Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Maybe the AGE Orbital will actually be useful this time around :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I know this is essentially a 24 minute ad, but I wasn't expecting literal marketing techniques to be discussed.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Maybe Sei's dad was from the universe where it's a good idea to build a Gunpla store away from train stations or shopping centers.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I'm all for Pacific Rim Yeagers to make a guest appearance.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Sei's "ideal" is a little off to me. It's portrayed as an unambiguously good thing that Sei found someone who he thinks will treat his Gunpla well. That's fine by itself, but when paired up with Sei's sudden flashback to seeing his dad wreck poo poo at a Gunpla tournament while watching Reiji perform the same moves, it gives me the impression that Sei subconsciously wants to be his dad's mechanic sidekick and he's projecting that on to Reiji. I wonder if Sei will find out his "ideals" are a load of crap and he'll learn to fight Gunpla battles in a way that's completely distinct from his dad.

I don't know, a big thematic part of Gundam is on the suppression from past generations on newer generations, right? Is it still Gundam if the newer generation (Sei) suppresses itself because it constantly compares itself and thinks it falls short of the past generation (Sei's dad)? Of course, this is all conjecture right now and maybe it'll turn out that Sei doesn't think any of those things I described in the last paragraph. Maybe he just plain sucks at Gunpla battles and it has nothing to do with trying to be a Xerox copy of his dad.

Really, this entire train of thought was because Reiji compared Gunpla battles to mixed martial arts when he first met Sei, and the thought of little plastic Gundams fighting it out in the Octagon was hilarious. Speaking of, was Reiji's MMA comment a localization thing on GundamInfo's part, or was that literally what he said?

Level Slide fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Oct 11, 2013

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

tsob posted:

If Sei is going to learn to fight in his own way, I wonder what kind of fighter he'll mature in to? Beam spam/support unit a la Kira perhaps to continue the SEED theme?

I hope he follows Reiji's train of thought from the first episode and goes all close-combat MMA. Seriously, I was expecting Sei to counter Sazaki and throw his Gyan's rear end out of the ring.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Draw me like one of your Goufs.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Isn't the kid in the opening and ending with the straw hat and overalls also a girl? Guess not.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Was that shot of Sei's dad always in the opening?

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I like to think Rinko does this all the time to get a rise out of Sei.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I hope Takeshi tries to do that Char thing, only for Sei to go "Hi dad! :haw:" the moment they meet.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I get the distinct feeling that Aila is from whatever moon kingdom that Reiji is from. Her prediction on the finals and her skill at battling despite being oblivious to the Gunpla scene leads me to that conclusion. I wouldn't be surprised if Aila tried pulling that "make a wish and I'll come running" stunt if she didn't already have obligations to the methane hydrate tycoon.

I also think she would wreck Reiji in a straight up wrestling match, but I don't have anything to support that.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

China got into Gunpla because of Sei, but I'm sure she has a better idea of what kind of hobby she got herself mixed in after paying witness to the slugfest between the Build Strike and the Zaku Amazing. Perhaps the upcoming episode, with her Beargguy III standing victorious amid the wreckage of the SD Knight will be the moment where she realizes that she might actually like Gunpla :unsmigghh:

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Although the feminism discussion has passed, what's the over-under on G-Reko suits getting a cameo? Does G-Reko even have any confirmed mobile suit designs?

I guess the space elevator can be a possible battlefield if nothing else is set in stone. Assuming the space elevator is an actual space elevator and not a metaphor.

Level Slide fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Nov 29, 2013

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Well this certainly explains where Nils got his horse from.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Only if the Sichuan Gundam gets some of that Plavsky loving, too

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

From one of the animation director's Twitter.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I'm still mad about Orbital's shameful performance.

Darth Walrus posted:

Hahahaha holy poo poo.

If you're wondering, it's from the prequel manga.

Speaking as a complete beginner to the art of Gunpla, how hard will it be to replace the head of that cat Gundam with the torso of the Beargguy III?

The possibility of building a ursine, feline, centaur robot will probably be the thing that tips me into the Gunpla abyss.
poo poo, followed the link and that cat form is only the transformed version and not an actual head. No possibility for centaur :negative:

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Pureauthor posted:

Obviously we need an Acguy Amazing.

Beargguy Amazing

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I feel like Yuuki is trying to get himself fired. Just in a weird way that involves being a giant buzz kill.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDTX6eGaG7I

Original
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZgG6ScmScw

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Maybe Baker was just humoring Nils' Japanophilia. Still funny, yeah.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I'm still waiting for someone to call Sei on how his ideal pilot is a 1:1 replica of his dad.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

If this ends with Sei and Reiji doing a Love Love Sekiha Tenkyouken, then GBF can do whatever the hell it wants. Or it could be Sei and China with Reiji being the projectile king.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Blackchamber posted:

I wish he had self destructed it. Then he could have told Kirara that poo poo isn't everything and he'd have more time to spend going after her (until he has to make another fenice for next year's tourney), and at the same time hamstringing team nemesis. That way he could be less of a goon choosing gun-pla over girl-pus.

I think Mihoshi wouldn't be cool with Fellini destroying his baby like that because, if that's how he treats his long-time partner in crime, then what does that say about his longevity with a girl he's only known for a few weeks?

Also, did Reiji have any particularly negative reaction to the Renato brothers' tactics in last week's episode? He said he was fine with Kirara's underhanded tactics earlier in the series.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

Nah, he was just surprised Yuuki was losing.

Incidentally, Reiji was the first one to actually notice the 1/144 Zeon soldiers. From like twenty feet away, at the top of the spectator stands. In a dark, rainy area. Dude's ridiculous.

Alright, because it would be weird if Reiji was fine with Kirara's underhanded tactics but indignant with the Renato brothers'.

Monaghan posted:

Well that fucks with the timeline a little bit because 00 came out after the first plastky particles were discovered and the tournaments started running

It was an exclusive sneak peek to drum up hype for 00.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

But the Renato's tactics weren't underhanded? At least not in the same way Kirara's were. The Brothers just used misdirection and sleight of hand in battle, Kirara literally sabotaged the enemy unit before the battle so that it would basically be unusable in the actual fight.

I know, that's why it would be weird.

And now I'm imagining a mini-Cold War between Mihoshi and the brothers Renato, should they face off. A complex series of sabotage and espionage that decides the battle before it even starts. Assuming Kirara is still cool with being underhanded.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Kio would be a more entertaining character if all of his attempts to improve the situation ended in catastrophic failure, if only because of his lack of research. "Understanding" turned on its head.

But yeah, if there is a season 2, it should be after the contract for 00 S2 and AGE expire. I've said time and time again that AGE-3 Orbital was a really cool suit and its treatment withing AGE is anime injustice. Back when GBF started up, I was hoping it would rectify that, but then I read about the contracts.

Alternatively, Gundam Build Fighters vs. Little Battlers eXperience

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Sindai posted:

I like how in the face of Nils' interrogation, Sei has completely neglected to mention that time Reiji teleported in front of him early in the series.

Or maybe he just repressed the memory to maintain his sanity.

How convenient that Reiji did his teleporting trick at the end of the episode.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I'm up for Zeta Build Fighters.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Note: Character then proceeds to Mope Around.

Don't take advice from Mao or really any of the pilots. They're all kind of losers :colbert:

I never knew a room full of losers could be so entertaining. Maybe I've been hanging around the wrong losers?

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Aila's first order of business as Queen of Spaceland is to annex surrounding territories to expand the food reserves.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

"everybody parties in Sei's room"

Speaking of, Sei's hotel room is getting pretty cramped. I hope Aila uses whatever goodwill she has left with Nemesis to get everyone to pile into the villain bus.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

https://twitter.com/gojooni/status/448121986632265728

There needs to be more land battles in season 2 so I can see this beauty animated. There should also be a season 2 to have more land battles in.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

How many more years until Sunrise can use AGE units in GBF? I'm still awaiting the day when AGE-3 Orbital doesn't get instantly wrecked. Or rather, since GBF was big on customizing, a Gunpla that's based on the Orbital design.

Still, the ending battles were great. I technically got what I wanted with Sei acknowledging that he wanted to be his dad, but the execution was lacking. But that's alright because I got to see Lieutenant Ramba Ral create a cyclone in space, something I never knew I wanted.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Zedd posted:

The fact that we got a good show that had all of this is still amazing me :swoon:
A Zaku fighting a strike Gundam
A Gundam X beating up a UC-era Mobile armor
A wing Gundam riding a motorcycle
An Astray Gundam riding Fuunsaiki :black101:
An SD Gundam teaming up with a Sazabi
And so on

Oh, no doubt about that. Entertaining characters and entertaining battles all throughout the whole series.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

A running gag with Sei and China repeatedly breaking up and getting back together.

Actually no, that sounds kind of sad.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

The same writing staff is still in, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I hope there's a quick gag where the main casts from both GBF series show their reactions to the first episode of Greco. Sei and Fellini look mildly disgusted while Kamiki loved every minute.

• Locked thread