Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
Y'know, I liked Zoids. I'll watch this too. It's pretty much just an excuse to animate "who would win in a fight?" with Gundams, and I'm alright with that. I hope someone has a Gundam F91 and it does well, that's my favorite.

Hahaha, checking out the PV2 someone has a custom Gunpla called Gundam X SATAN

TNG fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Oct 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
Medabots also had a random judge show up out of nowhere.

Gundams, Gunbattle!

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
I think everyone needs to realize going in that this is not a Gundam show, or even a mecha show, it's a Card Battle show. Sure, they may not be activating trap cards or whatever, but they're still putting massive stakes on the outcome of a game played by a bunch of children/teenagers. You even go to a store to buy something that will make your battle strategy stronger. It's even compounded further by the new modular customization gimmick Bandai is pushing with all of the merchandise.

It may have Aliens and Newtypes, and whatever, but that's pretty old hat for most Card Battle shows. Various Yu-Gi-Oh! shows have had the fate of the entire goddamn planet based around the outcome of a children's card game, along with ghosts, time travel, cyborgs, space travel, genetic splicing, etc. to boot. The further off the deep end it goes into outright sci-fi, the more it has in common with its other Card Battle shows.

I think when people get past the initial barrier of this thing having GUNDAM plastered all over it and tying into a nearly 40 year old metaseries that has had several different flavors of war story, and accept this thing for what it is and what it isn't they'll be much happier. There's nothing wrong with a Card Battle show, it's just that it's never going to be a "Gundam" show as one understands it.

TNG fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Oct 10, 2013

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
Well, I certainly agree that arguing over the minutia will lead to a no true Scotsman argument that ultimately leads nowhere, but I don't think that the Gunpla element is exactly superficial. G Gundam I would argue is what it was from episode one. Earth, in a bit of subversion from the strandard trope of most UC and a few AU shows, is messed up horribly and the elite have migrated into space. Domon is required to fight by various adult figures in a conflict which is making life miserable for most other individuals. Oh yeah, Domon also has a problem communicating with people, and must find a way to bridge that gap(through FISTS rather than Newtype ESP or platitudes about not fighting). It certainly has the trappings of a Shonen fight show, but its first dramatic beat isn't "look how cool my powers are kids, buy all these products". Sei's directly stated ambition is to "build the best Gunpla(which you could buy at a store just like Sei's)and have it piloted gracefully". Very much the character's arc is being grounded in getting a real life product and playing with it in some manner.

I'm not arguing that this show is bad or in anyway some sort of embarrassment, far from it. But I would contend that this show wouldn't be that much different if it were about some other robot product. It's part of its appeal and longevity, since the fanservice to entice older Gundam fans is a big part of it too, but I would say that the GUNDAM bit is really the superficial part while the "look how cool this product is and look how cool playing with it is" is the real meat of the show. Since Reiji's alieness and being a Newtype or whatever is ultimately going to tie back into buying more Gunpla.

TNG fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Oct 10, 2013

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Reiji is an alien from an alternate universe's future that has space colonies. And that alternate reality? Byston Well. Also a genie.

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
The Ide is what powers the little wish stone, which uses technology provided by The Innocent, and sold to Reiji by Amandara Kamandara.

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
EP 2 just aired. You could say it was (zaku)Amazing

Reiji also gets another Gundam special power attributed to him, directly on screen. I wonder if he'll get X-Rounders at this rate?

Ramba Ral also continues to be more and more a Mr. Referee from Medabots, a development I am more than 100% okay with.

TNG fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Oct 14, 2013

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
Watching Rambal Ral explain the "harshness of the battlefield" to a girl who can't stop wondering who the hell this guy is while they're watching people fight with plastic models has pretty much made this SOTY for me. I think this show's very wry sense of humor about itself is really its best asset. It's very much a BUY GUNPLA show, but it's one that actually has a very funny and entertaining method of presentation about it. I care about this crap since the show gives a crap about it. Also, its rather radical soundtrack.

Plus

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax

BlitzBlast posted:

Also, apparently the next episode previews (which the youtube uploads cut out) reference previous shows'. The first episode used MSG's, this one used Zeta's. I guess ZZ is next?

Yeah, that's pretty cool.

"You will see the Battlefield of Gunpla!"

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax

BlitzBlast posted:

Titles/summaries for the next three episodes have been released. Some rough translations from /m/:

Yasaka is the kid in the opening with the rad as gently caress Gundam X.

Not just any Gundam X, Gundam X SATAN

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
The weird Soma Pieres/Four Murasame girl in the OP appears to have some sort of Tekkaman Blade Qubeley, so there's that.

I was a little disappointed in the episode since the Fenice didn't get any real action against Reiji, but otherwise I think the episode was very enjoyable. Especially Reiji's "origin" done completely in crayon. We do read too much manga Reiji, we do.

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
lovely? What are you talking about, this thing is pure perfection!

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax

BlitzBlast posted:

EDIT: Also a moment of silence for Mandala Gundam. :smith:

Yeah, man. What the hell? It does its cool Yin Yang pose thingy and then just gets shot. Kiral would be ashamed.

I'm also really excited for the Maoh, since it looks like a really awesome reworking of a pretty great looking suit to begin with.

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
Zeo-Shining-mer

I hope something like that shows up in the show in the later stages of tournament

Qubeley Papillion is basically Detonator Orgun+Qubeley, so it would fit right in.

TNG fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Nov 3, 2013

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
Man, this is the best Gundam show in years. Because the basic premise behind the show isn't insultingly stupid, sure it's super but it's a fun and enjoyable stupid that has a lot of care put into it.

Also Mao tried to pay for his meal with this thing

Hilarious.

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
Awww, poor Build Gundam Mk II. It barely got an episode to shine before it got damaged and Sei decided to build something new to replace it. I was hoping that it would have a longer shelf life. Well, onwards to more Gunpla! At least Maoh had a really cool scene with the Satellite Cannon

TNG fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Nov 18, 2013

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax

Zedd posted:

I think we found our Char and it's pretty obvious who that is.

He's not our Char, he's our Quattro. I also find it hilarious that they're playing around with the multiple name aspect of the character rather than just the mask aspect.

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
New episode, and it's a winner.

China has a Aim for the Top! Gunbuster training montage. I don't care what anyone says, I really like her.

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax

BlitzBlast posted:

EDIT: Since they never show who won, I'm just going to assume Not Kamille did and none of you can stop me.

Obviously it was Sazaki. You didn't think she was a guy did you?

I think one of my favorite parts of the episode was that SD Knight Gundam was computer animated/cell shaded, just like a real SD Gundam show!

TNG fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Dec 2, 2013

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
Well, this show keeps getting more and more incredible as it goes along.

For the dude that said he'd love it if this show went all Iron Leaguer, episode 13 delivers in spades...sorta

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
I hope the pilots are all Dragonar send offs. Or at least one of them is voiced by Houchu Otsuka.

• Locked thread