Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Teketeketeketeke posted:

My cousin's almost-3 year-old:
"The planets go around the sun but I can open this banana."

(To destroy the profoundness of the statement: his working theory is that she was patiently repeating the scientific information, but was really more interested in eating the banana :3: )
I don't see any planets opening bananas, do you? :colbert:

I was told these two stories about my (autistic) 8yo at his IEP meeting yesterday:

1. When his gym class did archery, he put great effort into paying attention to the directions and doing everything correctly. Meanwhile, the girl behind him was goofing around and didn't know what to do. He turned around and said severely "Did you fail to listen to the instructions?"

2. A teacher was working with him on showing his work in math class instead of just writing the answer. "But I just know the answer!" he protested. She explained that while his brain may get there fast, hers needed to understand the process by steps, and she needed him to explain each step of how he got to the answer so she would know what he was doing. He sighed irritably and said "Stupid people are annoying!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Dekenai posted:

Another time, my mum took the daughter out for the day, so my son and I spent the day doing stuff together. Late in the day:
Son: "What time will (sister) be home?"
Me: "About 7."
Son: (looks at the clock) "Then we have 50 minutes to pack and get out of here."
Your son is brilliant.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

pookel posted:

1. When his gym class did archery, he put great effort into paying attention to the directions and doing everything correctly. Meanwhile, the girl behind him was goofing around and didn't know what to do. He turned around and said severely "Did you fail to listen to the instructions?"
His older brother just corrected me on this - he actually said "I see you have failed to listen to the instructions."

He also told me that the girl next to him in archery (I don't know if this is the same girl) also has a brother in fifth grade, like he does, and she wears blue glasses like he does, and they are also her fourth pair of glasses, just like his! (I thought, "and she's on the spectrum just like you!" although maybe I shouldn't assume that about every detail-oriented child.) I asked him if he knew her name and he just stared at me blankly.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Chamale posted:

They're not using real arrows, right? We weren't allowed to do archery until high school, and someone still managed to shoot himself with an arrow.
Yeah, they're some kind of safety arrows. I asked if they had the suction cups on the end and he said no, but that they were "practice arrows." He hit the target 100% of the time and was so proud of himself. :3:

I would guess there are a lot of spectrum parents on SA, because big goons beget little goons.

ETA another funny story: Last night 8-year-old and a 5-year-old friend were playing in his room with the door shut. 11-year-old threw open the door and shouted "RELEASE THE HOUNDS!" as our little lhasa apso bounced in and jumped on them, as he knew she would. :3:

The Fearsome Hound herself:

pookel has a new favorite as of 23:41 on Apr 17, 2016

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
From a Facebook friend:

quote:

Me to [kid] after the 4th time I dumped a bowl of water that was sitting on the floor in his room:
"Your kitty is imaginary, and therefore it drinks imaginary water. Real water makes messes and makes real mamas angry."

[Kid]: "I don't have any imaginary water! I really did look for it everywhere!"

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
The non sequitur pieces of information are a regular occurrence around here, but this one struck me as particularly funny for some reason:

Me: OK, can you check if the water is the right temperature for your bath?
8yo: Cesium is very expensive. Did you know that it costs up to $22 a gram? :colbert:

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
Facebook just reminded me of this, from five years ago, when my kid was 3 1/2:

quote:

[Precocious autistic kid], examining a Cheeto puff: "This an object with zero corners! That mean it has curves! How many sides it have? A round object have circles all over the place."

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
Simon is my 8-year-old "little professor."

Simon: *drops two rocks of similar size from the same height and watches them fall* "Aha! These two rocks are the same weight."
Me: "But you know, falling objects of different weights still fall at the same speed."
Simon: :rolleyes: "Yes, but lighter objects are more affected by air resistance."

Simon riding a horse on the kiddie carousel like a mini-Napoleon: "Faster! Faster, I say!"

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

bringmyfishback posted:

Some highlights from Rihanna's final exam:
Firstly, goddess Bringmyfishback comes from America. She has amazing boobs. I love beautiful girls with big boobs. Probably I don't have them. I'm pretty sure that I will enjoy these superb boobs. In USA, I can enjoy them all day.
Is it, like, a cultural thing in China for girls to ogle each other's boobs and talk about how much they love big boobs? Or does Rihanna just have a weird boob fixation?

ETA:

quote:

I tell her don't bring any money, because I am rich! but she says "Don't gently caress with me, I don't love your money!" and then I'm no words.
This is what happens when an entire generation learns to speak English from the internet. :(

pookel has a new favorite as of 15:56 on Jun 22, 2016

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
Facebook friend's 6yo:

quote:

'Mom, why did the man shoot Abraham Lincoln in the theater? Was he talking during the movie?'

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
My (autistic, full of random knowledge) 9-year-old was excited to spot this vending machine in the wild. Can you guess why? See under spoiler.

"Look at that font! Look! It's COMIC SANS. I'd know that font ANYWHERE."

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
From Facebook:

quote:

After our first talk about sex and babies my then 4 year old asked me "how did daddy get a new penis after he put his inside of you?"

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

MisterBibs posted:

The kid we babysit noticed a bunch of shot glasses we had drying on the counter, and asked "Why do you have baby glasses?"

I explained that they are called shot glasses, and that they are for big boys and girls when they don't want to drink a lot of something. He seemed to accept that.

Few hours later, his mom calls us. Evidently the kid thinks he's a big boy (at 5), so when asked about what he wanted to drink with his snack, he replied "I'm not too thirsty, can I get a shot glass of apple juice?"
My friend and her kid and I were sitting around the bar in my basement when the kid was about 3. Kid wanted to try her mom's kombucha, so she poured a little into a shot glass. I thought this was cute, so started taking pictures just as the kid gulped it down, grimaced, slammed the glass down, threw her head back and made a series of dramatic faces about how gross it was. You would think from the pictures that we had actually given a preschooler a shot of hard liquor.

Last week, I went out to eat with my kids, and the 9yo was finished first and got bored. He sighed, "I just can't wait till I can go home, take my shirt off, and watch some YouTube."

Apparently my child is a 30-something neckbeard.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Astrofig posted:

So my store got two big coolers full of soft drinks and water a few months back. This morning at work a little 4-year-old brings her bottle of Sprite to the counter, slaps it down and hollers, 'I got a beer!'
I love this kid.

From my Facebook feed:

quote:

That awkward moment when your polling place is in a church and your raised-by-atheists 3-year old loudly criticizes Jesus's wardrobe choices while waiting in line. "That guy should have shoes on. It's so cold!" "Look, he even got holes in his feet from having no shoes. That was a bad decision!"

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

sharktamer posted:

pssst your posts always come across more racist than cute :ssh:
What? No.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
I'm pretty sure I had a similar idea about sitcoms when I was a kid. Only I thought they were called sitcoms because they were comedies about people sitting around, not doing anything important.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

ThatSlacker posted:

My daughter and I were cooking things in the kitchen and I dropped a bit of food. As I picked it up and put it in the garbage she asked "why don't you just push it under the cabinet?" I explained that I'm the one that normally cleans the kitchen and that I'd just have to clean it up later anyway. She replied "I think Mom takes advantage of that."

Yes, yes she does.
You need a dog.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
There was a family sitting behind us at a diner for breakfast the other day, with a little boy who was about 3 or 4. He chattered nonstop the whole time we were there. At one point his mom/aunt/whatever asked the waitress for cream and sugar for her coffee, and he stopped chattering to say "You put cream and sugar in your coffee? Seriously?"

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
My coworker is raising her 3-year-old grandson and I have met him a few times, but I don't see him all the time or anything. However, my house is on their path to work/daycare and she points it out to him. He has concocted a long, elaborate story about how I am his girlfriend, and talks about it every time they drive past my house. :3:

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

lemon-lyme disease posted:

(Sorry. The r/incel thread has damaged us all.)
Please point me to this thread, search is terrible.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

lemon-lyme disease posted:

I was going to say "happily!" but that makes me seem more deranged than I actually am. Not by much, but a little.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3806850&perpage=40

e: phone-posting. I think that link should get you where you wantasked to go.
Yesssss thank you.

I need reading material, the worse the better. This is why I hang out in PYF.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Grand Fromage posted:

Rihanna was one of the ringleaders in a student strike today, where they all took over the office and spent hours yelling at the principal/refusing to go back to class. There's a manifesto taped to the principal's computer and when I left they'd stolen fancy padded chairs from somewhere and replaced the lovely ones in their classroom with them.

This is unrelated to the previous manifesto and not exactly a thing someone said but since there are fans here I thought I'd update.
Which really just makes it more impressive, IMO.

Someone should tell Rihanna that a bunch of internet people think she's a badass.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

sneakyfrog posted:

i think your kids may be Jrpg characters :frogon:
Kids who've grown up with internet and videogames play in the strangest ways. Mine have been playing "levels" and "bosses" and "powerups" since they were old enough to talk.

Also, the autistic kiddo, when he was 3-4 and not talking much, would draw checkmarks or X's in the air to indicate yes or no. He'd learned this from the Windows "Ok" and "Cancel" buttons.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

I feel like some backstory is needed here.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
Is that a self-portrait? And if so, is that a bow on her neck or did she give herself boobs? :3:

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
From a longform I'm reading in Vanity Fair about a scam artist (can't remember if it's from Longforms or from Creepy/Unnerving), this bit from his childhood:

quote:

When Strangis was about three years old and living in a raised ranch house in Brockton, Massachusetts, a suburb of Boston, he pulled a pair of dice out of his pocket and uttered, “Baby needs a new pair of shoes.”

Link, for the curious: http://www.vanityfair.com/style/2016/11/how-sarma-melngailis-became-a-runaway-fugitive

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

U-DO Burger posted:

My five year old daughter and I were reading a book on the human body and she said that if your skin was gone you'd just be a skeleton. I mentioned that this would kill you. She didn't agree.

"Sometimes skeletons can be alive. One time I went to Skeleton Park and a bunch of skeletons attacked me but I defeated all of them because I had 500 HP and they only had 1 HP and then they turned into normal skeletons."

If you'd asked me in 1989 which bits of my nerd hobbies would enter mainstream culture to the extent that small children referenced them casually, I never would have guessed "the hit point system from D&D."

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
Found this last night in my childhood notebooks. Written around age 5/6:

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Subjunctive posted:

You had really good handwriting for 6 years old!
I might have been 7 but yeah, I did. I'd taught myself to read at 2 so that followed pretty naturally. (Can you tell I was looking at these in advance of my autism assessment today? Hyperlexia is apparently a thing in autistic girls especially.)

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I'm gonna a put a third "hi!" into "hyperlexia." What's up, y'all?
Hi! Is there an Autism for Ladies thread on these forums? I have so many questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

omnibobb posted:

I was talking to my son tonight and he told me he was happy for the long weekend and I asked if he knew why it was a long weekend and he said "yeah, its martin luther king junior day." I asked him if he knew why mlk jr gets a day to honor him and he said "yeah, he stopped bad things from happening to brown people." "What kind of things?" I asked.

He goes "Brown people had to use old rusty stuff and white people had new stuff!"
I may have mentioned this in the thread when it happened, but ... for MLK Day a few years back, my kid's 2nd grade class did "I have a dream" worksheets where they were supposed to write about their dreams for making the world a better place. One little girl must not have quite understood the assignment, or what the Civil Rights movement was about, because she wrote "I have a dream that one day, black people can go to Hobby Lobby."