Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:
My mom brought home a stack of acrostic poetry done by 4th graders at her school. They were told to pick some kind of theme related to Thanksgiving and draw a picture at the bottom, and the vast majority of them were about what you'd expect for 8- and 9-year-olds. Out of maybe 100 papers I looked at, 3 or 4 chose "God" as their word. I get the feeling that a couple of them picked God for the same reasons the handful of "Ham" kids did - it's a short word so they had less to write. One of them actually had some thought put into it.

And then there was the GOD poem. The GOD poem.

At the bottom the kid crudely drew what appeared to be a beam of holy light coming down from between two banks of dark storm clouds, with bolts of lightning shooting from them.

Here is the entire text of the GOD poem:

code:
GOD

Good
Olive
Dumplings
I almost died laughing when I hit that in the middle of all the generic "Turkey" and "Pumpkin Pie" poems about family and eating and football. And no, "olive dumplings" are not a thing as far as I am aware, at least not down here. Those are separate thoughts, like the other poems. ...I think.

Arschlochkind has a new favorite as of 00:26 on Nov 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

Taeke posted:

Once I was standing in line for a roller coaster at the local six flags with my ex, and because she's Spanish we spoke in English.

This opening line was baffling until I hit the part about not speaking in Dutch, haha.

Edit: It's also neat to see Six Flags parks overseas. I guess the corporation just strips away anything to do with Texas outside the US, though?

Arschlochkind has a new favorite as of 19:40 on Nov 26, 2013

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

Atmus posted:

Six Flags in Colorado didn't seem to be Texas themed.

LogisticEarth posted:

Neither is the one in NJ. Some if the parks certainly have America/patriotism themed buts but they're not all Texan Wonderlands it whatever.

The ones here aren't/weren't really Texas themed either, it's just that "six flags" actually means something here. The Six Flags parks I've been to down here (admittedly it's been years since I've been to one) actually had the six different flags flying in the park or near the entrance. Maybe they don't do that any more.

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

Retail Slave posted:

I always felt sorry for the kids who had birthdays on or immediately before/after Christmas. They always got ripped off, present-wise. At least all the ones I knew, anyway.

One of my cousins was born on Christmas Day, and it still sort of sucks for her even though she's in her 30s now and has kids. Every year when we all get together there's always a slow trickle of "Oh yeah, happy birthday..." from the family.

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

vaginal culture posted:

I don't think this actually happened did it

It actually wouldn't surprise me that much. My mom teaches 4th grade and routinely gets stuff like "You know who Spider-Man is?! :aaaaa:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

Doomsayer posted:

The worst wasn't them assuming you didn't know about something current though, it was when they would horribly misjudge your age and ask you about something. I had one student ask me if video games existed when I was a kid. I was 22.

Pththya-lyi posted:

Ignorant, more like. They also tend to assume the reverse, that the technology they take for granted has been around for much longer than it actually has.

My mom is in her 60s and gets both. She had a kid ask her what age she was when she got her first cell phone. "Oh... about 50." "...W-what? :ohdear:"

She likes to tell them about listening to records, and when her stepdad's friend down the street got the first color TV in the neighborhood.

edit: The first time I had a kid tell me I was old was a couple of years back when I told my 9 year old cousin I was born in the 80s and she acted like that was staggering. I look forward to being incredibly old and being that little old man that makes young folks go "Wow, he was born in the NINETEEN EIGHTIES can you believe it?"

Arschlochkind has a new favorite as of 05:02 on Mar 25, 2014