Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

gently caress daylight savings time.

The Moroccan government just decided to extend DST a month. As in, it was to end the 28th of September, and they issued a decree the 27th that it would continue until 27th of October. This is the second time this year that they've hosed with it too, since apparently DST should not apply during Ramadan.

Fortunately I'm not the poor bastard that has to spin a new tzdata RPM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Pissing me off: conference for devs kicking off at 8:15

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Che Delilas posted:

Hmm, clearly a conference staffed by people who have never been developers in their lives. Which means it's probably all cargo cultists and people who read an article about <thing> one time.

Oddly enough it was scheduled by a dev (it's an internal "by devs for devs" thing), we just apparently have that many talks that need to be fit in

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

poo poo that pisses me off: other devs.

Around 3:30pm, my team's shared dev box stopped responding over SSH. Me and the other sysadmin go down into the datacenter, hook up console. A bunch of Redis instances are spewing kernel errors and load is north of 35. top takes forever to start so we just go gently caress it, powercycle the box and send out jabber and email saying "oops, machine fell over, we kicked it, sorry"

At 5pm, I'm putting on my coat, put my laptop in my bag and having the general I'm Heading Out look. A dev then pipes up "Hey luminalflux, I can't run the tests any more after you rebooted, do you know why? Did you do anything?"

Jesus gently caress, you sit kitty-corner from me at our group of tables, I haven't even had my headphones on, evident due to me and the other admin discussing stuff IRL, and you choose to wait until I'm just about out the door to tell me that the reboot might have screwed up you environment?!

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

evol262 posted:

These are probably the same devs who believe that AWS and "the cloud" will obviate the need for sysadmins and let devs rule the world.

If only EBS performance (and specifically Postgres on EBS) wasn't poo poo I might consider AWS.

This shop is about as devops as you come - devs have root on all servers (and have access to vCenter), are in the on-call rotation, and do new releases of the apps themselves. I'm trying to get them to provision servers but that's not working out just yet.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

I did a little dance when I saw this, now I have an excuse to try AWS.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

door.jar posted:

I loved Spotify then I discovered that it was causing my issues with lag spikes in games thanks to its upload that you seemingly can't throttle in the application. So I moved to Pandora which seems to suit my music needs better as I generally want background music in a certain style rather than a certain album/song at a certain time.

Run a local proxy that you can throttle. Or set QoS on your gaming packets.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Developers putting over 200k files in an S3 bucket, with no directory structure :catstare:

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

It's user-generated images for a website that we're inheriting, so we're syncing down them from S3 to our own local storage. Apparently there's a lot of images that were deleted in the database but not in S3 because :effort:. Taking forever to sync since s3cmd doesn't really like directories with that many entries.

Edit: Apparently we were off by an order of magnitude, it's 2 million files :staredog:

luminalflux fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Dec 16, 2013

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Rhymenoserous posted:

Did you inherit waffleimages?

It's a site where the CTO is on his way out, all tech dealing has to go through very non-technical people due to politics and I don't have access to the EC2 instances or database yet. Apparently i'm off by even more, it's about 7.5 million files over 4 directories. s3cmd barfs when trying to sync it.

rolleyes posted:

In a similar vein, I had to investigate a project we're hosting for a client today because "it's slow".

Turns out that's because the genius who built it set up a situation where a table gets a LOT of data written into it (80 million records so far). Did I mention this table had no indexes defined? This guy also seems to be a big fan of "select * from..."

Nope, no idea why that could possibly be running at a suboptimal speed.

Some people just don't get complexity. We had one script that would do
code:
for ($region in @regions) {
  @lines = `cat $file | grep $region  | cut -f1`
}
on a 5G file over NFS over iSCSI. while(<FILE>) was apparently hard.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

In :sweden: the first sick day you don't get paid for. The following days you get 80% pay (minimum, collective bargaining agreement can set this higher) from your employer, day 2-14. Though after day 8 the employer doesn't have to pay though if the employee can't produce a statement from a doctor that they can't work. After 15 days the state pays your sick pay.

At work, our dress code is agreed to be "no tank tops". Previous mandated employees to wear work-provided ESD sandals if they entered the lab, I miss those.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Pissing me off: Venezuela.

Apparently there's an ongoing situation where the Venezuelan government is shutting down access to websites that discuss the currency situation (hint: it's not good), even going so far as to block bit.ly for linking to sites that discuss the discrepancy between the official BsF <-> USD exchange rate and the "parallell" rate. I run a bunch of classified ad websites, one of them targeted for the Venezuelan market. The problem showed up as "We just lost 99% of our traffic from Venezuela". First we thought that the major ISP had poo poo itself from what we could glean from twitter, but then local contacts clued us in to the government blackholing our site.

Since we displayed prices for some things (notably, cars) in USD, we had to remove the USD prices from the site, and actually just remove price information altogether from cars and trucks. That didn't seem to be enough, and the solutions for getting us unblocked came down to "switching to a new domain name and IP" or "bribe the government". Solution was basically:

First, get the domain under a new TLD (I actually had one lying around), reconfigure the site to show the new domain/brand name everywhere and get the graphic assets updated. (This was actually pretty fast)

Second, get a new IPv4 block non-contiguous with our old allocation from RIPE, get it routed to my network and configured in PF and Relayd. My ISP contact loved hearing "I'm blocked in a country, I need a new netblock ASAP".

Third, get new SSL certificates. Remarkably the one on my servers was easy to get and the domain verification step didn't involve weird steps to prove I owned a domain on a TLD where the registrar only updates WHOIS info once in a blue moon. Unfortunately our Akamai SSL certificate is a huge EV-SAN cert and getting new domains added to it is a buerocratic exercise despite promise to the contrary, so time to get a new CDN set up temporarily.

Fourth, set up amazon cloudfront ("I have the company credit card info and tacit boss approval, let's set up AWS despite never having touched it before in anger") since they had coverage in south america and I could set it up without involving salespeople. Except when I pushed the button my origin server for images almost melted due to the IO load. Apparently Cloudfront doesn't do what Akamai does and first try to fetch from other edge nodes before hitting the origin. It was also 5pm on friday so after seeing that despite loadavg being about 100 it was responsive and just complaining because it was trying to push ALL the IOPS to a VMDK backed by 2x1GbE iSCSI.

Did I mention this was all done on Friday? I've now spent the weekend setting up Varnish (which I've never touched before) to protect the image server for this site and another that's showing the same issues. .I swear it's load balancers all the way down, CDN -> VRRP -> CARP -> relayd -> Varnish -> apache (And I think I need to go through nginx after relayd on a couple other sites for added hilarity.)

At least I finally have a new netblock out of the deal, which is good since my /29 was getting cramped.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

"Resource" is the one that really bugs me lately.

Each time people in charge start talking about people that way, I usually quote "If HUMANS are RESOURCES, why can't we STRIP-MINE them?"

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Volmarias posted:

I hope the grossest looking person there called your bluff and stated taking his clothes off, while staring you dead in the eye.

Hasn't happened yet fortunately

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Why do people throw away equipment once they upgrade?

Power/heat budget, no space for it, no use for it, it's supermicro, we could use money for the beer fund et c.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

I could only manage a few seconds after the expert got cut off in the beginning, the flashbacks started coming.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Stuff pissing me off: Re-keying all my SSL certificates. I most likely have to go through EV verifcation for a SAN cert with subjects in interesting TLDs :suicide:

Lum posted:

Post automated server status updates to Tumblr. Will work just like the above, but also people will reply to them with Sherlock GIFs and comments that your server should kill itself for being white and cisgender, even if it's actually an HP DL380 G5 with a PERC4 RAID controller.

Check your RAID privilege

luminalflux fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Apr 9, 2014

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Paladine_PSoT posted:

• Set a frequency for the meeting. Daily, first thing in the morning is a good time

We moved ours from 9.30am to 3pm. Gets a better grip on what people are actually doing instead of a caffeine-deprived vision on what you want to work on. People started showing up later at work as an effect of this as well, so you take the good with the maybe bad.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

I took a vacation day yesterday "because i'm hungover since my sendoff party and i need to pack anyway, see y'all friday". Sent from my phone, at 9:30am. No questions asked.

Edit: might as well give full context: :yotj:, but not really. I'm moving to Mexico City tomorrow for a 6 month stint on an internal temporary transfer to work on our Mexican website. It runs on the same platform that my sites run on here, and i've worked with it for over 6 years. Instead of being a sysadmin I'll be writing code (again) for a change.

What's pissing me off is that today is the first day in 3 weeks the weather in Stockholm is non-lovely. It makes me sad that I'll miss the only reason living in this town is bearable - May-September kicks rear end and i'll return in November which is the shittiest time of the year.

luminalflux fucked around with this message at 10:07 on May 16, 2014

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Jerry Cotton posted:

Why don't modern laptops just use regular standard power cords like my old Toshiba Satellite Pro, instead of proprietary shitbricks that you always leave somewhere?

If the PSU blows, just replace the PSU instead of the whole laptop.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Vacation status: just booked tickets for 3 weeks off in august.

Casull posted:

I'll have my first real vacation next April after working various IT jobs for three years; by January, I'll have enough money in my travel budget to stay two weeks in either Hong Kong or Japan.

Now the question is: Which one? I've been to Japan before but that was six years ago, and I've never been to Hong Kong.

Hong Kong definitely. I've been there twice and loved it. Singapore is also good if you can swing going to two places, or visit some of the mainland china and maybe a day or 2 in Macau.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

SEKCobra posted:

Its not management, my boss is a senior who took on some administrative work to keep a dedicated manager out of the department.

So he's a lovely leader if he takes on leadership but isn't actually leading. It sounds like that's not the only issue in your workplace though (hint it's probably you).

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

SEKCobra posted:

Would you agree that I should not CC HR on this yet?

I'd suggest a face-to-face meeting instead of hiding behind email.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

That would imply you could get something accomplished in one line of XML.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

poo poo pissing me off: salt-stack

I've used Chef for years and i'm really used to it. The naming pisses me off, although I guess I should be used to it after working with the cutesy Chef naming scheme. Some concepts don't exist at all in Salt that I feel should be there, like the fact that you need to specify each group of attributes you want salt-mine (a terribly named analog to ohai/facter) on the node. This would be ok, except I can't seem to find a way to dynamically generate a mine configuration by gathering attributes from various states that would want to enable various mine_functions.

I'm not overly impressed and I really don't get the hype around salt.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

It's a combination of stuff working really well (ZeroMQ, remote invocation) combined with babbys first CM implementation, which a lot of afficionados seem to handwave away bugs as features. Needing to pre-seed node keys before spinning up nodes (as opposed to Chef's method of the validator key)? No difference between a file resource and a template resource besides a small flag ("- template: jinja", guess who nuked his salt-minion config due to this today)? Jinja being pretty goddamn stupid compared to ERB? What's the difference between "low", "high" and "over" states?

Granted, I've spent like 2-3 years in Chef, but this seems like what happens when your CM devs are from a state where cocktails must be mixed out of view of all patrons.

Goddamn I miss reusable cookbooks and node attributes that can be set from recipes with defaults.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

We had a discussion today in our retrospective on tone in trello cards, after one person managed to piss my off by using a tone reserved for a superior talking down to a very low subordinate. I'm not sure what we agreed on though.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Honestly planning story points for user stories using planning poker feels that way sometimes.

~~luv2scrum~~

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

poo poo pissing me off: I returned to my apartment after 2 months in exile, and apparently I packed down my mouse somewhere in a Good Place. I am now stuck with an apple trackpad.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Lareous posted:

Just to be clear, are there any of you that like your current boss? I just want to make sure there are indeed good ones.

I've really started to hate my job recently because of mine and I've only been there just around 6 months. I don't hate the work, or even hate my coworkers (they are actually all awesome). It's just the boss.

My "line manager" (department CEO) at my "normal job" back in Sweden is great - makes sure I have budget, trusts my decisions and is a general great guy. My current CTO in Mexico is great too, giving me what I need but also providing pushback and feedback to make my solutions a lot better than my first draft.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Crowley posted:

You need a recipe for pizza? :psyduck:

I'm partial to Serious Eats Foolproof Pan Pizza.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

"I'm a people person! Is this so hard to understand?!"

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Dick Trauma posted:

Smear hand gel on the handle.

Hand gel doesn't kill norovirus very well actually, soap and water works a lot better. And it's always norovirus that spreads like wildfire around the office since people are stupids when it comes to staying home when they're sick.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

We had north half of the 12th floor, when we expanded to south half of 11th floor we had builders put in a staircase between them. It's a solveable problem.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Dick Trauma posted:

There will be about eight floors between them. Also we don't own this building so we can't do anything interesting.

Neither did we, we leaned on the building owners to do it. It having the name of our media group on it might have been a factor, but prob not a huge.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

good jovi posted:

The four in hand is both the easiest and best looking. Just learn it.

http://www.tcm.phy.cam.ac.uk/~tmf20/tieknots.shtml is a much more interesting look at ties, as well as some more formalized instructions for the tying of most knots.

That work has been built on by a friend of mine in Hirsch, Patterson, Sandberg, Vejdemo-Johansson: More ties than we thought. He also built a random tie knot generator so you can always have something new to try!

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Pissing me off: No espresso coffee. We've got normal coffee but that doesn't work well in the espresso machine. I'm staring down the barrel of a day without caffeine send ha;lp

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

How's your resume coming?

Not providing coffee would probably cause a wild strike that the unions would gladly get behind. Nobody fucks with coffee in :sweden:

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

My signature is "//$firstname". If I'm talking with a vendor or something for the first time i'll include a title I make up and my phone number.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

poo poo that pisses me off: Phone number inputs that don't like my phone number.

Yes, +467xxxxxxxxx is a valid phone number for me even though my shipping address is the US. No, it's not (467) xxx-xxxx. Let me just put the international poo poo there and don't care about trying to validate if it's NANP or w/e.

Also, address fields. I had a run-in with my bank because my address is apparently too long:
code:
Buttecorp S.A de C.V
Att: luminalflux
Paseo de Reforma 471, Despachio #103
Colonia Lomas de Chapultepec, Delegacion Cuauhtemoc
11000 Cd. de Mexico, D.F
MEXICO
Inevitably one line would be too long or too many lines or something.