Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

My older nephews L & E (11 & 10) were visiting my parents, and my sister came by with my older nephew H (2). Dinner was being prepared, but every time E was even close to standing up, H made an extra-adorable face "E do you wanna play with me?" :kiddo: like 10 times, he said that

H also has a thing where he'll go "I'm gonna get cozy" and he gets on the couch and gets blankets and pillows and sits up very straight like it's a serious thing to get cozy :kimchi:

Wish I had something to say about L & E but I wasn't there. I have to make do with pictures & facetime & summaries until covid is over :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

sleeping outside & listening to the the rain drum on your tent is amazing. one of the best things i experienced as a kid

i was not a big fan of my pillow fort being drummed on by piss

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

tribbledirigible posted:

This raises some questions.

no kindshaming

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

tik tok is vine, op

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

ah hell my nephew learned a new word: "Annoying"

imo the problem is i cant stop him stop except by lying. i dont want to lie and tell my nephew that im not annoying.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Last week I was playing a tabletop game with my parents while they looked after my siste's son H (2y). He was sitting next to dad and talked about his big "bag of figures" (smurfs, lego, animals). He likes to put them on the table one by one while telling us something about each one, "he's surprised about the bear!", "this one is hungry because I ate his eggs hahaha", etc, while we comment on them "oh was he hungry? Maybe there are more eggs in the bag?"

Btw he calls Miss Piggy "Mads Piggy" (like Mads Mikkelsen — the D is silent so it's pretty close, also his dad has a cousin named Mads).

Anyway, suddenly he wanted my dad to make a gesture with his hand. He repeatedly showed it and went "do like this with your hand grandpa" and grandpa replicated it, but H got more and more frustrated because it wasn't what he meant.

Poor guy had some idea in his head about a very specific gesture that he couldn't execute himself, and couldn't explain either.

He was thrusting his arm out, bent down at the wrist with the palm out & fingers spread. Who knows what image he had in his head though, I wonder what it was.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

marshmallow creep posted:

My wife, laughing so hard she pulled something.

Me: "We better not make momma laugh anymore or she's gonna die."

My son, no hesitation: "Knock, knock!"

lmao

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Alhazred posted:

Wait, Mads Mikkelsen is pronounced Mass Mikkelsen? What the gently caress?

duhhh yeah obviously :rolleyes:

but only kinda. its not a long flat A as in mass, its a short flat A. the closest analogue i can think of is an american saying "malcontent" but instead of -lcontent its just S

e: im searching youtube for clips where he says his name

e2: i guess this will have to do:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLMZdbVtzQQ&t=2s

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 18:54 on Mar 19, 2021

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

I'm pretty sure Danes are chill with any pronunciation you'll use for their words. Theirs is a nation all who's default setting is laid back unbotheredness. Besides, they don't know how to pronounce it themselves anyway.

speaking for my countrymen: no*, no**, yes

* racism
** ut supra

if youre white we dont care its fine. my friends white dad has lived here since at least late 1980s and he still just speaks american at everybody.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

went to pick up my nephew at kindergarten & some kid came up to me

:kiddo: whats your moms name?
:) hi! it's [name]. whats your moms name?
:kiddo: mom.
:kiddo: um.. i forgot

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

a mysterious cloak posted:

Saw a patient the other day, his 4 year old daughter was with him and remembered me from a few weeks ago.

She quickly told me:

"I'm going to be 5 soon, and I'm growing a little every day, and can you come visit me?"

:3:

did her voice go way up? ive noticed my nephew does that like "do you wanna come play with me maybe?" its so cute

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Some recent quotes from my nephew (2.5yo)

In my parents yard & the friendly neighbor lady came over by the hedge to say hi, so my dad asked if he wanted to go visit. Nephew says "That's a pretty good idea. That doesn't sound half bad!" and beelines for the neighbor's

Another day he got a glass of milk & said "you know, I actually quite like milk."

NB: These are my bad attempts at translating his weirdly old-fashioned and detailed Danish to English, but I definitely didn't talk all fancy like that when I was 2.5 lol

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

The Lord Bude posted:

Must be a pretty sheltered 11 year old.

:shhh: he doesnt have the internet & gets all memes via printouts from his parents

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

at dinner:
:kiddo: (dramatic whisper) a monster is coming...
:v: oh no, it's gonna eat your sausages!
:kiddo: noo, monsters only eat gross stuff. like mud

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

3yr nephew: i made dinner (playdough), can we heat it up in the michaelbullymachine?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Astrofig posted:

"There are so many small substances!!!!"

love when kids pick up weird multisyllable words

my 3 year old nephew called himself pensionskassedirektør (pension fund manager) the other day. because he had a lot of those lick-on tattoos, which obviously pension fund managers have a lot of.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

eating only apples posted:

"Daddy doesn't wike swimming. Daddy doesn't even fit in the bath."

:owned:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

3 year old nephew melting down

:cry: I don't know what I want, but I want for me to know what I want ("jeg ved ikke hvad jeg vil, men jeg vil have at jeg skal vide hvad jeg vil")

same, kiddo. same.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

My nephew (4) to my sister, early in the morning: alright mom, maybe you should turn down the charm a notch

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

reminds me of my friend picking up his son (7-ish?), some other kid yells "hey old man, your life will soon be over!"

hes way younger than me, only like 39 :negative:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

poo poo sticks sometimes: a couple decades ago when i was still a teenager, i was at the grocery and a woman was packing her bags. her toddler was like "mom help me with the step" over and over and i felt bad for the mom so i helped the kid down the step, and they were like "mom! the man helped me!" and the mom was like "thank you" and i thought "uhhh im not a man, im barely 18 but thanks anyway" but i felt some pride about that for a bit, enough to remember anyway

weird

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

lmao time for goth

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Yeah just kill the current santa

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Preface: in Danish, grandparent nomenclature are basically "mormor" mom-mom for maternal grandmother, "farmor" dad-mom for paternal grandmother, etc

But my niece has mixed it up a bit and instead of "morfar", she calls her maternal grandfather "forfar" which means "ancestor"

Also she says "søsyg" (seasick) when she means "tørstig" (thirsty)

She'll get it soon enough, she's only idk 18 months but I love that period where communicating is still like learning a foreign language even for the so-called adults :kiddo:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

lol yea whenever a kid notices you have a scar or a scab, theyll go point to it and go "ouch" and maybe blow on it to make it better. my nephew even put a bandaid on like a 10 year old scar on my leg a couple years ago

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Calexio posted:

So I was talking to one of my kids today while waiting for the music teacher to appear. We were talking about Studio Ghibli films and which is better: Princess Mononoke or Spirited Away?

Me: In Mononoke there's some pretty violent fights! I was surprised!
Her: You know, Mr Calexio?
Me: Yeah?
Her: I want to - just one time - kill a person. Just one time!
Me: :stare:
Her: But just one time!
Me: Why?!
Her: I want to know that feeling.

lmao kid rules

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

oh also my dad told me about one time when his younger brother was a preschooler, he went over to a neighbors house where some of my dad's friends lived. he knocked and their mom answered the door,
:kiddo: can Anders come play?
:chanpop: he's in school, dear
:kiddo: ok... can Peter come play?
:chanpop: he's also in school.
:kiddo: ok...
:kiddo: can their dad come play?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

yep. top 5 booty wiggle song imo

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

a 2 year old saw my dad at the grocery yesterday and was like "Kleo's mom!"

recognized him from when he sometimes picks up my sister's daughter Kleo from childcare, pretty sharp kid that one

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

lotta rookie scammers there

also my boomer dad just says "i dont have a computer/telephone/whatever"

btw for some reason ive literally never gotten a scam phone call, and ive had this phone number for at almost 20 years. one time i thought i got one cause someone called and talked about a phone plan so i said not interested and hung up and the guy immediately called back and very quickly said something like "cmon man im not selling, its just we're shutting down the plan youre on" and i said send me the papers and hung up again and blocked the number

they never did send me any papers, but my subscription dropped from iirc 119 to 89 dkk a month so i made out alright on that

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 10:35 on Mar 2, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

some mischief from my 2.5 year old niece over the weekend

I picked her up and she went "you're too heavy" so I figured she was just repeating a thing adults say when they pick her up & went "no, you're not". Nope, she fired right back with "Carthag, you are too heavy." :owned:

Also, someone said "chocolate ice cream" on the tv, so she repeated that, then said "strawberry ice cream .... poo poo ice cream" and made a crooked smile lol

oh also, her brother (5) said "that reminds me of that time I raised the dead" about something that did not involve necromancy

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 20:26 on May 13, 2024