Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
Can anyone link me to the post where the company didn't use/trust DHCP for their 4000 hosts?
I need to relive it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Oh yeah, that's the stuff. Fuckin' LOL.

Thanks, that'll get me through the day.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
I just removed java from every single workstation except two. Feels good.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
I nominate myself as new moey.

Law firm, this year, moved 47 staff in 90 person office.

Then moved 24 staff in a smaller, 50 person office.

Then moved the smaller office again to accommodate new staff coming in that had to sit next to the old staff.

We also have to move thier paper files, furniture, filing cabinets and of course any personal poo poo they have in thier office.

This happens at scale every 6-9 months. Smaller moved happen ad hoc when teams change and they absolutely have to sit within earshot of each other.

Because we have no space, to move 1 staff member requires repositioning an entire team.

In one partners office I found a box of tax returns from 1970-1980. Said partner had me move them to the new office. I've moved them 5-6 times since I've worked here.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
They were his personal files. He stored them in his office, I assume, because he ran out of room in his house. Who knows.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006

Roargasm posted:

Of course I'll help you format your 30-page Word document. After all, I did list Word expertise on my resume to get this office support job and I'm the best at using the space bar to format handbooks. Oh wait, that's you.

Holy poo poo this. My entire week is doing jobs that other people are specifically hired to do. Like process word documents and move files around.

I don't mind lending a hand wherever needed. The difference is I'm paid for my technical expertise but in practice I am just an extra warm body to print a document or move a desk.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
I need a database application akin to MS Access where it's easy to create a DB (converted from a bunch of excel sheets) but something a bit less despised as access. Something web based would be good. Something free would be amazing. It's not a large dataset by any means but holy poo poo we can't do this with excel anymore.

Pis singe me off: 10 people working on 10 Excel sheets with NFI.

Swink fucked around with this message at 23:54 on May 10, 2015

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
That is how our entire staff communicate with clients.

Afaik it's a way to avoid offering up more difficult alternatives.

"I can take a message orrrrrrr I can deal with this myself

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
You're supposed to use server manager on the client OS when it's not practical to use powershell. Nobody is making gpos with powershell.

I looking forward to the next versions of windows client and server OS so we can finally stop bitching about this topic.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Gah what is the good irc channel these days?

Swink
Apr 18, 2006

nitrogen posted:

There is #bofh which is mine, and is goon friendly as long as you aren't a jerk.

There is also #sysadmin but they don't take kindly to goonerisims.

Edit - found it. Thanks.

Also, are goonerisms a thing that I want to be around?

Swink fucked around with this message at 01:14 on May 26, 2015

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Everyone uses Slack now. Chat has come full circle.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
As long as I can whine there without clogging up the forum. It's going well so far.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Are commutes getting more gnarly in a world where we're supposed to be working from anywhere?

I'm in the same boat as Volmaris. There is no way I could get work done in my house right now. I'd have to hire office space or go to the library for some peace.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Google Search is no longer an option to be added to IE11. Why are you doing this to me?

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
That Excel rant really spoke to me. Well done.

Our practice management software isn't very complex, it's just busy as all hell. Lots of fields to fill in all over the place. Probably 5% of the staff understand why they need to fill in the fields. The rest only know that the fields need to have something in there to progress to the next screen.

Our only saving grace is that we do such a poo poo job of mining our own data that nobody notices that the data is junk.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
What else can they do? Is it feasible to migrate enormous secure systems every few years?

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Theres probably 40 examples in my office alone where staff are doing good work for less-than-good pay.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Our laptop-purchasing process:

1) Purchase Laptop
2) Purchase the 30 required display adapters for the mismatch of screens and projectors
3) Purchase spares because they go missing and get left in the office when people go off to do a presentation.
4) Cop poo poo when nobody knows how to projector.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Not pissing me off: ~6 months after I was denied any ticketing system at all ("Its a waste of time to document requests") we just bought zendesk for the team.

Its not directly responsible, but I havent hated my job as much this week.

Almost 500 tickets already.

Soon to piss me off: They insist on putting more images in our email signature. clients are complaining that our emails are crashing their Outlook client. It's pretty funny.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006

ConfusedUs posted:

Tell me he works for Carbonite

Perfect.

Edit - Can someone explain the difference between using ADFS for O365 authentication and dirsync (or whatever dirsync is called now).

Swink fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Jul 30, 2015

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
I have to find the latest version of a quickbooks file we have, for a company we split from years ago, that nobody knows anything about.

It should be on a backup tape spanning anywhere in the last 5 years.

Nobody knows where the file was located when it was current data, so even if I find the right tape, I have no idea where the file will be. If it's the right tape.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
A good amount of my restore requests go down that way.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Law firm checking in.
Maybe the best scenario is when we poach a new lawyer from another firm and they bring a whole bunch of their own special snowflake templates and ask how soon they can be inserted into the document system.

Also when we hire assistants with 50 years experience but have no concept of Word styles or sections or directory structure.

Or just how loving slow the entire firm operates due to a million pieces of red tape.

Maybe it's their ferocious aversion to metrics of any kind, save for billable hours.

IT budget is good though.

Edit - I used to care about how inefficient everything was. Every process from entering new clients into the database to getting approval to actually do any work for them to reviewing a letter that needs to be sent takes 10 people to be involved.

Trying to fix these problems only caused problems for me so now instead of trying to improve their workflows I just ensure that their backwards rear end methods work properly (email all the partners!).

Swink fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Aug 2, 2015

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
I believe that was just a turn of phrase with regards to the previous poster.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
So he wants you to solder a power brick together using parts to save a few bucks? What a hero.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
The first thing I'm doing on your good internet is tricking people into sending me money.

Forgive the sales talk, but does anyone have a recommendation for some scanning 'workflow' software? We're going to be doing a non-trivial amount of scanning in our org and we need software that can take the scanned image from our MFDs, convert it to OCR'd PDF and deliver it to \\server\\share\%username%.

We run Papercut so ideally it would play nicely with that.

We have four sites so we'd want to processing to happen locally rather than having to travel over the WAN to get processed and then delivered back.

Does a product like this exist?

Swink
Apr 18, 2006

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

To add to the "setup can be a hassle" piece, our development team has been trying to integrate this into our infrastructure for 2+ years now. They've mostly failed.

The implementation is a huge can of worms with individual components that have their own nuances in how/where/why they operate. I don't envy anyone that is in the position of developing for it.

We have Toshiba copiers so our copier company resells the Toshiba workflow software. It is exactly how you expect software from Toshiba to be: terrible. Hardware companies cannot make software.

Papercut on the other hand is glorious software and I will always praise it.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
I'm petition to get stack overflow excepted. How will you write code if you can't browse stack overflow?

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
People here are amazed that cordless mice have batteries. I get at least one ticket a week.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Is that at all common with mimecast? It's on my list to migrate to sometime soon.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
I am wrong every drat day. Makes me wonder how many times in wrong and don't realize it.

I was confidently wrong straight to a VIPs face this morning. Had to sheepishly email her a few minutes later when I noticed I was incorrect.

At lunch she spoke to me again, real slow like I had a brain injury or something.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Are you using 2008R2 level DFS? They made some kind of improvements. It's still scary as hell.

I have DFS in a few places and I'm extremely wary of it. Users' home drives and distributed installation points mainly.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Yeesh. Good luck!

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Some other thread had a story where their 15 minute daily standup when for three hours, and staff were fainting after standing for so long.

Probably complete bullshit, but nevertheless I found it loving hilarious.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
^ I chewed out a few staff before figuring this out. Whoops!

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
I have heard of debian, ubuntu, redhat......

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
That is a sitcom-level turn of events.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Right around the time I started to think I should move on to the next job, we decided to have a baby, and there's just no way any job in the world is going to be as good for taking care of an infant as my current one, so I ain't going noooowhere.

Kids will end you. One way or another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Mandate from the CEO: We will be a digital office! We will use software and be agile and drag our lovely staff into the 21st century!

A noble goal. Good luck to us.

Meanwhile my boss is getting flack that there a too many staff in the IT Department. 2 FTE and one part timer (a designer/social media person).

I guess with all our savvy, 22st century digital staff, we won't need IT support anymore.

What's that in my ticket queue? Someone is trying to send 400mb over email? Again?

Digital!