Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006
I've been running the following standard list lately. The idea is a mind jail using their own horrors against them.

It's a U/W/B control game based on Ashiok and Jace. I use general board control strategies of detention spheres, cyclonic rifts, supreme verdicts etc to keep the board clean. My mutavault and whatever creatures I get from Ashiok and specters will win me the game. Sometimes I deck them too, but I can generally finish them off with a specter or mutavault or whatever bomb they have. Ashiok is awesome for hitting a few of their bombs, and it ruins their mood; when you take their xenagos or elspeth, you've already gained some advantage.

I'm not 100% sure about my sideboard and if I should put the deicides in my sideboard or not. I want to try it out this saturday for standard. I can generally weather a quick rush deck fairly well, but I am not happy with my lack of solid 1 drops; I don't have too many. I can't afford thoughtseize before saturday, but I'm looking for it (they'll replace duress). Maybe negate ? I'm honestly not too strong at sideboarding, I'm more of an all-comer; I think when I face a similar U/W control deck I should splice in the gainsays for the kruphix to deny them the cards, put in an aetherling for a specter because that exile ability will keep him alive. Are there any solid sideboarding suggestions ?

1 Hallowed Fountain
6 Island
1 Mutavault
3 Plains
2 Swamp
4 Temple of Deceit
3 Temple of Enlightenment
4 Temple of Silence
2 Duress
2 Syncopate
3 Azorius Charm
2 Cyclonic Rift
2 Deicide
2 Ultimate Price
2 Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver
4 Detention Sphere
2 Dictate of Kruphix
4 Dissolve
3 Nightveil Specter
1 Sphinx's Revelation
3 Jace, Architect of Thought
4 Supreme Verdict

Sideboard:

2 Cyclonic Rift
2 Doom Blade
4 Gainsay
2 Banishing Light
1 Dictate of Kruphix
2 Hero's Downfall
1 Nightveil Specter
1 Aetherling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006

Jabor posted:

11 white sources probably isn't enough to cast Verdict reliably when you need it. You kind of need at least two different sets of dual lands to play three colours - either more shocks, or if you don't want to spend that much on cards that are rotating soon, some guildgates would help more than playing basics.

I'm skeptical of Dictate - control decks generally win the game by using their early spells to avoid falling behind in tempo, and then leveraging their more expensive spells to provide card advantage later on. Having both players draw additional cards means you have to deal with a lot more of your opponent's threats, while not hugely helping you since you're more constrained by mana.

Aetherling deserves maindeck play. Any deck is going to be packing cards like Hero's Downfall or Banishing Light or other creature removal, and having a finisher that's resilient to that (as well as survives your own Supreme Verdicts) is very strong.

You kind of have to ask yourself if the black is really worth stretching your manabase for. Specter doesn't need it, you have stuff like Last Breath to replace cheap black removal against weenie decks, and you kind of have to wonder if Ashiok's role in the deck isn't better served by something like Elspeth.

Just a few thoughts.

Thanks for your comments; I like your thoughts.

I included Aetherling in my sideboard because yeah he's awesome, but I'd like to play without him // be different special little snowflake. I'll try to win game 1 with mine, and I can switch over later. But I might main deck him too your comment does strike home again how freaking good this dude is.

Elspeth is really strong, but I also think she's boring. I just plain like Ashiok's shtick better of stealing their creatures, I feel in general, they kind of do the same thing (produce creatures) though yes, Elspeth is better at it. But I really like that Ashiok mills them and then keeps it; I haven't played high tier guys with this, but the look on my opponents face as I take their mistcutter or something stupid is great; you can see the plan in their mind being ruined. I feel it serves as great disruption of their game plan - and it is taking a bomb away from them, and giving it to me. The deck actually was started trying to find a solid use of Ashiok, so I'd rather not take him out.

(I'll put Elspeth in my sideboard though, you're right, she is a beast/win con on her own)

Your thoughts on Kruphix are the same as mine. When I play it, I'm usually in solid control and it lets me win more, or it's not that beneficial to my side as opposed to theirs. What would you propose as an alternative card draw engine? I can't really afford more sphinx's revelations before Saturday, so that's kind of out.

I got 3 sets of duals; wb/wu/bu temples. I need more shocklands but again, $, working on that :) I haven't really had any mana screws so far, so I'm honestly not too worried about that right now. Even with the black, I've never been screwed for land and Duress will be switched for Thoughtseize when I have the $.

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006
slamming Ordeal of Thassa on the chasm skulker is pretty solid value. You pretty much want the ordeal to go off ASAP, and then it just becomes a 1U divination with the added bonus of giving your guy 3 +1/+1 counters. (1 from the attack 2 from the card draw), basically Giant growthing him.

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006

BaronVonVaderham posted:

First brew for new Standard. I have it sleeved up and ready to test after dinner, so it will probably change, but I think this might be unexpected enough to steal games early in the format when no one will think to have Back to Nature in their 75.

Graveyard Enchantments

4 Sylvan Caryatid
4 Nighthowler
4 Herald of Torment
4 Master of the Feast
4 Boon Satyr
2 Pharika, God of Affliction
4 Nemesis of Mortals

4 Commune with the Gods
4 Kruphix's Insight
3 Murderous Cut
2 Hero's Downfall

4 Temple of Malady
4 Llanowar Wastes
6 Forest
7 Swamp

Sideboard:

2 Erebos
3 Setessan Tactics
3 Brain Maggot
2 Nyx Weaver
3 Bile Blight
2 Drown in Sorrow

I basically looked at cards to fill your graveyard for Delve to see what sort of synergies I might find, and I came across Kruphix's Insight. I thought sticking to purely Enchantment Creatures makes that card ridiculous (3 mana: Draw 2-3, add 2-3 to the graveyard, in most cases). Along with Commune with the Gods, that's enough to encourage me toward a graveyard-matters-all-enchantments core.

From there I obviously looked to Nighthowler, which led me to Herald of Torment and Master of the Feast right next to it in my binder. With Boon Satyr on my brain, I thought enabling Pharika would be easy enough, along with her ability to make more use of my graveyard.

With graveyard contents being relevant, I moved away from Delve, but this is the perfect deck to support Murderous Cut as "B: Kill something".

I have no idea how it will play out, but it was an interesting idea I'm playing with that's a little different from the usual Constellation approach. It's obviously very weak to Back to Nature, but at least at first I don't see that being all over the place (definitely not main). Bestow gives a lot of resilience, too, EXCEPT against that card.

I'd switch the master of the feasts to eidolon of blossoms so that for each creature you play you get to draw a (few) card(s); all your other creatures are enchantments, except for sylvan cary but he's good blocking and fixing so Id keep him.

It's better to be the card drawer, and herald of torment does the same job once you flip him on a courser or something. (also you should be playing coursers because theyre enchantments for blossoms and will net you life and will help you decide if you want to flip to GY or not.) Sultai ascendency is something to look into to, to help enable the GY as well as be an enchantment for the above.

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006

Courser is an enchantment creature too, so he'll activate constellation as well.

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006
I have been playing around with the following Br build:

4 Temple of Malice
4 Bloodstained Mire
3 Mountain
8 Swamp

4 Bloodsoaked Champion
4 Mardu Skullhunter
2 Gnarled Scarhide
4 Pain Seer
4 Monastery Swiftspear
2 Tymaret, the Murder King
4 Tormented Hero

2 Stoke the Flames
3 Magma Jet
4 Thoughtseize
4 Drown in Sorrow
4 Hero's Downfall

SB: 4 Grim Haruspex
SB: 4 Dark Betrayal
SB: 4 Chief of the Edge
SB: 4 Caves of Koilos

constantly recycling bloodsoaked is great and hes'got great synergy with tymaret, making it easy to keep him on the board to block/trade while flinging bloodsoaked champs at the face for reach.

*Might do awake with stoke the flames -hasn't really been necessary yet becayse Tym fulfills the same role and could be dangerous with pain seer.
*pain seer should maybe be grim haruspex; esp in mirror matches (had 3 last night on cockatrice); we're not doing any blocking so life might be needed.
*Drown in sorrows is great after you run your bloodsoaked into their guys, -2/-2 sticks around and wipes, then new bloodsoaked champs to recycle them all again next turn. Super awesome in the mirror match since they do not have Raid going and they probably have not held a bloodsoaked back in their hand.

*I saw a black/white warrior version with chief of the scale but I am not sure about it; I don't want to go 3 color as I don't want to fiddle around with the manabase, I want to apply pressure immediately.

Any ideas or suggestions or comments?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006
I've been brewing around with the following Tymareth / Bloodsoaked champion deck.

The deck is monoblack aggro, with a splash of red for Tymaret and swiftspear. Tymaret gives me reach and the ability to just sling bloodsoaked champs at his face. It also recycles itself really, really well with the bloodsoaked. And Grim Haruspex + Tymaret + Bloodsoaked is just bonkers.

The swiftspear lets me reactivate my board after a wipe from me (or from them). In the matchup, drown in sorrows is great, it ruins their day since rarely they hold back and with no creature to go, they have a hard time reactivating their bloodsoaked. Swiftspear lets me do that for 1 mana. If need be, also a body to throw at the opp, and to draw cards with grim haruspex.

I played this tonight and it went alright, not as well as it did on Cockatrice. I know I have several improvements to make:
Notably I want stoke the flames so I can blast through coursers or do the final damage to nyx fleece ram or kill Anafeza. All three of those cards are big issues to my list. I can also use it to deal 4 without spending mana, so I can still fling my dudes to his face as well.

I'm looking for any weaknesses that you guys spot, or (additional) changes I should try.

Creatures (25)
4 x bloodsoaked champion
3 x tymaret the murder king
4 x mardu skullhunter
4 x Monastary swiftspear
4 x pain seer
2 x Grim haruspex
4 x ruthless Ripper

Instants/sorceries (15)
4 x Heroes downfall
4 x Thoughtseize
4 x Drown in Sorrows