Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Unions are inherently Democratic organizations unlike an actual Company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

RFC2324 posted:

I don't think he was referring to political parties, but rather the concept of democracy, where everyone gets a say.

Thank you.

If anyone's up for starting a Unionization Thread in D&D I'm all up for it otherwise it's Scope Creep.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Why would anyone send a Calendar Meeting without a reminder?

There a special place in hell for these people.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Patch Notes - "General Improvements and Fixes"

What was improved? What was fixed?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Get Chromebooks with the Citrix Receiver plug-in!

Blam! Best of both worlds!

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ozz81 posted:

I. loving. LOATHE. Salespeople. Especially ones that think they're smarter than they are, and get engineers caught up in a bunch of bullshit with clients while simultaneously evading responsibility for it.

Agreed it's it commonly appears to me that many organizations value sales over development or IT. We are all equals.

On another note, is Microsoft ever going to address MAX_PATH? With OneDrive and the continuation of communication between Windows and Linux I don't see how this can continue to last.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

nielsm posted:

The logistics of a proper fix for MAX_PATH is insane, you have 30 years worth of software with hard buffer length assumptions.
The kernel does support very long paths and applications can use them, but need to call the API differently. Good library support for that would go 80% of the way to make new applications support arbitrary path lengths, but old software and 3rd-party libraries would still have all the problems.

What's stopping Microsoft from doing something special with all new UWP Apps to meet this exact need?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Account Managers.

All my conversations for the past week have been some summarization of "Tab8715 please save the client! I need you fly across the Country and save Contoso Corp. everything is on fire! :supaburn:"

My follow-up inquiry has always been trying to dig deeper to - you know - what is the actual problem - only to be get a deer in the headlights response.

Anyone ever switch from technical to account management? It sounds like it'd be awfully easy...

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Technically, what he wants can be done but it sounds like he's not going outside his technical bounds and pinching pennies.

I'd get the gently caress out.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Sending IT Instructions and/or Screenshots in a Word Document through email.

It's already formatted in HTML put your damned instructions in that!

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Collateral Damage posted:

My support guy keeps telling people to only dock/undock their laptop when it's turned completely off (not in sleep mode), because that's the only way to prevent Windows 7 from throwing a shitfit and bluescreen or cause half of the onboard devices to stop working until you reboot.

HP EliteBook 820

I've seen so many techs recommend the same but it's honestly no different than removing a USB Device. It ought to work.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Jerk McJerkface posted:

At my AWFUL JOB the manager/owner would be furious if I asked a client to confirm their address before I left to go there. He said that 'if you ask them to confirm their address it implies you don't know where they are, and it makes them think we are idiots."

Yeah, you know what makes us look like idiots? Driving two hours to the wrong address. A couple times the clients would have packages shipped to one address, but have their office somewhere else, so I'd drive to their shipping address and find that I was at the home of the IT Director of the client, and he had something shipped to his house for some reason, but had taken it to work with him.

Ha!

My team has 70% travel. We now have a defacto policy to strictly ignore any customer address from CRM and account manager.

We are only to book travel if we get the customers address though email from the contact we're meeting in person.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

While raising a domains functional level seems scary at first I don't I've ever heard of this breaking anything. Not even once.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

The Fool posted:

that being said

Terrible take, I actually really enjoy the SAFe methodology and went through on a huge 18-month project before COVID and I thought it was actually legitimately good.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Even Office 365 enforces MFA on administrative roles and it's free if you less than twenty five users or some such thing. It's way too easy to brute-force passwords or guess someone's password based on their social media profile. You can find their date of birth, parents, siblings or kids names, etc.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

Enforced MFA is good, except when it’s enforced SMS MFA with no option to use TOTP

SMS MFA is still fundamentally better than nothing and cell providers have done a lot to try and stop spoofing. It's not perfect but it's way better than it was a decade ago but SMS is still wildly popular in Asia, Latin America, Africa and Eastern Europe.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

The true way to live is a FIDO2 key and a managed endpoint with everything using SSO, and a company position that nothing is purchased unless it can so SSO with your existing IdP. Maybe even be passwordless.

Maybe one day LiveID/Passport/Hotmail/etc. and even Gmail will support FIDO2 Keys and simply disable passwords.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

guppy posted:

If you want to plan a move off VMWare, your main options are... Hyper-V?

Now days Microsoft is going to sell you Azure or if you have to stay On-Premise it's going to be Azure stack. Or than that I think Nutanix is one of the last few remaining vendors that's in the virt. space.

Microsoft hasn't touched Hyper-V Server since 2019.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ugh,

Even as someone who has money in the bank and a ton of real world experience looking for a new gig sucks. I've started carefully documenting all of the positions I've applied, tailoring my resume for each individual position, reaching out to former colleagues I knew well, etc. and out of twelve solid leads I've gotten two Nays but the rest I'm waiting on feedback and waiting is the worst part out all of this nonsense. :smith:

I also took a year off traveling after getting laid off - is that really that big of a red flag? And I am having a hell of time finding an Azure position for anything.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Agrikk posted:

Or be straightforward-ish: “I took extended time off to recharge, do [very interesting hobbies], and live life. Now I’m fresh, motivated, and ready to kick ads at a new opportunity.”

That's basically it. I haven't take more than two weeks off since college over a decade ago and used my time traveling overseas. My family is also getting older and I helped out with one last family reunion.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Feb 19, 2024

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Looking for a job and interviewing sucks. Time to vent,

• Got to the forth round of interviews with a new consulting company as an architect but they kept constantly rescheduling over multiple months. The recruiter became really impatient and wanted me to have a call at 5PM the day before the 4th of July with no other options. I wanted to start BBQing and enjoy summer. I said no and dropped it.

• IAM Admin role. One interview but I think the recruiter nicked me for not knowing the difference between IAM and IdM with them explicitly focusing on the small "d". The answer they were looking for was one was the management of identities (joiner, leaver, mover) and the other is permission management.

• System Admin role. Smoked the first interview but the guy on the second interview hit me with a bunch of Exchange questions which I know absolutely nothing about at all but that isn't the focus of the position. Didn't get it.

• Another IAM Role. Two interviews. Smoked both of them and they said I did well and I could tell they wanted to hire me but still had interviews. Then went completely dark. No idea. Recruiter doesn't know what's going on either.

• Another IAM Role. Recruiter thought I was fantastic. First round interviews went well then nothing.

• Architect Role. A manager asked me a basic question like "Do you talk to customers?" and my brain went to total deer-in-headlights. I didn't really get what he was asking and I responded with a confused... "Yea, I talk to customers....? I work with them after projects are handed from sales?". I didn't get the job.

I still have interviews and messages from recruiters but everything I've been going for is remote and my options are becoming a little limited. There's still a lot out there, I might cut my losses and move to LA or the the Bay Area.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Mar 12, 2024

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Hughmoris posted:

That sucks. :smith:

These opportunities that are ghosting you, are they remote or onsite? By all appearances, the IT job market is in a rough state except for some extremely talented wizards with loads of work experience. I think the remote-job market is even worse off since everyone and their sister wants to work remotely, and every posted opening immediately receives hundreds of applicants.

One of them finally got back to me, they hit budget problems. The recruiter is disappointed too but they're referring me to other roles. The good news is there is still IT work out there, I'm getting interviews, doing well and people want to hire me.

I've got three interviews scheduled next week. :toot:

Hughmoris posted:

Are you involved in any IT groups or communities? I'm trying to get my foot into the SQL Server and Postgres communities, in hopes I can leverage that network into a job when the time comes. It seems a good path if you don't mind people.

I've been thinking of the ways to improve my situation beyond just getting endlessly watching YouTube Videos about how OAuth works or getting another cert like the SC-300 or MS-102. I started going through the more advanced Cloud Resume Challenge parts for fun but know little about containers but time to learn!

https://x.com/forrestbrazeal/status/1767190221689422295?s=20

klosterdev posted:

I wouldn't move to the Bay for work rn, tech companies have been laying people off en masse for the past two years and guess where most tech companies are situated or have a presence in.

I thought the same but I've got a few legit companies reaching out to me. Granted, it's definitely East Coast TZ biased. I'm more on the IT/DevOps side than Software Development with a lot of experience. They have however made it clear that I would need to relocate and be physically in the office on certain days. Or else.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Mar 17, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Here is how my job hunt is going since it started in January,

Over a hundred applications, a dozen interviews including all the way to technical directors and still no offers but one on the East Coast where I have zero interest in living. :smith: