Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I loved the hell out of gunpla builders. It didn't take itself seriously at all and was really fun with good battles so I'm hoping for more of the same.

I don't care what anyone says poo poo like this was amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Sakurazuka posted:

Not sure if I should be worried that Bandai will give up on serious Gundam shows if this is popular or hope that they do, any more.

The origin is still coming out along with g-reko. Combined with the insane amount of money unicorn has been giving Bandai, I don't think you should worry about bandai giving up on serious gundam.

Dessel posted:

I've watched quite a few Gundam series but I still don't know jack about different gundam models at all, and the premise sounds utterly terrible.

That being said, this trailer introduced me to a rapier fencing gundam complete with a somewhat proper stance for rapier fencing. What is that model?!

It's not a gundam but I think you're thinking of the Gyan.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

Whats the over/under on the tallgeese appearing

I know the tallgeese isn't a gundam/a zaku/ piloted by char so the japanese don't care about it but gosh the tallgeese is so cool

e: and I mean the good tallgeese. None of that blue trim bullshit

pretty sure japan likes the tallgeese considering it's gotten a robot damashii, a mg and an web store only tallgeese II that sold quite well if I remember correctly.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I like the detail of having wing's decapitated neck look exactly like a gundam model kits neck, complete with a ball joint.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I really liked this show, not surprising because I was one of the few people around here who was excited for the show when it came out. I liked some of the humor in it, like with the opening scene and the fights are very well done and nicely animated. It's a fun silly show and I hope they can keep it up.

But man, I really wish gunpla stores like Sei's existed in North America. For over a decade I've had to go online to get my fix :smith:. Although considering it takes me a month to build and paint a kit, I'd be terrified of actually joining a gunpla battle.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Caros posted:

Fo Its entirely possible that Build Fighters is going to go AGE on us and absolutely poo poo the bed once it gets past the clever opening, but done well this could make for a really, really good gundam show about little plastic robots.

Age was pretty bad from the get-go. It had a 14 year old working to design a mobile suit and him figuring out that the Vegans were going to attack soon. Instead of telling the leader of the colony, someone he's close with, he only tells his teacher who dismisses him.

So right now build fighters first episode is way better then age's.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Considering they'll be making a hg turn A, I wonder what abilities it will have if it shows up. If it's got the moonlight butterfly then the gunpla it's fighting against is pretty much screwed.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I find it funny that people complain that they won't do "anything crazy like G-Gundam ever again" when G-gundam's whole countries fight in a big tournament was a direct mandate from Bandai. Imagawa had no choice but to include it. He then added the devil gundam and then made the story work.

I think the main problem is that gundam has a lack of competent writers and directors. The last good gundam series was arguably 00, a series I enjoyed from beginning to end. At least build fighters looks promising.

Although this should likely go in the general gundam thread.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Couple of thoughts

1. Op is really, really great. It's really obari like and it's just fantastic. Ending is quite good as well. I like the human/gundam hybrid.
2. I like how they made Reiji kind of a dick and not just some magic nice genie. I laughed with him just taking over the bed and just going "I paid you back once, now forget about it."
3. It was a little thing I liked, but most shows would have glossed over the fact that a school had a gunpla arena, but at least they gave a semi-plausible explanation as to why they had one.
4. glad the sumo didn't get completely punked.
5. The fights is this series are quite dynamic and sure as hell beat the boring rear end age fights.
6. It looks like their going to address Reiji's deal pretty quickly.

As other people have said, this show is fun and you can tell the guys working on this are having a blast.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Oct 14, 2013

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

BlitzBlast posted:

Let's just be glad we didn't get something from a Filipino modeler.

If you're curious, that thing used to be the Sazabi.

This thing is ugly as all hell but that is really amazing on a technical level. I'm actually quite impressed.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I like how if you look closely, you can tell that ral used the old lovely gouf model from the early eighties during his fight with Sei. The elbows and knees don't move and it's got a similar blocky styling.

The little details in this show are nice.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

muike posted:

Katz's death is hilarious.

fixed that for you. But if he did show up I'm hoping he'd be some whiny mook that China could take out in her first fight.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Either Mao brought a airbrush/spray can with him or he hand painted the white trim on the kyshatria, which I commend him for, because handpainting white is hard as hell, not to mention how tiny the trim is. He must have steady hands to do that in a truck.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

God drat that fight was incredible. Such a great back and forth and fantastically animated and directed.

If their heading for the world tournament already, I'm wondering if this show will only be 13 episodes.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Gammatron 64 posted:

I love it how there's a big fight in Madison Square Garden with thousands of fans in the audience when in reality barely anybody cares about Gundam in the US. Or... even outside Japan for that matter.

I dunno, I could see gunpla becoming big if those sort of fights happened in real life.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Bimmi posted:

Kid is totally going to grow up to be a crazy art lady and is awesome.

Would be nice if she had a proper role model in the show, I've been watching the older episodes and the treatment of the female characters in ep4 was loving appalling.

I think appalling is going a little far, considering she just wanted a ticket to be famous.

China's not so bad either and the mom's fun. Plus Aila looks extremely competent.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Bimmi posted:

A fair point, but even those shows had female characters who weren't just there to adore the hero, be cartoonishly evil or wave their tits around, i.e. characters who might actually be relatable and positive for girls viewing the show. Nothing of the sort on display in GBF as of yet.

I don't know if Aila can be categorized as completely evil yet. There hasn't been anyone in the show yet that's just completely evil. We'll have to wait on China- she may turn out to be a decent builder/pilot.

I'll withold judgment on the shows treatment of female characters until later.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Gammatron 64 posted:

You got me there, I forgot about the idol episode. Yeah, that was pretty bad. Starting going into FAKE NERD GIRL territory. Other than that though, it's been fairly tame.

Yeah, 0080 might be the last Gundam show I've seen where there wasn't anyone I wanted to see die in a fire. That was made in... what, 1989?

who'd you hate in G-gundam?

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

When I first heard about this show I expected it to be pretty silly but have fun mech fights. It definitely has those two things in spades, but I am really surprised much I'm enjoying the characters in this show.

Felini immediately hitting on Kirara and then blowing it by getting smashed and nerding about gundam was hilarious. Also him starting the first day of the world tournament hungover was great.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Dec 9, 2013

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

BlitzBlast posted:

The first box set has been announced.

As you might expect, there are two versions. Limited Edition has a booklet, some video shorts, staff commentary, and in case you were actually thinking of getting this a clear 1/100 MG Build Strike. It'll come out in March for 31,500 yen. For the more sane people, the regular edition will come out Christmas for 2940 yen.

If they were including the OST with the Limited Edition I might have actually bit the bullet and bought it, but thankfully they didn't.

oh boy clear kits, the ugliest of all the special edition kits. I would love to hear the audio commentary on these episodes though, It seems like they'd be interesting.

" well in this scene we did this, because we thought it'd be fun"

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I love how this show makes fun of all those e "serious" gundam cliches with stuff like the " masked guy's slow dramatic unmasking" with Yuuki looking exactly the same and everyone wondering what the hell he's doing and the " I devoted all my energy to beating you!" because fellini stole all those guys girlfriends.

And by god bandai, you better gives us an mg of fellini's wing gundam, with the core booster.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

she's using clear plastic funnels, the ultimate in cheap gunpla tactics.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I'm guessing he does that since it shows the amount of panel lines clearly, where it can be harder to tell by just using gray.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Yeah at first I was wondering why they didn't shoot the tank, but it makes sense given they were so close to the finish line and only had the railguns available. Also really love how goofy the main bad guy is, what with him dancing around after Sei and Reiji lost. I hope the gunpla hitman comes back.

Edit- As for cameos If you look closely you can see a genderbent heero and sarah.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jan 13, 2014

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Kurieg posted:

When? Cause that sounds kind of hilarious.

right after the three way battle.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I can appreciate a song that says its okay to enjoy stuff you did as a kid. I've been doing gunpla for 13 years now, and I still enjoy the hell out of it.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

The quality of the fights in this show are pretty drat incredible. They fight smart and absolutely no holds barred. It's such a 180 from age, where the fights were repetitive boring and poorly choreographed.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I can see why Fellini wouldn't throw the fight because his whole motivation is proving he has the strongest gunpla around. So having him just voluntary give up a fight would go against his nature- he wants to win all of his fights.

Besides both him and Reiji wanted to seriously fight one another in the world tournament, so it makes sense why he wouldn't take it easy on them.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

While build fighters is much better, I still enjoyed the builders ova. Everything involving the char knockoff was great. I also enjoyed the zaku fight and some other stuff was funny, like the super small big zam. It that the kid starts not knowing how to make a good looking gunpla. It's a nice little reflection of every modeller's start.

But yeah the special parts the beginning 30 got was pretty dumb.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Red and black can be good for color scheme, like johnny ridden's zaku, but one color should be the dominate one. This one just seems like a loving mess.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

The fight was enjoyable, even if a bit of an asspull at the end. I was more interested in the character development this episode and learning a little more about Mao, and his parts were fun. So I still think it was a good episode. Still I'm a bit sad that Luang got beaten offscreen,that sucks.

Also Mao's master is great and I want to see more of him.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

tsob posted:

It actually annoys me a little bit that Luang lost the way he did because Sei was able to spot the Zeon toy soldiers moving in a dark, rain filled and rather cluttered environment that was zoomed out from the stands, yet Luang couldn't see them in a bright, empty one only a couple of feet away from him. It's just a silly inconsistency. They really could have done that part better if that's what was going to take him out.

Luang was getting shot and and focused on getting in, yuuki was specifically waiting for something to happen and their sensors detected movement.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

boom boom boom posted:

Absolutely. The Kampfer Amazing sucks, and Reiji and Sei already fought Yuuki.

Well now their fighting the meijin, not yuuki so it's all good.
Also the kampfer amazing is cool as hell, what's the matter with you. :mad:.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I liked this fight, it was more straight up dbz then the tactical stuff last episode. I generally prefer the latter, but it was a nice change of pace.

Although Why didn't sei give the build strike a machine gun or something, it's hard to cut through a hail of bullets. Also I think sei is going to bankrupt his parents shop considering how many times he's had to rebuild parts of the star build strike :v:

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

AradoBalanga posted:

Man, the staff weren't kidding about Sengoku Astray being a bitch to animate. Half the fight was in total black shading just to get around all of this. I can only imagine how the DVD/BD version will look.

I'm guessing when they started making the designs for the show, they saw the design and thought it was so cool looking they kept it. They only later realized "gently caress this thing is so complicated, how are we going to animate it?"

edit V- the destiny remaster still has ads for mg's and rg's that are over a year old, so it's not surprising.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Feb 18, 2014

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

TaurusOxford posted:

At least it'll end as a good memory in our hearts. :)
Yeah unless this show starts taking a serious nose dive(which I doubt) we'll at least have a good gundam show that we can look back on. It'll help us forget that AGE ever existed.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

BlitzBlast posted:

By the way, more information about the Exia Dark Matter has come out.

Turns out it's the Gunpla that beat Takeshi's RX-78-2 in the 2nd World Championship.

Well that fucks with the timeline a little bit because 00 came out after the first plastky particles were discovered and the tournaments started running

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

BlitzBlast posted:

He basically did it at the end of this episode. Either that or he's a really fast sprinter who just happens to carry his Beginning around everywhere.

Considering he managed to run up and up to the stage and get set up, he really must have teleported. Sei and the rest of the gang didn't even notice he was gone until he started fighting Aila. How else could Reiji pull that off?

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Or the rest of the group was mesmerized by the brutal stomping that was happening and Reiji was just Reiji and acted first instead of watching?

You're reading too hard into it. Mostly because if he loving teleported into the middle of the stage at a World Championship the crowd would have seen and poo poo their collective pants about it.

I was joking about the whole teleporting thing, I just thought it was funny that nobody noticed Reiji running up to the stage when he was at the back of the group.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

As others have said, this is likely one of the best cyber newtype/ tragic female pilot plotlines in all of gundam. So many of them seem to forget that just having the archetype isn't enough, you have to develop the character and make the viewers care about her.

As dumb as this sounds, throughout the episode hoping that Aila would get a happy ending and I thought the ending scenes with her were just adorable.

• Locked thread