There is apparently some kind of breakdown in union negotiations so they've come up with the great plan to have other people from the company train to do emergency work, if it ends up being needed. I had a safety meeting this morning and then had fire school where I got to extinguish a giant natural gas fire (which was kinda cool actually).

Instead of being at work. My director chose me to go, along with someone else I work with and himself. Neither of those guys is here.

I got to learn how to operate a camera and went to the 2012 presidential debates in Denver as part of an emergency standby crew. I'm generally pro-union but it was a cool thing to do, not as cool as putting out a giant natural gas fire though.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler
Not pissing me off: I took a vacation day yesterday to go to the Star Wars Marathon (all 7 movies in a row in the theater). Today is my last day before a two week vacation / holiday break and most of my co-workers are out to day to go see Star Wars as a team building activity. Just a nice and quiet way to finish off the year.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

Tigntink posted:

Isn't uhhh Kofax the standard for distributed scanning? I know they do alot of AP automation because we were looking at it for our idiot AP department for a while.

Yes, Kofax and we also use Intelligent Data Capture or Brainware and they were bought out by Lexmark.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

My consulting job was awful for this sort of stuff. It was a basement office, and we had a subbasement 20x10 storage room. It was just full of all sorts of garbage PC parts.
Consulting back in the late 90s I was at one of the big advertising firms in NYC. They had one of those rooms in the basement but the new CIO came in. He told me, "I switch jobs every 4 years or so and every place I move to has a room like this." as he had a bunch of guys throwing 90% of it out.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Give them training on SMART goals.

Trigger warning that poo poo. We have SMART goals for our yearly commitments and for the Time based part we all just put in "By the end of the fiscal year I will..." since most of our work is driven by customer projects or pushed down from management which blows up any plans we've made for the year.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

stevewm posted:

In case someone isn't watching the "a ticket came in.." thread...

Microsoft's public SNTP server, time.windows.com (used by default starting with Windows XP) started pushing out completely borked responses this morning and several hours later is still doing so. It has been pushing out random offsets and the leap second indicator is stuck on, causing computers using it as a source to be anywhere from minutes to an hour off.

https://www.reddit.com/r/sysadmin/comments/635tgo/psa_timewindowscom_ntp_server_seems_to_be_sending/

I was wondering why I ate lunch early today, the clock on my home PC was off.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

nominal posted:

Drinking with a tradesman is never a mistake. They know how to get down, and also have cool stories.

poo poo pissing me off: coworker that sucks at triage and spends 90 minutes spinning his wheels on poo poo we're not even responsible for before FINALLY, after driving himself to the point of near-incoherence with frustration, escalates to the department that probably should have been handling that sort of poo poo in the first place. Meanwhile: customer is getting pissed, customer's customers are getting pissed, the rest of us are picking up his slack, and the other customers on hold are probably also getting pissed and have THEIR customers getting pissed. All because one rear end in a top hat is on a one-man crusade to not escalate or hand off, ever, for some reason. The best part is that we're in a glass-walled room, you can literally see the people that'd he should be passing the ticket to having a drone race or some bullshit.

When you call him on it (as we did about 10 minutes into this call, we very clearly do not support the device in question), he doubles-down. Because now there's a BROKEN SYSTEM, and it's our job to HELP THESE CUSTOMERS NO MATTER WHAT (and not anyone else's, ever, somehow?), and he's the ragtag misfit that JUST MIGHT FIX IT and SHOW THOSE BASTARDS (that won't let him spend 2 hours fixing poo poo that isn't ours) JUST WHAT FER.

He's a nice guy when he's not crusading, but holy gently caress he's killing me.

I had to give my team one of those talks recently; don't try to be a hero or go it alone. We have a 8 person contractor support team, two FTEs team members, a few contractor developers, and a Microsoft Premier Support contract which costs us a boat-load of money each year. If you can't find the answer in the first go round of our KB or by googling, start asking the rest of the team and if no one else knows open a MS case. It is their product let them help figure it out.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler
Full time work-from-home guy here. I had the same problem with my wife, especially around our daughter's homework. Some days I'm glued to the phone and can't check up on her. Or when we were getting work done on the house and I wasn't standing over the contractor's shoulder keeping an eye on things.

I also travel about a week every other month. It's a trade off for working-from-home, which I have to remind her on occasion.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

Bob Morales posted:

FOR MORE INFORMATION VISIT THE COMEDY WEBSITE SOMETHINGAWFUL.COM (C) 2016

I like the fact that have last year in the (C), because everyone forgets to update that thing or the content is so old.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

Dick Trauma posted:

The personal networks people at this level have are amazing. They extend to their children as well, which is how they maintain their hold on most of the wealth in our country. There's nothing more important to them than maintaining separation between their kind and the rest of us, even if it means supporting fuckups and criminals.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I fired my therapist. She wasn't doing anything. At my last visit I sat down and said "I don't know what I'm supposed to be talking about" and she remained silent. Just watched me. It made me really uncomfortable. I managed to come up with something to fill the dead air but I'd had enough.

If I'm going to spend my time doing this I need the therapist to do more than just sit there. I would like there to be some sort of structure, a way for the therapist's expertise to be felt. I'm not interested in taking 45 minutes out of my work day to talk. I've done too much talking about my problems. Now I want to do something.

The next day I sent her an email saying that I was going to explore other options for therapy and would not be returning. A few hours later she sent me an email that all my claims had been rejected by my health plan and that she was going to bill me. She added a threat that if I didn't pay in full within 10 days she would send the debt to collection.

I called my health plan and not only was I pre-approved for my visits but there was no record of any claim, and no record of anyone calling about me. When I emailed this back to the therapist she was evasive and then asked if I would ever return for more visits.

I think she needs therapy.

The second question to ask a therapist after "do you take my insurance?" is "do you have a therapist?" Every therapist should have a therapeutic supervisor or some other support. There's no way they sit and listed to other people's crazy day in and say out without getting affected. Sort of like in 12 step fellowships, you want to make sure your sponsor has a sponsor and is not just going it alone.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

Agrikk posted:

I'm on vacation, gently caress you if you think I'm taking a work call. If there was a predefined understanding that the employee was on call or pageable while on PTO then the employee is a dumbass.

I'm pissed for that guy.

A little late responding to this one but I wonder if he carried a printer all the way back into the office as well.

Seriously though, a good manager would have run interference for the guy. A few years ago one of our sites had an outage and before our CIO got the full story (our side) she wanted me written up for it. My director refused and told our VP that he would take the heat if needed. My VP ran interference as well, another stand up guy I'm really happy to work for. Our side of the story was that we handed off the change info and the local IT team did not take it to the change board. Oh, and the site decided to not invest in a DR plan because they were trying to save money so we had nothing to fail over to while we were troubleshooting the issue.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler
I understand you need to order lunch for your conference call but perhaps the bags of chips were the a bad idea.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Real talk, do people just not know how mute/push to talk buttons work? Unmute yourself when you're talking, it's not like you're playing an intense team RTS game where you need to hotmic every keyboard clack.

You'd think. Two of us were remote and the other four people were eating in a conference room. So while someone was talking in that room someone else was pulling their food out of a bag or chomping away. Then they asked us to take notes. I'm tempted to put the sound effects in there when I couldn't here what they were saying.
"Jim suggested that <crunch crunch> take the action item of <crumple>. "

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

Zil posted:

There are also organizations that are starting to do online sessions as well, may want to look into those.

There’s a CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy) program called SMART Recovery. Supposed to be an alternative to 12 Step programs for people who have addictions. You know, like being addicted to lovely IT jobs that give you heart palpitations.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler
Sort of pissing me off: my boss saying that we are probably going to get more “hair on fire” requests through the end of the year due to compliance and/or reorgs and/or acquisitions. I wanted to be a fireman when I was a kid but this is not what I had in mind.

Not pissing me off: her telling us to take sick days if we fell like we are going to lose it from the pressure and need a day to recharge.

Also not pissing me off but amusing me: this graphic from some O365 email I got. First glance looks like the guy is hanging himself from the cloud.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

Volguus posted:

I wonder, what got into the news websites to automatically play a video on their article page? Did they make studies that showed that people want video instead of text? In what universe would that be even true? I go to a website I want to read the article. The last thing in my mind is the desire to watch a lovely video.
But, since everyone is doing it, it must work somehow. Do they show adds in those videos? Anyone of you work for these monsters that can shed a light on the logic behind this idiotic idea?

This is a pet peeve of mine, if I wanted to watch video I'd go to a the Videos page, I can read for myself. Worse is when I going to the website to read about the latest school shooting or natural disaster or whatever and they play a commercial with happy music for a car dealer or some poo poo. The least they could do is match the commercial with the news topic, like anti-depressant pharmaceuticals when it is bad news.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

Bob Morales posted:

It's even worse when they email the guy back telling him I'm the one to contact. Same with phone calls. Lemme transfer you to Bob!

Stop sending me spam! The same loving guy calls me too.

If I do get trapped into talking to a vendor and they ask me who does x at my company I tell them it is my personal policy to not name names.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

Bob Morales posted:

Virtue signaling at work

That and keeping the other locations up to date on your dumb activities. We all went for a fifteen minute walk! Yay health! Look at this group picture of these sweaty motherfuckers

You forget Yammer is good for “Working Out Loud” one team bragged how they had no internal e-mail anymore.

As a remote worker (long before Covid) the one thing I liked about Yammer was being able to connect with people across the geographic locations on different topics that used to be water cooler conversations on top of the regular business communities.

Now that we’re spread out across Yammer, Teams, and Slack it’s a jumbled up mess.