Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
My daughter is only 14 months old, but is already trying to make words because her much older siblings are teaching her constantly. Her word for our three cats is "keet". A few weeks back she was standing at our Hedgehog's enclosure and saying "keet! keet!" so we got him out for her to see up close. He didn't try to hurt her or act afraid but he's still a little pointy so when she tried to pet him she ran her hand against his quills and shouted "OW KEET!" and wagged her finger at him. Ever since then she happily stands at the enclosure saying "ow keet, ow keet" like she's singing a Barney song.

We now only refer to him as "Ow Keet". Not sure what his opinion is on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
My 15 month old daughter is constantly getting into stuff, so I've taught her to hand me anything she has in her hand if I say "thank you". I was warned by my dad that this was a bad idea, and now I know why. This morning she grabbed my (thankfully empty) coffee cup and ran off with it shouting "FANKOO! FANKOO!" and laughing at me.

My dad laughed at me too.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
Yesterday I was at a friend's house and her four year old was playing with paint without mom's permission. She went to her daughter and told her to put it away. The girl put her hands on her hips and said "You don't meet my EXPECTATION!" and walked away with her hand in the " talk to the hand" position. I didn't even try to hide my laughter.

The other day I pointed at the cat and asked my toddler what it was. She called it "ouch" and really carefully petted it.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
My son loves the Macklemore song "Same Love" and the subject matter opened up an opportunity for discussion about the Civil Rights Movement and what happened to black people in the 60's. Everything went great until we were at WalMart and he pointed at the water fountains and shouted "Mom is the little one for the black people?"

...on MLK Day. Jesus.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

Speedboat Jones posted:

I'm teaching my students how to write a persuasive argument paper.

Me: "You might have never had to write a persuasive argument paper for school, but I bet you're all posting PS4 vs. Xbox One arguments on reddit when you're at home."
Some students: "OMG our teacher knows about reddit?!" *high five each other*

It took a good 2 minutes to get them to calm the hell down about me knowing what a website is.

Kids have such weird ideas about teachers' lives outside of school, don't they?

Once when my oldest daughter was 7 I told her we were going to stop by her teachers house to pick up some worksheets and she was totally flabbergasted.

Kid: Miss Martin lives in a HOUSE?
Me: Of course she does baby, why wouldn't she?
Kid: why doesn't she live in school like the other teachers?
Me: Teachers don't live at school, they have houses just like everyone else.
Kid: Mommy...Stop RUINING MY UNIVERSE! *said with genuine upset and lots of tears*

Once we got there she went up to Miss Martin and said "I'm sorry I didn't know you were normal." Then she ran off crying again.

The funniest part of all of this is that my husband is a teacher and lives at home, and it never occurred to her.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
Me and my toddler yesterday:

Me: where's mommy's pen?
Her: chip?
Me: no chip, where's my pen?
Her: no chip?
Me: no.
Her: no pen.
She isn't even two yet.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

IAmNotYourRealDad posted:

I took my 3 year old daughter to one of those picture places at the mall because we had a coupon.

How did she react when you told her you weren't her biological father? Also does she know you like wearing dresses?

When my daughter was potty training she locked herself in the bathroom for an hour. I went to the door to check on her and she yelled "Leave me ALONE I'm thinking about my LIFE!" and when I started laughing she stormed out shouting "I never get my PIE-VASS-EE!"

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

IAmNotYourRealDad posted:

I am her biological mother so thankfully, she figured it out on her own in time :ssh:

I know, I was just riffing on your user name! Your kid sounds adorable btw.

My toddler kept giving me things yesterday, then saying "no!" and taking them back. I couldn't figure out why until my husband pointed out that I wasn't saying "thank you". After I did that she let me keep what she gave me. Also her new favorite thing to call everyone is "pest" because my husband called her that when she wouldn't stop trying to feed the birds outside by attempting to climb out the window.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
Today my toddler was enjoying the hell out of her Easter basket and was so sticky she had to have a bath by noon. She really REALLY loves baths. Well after dinner, we had coconut cake and she immediately took a massive handful of whipped cream and smeared it in her hair, looked up at me with a huge grin and shouted BATH!

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
Personally I think it's a great idea to take your kids to the Animal Shelter to volunteer as animal caregivers. It gives the animals there the affection they need and helps teach kids to nurture and sympathize with other beings. However it's also vital that you tell the kid BEFORE you take them that you want to go just to volunteer some affection, not take one with you. My kids all volunteered at some point, and never bitched about going because they knew what they were going for. It made the day we surprised them by actually picking one out all the better.

But seriously, you didn't tell her you weren't getting her a dog? The gently caress is wrong with you?

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
Happened to me at work:

Me: Are you ready for Santa?

Little 3 or 4 year old kid: *runs to my side of the counter and whispers* Actually Santa is really my daddy but DON'T tell the babies!

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
You need to write a book about this. Seriously every post is amazing.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
Our cat Teddy recently died.

Eowyn (5): "Mommy where is Teddy?"

Me: "Remember honey, he died and went into the clouds?"

Eowyn: "Because he's a superhero! He's fighting the bugs in the sky!"

(She really really hates bugs.)

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
Another thing is we teach her that when a pet dies they go up into the sky and turn into clouds. So we like to look up and find all the animal shaped clouds. One day we were at the store and in the parking lot and said:

"Mommy look that looks like a DICK. Look at that DICK cloud!"

After some prodding and many disgusted stares from old ladies shopping, I determined she meant stick insect.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
More something he did rather than something he said:

I asked my 2 year old son to go get the tissues on my dresser.

He shouts "Yes! I DO IT!" And runs off.

A couple of minutes later he returned with..
Two shoes.

I guess I need to work on my pronunciation, but the Two Ronnies would be proud of him

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
4 year old son:
Blippi says Raphael is radical but that's Splinter not Raphael!

...I'll be really loving happy when youtube stops shoving POLITICAL ADS in kids videos.
At least he knows his Ninja Turtle lore.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
For some reason my 8 year old has taken to calling males Fudge Cake as an insult.
My 4 year old's favorite sentences all start with "actually"

This happened today:

Eowyn: Ethan you're so annoying you FUDGE CAKE!

Ethan: Actually I'm a human I have skin not fudge.

Eowyn: Stop being a dumb fudge cake boy!

Ethan: Actually Mommy likes fudge cake so I'll be a fudge cake cause she will love me more than you YOU SKIN CAKE!

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

Beachcomber posted:

Please tell me those are fake names.

Ah yes the totally strange and unusual "Ethan".
Also Eowyn is an old English name and seeing as how my husband is an old English I'd kindly like to ask you to mind your own drat business and stop being a fudge cake.

Stairs has a new favorite as of 15:01 on Mar 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
My logic is that Eowyn was the most awesome character in a book series that actually caused me and my husband to meet (at the LOTR Oscar Party in LA) and the books are done so it's not gonna blow up in my face like Kahleesi would.
Also silly me for thinking this thread was about funny poo poo kids say and not about the opinion of said funny kid's lovely parents.