Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

I was reading a bedtime story to my niece when she was 4. Generally she picked a story she'd heard before so she could interrupt with questions to stay up longer until her Dad would scold her. Anyway, one time I'm reading and she asks "Everyone dies someday, don't they? Will mummy and daddy die?"
I don't want to lie to her and it's completely out of the blue, so taken completely offguard I say "yes, but not for a very long time".

:geno: And you'll die?

:( Yes.

:geno: And [the cats]?

:raise: Yes?...

:geno: But not the wall. It doesn't have eyes or ears.

She also confused the word "attic" with "future", so she was getting frustrated that her parents wouldn't show her the future where all the games were.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

When I was younger I remember being fascinated by a friend of my parents who had an artificial arm, which was one of those plastic replacements. I couldn't fathom how she couldn't feel anything through it. At least she didn't seem to mind the questions, unlike the repair man when either my sister or I asked what was on his face (birthmark).

It doesn't make sense to me to get angry at a kid for asking questions about things most adults don't like bringing up, they're not innately born knowing social queues.

To get to recent kid talk, my niece was being teased by her mum about being frightened by "el diavolo", I'm guessing either from Catholic school or cartoons.

:haw: :El Diavolo! Woooh!
:mad: : Well GUESS WHAT, the devil is my friend! He's my best friend and we play at night ALL THE TIME!

I told her maybe not to mention that at school.