Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I got so fed up with the spiceworks ads/community/review stupidity I put them in my hosts file to make it go away. I use IE without any ad block for internal business apps, so that was the solution. If a good search pulls up something that might be useful, I just paste the URL

Add the following.spiceworks. com to your hosts file/firewall. Help desk works fine after this, we don't use any other parts.

Gekko
Community
Xact
Static

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
gently caress adp time clock support.

That is all.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Could be worse, could be a VM host failure. :unsmigghh:

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

We had a server that became unresponsive and it ended up needing to be hard booted. Higher up blowhards want an RCA. I wrote same in flowery business speak. They want it "more granular". Alright what you want me to like describe the way I right clicked the VM or something? It's a server, the thing got rebooted, who cares, this is why we cluster and load balance everything.

Do you work at my previous employer? RCAs for every little stupid loving thing. I get that they can be a good idea, but only when its a severe outage, not something affecting 10 loving people in a 6,000 employee environment.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
poo poo that's pissing me off lately: aggressive sales guys. We answer the door if the warehouse process overlord isn't at the front desk, she doubles as receptionist.

Over the last couple of weeks, I've answered the door to three different sales guys showing up unannounced wanting to talk to someone, blah blah, blah. gently caress you, no. "Is there someone I can contact?"

"Company policy doesn't allow me to give out that I information, sorry."

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
So over the last couple of weeks we've been taking over another company's infrastructure because they're closing and it's likely that their IT guy will be gone as soon as he has another position. We just need to keep things running along for the next 6 months until they close the doors. We established network connectivity with a site to site vpn, I turned up some DCs here for DNS/DHCP/AD, then drove up a week ago and ripped out all their servers/SAN and brought them back here to rack in our datacenter. Max downtime for everything was 8 hours, 5 of that travel time. About as perfectly executed of a project plan as could be.

Last weekend I P2Ved everything that was feasible into our vmware cluster because their hardware is old and out of warranty G6/G7 HPs, an EMC AX4i that's god knows how old, and some whitebox poo poo from another company that they acquired a year ago. At this point they are in far better shape than they've ever been in their existence with regards to high availablity, recoverability, performance, and, oh yeah, actual loving backups.

There are two servers remaining to P2V, so I sent an email asking for downtime of one of the final servers to P2V it, keeping in mind that only ONE person uses it on an occasional basis.

I get back a 3 long paragraph tirade CC'ing my boss from their IT guy "concerned that things are moving way too fast," and asking us to hold off on any further migrations. Motherfucker, do you not understand how terrible of an admin you are? YOU HAD ONE DOMAIN CONTROLLER. ONE. ONE ESXI HOST WHEN YOU WERE LICENSED FOR VSPHERE ESSENTIALS/3HOSTS AND HAD THE HARDWARE. ALL OF YOUR HARDWARE IS OUT OF WARRANTY. YOUR FILE SERVER ISCSI LUN WAS SET UP SINGLE PATH. YOUR SAN WEB INTERFACES HAD NO PASSWORD. YOU HAD TO ASK US HOW TO NAVIGATE TO THE USERS OU TO SEE ACTIVE USERS FOR FUCKS SAKE. gently caress OFF TO ANOTHER COMPANY AND gently caress UP THEIR INFRASTRUCTURE ALREADY YOU DUMB MOTHERFUCKER.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

flosofl posted:

Sounds like he was literally useless *before* the infrastructure was out the door.

Ding Ding! When they announced the plant closing, key personnel were given bonus packages to stay on to assist with closing and selling off assets, he was one of them. They're down to maybe 15 people on site at this point and will be down to 6 by the end of the year. Sucks for him but it's not my problem, we take orders from the north american group CEO. I'm not going to support their mickey mouse bullshit and take the risk of a catastrophic hardware failure without warranty coverage or backups.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

ratbert90 posted:

Also the engineering group is going to see Star Wars on Friday. :woop:

Thursday 6pm, thanks Dell. I'll sit through a 30 minute sales pitch for a free movie ticket and snacks. :smugdog:

poo poo that is pissing me off today: network admin rolled out switch firmware updates yesterday morning, and a 48 port at our biggest location outside of hq is bricked. Said network admin has been on a plane for the last 2 and a half hours so its been up to me, a windows engineer who knows how to do sh run and that's about it, to try and clean up the mess the network admin created.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
We're in a similar situation with our wireless warehouse management system. The company knows we're dropping them within the next year once we're brought onboard to the global parent SAP system, so their support for us has gone to poo poo.

...not that it was great to begin with for their piece of poo poo product. I have so many Band-Aids in place to deal with stupid bullshit from the terrible design decisions in an infrastructure level.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Bob Morales posted:

How far do you guys think can I throw a Zebra printer?

That's not counting the other print server with another 30 or so desktop zebras, or the ~75 wireless ql320/ql420s that are out there. :negative:

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Ding ding, warehouse shipping/receiving operations across 30+ locations.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I'm just glad they finally acknowledged that the proper term for faster than light travel is warp speed, not "hyperspace."

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Has anyone done any digital signage implementations for corporate communications? We're looking to get rid of our lovely video extender system and just run an android stick pc behind each tv, running an app connecting to a cloud solution. Way less maintenance and far easier for HR/marketing/etc to update with a web UI.

Problem is, there's a million loving apps/saas providers out there, and they pretty much all look/act the same. I've been demoing a few today just to play around with them, and it's all starting to blur together. If you deal with a system like that, what do you use and what do you like/dislike about it?

Currently liking RevelDigital but it's a bit overkill; MangoSigns design/management gui is easy but it doesn't have a lot of content options/dynamic sourcing. They're all the same really and that's what's pissing me off.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Thanks Ants posted:

https://www.google.co.uk/work/chrome/devices/for-signage/. The lovely companies that think they can ask for $400+ per display in licensing costs can get hosed. Signage is all about the content - if you have nothing to say and you design everything in paint then it doesn't matter how expensive the software was, it's going to look dogshit.

Yep, that's pretty much what i'm looking at. Buy $75 android box, and pay a SaaS provider to provide the management GUI and system for the content managers, so we (IT) don't have to support loving PCs attached to TVs.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
If using spiceworks these hosts file entries are critical:

code:
127.0.0.1	gekko.spiceworks.com
127.0.0.1	community.spiceworks.com
127.0.0.1	xact.spiceworks.com
127.0.0.1	static.spiceworks.com
If you find something on spiceworks community via search that looks interesting, just copy the drat url to another machine to open it. gently caress spiceworks community, I can't stand that bullshit circlejerk.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
It wouldn't happen to be the warehouse management system that is named after the geographical organizational rings around the earth, would it? Because that software is Hot loving Garbage and there isn't a day that goes by that we don't have some sort of issue. I've put in so many bandaids, thank God we're moving to the global SAP platform theoretically by the end of the year, then it's not my problem.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Nutanix Representative Emailed posted:

Hey devmd01,

You might have attended our Star Wars movie premiere and learned a bit about Nutanix.

We're the market leader in hyperconverged infrastructure - combining servers and storage in a single software-defined appliance to simplify datacenter management.
This is a virtualization platform that allows you to easily scale incrementally, and manage your whole environment from a single user interface.
If you need a visual - here's how it works [click tracking link].

Are you open to speaking with my team to hear more about this technology, and seeing if/where you can leverage it in 2016?

gently caress you, no. Not when you've called me twice a loving day for a week straight you motherfucker. It's interesting technology, but you being a lovely pushy sales person trying to make contact to make your pitch pisses me quickly, and I will never intentionally do business with you for the foreseeable future.

Your number is getting blocked in google voice and i'm adding your email to the spam filter. gently caress off.

Edit: I just got an add request on linkedin, too :catstare:

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jan 26, 2016

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Then would you be so kind as to pass them along to someone who can?

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
How about a totally bitchin' modem that just came back in a pile of crap from a branch location we spun off to another company?

Thing is older than I am, still powers on. I might just have to give a shot at turning it into an HTPC case.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Bob Morales posted:

I wish I could give an 'honest assessment' of who the people with the least amount of computer skills are in each department to managers. Then they could re-train them or fire their retarded asses.

We in IT (as in all of us sans our director) started a series of meetings with the HR director to voice our concerns about the company direction, how we need a tier 1 helpdesk person to deal with the stupid bullshit, etc. Nothing in an attempt to go over our directors head, he knows and is supportive.

One of our big complaints is the quality of people in the organization, barely any troubleshooting on their own or any sort of critical thinking skills attempted before throwing in a ticket or calling.

The HR director agrees, knows, and already has a list of people that are first against the wall at the next opportunity. :unsmigghh:

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Judge Schnoopy posted:

My first vendor swag request came in the other day. Premier of Batman vs Superman, during business hours on a Friday, boss signed off for anybody wanting to go. Just have to sit through a presentation of "becoming a network security hero" and listen to the sales pitch of whatever tool they have.

Nobody else in the office wants to go. Still thinking of going by myself because free half day + movie in an upscale theater seems worth it.

Don't give them a real phone number and be ready to set up some spam filter rules!

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Kakesu posted:

We just use eBay.

This came out in an interview I had over a year ago, the director was proud of the fact that they had purchased their cx380 emc San secondhand on eBay, didn't have a support contract, and continued to purchase replacement parts on eBay.

It also came out that their planned new San replacement just "didn't make the budget" this year.

When their HR guy called a couple of days later to make me an offer, I didn't even let him get to the compensation part before telling him I was no longer interested.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
At least it's not Management Platform/Altiris. I stood it up from scratch for a 180+ site, 4000+ workstation, 200+ server environment and that's not an experience I want to go through again.

I will say that it is far more powerful than SCCM, especially when it comes to getting poo poo Done Right Now, but I really would rather not deal with it ever again in my career unless someone was offering me faaaat stacks of cash.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
It's about goddamn time, but I just did a round of firmware updates on our entire vmware cluster two weeks ago. :negative:

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Thing pissing me off today: an admin at a other company in our network changed an external DNS entry for owa/active sync. Broke phone access from 5pm until just now.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Just don't have it auto-approve anything except for servers and your test group.

Yes, servers. Set your gpo to option 3 (download and notify) for normal settings, switch the GPO to option 4 a day before you patch. And don't forget to switch it back after you're done.

Desktops don't get auto approval, but they are configured to auto install daily. When I want to patch desktops I go through and manually approve late in the afternoon.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
poo poo that no longer pisses me off:

thank god I've been out of that place for a while.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
We're moving our current datacenter into a colo like that soon, 3 racks worth with options to expand to 5 racks. I wanted to do individual cable lengths, but nearly every system uses 10 Gbe SFP+, so no making our own.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I have to get an edge server set up for our skype for business install and federate it with a lovely old lync 2010 install in another domain; it doesn't have an edge server either. :suicide:

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I have to do the one earbud thing, since we get a lot of walk-ups. Its loving annoying, since music helps a lot when writing a script or digging in to a major issue.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Once we got through the optimization issues, our aerohive deployment has been solid. We have a challenging environment too; warehousing with lots of metal shelves with metal product on them, so the building is basically one giant faraday cage.

Once we tweaked wireless settings and got rid of our lovely 10+ year old 802.11b scanners, complaints in the warehouse have been nonexistent for the most part.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I started out my career driving around all over the place setting up new locations for a retail chain, there are days I wish I could go back to something like that. I got my poo poo done ahead of schedule, boss left me alone, and I got to do some cool poo poo occasionally where I was working.

Sadly with a wife, kid, and salary expectations that no field tech job can meet, that's just not feasible anymore.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
god dammit the mpls circuit connection delay for our new datacenter is pissing me off. I wanna get my shiny new SC8000s with SSD fired up!

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
New laptop, E5470. Downgrading a little bit but I want more portability. Let's hope the Intel graphics isn't poo poo that pisses me off like my current AMD chipset

I'm never buying and/ATI again, their driver support is the worst, past a certain driver revision I get screen flickering on my home pc when playing YouTube.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
http://conferencecall.biz/

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
poo poo pissing me off: our ERP clusterfuck and EDI. Director left a couple of weeks ago, and with him went the most knowledgeable person about our ERP and the EDI processes.

So naturally, tickets are backing up because nobody knows how to do anything. We are 1099ing a previous dba who worked on the system, but that means I need to work with him after hours to work through tickets and knowledge transfer.

All while being one of two infrastructure admins for the whole company and in the middle of moving forward full steam with a datacenter migration.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
It is, especially if I stay through next year. I use that fact to help calm me down when poo poo gets stressful. I still only put in 40-45 hrs a week including after hours maintenance. Fixing poo poo Thursday night till midnight? Yeah, I'm leaving at lunch. Im not totally in a pod but the good outweighs the bad.

For now.

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Aug 25, 2016

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I would vote not guilty on murder 1.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

flosofl posted:

Straight up Justifiable Homicide.

"He kept coming after me with 'Understood', Officer. Even after I clued him that he, in fact, didn't 'understood'. I wish it hadn't happened, but I had to Stand My Ground"

But of course always let your lawyer deliver that line for you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Sheep posted:

I feel for you. People giving out my personal cell phone number (or calling it for work related stuff period, I have a company phone for a reason) is like my #1 pet peeve and in the past I've even told people off about it right in front of every C-level we have.

Only took two years but they finally seem to have gotten the point.

Anyways :justpost:

Google voice number, cmon son. If I ever have to burn bridges entirely all I have to do is click two buttons in Google voice and I have a new number. Not that I anticipate having to, but its a nice option to have. Nobody knows my personal cell number except for HR.