Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I really want this and The Origin to air on TV in the US because I wish Gundam was a thing over here. And not just Gundam Wing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Bimmi posted:

Even if somehow this series were to do reasonably well in the US, you'd just have a repeat of the Wing situation inasmuch as there would be (in all likelihood) no proper followup to build on its success, and the usual confused mess of timelines, continuities, age and tone that makes up the rest of the shows will ALWAYS keep this property from achieving any kind of mass appeal over here.

As for the merchandise, I would be very surprised if your typical 9-year-old American kid even knows what a model kit is, or had any interest in building one. Scale modeling has been a dying hobby in the US for a long time, and the last domestic Gundam blitz did nothing to turn that trend around.

And frankly, I can't see GBF as anything but a depressingly generic toy commercial that is absolutely dependent on an ecosystem of prior product which does not and never will exist outside of its established markets. If more accessible shows like G Gundam and SEED failed to catch on in America, I don't see what chance this sort of thing could possibly have.

Yeah, you're probably right. Nothing over than Wing caught on here, and that's a goddamn shame.

I think they waited way too long to try bringing Gundam over. Most of Gundam draws on the original and Zeta, and by 2000 kids didn't want to watch some weird show with 1970's animation.

Even if they put The Origin in a good timeslot on Cartoon Network, it still probably wouldn't catch on as even though the animation would be updated, the designs and outfits etc. are still very 1970's. Japanese classics like Lupin the Third, Gundam, Detective Conan and Cyborg 0079 are great, but kids and the majority of American anime fans don't want to see that. :(

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

Whats the over/under on the tallgeese appearing

I know the tallgeese isn't a gundam/a zaku/ piloted by char so the japanese don't care about it but gosh the tallgeese is so cool

Not piloted by Char?

I dunno, this guy sure looks a lot like Char to me.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

Yeah, for a clown to pilot at the circus. White, black and gold are all you need.

I dunno a clown pilots this thing and it's pretty loving awesome dude so I dunno what your point is:

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Demicol posted:

I didn't know there was this awesome of a kit for Heavyarms, I might have to buy this :ohdear:
I have a HG of the main Gundam from the first Gunpla anime that I still haven't touched too.

Yeah, they've done a bunch of MGs of the first versions of the Gundams from Wing if they appeared in Endless Waltz.

What's weird though is out of the EW MGs, only the Wing Zero, Deathscythe Hell, and normal Deathscythe (in a flashback) actually appear in Endless Waltz. I dunno though, as I haven't seen Wing\Endless Waltz since it came out in the states, so it's probably been 13+ years.

Maybe they'll do a Altron, Sandrock Kai and Heavyarms Kai sometime, I dunno.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Ethiser posted:

Ramba Ral is in this show. If it keeps things up this show might turn into one of my favorite Gundam shows.

Ramba loving Ral was a really pleasant surprise. I rather enjoyed this first episode.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

All I can think of is how much time and effort it takes to build and paint a model and make it really look good, only for them to completely trash them in Gunpla Battles. They're not cheap, either.

No, the fact that they pretty much use anime magic to make their gunpla come alive isn't the part that's bothering me and breaking my suspension of disbelief, it's the fact that anybody would wanna do it when there's a 50/50 chance that model you spent so much time on is gonna get destroyed.

I'd imagine if somebody blew up a MG Sazabi or The O the other person would probably be so livid they'd jump over the table and punch them in the face.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

SpikeMcclane posted:

I actually really liked it for that very reason. If you look at the aftermath it's just popping them apart at the joints, so no physical damage beyond possibly chipped paint (which you could see did happen) and I felt bad for the lil dude since they had just played up how much effort he put into it. It's pretty much super advanced Warhammer right down to "Yo, jackass, get your horrible ham hands off my model!" and player attitudes.

Yeah, I was under the impression that parts were literally being sliced in half rather than just popping off the ball joints \ polycaps, because it looked like they sliced right through the Gyan with a beam saber and the parts where it cut were glowing orange and everything.

TaurusOxford posted:

Imagine if there were PG competitions. Strike Freedom would fall apart within 30 seconds. :v:

There's only a few kits to choose from and a PG match would probably end in physical violence. Especially if you broke Camille Bidan's PG Zeta. If you told him he has a girl's name to add insult to injury he would honest to God murder you for real.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Yeah, G Gundam took a little while to get going.

I'm hesitant to compare this to G Gundam because I don't want to get people's hopes up, but I'm cautiously optimistic that this will be at least moderately entertaining and hopefully not frustrating.

Also Reiji totally has to be from space.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Even the original Gundam was designed to sell toys, it's just that the toyline bombed, and they later decided to make some movies and model kits which were accidentally a hit.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Schneider Heim posted:

Except that Tomino did it most reluctantly. If he didn't need to sell toys then he would have gone along his own ideas.

I quite like the stories of the staff trying to jeopardize the producers' evil, money-grubbing demands (see: the ending of Might Gaine, the drab enemy mobile suit designs of Victory, and the weird-rear end G Gundam mechs). Or Gundam Sousei, even if it's dramatized to the point of hyperbole. Nowadays it feels like the directors are wholly on-board with the thing, making sure the story doesn't get too much in the way of the show being a toy advertisement.

Yeah, the story of Gundam has always been one of Tomino fighting against the merchandizing end of Sunrise. ...sadly that's a battle Tomino eventually lost, and Gundam is sort of a shell of what it was in the 80s and 90s. :smith: If you ever want to see what Gundam would have been like without a big push to sell toys, check out Tomino's Gundam novels. While the English translations are pretty bad, the stories are a little more mature and realistic. Tomino himself admits that he wish he didn't kill off Amuro in them, though and wouldn't have had he known that Gundam would become popular.

Bimmi posted:

These are the same breed of well-manicured tubers who were busy ramming Disney into the dirt a decade ago, and I doubt anything short of a massive regime change would do anything to solve that. Something like MSG or even G Gundam wouldn't get made today, because it wouldn't occur to them to even try.

They certainly seem pretty conservative. I don't really expect to ever see something as crazy and ballsy as G Gundam or Turn A ever again. The problems with SEED Destiny and AGE go way beyond a mere desire to play it really safe though, it's just downright ineptitude.

Unicorn is pretty darn good though, and I have faith in an anime version of The Origin though, because hey, somebody else already wrote the stories to them, so it's not like they're dreaming up some more crap on their own. Maybe they should just let somebody else write manga \ light novels from now on and if they're any good, just take the stories from those instead of trying to do their own.

GET IN THE ROBOT fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Oct 10, 2013

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

To be fair, it's been a while since I saw 0079, but I think there were a lot of kinda wormy looking Zeon guys with mustaches like that.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Well, there's that Tenkai Knights show on cartoon network in the mornings and that's basically SD Gundam meets Lego.

Gundam models are a thing that probably won't catch on in the states though as gunpla just isn't really something for young kids, at least in America, because you don't really want to give a 6 year old an x-acto knife and model paints.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

I used to twist the pieces of the runners of Gundam Wing kits when they were actually in stores like a drat neanderthal, but I was like 12\13 at the time and didn't know any better!

If you ever catch somebody doing that, whack 'em across the head and then hand 'em a pair of nippers and a hobby knife.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

I've never seen more that a couple episodes of Victory (and remember being really loving confused by the first episode), but I like Haman Karn, Sayla Mass and Emma Sheen a lot. Okay, yeah, they both get killed off eventually, but I thought they were pretty decent characters. Ellen Ripley is like the #1 strong female character in cinema and even she dies eventually (like a total badass I might add, that was one of the few good things about Alien 3.)

Honestly, in my book Haman Karn is one of the best Gundam bad guys along with Char and Master Asia, and I'm hoping Quebely girl is an analog to Haman as Zaku Amazing dude is sort of Char-like. I'm not a huge fan of ZZ, but Haman is a really cool baddie. Although it IS really loving weird and gross how an adult woman gets the hots for 14 year old Judau.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Caros posted:

Its the Newtype hots though, and those have been shown to be completely irrational and hosed up even when they aren't an adult woman and a teenage boy.

Yeah, the Newtype hots tends to be really loving weird most of the time (hello crazy as all gently caress Four Murasame). I love Tomino and think he's awesome when it comes to a lot of stuff, but when it comes to writing romance he's probably only slightly above George Lucas.

Of course, while Haman and Judau is creepy and weird, it's not like it isn't something that doesn't happen in real life - you do have female teachers that bang their students every once and a while. ZZ also had some uh... very weird scenes with Elpeo Ple, too. Man, you know, come to think of it, ZZ is a loving creepy rear end show. You think ZZ is the funny, happy Gundam show, but jeez, that stuff really kinda bothers me and makes me uncomfortable.

You know, come to think of it, I'm not sure how much I like Haman now.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Endorph posted:

To be fair, that one isn't Tomino's fault. The first episode was originally meant to be the fourth episode, with three episodes of build-up before Uso actually got in the Gundam (think Eureka Seven), but the marketing team was like 'woaaahhh, you think we can have a gundam show without gundam? Get that kid in the death machine post-haste!' and he had to change things around last-minute.

I watched the first couple episodes of Victory Gundam not too long ago, and I seriously thought for a second that maybe the filenames were labeled incorrectly and maybe I should find a different torrent. But no, that was actually the first episode they aired.

I really do want to finish Victory at some point as it's the only UC show I haven't finished even though Tomino himself says it sucks along with everybody else. UC Gundam is my favorite Gundam. G Gundam and Wing are the only alternate universe shows I've seen all the way through though, so maybe I should tackle Turn-A, X and 00 before Victory so I can get out of my little UC bubble.

I don't think I'm ever going to be able to finish SEED, SEED Destiny or AGE, though. I soldiered through ZZ because I wanted to see what happened in-between Zeta and CCA\Unicorn, but I think you would have to strap me to a chair with my eyeballs held open to get me to watch SEED Destiny.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

Holding off on Turn A until you watch Victory? Not a wise move, man.

Yeah, I think I'm going to do Turn-A next. I just kinda figured if I saved it for last, I might appreciate all the flashbacks and stuff more.

I'm constantly told it's good, and I actually really like the look of the Turn-A and the other weird Mobile Suits from it.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Just saw episode 5.

This is no best mecha collection boy, no best mecha collection!

Italian guy builds gunpla and gives them to girls in an attempt to get laid.

Imagination battle.

Ramba Ral suddenly appears in their loving house out of nowhere.

Build Fighters is the best Gundam series since Turn A.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Sonata Mused posted:

I want a School of the Undefeated of the East and a Master Asia parallel running around like Ral.

The episode was loving hilarious and fantastic but now that you mention Master Asia you suddenly made me disappointed after the fact. Rival dude's karate master? Should have been Master Asia. Oh God, imagine if that was Master Asia. You have no idea how much I'd be into a show with both creepy awkward Ramba Ral and Master Asia running around.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Yeah, I've thought about just how broken a Turn A with a Moonlight Butterfly would be. Also, the Gundams in Gundam Wing were drat near invincible and destroyed Leos constantly with zero effort at all. And Sei's dad won the tournament with an RX-78 which was quickly outdated and inferior to a lot of Gundams developed later. So as much as "canonical power levels" enter into my mind, I don't think they matter in this show.

I mean, if they did, if nothing else, mobile suits from later series like Unicorn and CCA would absolutely crush all the suits from the OYW, and Gundams from Wing and the Turn A\X would be broken as poo poo.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

I am totally onboard with the GM Sniper K9. The GM Sniper II is the coolest GM ever. Now in military olive green.

Oh God, I hope someday build fighters gives us an MG GM Sniper II.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

I love it how there's a big fight in Madison Square Garden with thousands of fans in the audience when in reality barely anybody cares about Gundam in the US. Or... even outside Japan for that matter.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Caros posted:

I'm not gonna lie, I really want to make a tabletop game based on build fighters.

I actually started trying to convert a lot of mobile suits from the OYW into the Mekton Zeta system until I realized that pretty much nobody is gonna wanna play a Gundam pen and paper game with me where I try my darnedest to do a Tomino and kill everyone off.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

AzraelNewtype posted:

Also because it would involve playing Mekton Zeta, which is a hilariously overcomplex system.

It really is. I wonder if there's any other pen and paper systems well suited to a Gundam RPG where it takes me 6 hours to do the stats on a single mobile suit because I have to calculate the weight, the fuel weight, how much armor is on each limb, how much space all these systems are going to take, and so on.

On the plus side, most things in the OYW are variants of the Zaku and GM so once you have those two down you just modify the rest but it's still complicated as all poo poo.

Caros posted:

Yeah, if you had a game where people could make action figures fly around and shoot at each other with lasers, I think Gunpla would be a bit more popular in the US.

In the US they would probably do that, but with Transformers and Marvel Super Heroes and Star Wars guys probably.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

Oh, and in the junior division a girl won with this CCA diorama. Pretty cool!

A 10 year old girl is better at gunpla than I am.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Bimmi posted:

Can someone point me to the episode where China's been anything other than the simpering, timid wannabee girlfriend? Because I haven't seen it yet.

Kirara was an awful character in every respect, don't even try to rationalize that poo poo.

The only female character who's portrayed anything like a real human being is Sei's mom, and even there YES SHE'S GOT BIG TITS ALREADY I loving GET IT.

It's probably dumb of me to get mad at anime for being being rife with sexist bullshit, but Gundam had competent, well-rounded female characters thirty years ago so why is this show so loving regressive?

I legitimately love the scenes when Sei's mom is just gushing over the fact that Sei is hanging out with a girl and her boy is becoming a man, because that is a totally mom thing to do and I get such a big goofy grin when she does. Sei's mom is the breast.

Erm, I mean, Sei's mom is the chest.

...The best. I meant to say the best. Yeah.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Sei's mom is genuinely great most of the time. She is such a mom.

Sei's mom is probably my 2nd favorite character after the really obvious one who is so awesome he started chilling out in my avatar, but it just kind of dawned on me that this is the first Gundam show in recently memory that has almost an entire cast full of likable characters. There really isn't anyone I find particularly loathsome like a Katz or a Quess or basically anyone in Gundam Wing who isn't Duo, or absolutely everyone in Gundam SEED. Sure, China is kind of a typical lovely, submissive non-character but I don't find her particularly offensive, if anything she is just a complete and total void whom you forget exists when she's not onscreen.

Yeah China is a crap character and not at all progressive but as far as sexism goes, this show is pretty tame, at least relatively.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Kirara was pretty bad but she's about it. The worst I can say about other characters is that they were boring and that isn't really the worst problem. There's nobody I just want to go away forever which is a huge step up from... um. Wow. I can't remember the last Gundam show that didn't have a couple characters like that. 0080?

You got me there, I forgot about the idol episode. Yeah, that was pretty bad. Starting going into FAKE NERD GIRL territory. Other than that though, it's been fairly tame.

Yeah, 0080 might be the last Gundam show I've seen where there wasn't anyone I wanted to see die in a fire. That was made in... what, 1989?

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Monaghan posted:

who'd you hate in G-gundam?

Aaahhh, nobody I can think of off the top of my head.

...I-I forgot G Gundam for a second.

...Yeah, I know. It's time to turn in my Gundam fan badge. Oh father, I have sinned.

OH! Oh, wait! There was this little fat kid in one episode who was a shithead and tried to steal the God Gundam. I'll go with that. I totally didn't forget G Gundam there.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Bimmi, we know you're trying to prove how awesome and progressive you are, but you're really making a mountain out of a molehill. Feminism and strong female characters are great and should be in greater abundance, and I think we're all in agreement here when it comes to that, but you also have to pick and choose your battles or else you wind up looking like a fool.

Kiara and China are not the best, most progressive characters out there, but the show is honestly pretty innocuous as far as sexism goes and lashing out at every minor thing makes you look bad and honestly hurts your argument. If you want to lash out at something legitimately hosed up, watch AGE. Or the rapey episode of Valvrave. Build Fighters is a fairly innocent kid's show.

And really, anime in general doesn't often have strong female characters, because the culture isn't exactly progressive when it comes to that. You know, it sucks, but that's the just case. I don't really expect that in a Gundam show, and I'm honestly really just glad that Sei's mom acts like an actual human being.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

The Qubeley really stands out from the rest of the Zeon suits. Zeon suits are usually a lot rounder than the more blocky Gundams and GMs, but the Qubeley is really curvy. It's design is kind of... alien. Like, it actually looks like an alien, complete with the elongated Xenomorph style head, long sharp fingers and huge shoulder things. I've been wanting to get the MG of it for a long time, but just haven't gotten around to it. My local store has Elpeo Ple's but if you're going to get a Qubeley, you need to get Haman Karn's or get out.

EDIT:

Yeah, I more think "alien" when I see the Qubeley over "girly" although it is somewhat feminine.

V V V V V V

GET IN THE ROBOT fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Dec 3, 2013

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Caros posted:

Limbs are also really useful when it comes to colonies. A 'jet' in space is useful for combat there, but has to be massively retooled in many respects as soon as it enters a colony. By contrast a mobile suit just sort of lands and gets on with its day of kicking rear end and orphaning children.

Yeah. In the novels they actually address the AMBAC system and how mobile suits are actually pretty useful in space and in space colonies, but are woefully impractical on earth. Well, that and they invented Minovsky particles to kill radar and guided missiles so close combat in space makes sense instead of just shooting people with lasers from a million miles away.

In a zero-g environment (and underwater, too!), vehicles that have hands and are able to grab things make a lot of sense. They have legs so they can work in both space and inside colonies. While fighter planes would normally tear a big lumbering robot to shreds, it's hard to fly them within a colony. It's hard enough flying a plane when the ground is simply below you. In an O'Neil cylinder, the ground is all around you at every angle.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Build Fighters seems to be like Transformers Animated or that He-man reboot in the west, where grown up nerds love them for all the nostalgia and references to the old school stuff, but the kids just look at the show and scratch their heads.

That said, I think it's safe to say that Build Fighters is really entertaining and is probably the best Gundam show since Turn A. I enjoy this more than Unicorn, even. Not that I don't like Unicorn, I do enjoy it, but this is more fun and feels more fresh to me, while Unicorn is pretty much the standard same old Gundam show I've seen a million times, just with high production values.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Oh Snapple! posted:

I'm somewhat curious that she might be detonating plavsky particles, but I do consider funnels much more likely.

Well, I mean, it is a Qubeley, after all.

I wonder how using a Gaw carrier and a PG Zaku II are even remotely legal. I thought it was restricted to 1/144 scale?

That said, if build fighters were a thing, I would probably want to make some hellish monstrosity that's a combination of the Turn X and the Devil Gundam. Sure, build quality and imagination trump the actual canonical strength, but I would just imagine it to be even more broken and ridiculous than a hypothetical Turn X Devil Gundam would be.

"Oh, it can resist nukes, if it is destroyed but so much as one atom remains, it can completely regenerate itself using DG cells, it can survive inside the sun, travel through time, warp its shots directly into the pilot's cockpit, teleport, has a Angel Halo mind control system, it can go faster than the speed of light, its moonlight butterfly can destroy entire galaxies and it has a mini-fridge in the cockpit stocked with plenty of beer."

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

TaurusOxford posted:

As somebody who owns Perfect Grade kits, that Zaku is WAY bigger than a PG. Judging by how big its hand is next to Build Strike, you're looking at something closer to 1/10 scale.

The 1/12 Gundam is almost as big as a man. If this is the case, I think we all know what's going to come alive at the end of the series.

I want to see Sei and Reji controlling the 1/1 Gundam with an NES advantage controller while they listen to Jackie Wilson.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Pimpmust posted:

I was disappointed when the reveal turned out to not be that lanky & all wrongly proportioned Zaku from that cheap-rear end original Gundam episode :saddowns:

Still chuckling at the image of all the characters going :wtc: at seeing that

Isn't that from the lost episode that they never aired on Toonami or included on the DVD sets because the animation was so bad and Tomino really hated it and wanted it wiped from existence?

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

I love Zakus, and mono-eye suits in general, whether they be Zeon, Titans, ZAFT or whatever. There is something just evil looking and ominous about a robot with a single red glowing eye, like the Zaku, the Cylons from Battlestar Galatica, HAL 9000 and Shockwave from the Transformers. Zeon suits, in spite of having an inhuman cycloptic eye, are probably the most emotive designs in Gundam given that their eyes move along a track. I love it when their monoeyes move around looking for a target, then look right at you, flash and make that BWOM sound effect. That's always an "oh, poo poo!" moment.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

I totally geeked out from the references.

As mentioned, Fran Doll appears in a scene, and Sei meets his dad on Side 6 where Amuro met his dad. At the end, the Gundam head in the stars is the painting from the 0079 movie poster\VHS box.

The scenes with Reji and Alia are so :3:

This show is so much better than it should be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Eej posted:

Well on the bright side at least Mao has good taste in Gundam Women. Can't vouch for his master though.

I think Emma Sheen is one of my favorite Gundam women too. Although Diana from Turn A is probably just slightly above her.

• Locked thread