Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

TWBalls posted:

:words:
then we'll be buying some new Fujitsu 6130's. Hopefully they're as good as the old 4120's were.

I'll chime in and say they are. We have had several for over a year now, no problems thus far. No problems with the scanner locking up or anything. The 6130 still uses CCFL light sources and they do get a little warm when on. No way it could melt anything though...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stevewm
May 10, 2005

rscott posted:

First time I've ever heard of 1&1 described as anything but criminally awful.

Same here!

I cringe whenever I see that name... My company originally had their website/DNS/email hosted there. We kept having problems with our email being blocked as spam by others, and their spam filtering blocking mail from our own domain (!!). In an attempt to help solve the problem I went to go setup SPF/DKIM records only to find out they did not support that. In fact the only thing you could add to your own DNS entries was A records. They supported nothing else. Their tech support said they did not support SPF/DKIM and likely never would because it simply was not being used enough. This was in 2010-2011.

Management finally let me move away from 1&1. So I ended up moving our email over to a grandfathered free Google Apps account that had a 200 user limit :) Website went to BlueHost, and registrar/DNS went elsewhere.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
About 200ish users... I was absolutely ecstatic the day we migrated to Google Apps. The month after migrating we made a big push to get almost everyone off local email clients and to the web interface. Nearly all preferred the web interface once we got them to use it. As it stands only 2 special snowflakes still use Outlook. Google Apps provides a 30GB per user storage limit (shared across all Google Apps services). We don't bug users until they get within a few % of that limit.

Our business is not subject to any legal retention requirements, which makes things so much easier.

We make fairly heavy use of Google's ecosystem. Some users have even moved towards using Google Docs over their local office installations.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Humphreys posted:

4G Data costs in Australia. gently caress Telstra. $50 for 3GB. Yes, three GB.

In the US, Verizon Wireless (the largest carrier by far), currently charges $60 for 2GB on its "Share Everything" plan. All other devices on your account share this 2GB. Overages are $15 per GB.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Farking Bastage posted:

Trying to explain to comcast business support that they have a routing problem is like pulling teeth.

Try having problems with their business phone service.. If you happen to have a phone system hooked up to their phone modem (as many small businesses would) their support will stonewall you... The problem ss ALWAYS your phone system's fault and never a problem on their end.

Severe feedback and/or echo on all lines? Its your phone system...
Inbound callers dialing your number are being routed to some completely different business in town? Its your phone system...
Inbound callers getting fast busy signal? Its your phone system...

The problem was intermittent, and of course would never happen when I had them on the phone.

It eventually took me directly contacting the regional supervisor and bypassing tech support entirely to get it fixed. Real problem? Severely damaged piece of cable a mile or so down the road. Repair tech was surprised we even had a signal at all. It took them 2 weeks to find it.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome posted:

Arguing for going from paying approximately $500 yearly for web hosted email to ~$14200 yearly gets me absolutely nowhere.

I am going to be facing a similar situation shortly...

My company is currently on a grandfathered free Google Apps account that allows up to 100 users. We currently sit at 91 users. Building a new branch location to open in a few months and that will easily put us over the 100 user limit.

So I have to convince the extremely cheap basta... err.. "frugal" owner to go from paying nothing per year, to over $5,000 per year. The CFO and others are on my side, but its still going to be a tough sell.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
I'm just glad we don't use Outlook anymore. In fact no one uses a local mail client anymore. Web interface all the way. No more dicking with PSTs.

For more evidence of the owners cheapness, we have exactly 3 installations of Microsoft Office, and only because we have a small app that needs Access and Excel macros. All others use LibreOffice (set to save in MS Office formats of course) But in all honesty, it works perfectly fine. We don't go beyond basic word processing and simple spreadsheets which LibreOffice handles fine.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
People that email and then immediately call and ask if you got the email while at the same time telling you the entire contents of the email. Why bother?

My boss does this constantly... Multiple times per day. If he leaves me a voice mail on either my cell or the office phone he will send a email telling me he left a voice mail, and what the contents of said voicemail where. And for good measure sometimes a text will be sent too.

On a few occasions he has sent a email, and then sent a very long text broken up into 5 or more parts telling me he sent a email, and also containing the contents of the email.

And while I am ranting... my OTHER boss (the owner/CEO) keeps his personal task lists for people in word documents. If he has a task for you to complete, he will type it into your personalized word document and email it to you. When the task is completed, he expects you to open the word document, note that you completed the task, and email the word document back to him. He then takes and saves this copy over his existing copy. Some of our less computer literate employees constantly have problems with this; they can never find the document on the computer after they have saved it. My cries to use shared Google documents, or any other system are always brushed aside.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

anthonypants posted:

... The lead sysadmin's response is that "it's e-mail, not instant messaging."....

I see nothing wrong with this response either.... I have far too many users who will send a email with 100MB of pictures attached and wonder why so and so didn't receive it immediately after they clicked send.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Local fiber ISP that is notorious for never admitting there are problems on their end, even when its totally clear that is the case.

Been having a issue with them all day; connection keeps dropping every few minutes. Trace route shows a loop a few hops up in their network during these periods. One of the techs I talked to slipped up and mentioned all of their static IP customers where having the same issue. But yet every subsequent call back has been met with ignorance, even after giving them the ticket number. They will claim nothing is wrong on their end, we need to reboot our router, change DNS settings (wtf?), etc... Every call has taken a minute or so of arguing before they finally give me a drat status update.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Inspector_666 posted:

I got to setup an AT&T one of them in the basement of a house once. Of course, if the unit can't get a GPS fix, it won't fully turn on (E911 purposes, apparently). However, apparently it only needs an initial GPS fix and unless the power is turned off, will retain that location and work just fine no matter where it actually ends up.

The solution was to setup a UPS in the kitchen, wait until the cell unit was fully on and then unplug the UPS and run downstairs and plug it back in.

Verizon Wireless's Network Extender has the same requirement, except it has to KEEP the GPS fix. If it looses the GPS fix for more than a few seconds it will shut off the cellular part.

From what I understand the GPS fix requirement is not only for E911 purposes but also for region locking; making sure its only used where they want you to use it. Without the GPS requirement it could very well be taken out of the country and be used to bypass the carrier's international roaming rates.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Yaos posted:

What is it with web developers? Why do they insist on pulling this poo poo? It's web based, it should work in any browser. Even Netflix uses Silverlight but at least they are switching to HTML5.

The company I work for runs several stores that are Sthil outdoor power equipment dealers (chainsaws, trimmers, etc..). You should see the Sthil dealer websites.

There are several websites, one for invoicing, parts, service, etc... All of which proudly proclaim "Works best with IE 5.5 and above" at the bottom. IE 7 and 8 require compatibility mode to be enabled to somewhat work. IE 9,10, and 11 have problems no matter what. All other browsers are completely out of the question as most of the website will not function outside of IE.

The invoicing website actually works in most browsers, right up until you get to the part to download and view a PDF copy. The download links for these files are somehow engineered to work with ONLY IE. Their server does not send a MIME type nor does it supply a file extension, so all non-IE browsers see it as a HTML webpage and load it as such. Somehow it works properly with IE though; it pops up the save/download box with the correct file type and name. To make things worse the links are javascript, so you can't just right click and Save As. :argh:

stevewm
May 10, 2005
poo poo that doesn't piss me off...

We use LibreOffice here. Noticed this little blip in the LibreOffice 4.2 release notes: "Windows Registry as a configuration backend. Under Windows, LibreOffice uses keys under HKLM/Policies/LibreOffice as a configuration layer on the top of program's layer and below user's layer.With this feature it becomes possible to centrally manage LibreOffice configuration with Group Policy Objects in a Windows domain. It is possible to set and optionally lock many LibreOffice settings."

Finally! Now if only Mozilla would do the same with Firefox...

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Helushune posted:

Google finally did it with Chrome for Business and they released ADM/ADMX files to manipulate it through GPO. You can also push out extensions via GPO. I've been moving everyone over to Chrome simply because they beat Mozilla to the punch.

How the hell did I not see this?!

I really wish web developers and browsers as a whole would just agree on something... Ugh..

We have a handful of computers that need access to websites that in 2013 still only work in IE (and badly on new IE versions). However we also have to roll out a non-IE browser. Why? Because our main buying co-op uses a backend website built entirely on Microsoft Sharepoint that performs considerably better (when it isn't crashing with random database errors) with Firefox or a Webkit based browser!

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Pissing me off today... the cheap rear end boss/owner/CEO...

New location going up, will be open in 2 months.

We already have our phone lines setup (6) and ordered with Frontier, just waiting to give them the go ahead to install. Its going to be a grand total of $184 per month with taxes and fees...

Boss decides the location needs one voice and the fax line active before they open. He only wants those 2 active to save some money... Frontier says no problem, just those 2 will be a little over $50.. Except they do have a problem, no one at Frontier can seem to figure out how to achieve this without making it into separate orders and loosing our number assignments. They have been working on this almost a week now with no resolution. In less than 2 months we will be turning them all on anyways...

All of this to save $125...

Boss is pissed at me because it isn't done yet. This is a company that has done over 40 million in sales this year with a few million of that profit; best year the company has ever had. (hence the new location!)

stevewm
May 10, 2005
I have had enough of loving printers....

We have 50 printers spread across 8 different branch locations. All various makes and models. Spent just over $30k last year on toners/drums alone, and a few more $k in replacement and repair of said pieces of poo poo.

Time to look into printer leasing or "managed print services".

Anyone have any experience with such services? Any recommendations? All of our locations are in the area between Indianapolis, IN and Cincinnati, OH if anyone here knows any "locals".

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Oddhair posted:

I get that network security is important, but I can't for the life of me figure out why "Unidentified Network" isn't just a checkbox you can clear. I'm trying to get connected to an AudioCodes Mediant 1000 we picked up off ebay, and my machine gets arp -a responses from my VM test bed that's on the same isolated switch, even though they're HyperV multicast addresses and I'm working in 10.1.0.0/16.

Isn't there any way to goose Windows into accepting that I'm aware of the network and its odd features like a lack of DHCP or even a gateway? The only troubleshooting step it offers me is to enable DHCP, and of course there's not a DHCP server for it to contact.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/71408-unidentified-networks-set-private-public.html

Scroll down to option one.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Wow....

Trying to price out some new business desktop machines. I really like Lenovo's "tiny" (m72 Tiny/m73 Tiny) series ultra SFF machines so I went directly to Lenovo SMB sales to see what kind of deals they could do. Never had dealt with them directly up until now. The prices they came back with are on average $60 higher than most retail websites, for the exact same models, with no other perks such as longer warranty, etc..

I wish Dell had something more like it...

stevewm
May 10, 2005

FISHMANPET posted:

The Dell Optiplex 9020 has an USFF option :confused:

I'll be damned... didn't catch that.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Caged posted:

Print screen, clone tool out the media player UI, throw into VB and code some random poo poo over the top of it.

What is it with people thinking "hey a skin is appropriate for this"

This can be said for just about any software produced by various small Chinese manufacturers.. The low end security camera DVR market is full of examples.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Frontier Communications....

I had a simple request.. Ordered 6 phone lines + DSL for a branch location on a promotional rate at $184 per month. I sign and fax over a paper showing these details and also accepting the order. Receive confirmation and the numbers we have been assigned.

Lines are installed. Unfortunately I was not physically at the location due to the distance, however I was assured all was well. Due to various delays it would be a few weeks before our phone system was installed and hooked up to said lines.

Received the bill today; discovered only 4 lines where actually installed, and we where charged almost triple the rate I signed up for. Frontier has no record of the 2 missing lines. I give this information to the account rep whom originally setup the order. Even he can't figure it out. We open that location in about 5 weeks. I honestly wonder if they will manage to get it fixed in time.

Every single interaction I have had with this company has been a Kafkaesque nightmare.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
What pisses me off right now? Multiple things.

Firstly, Feb 28th was in a car accident where someone failed to yield on a non-protected left turn and turned right in front of me as I was going through the intersection at speed. The result was a double-compound fracture of both my tibula and fibula. Had to be air-cared to University of Cincinnati hospital.

Secondly, I am now sitting in a rehab/nursing home place that uses Meraki APs and its content filtering features. Pretty much every website of entertaining value is blocked. Youtube, Netflix, many tech sites, Facebook, many blogs I visit daily, etc... Oddly enough SA works.

Thirdly, insurance company immediately started dicking me around, trying to weasel out of things. Saying there was a question of if I actually had green lights despite police report and several signed witness statements saying otherwise. Low-balled me on my car, etc...

What isn't pissing me off? Hired lawyer, insurance company immediately changed tune :D Have now been offered above dealer retail value for my car and they are caving to pretty much every demand from my lawyer.

stevewm fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Mar 12, 2014

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Che Delilas posted:

You should get some kind of award for being the first goon in this thread to hire a lawyer for something. *cough*

What pisses me off even more is that the person at fault has the same insurance company as me.. So I am dealing with just a single company, not 2. I don't care if the lawyer does get a cut, the fuckers are going to pay. You pay for insurance for them to cover your back when poo poo like this happens. It just pisses me off you have to hire a lawyer for more money just to get your insurance company to do what you paid them to do in the first place.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Wiggly posted:

Close (except for the power supply): http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/desktops/thinkcentre/m-series-tiny/m73/

We just bought a bunch of these to replace the last of our XP machines. The SSD makes deploying them so much faster and the users love them.

We just opened a branch location using these. I bought the VESA mounting bracket (http://www.provantage.com/lenovo-0b47374~7LEN93E3.htm) and mounted them to the back of the monitors.

I love them, users love them. They are fast, silent, and out of the way. They do use a external power brick, but its no bigger than your average laptop brick, I just hid it under the desk.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
The Sonicwall's at all of our 9 branch locations + our main office decided today that port 9100 printer traffic going over our VPNs where attempts at the infamous Heartbleed exploit. They would randomly block some packets going to each printer.

The half completed print jobs caused printers all around the company to start spewing out pages and pages of random garbage until they ran out of paper.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Pissing me off everyday: Our corp. office is stuck on a 5/1 ADSL line with no alternatives available. 12 people using it, with 5 of those trying to actively upload data to various locations. Upload stays pegged most of the day. All of our infrastructure is spread out over multiple branch locations, so this makes remote management "fun".

The only ISP in town (same one providing our ADSL) does provide FTTP, but not down our particular street. Despite the fiber line being only about 800 feet away, they want several thousand dollars to connect us, and $600+ per month for service because its a "special build-out".

stevewm
May 10, 2005

death .cab for qt posted:

CenturyLink is complete loving garbage

Every time we have a client's network go down, and they use CenturyLink, the ticket ends up like:

• Restart modem
  • Issue still happening
  • Call CenturyLink
  • "oh no we checked our side of the problem sir and the problem is definitely on your end, try resetting the modem again"
  • Restart modem, no change
  • "try rebooting it again"
  • Do absolutely nothing, tell them you reset the modem
  • "aha, that last reset must have fixed things because we see everything entirely up and running for you again."

I swear to god they just give me the runaround on resetting anything that looks vaguely like a modem/router until they fix whatever gently caress-up is on their end

I work for a chain of retail stores spread out over a good portion of the state, as such I deal with multiple ISPs large and small. Every single one operates their tech support in this manner. It is ALWAYS a problem on your end, never theirs. Frontier is particularly bad about this. A few of our locations have Frontier DSL as their backup and some even as their primary connection. When it goes down, typically every location in the same area on Frontier looses service at the same time, indicating a major problem on Frontier's end. Tell their tech support this however and they just ignore it. Some even refuse to go any further unless you hook up the modem directly to a computer bypassing your router, or reboot your computer, etc.. Statewide outage? Reboot your computer, that will fix it!

One of the local fiber ISPs; if you call and tell them ALL of your services are out (Phone, internet, etc..) will STILL have you reset your computer and then reset winsock, flush DNS cache, etc.. Its like they have a script that every agent is required to follow no matter the circumstance. I imagine if was to call and say the ONT was on fire, they would still want me to reboot the router and/or computer.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Dell contractors...

Had a Optiplex at one of our locations that would randomly hard lock and then fail to power back on without lots of loving around or resetting the CMOS. Dell ProSupport immediately said it was a bad motherboard as they have seen the very same thing a few times with that particular model. Tech was dispatched to replace motherboard.

The next day, contracted tech arrives with motherboard in-hand. Instead of replacing the motherboard as they where dispatched to do, the guy changes a setting in the BIOS, reboots it twice, and then leaves. Tech told a store employee that replacing the motherboard wasn't necessary. He was there maybe 5 minutes. Machine locks up just minutes after he walks out the door.

Ugh...

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Oddhair posted:

.... Office 2013, with an emphasis on Outlook... then freezing once it finished loading.

I had this same issue with every single drat machine I updated with Office 2013 and Outlook. Outlook would insta-freeze the second it tried to load the PST file. It could not even be killed from task manager. Had to hard reboot the machine. Sometimes it would load and then randomly freeze when a user clicked on a folder, or email, etc..

I eventually noticed that when this occurred, once of the svchost.exe instances would be consuming a lot of CPU. With the help of Process Explorer I figured out the culprit was the Windows Search service. Once I stopped and disabled this service, Outlook stopped freezing and performance was all around improved.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
My boss...

He will send out a email, and then immediately call the person he sent the email to asking if they got it and proceed to tell them exactly what he had put in the email. Even does it with replies. Sometimes he makes the call before the email has even finished sending!

stevewm
May 10, 2005

President Ark posted:

wrt windows 8 and needing a microsoft account: You can get around that - any time you're going through the Windows 8 setup menu, disconnect the computer from the internet. If it can't see the internet, then the only accounts it'll try and work with are local ones.

This doesn't excuse the problem, mind you. It's still stupid as hell.

Actually you don't even need to do that..

During setup, it will ask if you have a MS account, click the option to Create A New MS Account.

When it gets to the account creation screen there will be a link at the bottom that says "Continue Without a Microsoft Account". When you click that it will allow you to create a local account to use.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Webbeh posted:

Because it looks good? I can never understand why IT folks dread the idea of dressing up. Style isn't a bad thing, guys. :sigh:

It depends on what industry you are in.

While I do usually work in a office, at any time I could be called out to one of our stores or warehouses where I inevitably end up crawling around on a dirty floor, going up/down grungy ladders, etc.. I stopped wearing nice dress clothes a long time ago because I just ended up ruining most of them.

These days its just a polo/henley shirt and khakis.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

"Oh hey the OptiPlex 3020 Micro and 9020 Micro's have launched, this will be the NUC-with-support that I've been wanting for a while."

No SSD option on the 3020, 128GB maximum on the 9020 :smith:

Lenovo has models in that same form factor and has for longer than Dell.. The Lenovo Tiny series; M73 (low end) and M93p (high end). Both series have models available with SSDs. The factory SSDs are Samsung OEM units. Standard warranty is 3 years on-site next business day. This PDF: http://www.lenovo.com/psref/pdf/tcbook.pdf has a full listing of all the configurations/models available.

I have about 40 M73s out there, most with SSDs. Adding more all the time as we replace the old XP machines. I absolutely love them and so do the users. Haven't had a single problem with any of them.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Comcast.....

To make a long story short, after taking multiple months to get service activated at one of our branch locations, we find out Comcast somehow setup 2 accounts for the same location. We start getting billed for this fictitious account accordingly and eventually multiple collections calls per day since we refused to pay the bill.

After weeks of multiple phone calls, hours on hold, getting hung up on, transferred to silence, getting multiple confirmation numbers, being told those tickets/confirmations didn't exist/where done wrong/etc.. I blew up and fired off a string of obscenities resulting in the agent hanging up on me, again. Obviously calling them was never going to work to get this fixed. So I took to their @comcastCares twitter account.

It took them several days, but surprisingly someone actually replied to me. They promised to escalate the issue to the highest level. Today I received a phone call from someone at the Comcast Corp. Office. They said the matter had been resolved; the account had been deleted and all charges wiped out. They apologized for all the problems. Gave me a confirmation number (ugh) and also their contact info.

We shall see if the account was actually wiped out. I don't trust them, it is Comcast after all.

As much as I would like to say gently caress you to Comcast, for some of our branch locations they are stuck with them. Frontier is often the only other game in town. And around here their craptastic "6Mbps" connections barely manage 1Mbps most of the day.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

wolrah posted:

e2:
Same basic feeling in Comcast and TWC territories. As bad as either of those companies are to deal with, AT&T and Frontier are worse and DSL almost never even delivers the rated speed where cable usually is capable of exceeding it off peak.

DSL can actually deliver decent and rated speeds, however the ISP running the system has to be worth a poo poo. AT&T and Frontier do not meet this criteria.

Some of our branches and our corp. office are served by a local phone company turned ISP that uses multiple technologies. They rate their ADSL connections at 5/1 and they actually achieve this at all times. If you are not getting your rated speed, call, and they won't hesitate to fix it. They also just recently started switching to VDSL in all areas. Our corp office was able to go from 5/1 to 20/3 on VDSL.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Comcast talk....

I had posted a few pages back about my Comcast experience where in they had somehow setup 2 accounts for one location. It appears that posting to the @ComcastCares twitter account did actually work.

We where getting 1-2 collection calls per day for the second phantom account. Right after the guy from Comcast escalations called, the collection calls stopped as well. We also only received one Comcast bill this time.

Almost 2 months of dicking around with their customer "service" agents on the phone got nowhere. Make a post to their twitter account; fixed in 2 days.

I had previously thought no one could be as bad as Frontier at customer service. I was so very, very, very wrong.

You have to wonder though.. Why are communications companies so bad at communication?

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Asus warranty service has been bad for a very long time..

12 years ago I had a popular Asus K7S5A motherboard along with a Athlon XP 2400. It was discovered that when paired with particular processors, some odd problem with
first revision motherboards caused the processor's on-board cache to be completely disabled. The result of which was extremely poor performance.

I was instructed by Asus' support to send my motherboard to them along with the processor so they could verify I was indeed having that issue. The agent assured me my processor would be returned along with a repaired or replacement motherboard. Several weeks later, predictably my replacement motherboard arrived sans processor.

It took weeks of calling multiple people and departments and playing phone tag to get my processor back. I was told a few times my RMA didn't exist and never had, that the problem I was talking about didn't actually exist (despite there being a FAQ on their webpage about it at the time), that an agent would have never told me to send my processor in as its not their policy, the RMA has no notes on it about a processor, I am just trying to get a free processor out of them, etc...

On one of the many calls, I finally got someone who found the RMA, seen the notes, and was able to locate my processor and overnight it back to me.

It was a complete poo poo show.

That experience was burnt into my memory and has soured me on Asus products since then.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Apparently the backup software we use has a DST bug...

It sends out a daily email reminder at 4PM to a handful of people reminding them to change the backup disk.

At 1:59AM, when the clock rolled back to 1AM, it somehow triggered the app to start sending the reminder email about once every second until the time came back around to 1:59AM again. I woke up Sunday morning with a little over 3,000 emails reminding me to change the backup disk.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Zamujasa posted:

This is basically every DVR on the planet, it seems. They're all Chinese garbage and rely on home-grown protocols and other poo poo that break if you so much as sneeze at them.

Seconding this... However I seem to have stumbled onto an exception for the first time.

We use Vivotek branded IP cameras at work. They provide a nice free software package called ST7501 that works only with their cameras. Surprisingly, it is some of the best DVR/NVR software I have ever used. Runs perfectly fine on all modern versions of windows, doesn't require UAC or any other security features to be disabled, its very stable, and the GUI is surprisingly nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stevewm
May 10, 2005

ocall posted:

poo poo that pisses me off: Adobe Flash.

I deployed new Adobe Flash updates (Via GPO) and a handful of my users are hanging during start up. A quick house call to manually remove the old version and install the new resolved the issue.

Have we gotten to the point yet where I can stop deploying it? I would expect that most sites using flash would of made the switch to HTML5 a while ago.

Have you considered using something like PDQDeploy to push out updates or software instead? It is a hell of a lot easier and less likely to fail than the GPO method.

They offer a subscription service where pre-made packages of things such as Flash, Java, Firefox, etc.. are made available as soon as they are updated. Pushing these out takes but a few clicks. It is completely worth the price.