Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps

Dick Trauma posted:

People who leave a voicemail saying "Call me" or "I have a quick question." Just tell me what you want in the message, you dumbshits. You don't have to keep your message below five seconds.

Not to mention the length of time it takes to retrieve a voicemail from our ancient phone system. 7 keypresses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swink
Apr 18, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

Instead of using Microsoft Visio, which I've used for years and is kind of the standard diagram/flowchart program, I'm forced to use SmartDraw, which my boss bought because it was $199 instead of $299 for Visio. Cheap gently caress.

Bonus points for having to RDP into a Pentium 4 with 1GB of RAM running Windows XP because he only wants to buy one license and there are like 20 people who use it. UUUGGGGHHH

Smartdraw is terrible. It's just bad software that is terrible to use and even worse to manage.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006

IndustrialPope posted:

Plenty of our peers (and their kids) have not been taught anything about computers because people believed people would MAGICALLY adopt the skills needed by way of.. I don't know, i usually tune out at this point.

Needless to say, the same people now say my profession (Librarian) is useless because of this magic ability of kids to... and then this axe suddenly appears in my hand. The next thing that is considered useless will be elementary school and then we can reintroduce the feudal system.

I just magically picked up the skills when I was growing up. I kind of assumed everyone else my age did as well. It took me far too long to realise this wasnt the case.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006

luminalflux posted:

gently caress daylight savings time.

The Moroccan government just decided to extend DST a month. As in, it was to end the 28th of September, and they issued a decree the 27th that it would continue until 27th of October. This is the second time this year that they've hosed with it too, since apparently DST should not apply during Ramadan.

Fortunately I'm not the poor bastard that has to spin a new tzdata RPM.

Back when Australia hosted the olympics in 2000, they extended DST for a month or so. Gave us months of warning. Microsoft released a patch specifically to adjust the times on Windows. It didnt work. Nothing worked. Our clocks were hosed for a week, even Bank ATMs shat themselves.

You cant just decide to change the clock on a whim! Time is sorta important!

Edit - Maybe it was 2006 Commonwealth games? Either way, it hosed me.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Adobe creative cloud thing won't register through our proxy.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
So if I want an invoice from your company, it's costs me 15 bucks? gently caress you guys!

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
http://devopsreactions.tumblr.com/post/58901765704/when-disaster-happens-and-you-dont-have-dr

This one is amazing.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Are there services out there for testing the upload speed of a link? I need to verify the capacity of our newly installed internet link. Everything Google turns up like speedtest.net is a tiny upload file which is usually finished in 5 seconds.

I need to have a sustained upload over an hour or more so I can point to a graph and say "Yes this link is maxed at 20mbit"

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
The other day as I spun up 5 test servers and then deleted them a few hours later, I found myself wondering "How did I ever do anything before Virtualisation?"

Right now I'm wondering "How does anyone do anything without Active Directory?"

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
It's 9pm on the second last day of work and I'm in the office working on phones. As much as it sucks, being the only one in the office makes it pretty easy to get stuff done.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Is it possible to download Photoshop without using the fuckhole that is Adobe Creative Cloud Downloader thing? I just want the install files so I dont have to download it 10 times.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006

frogbert posted:

Wait, is he saying that the US Military uses McAfee?

No he said half the US military's servers are running out of date mcafee. ;)

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
This new Dell XPS13 is great. Except the wifi maxes out at 1MB/sec.

What's that? They ALL have that problem? turning them from amazing machines to pieces of poo poo? Fantastic!

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
When it was just the one laptop I thought it was a hardware issue, but now I have four of them on my desk and I don't know whats going on.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Add in printers, carrying heavy things, and coffee machines = me every day. I think its pretty standard for a lot of folks.

I will say that Quickbooks and it's multi-user bullshit can eat a bowl of dicks in hell.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006

incoherent posted:

Doooooooo yooooooouuuuuuuuu have an odd situation where one person cannot login to a muti-user file if it's already open, but if they open it first and another person opens the file, it works magically?

I slayed this beast and it was the greatest feeling of accomplishment in my career.

It was some bullshit to do with the service account on the server that houses the quickbook files. It was running as QBUser31 instead of QBUser32. (It didnt match the client version).

I'm pretty sure there are an infinite number of other causes of the same issue though.

Incidentally, what is the process like moving from QB to Xero? Anyone done it? I know there's a dude on here that works for them.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Someone in one of these threads mentioned they use JIRA to log tickets, but they are the only one in thier business who uses it. He maintained it simply for his own benefit.

I want to do the same thing (JIRA seems cheap). Got any advice?

Swink
Apr 18, 2006

Sarcasmatron posted:

JIRA is complete overkill for what you're describing.

The reason I liked JIRA was for the experience of using a good service desk program. Really the one I choose isn't important. I've never worked somewhere with a formal ticketing system before and I want the experience so I don't get boned at a job interview or something.

Plus it's just good practice to log tickets.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
I just want to say that I'm still chuckling at the new thread title.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
That Sarcasmatron project management post was like reading a soothing back massage.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
It has come! After an eon of searching, our people can finally find peace.

Clean up the WinSXS directory on Server2008R2:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askpfepl...new-update.aspx

(does the linked script not work for anyone else, despite definitely having the update installed?) :suicide:

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Well the CEO sent mail to 500 recipients last week and now we're on the messagelabs blacklist. But messagelabs doesnt tell you that you're on it - they just take your mail and dont deliver it to the recipient.

Messagelabs wont talk to me without a support contract. What a mess.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006

quote:

Oh well, that explains why I couldn't make calls in the first place. It works now. Have a nice day!

Yessssssssssss. Hrrnngggg.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
You know the feeling of dread you get when the thread is about to devolve into a useless semantic argument? I got that feeling.

Content: 30gb .ost file. Mailbox is only 5gb. What gives?

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Surge protector for every outlet?

Maybe $50 a pop.... How many outlets could you have? 500? 20,000?

Get Dave from accounting to run some numbers.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Hosted jive here.

Expensive. Good lord.

5% of the firm understand what it's for.

I encourage people to use it but we have an office culture that discourages it's use. ie: if you're using Jive you're not billing. Why aren't you billing?

Edit: wouldn't mind chatting with other jive users about your use of it. I'm about to become the guy who manages it and would like to hear how if others are failing to use it in the same way we are.

Swink fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Aug 17, 2014

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Working in IT thread: Just minimize the pain.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006

Dick Trauma posted:

My method is to start an email without anything in the address bar (so I don't accidentally send it) and let it all out. Over the last year or so I've found myself crafting four or five responses before I run out of steam and send something that won't get me fired.

My drafts folder is a one way ticket to a prison psychologist.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006

MF_James posted:

Or the user is an idiot and doesn't want to admit it.

User is idiot and doesn't realise it.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
edit ^ How can a company be cognitive enough to pay for a pentest but not write in a loving password checkerer?

The Melbourne cup (Horse race) ran today. Every year we put it on for the staff to watch. This year I couldn't get a signal through our godawful AV setup. Turns out the TV signal runs through an old analog VCR, and my area has retired analog transmission.

To do list: purchase digital tuner for boardroom.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Papercut is the best software for controlling the worst things.

We only have a small implementation but it just works and the support is good.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Anyone got a direct link to the Win8.1 Ent. evaluation ISO? The new MS Evaluation centre is a piece of poo poo.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006

Dick Trauma posted:

The president of one of my best tech vendors called today because he thinks there might be an opportunity for me to work with them. They target my industry and my inside knowledge applies to pretty much everyone in our business. I'm not sure if this would be a good fit or if the work would be too sporadic to be a real job but I'll be giving it some thought and calling him back to discuss it further. It was nice to be thought of by someone I consider highly competent.

:)

Swink
Apr 18, 2006

wibble posted:

http://jobview.monster.com/getjob.aspx?JobId=144461403&jvs=cf,can-6342,can,0&WT.mc_n=olm_sk_feed_ziprecruiter

This been posted yet?
Seems to match the descriptions of working in healthcare that have been posted many times in the two threads...

First line:

"There is just no point in sugarcoating it; this is an awful job, nobody really wants this job."

gently caress yeah chilli cookoff!

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
New windows laptops are baffling. So much of that poo poo. Nowhere to be seen on Apple laptops.

Edit - That I'm aware of.

Swink fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Feb 19, 2015

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
^ We've been here before. His last job was all donuts and rainbows until it wasnt anymore.

The highs and lows of Dick Trauma's career.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
gently caress yes DT.

Content: I just spent 20 minutes of my life resetting the password of someone's skype account. This is what I hate about my job: I'm expected to handle this type of thing.

Don't get me started on AppleID accounts.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Faith in IT God restored.

Dressing well makes you feel good. Keep it up, I say.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Well then.

We just need one more batshit DHCP story this week to fulfill the prophecy.

Swink fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Apr 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
My firm's plan is to standardise on Surfaces. I am hesitant because Win8 still isnt good enough for my inbred staff to deal with and I'm putting all my faith in Win 10 being awesome.

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

This x1000. Imaging them isn't too bad, but I'm still having loads of issues with WinRE and Bitlocker playing nicely.

Yeah, this is my issue. Has anyone got a working task sequence for this that they could post the xml for. Edit - MDT task sequence.

Swink fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Apr 17, 2015