Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lipumira
May 6, 2007

FIRE!
My 5 and a half year old nephew used to blame the bad things he did on his brain. As in, "My brain told me to hit that kid" and "I want to be good but my brain tells me to be naughty". My sister finally snapped and told him that he IS his brain and his brain is him. And he looked at her like she was crazy.

I told her that we are going to feel like total shits if we find out some day that he's schizophrenic and has been hearing voices this entire time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lipumira
May 6, 2007

FIRE!

Pile of Kittens posted:

This is actually interesting, because I started making that distinction when I was that age. It was sort of how I conceptualized my impulsive/bad thoughts, like when you're standing at the top of a cliff and you sort of want to jump but you really don't want to, but that thought is there just because of morbid curiosity or something? I think it shows great self-awareness and it's a good thing that he's trying to "other" the bad thoughts, like, I'm not having those bad thoughts, they're just something happening to me.

Interesting.. I will have to see how he grows out of/through it. I don't remember having that same thought development.

Lipumira
May 6, 2007

FIRE!
The other day my almost 5 year old nephew and I were telling jokes. I asked him if he knew how knock knock jokes worked, he said yes, and we had the following exchange:

Me: Knock knock!
Him: *pause* Come in!

Okie dokie then.

We went to the zoo yesterday and ended up at the lions - people were pretty excited to see them but when we got there they were sleeping, so all you really got a good view of was, as I said out loud "Sleeping butts". When I asked later what their favorite parts were, the 3 year old said it was the monkeys while the 5 year old told me it was the sleeping butts.

I might be a Bad Aunt.