Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

Ynglaur posted:

Is there some process with the US State Department whereby I can file a loving grievance? I'm now worried that if I someday travel to Canada I'll get stopped at the border for unfiled mythical taxes or some poo poo, but I don't want to spend $$$ every loving year filing a $0 tax return for a foreign country.

Note: IANAL or a tax expert.

Did your income, while working in Canada, come from a Canadian or US source? If Canadian, you're liable I believe. If US:

quote:

If the taxpayer is working in Canada, but for a U.S. company, and is paid by the U.S. company, employment income is exempt from Canadian taxation as long as the taxpayer is not residing in Canada.
https://turbotax.intuit.ca/tax-resources/tax-compliance/how-are-taxes-assessed-for-us-citizens-working-in-canada.jsp

You can also try calling the CRA:
http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/cntct/phn-eng.html

I understand you've probably already done this, but it'll be the best chance.

Also, follow up with your legal department, they might not be doing poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

go3 posted:

tl;dr oil industry

There, doesn't that feel better?

:staredog:

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Things pissing me off: Windows 10

I've got a pro copy, so I changed all my GP settings to not automatically install updates, and to not download them until I want to.

So what does Microsoft do, 2 days in a row?

gently caress you Microsoft, I control when I want poo poo to be done on my home PC.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

nitrogen posted:

Terminal Documentum

But that's an actual thing :v:

:thejoke: i'm sure

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Sickening posted:

"Hey IT, we just bought this 20k printer and we need help getting it configured for our network." "Don't worry about the cable run, its already taken care of."

This is just one of the 3 office doorways that this cord is run across of. Yes, that is black tape. No, we weren't consulted for a 20k IT purchase.

Today is a fun day.

You know, I'm doing a floor cable run in my apartment (for 2 cables passing 1 hallway, nothing major) and I actually took the time to buy one of those rubber cable concealers. It might just be me, but...

oh who am I kidding this is still really stupid.

Also, I barely recognized you with your new avatar.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

DroneRiff posted:

I know, it's all my fault for not asking the simple "Does it say anything on the printer? Does it actually have paper?" questions in advance. That will each me :negative:

One thing that I learned while working Helpdesk for 5 year for one company was to always get the printer's error message.

Kinda helps that Ricoh always wanted the error message if it was there.

Yes, I did get a handful of "paper not loaded" and told them "well, put paper in it". Yes, more than a few times I was told it wasn't their job just fix it. Yes, there's a community stack of paper close by for them to do it.

I then forward those requests to their manager. Community effort people!

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Well what I thought was going to be a relatively quick upgrade of my 2-in-1 laptop's RAM and swapping the hard drive for an SSD has hit a minor snag.

What kind of rear end in a top hat designs a laptop mobo with the RAM slot on the underside? I'm going to have to dismantle most of the insides to get at it :argh:.

Most do? There's usually a little panel that's held in by a screw that you can take apart underneath the laptop that has the RAM slot in it.

At least, that's the case for almost every single laptop I've used.

Unless that's not what you're talking about in which case forget it and I don't understand what you're saying.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Neddy Seagoon posted:

There is no such panel on this, just smooth case on the bottom which is the reason for my annoyance with it. I know exactly what you mean though, because even my old Eee 1000h just had a pair of small panels in the bottom to get directly at the HDD and RAM without opening up the whole thing.

The hell kind of laptop is this?

Seriously, which model? That way I know to avoid it like the plague.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
poo poo not pissing me off: Banking 2 days for later use.

Work had me go to a clients site to fix some broken computers. Said I could claim all travel time as work time, plus any time I spent on the clients site.

Not sure when I will use these 2 banked days but it'll go well with the other 2 I have banked. Might take a week off later this year...

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

RFC2324 posted:

People should not be getting excited about 2 days off :(

I just started at this job and I don't get overtime, but they made it clear any extra time I work I can bank.

I've banked almost a weeks worth of time so far, so I can at least have a mini vacation if I want to.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Well, that got weird

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

organburner posted:

No we actually get two monitors!
One is even 1080p!

But now we need to have open two ticketing software as well as two different RDP sessions to client servers so we'd kinda need 4 monitors.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/download/details.aspx

Use this for your multiple RDCs.

Then, maybe, tabbed browsing for your ticketing system.

Won't help with the slow PCs bit hope it helps.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

A few pages ago but yes, thank you. I was on mobile but for some reason it screwed up copy/paste

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

nitrogen posted:

Documentum sounds like a terminal disease.

"I'm sorry, but you have Documentum. It's terminal. You have six to live."
"Six what?"

"Five."

I contracted mild Documentum, was bedridden for a week. Be careful.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Siochain posted:

Hey, we just let you guys keep thinking you can have it to show the rest of the world how two countries should solve a land dispute. By leaving bottles of booze everything we switch the flag ;)

This is the reason it's still my favourite long standing conflict

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Thanks Ants posted:

Anyone got a FortiGate talking to Azure VPN? I'm in a world of endless phase 1 errors at the moment and no obvious reason why.

I think we're working on something like that for one of our clients. If we get something similar I'll let you know.