Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait
OK Dallas goons, talk me back into street riding. I quit a couple of months after moving here from the Bay Area, partially due to money, partially due to the lack of mountain roads. But mainly because I would get about 12 tickets for lane splitting on the way home from picking up my next bike.

A work friend has a Goldwing that he rides...um...aggressively, and he keeps trying to talk me into street riding again. Which I do miss. And lately, track riding only just doesn't give me the fix I need. So tell me there are places to ride in the Dallas area without just wearing out the center of the tire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait
I should check in here, but usually work weekends so can't make many group rides. If any of you see a red ZX14 in the Carrollton area, flag me down and say hi. I am the big, goofy looking guy in white/black gear.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait
I was in Mckinney this morning, to ride with a friend who had to bail out. I should have checked this thread. I will, next time I have a weekend day off.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Skreemer posted:

Keep an eye out and join up. No hooligan shenanigans with our group, but we definitely hustle down a curvy road or two.

I don't go for the hooligan stuff anymore, I just want to have fun riding, not trying to qualify for MotoGP. Most of the time, I am the slowest ZX14 rider around, I save my big throttle twists for those few times I feel there is next to zero risk in doing it. But, thanks, will keep an eye out for the next chance.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Alceste posted:

Is yours red? If so I wonder if that was you I gave a nod to while I was on my way downtown to meet up. Eastbound on Virginia at...Jordan? Randy Lee? Blue SV650, blue visor.

I saw all the gear, which is a rare enough thing to be pretty goddamn sad, and thought for sure it was one of the guys from here and was disappointed when he/you turned off.

Yep! That was me. Was turning off to go check on my riding buddy who had to go do family stuff. I ended up having breakfast in town, at Celt's (The Celt? not sure, but drat good food) and went out on my own for a few hours. Saw your chin mounted helmet cam, will pick your brains about a good cam setup at some point.

P.S. Good looking SV, those are great bikes. But you probably already know that.

Flint Ironstag fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Nov 2, 2016

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Alceste posted:

Funny. Well, at least my hunch about you being a CAgoon was correct. Also we were probably still standing in line at Snug while you were at the Celt.

That ZX14 looks good in red and it caught my eye from a long way back. I do love my SV; it seems to enjoy the way I abuse it, and I never get tired of looking at it, but I'm also accustomed to having the cheapest, oldest, unsexiest and lowest tech bike in any group I'm ever a part of.

My chin mount required a sorta goofy configuration of brackets and extensions, but the mounting to the helmet is solid, the POV is perfect and the results are just what I wanted. I can post up some sample footage if anyone's interested. I wish the battery lasted longer, but for a $40 FauxPro I really can't complain.

Once we meet in person, I will show some stuff on my Zed X that is goofy. Prior owner installed LEDs (ugh) that I will remove once I get a good picture and (possibly) put on my Accord. For the comedy. And PO was afraid of corners. The tires are nearly worn out, in the middle 25%. Just commuting on it, I have tripled the amount of tread usage. I didn't buy this bike, I rescued it.

PM me, I will uncloak my Twitter, which is basically nothing but me raving about this bike, lately.

Flint Ironstag fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Nov 2, 2016

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

kuffs posted:

Heading either direction on E Park Blvd (west is best) you can easily catch air going the speed limit at the K intersection. Was my little burst of joy in an otherwise dull commute.

I was secretly hoping I'd do it in front of someone with a dash cam and I'd end up on utoob.

I was also able to catch air leaving the parking garage at the last place I worked. Incredibly fun on the DRZ. That is, until building security told me to cut it out.

There is a big dip on eastbound Frankford at Kelly, especially in the right lane.. Notice all the car scrapes on the far side of that one. The first time I hit it, I caught air on my old FZR1000, and was totally unprepared, since it doesn't look all that bad from a distance.

Flint Ironstag fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Nov 4, 2016

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait
So, did anyone else have today off to enjoy this fantastic weather? Days like this are why we ride.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Alceste posted:

gently caress no, I've been working all day looking at the gorgeous weather through my goddamn window like usual.

I did get in a pedal bike ride this morning at 6 AM but it was dark and 46 degrees, so, not optimal conditions for that. I got to experience 30 minutes of sunshine when I walked the kids to school and came back but that was it.

How'd you get today off?

I work most weekend days, so my days off are usually during the week, and had requested today off due to it being the USMC birthday. I take it off nearly every year. My timing, for once, was excellent. Went for a little celebratory ride. My quiet pipes did save my butt once, since I saw the cop before he saw my "arrest me" red paint.

Flint Ironstag fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Nov 11, 2016

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Sagebrush posted:

I ATGATT and usually have a tail bag or saddlebags, and I have definitely accidentally done stupid poo poo in front of cops and never had any attention (knock on wood).

Me, too. But a bright red bike is a magnet for the eyeballs. I had a Carrollton moto cop staring at me as I went by a couple weeks ago, he seemed surprised when I gave him the wave.

I nearly picked up a green one a couple of weeks before I bought this one, that would probably be even more of a red flag.

Flint Ironstag fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Nov 12, 2016

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait
Anyone off of work tomorrow? I am, and hoping to use up the remnant of my tires.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait
I am off Sunday, so if something is set that doesn't involve some off roading, and you all are willing to meet a shaved Wookiee, post here.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Skreemer posted:

I too am off on Sunday. Post up where you want to meet and what time and I'll be there.

My apologies, things didn't work as planned today. The only bike related thing I got to do was put on the adapter for my tank bag. Rest of the day is me pretending to be a grown-up, and doing responsible things.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait
I don't know what year the VFR is, but, having recently owned a 2007, I can highly recommend one.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait
Anyone else have zero interest in some silly football game on Sunday? Weather is looking good for a ride.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait
I completely forgot I posted here, sorry about that. I am off all week, so may be available for a ride at any given time. PM me, if anyone is interested. Nursing a bad back, so YMMV, but the weather should be OK for at least part of the week.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Skreemer posted:

I learned today that if I track the Duke 390, I might need to go to GP shift. I leaned over going around a corner and went to go the next gear and my toe skipped off the road.

Was there a guy on an FZ-09 there? He would have been in the beginner group. I work with him, and it was his first track day. He is now hooked.

Flint Ironstag fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Mar 10, 2017

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Skreemer posted:

Naw I was just out on the road and caught a light right at the correct moment for a full roll on and the bike leaned way over. Coming off the frontage road going over the bridge onto Parker (north on 75 turn west onto Parker) I had no traffic and a green light. I like that area because it's up a hill, left, then plunge down with a right hander... Feels awesome when there's no one there and you can maintain the 40MPH all the way through.

Ah, thought maybe you were at the Ride Smart event my coworker went to. I do know the corner you are talking about, but I only seem to hit it with traffic around, though.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Skreemer posted:

Not sure if anyone needs tools or whatnot, but here's some info:
I know the quality of the craftsman tools has gone to hell in the last few years, but SEARS in the "Gallery at Midtown" mall is going out of business.
There's still tools and tool boxes left, wrench sets, ratchet sets, mechanics sets, air compressors, all sorts of stuff. Most things were between 30% and 40% off.

If you need the address:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/S...96.806963?hl=en

You ain't lyin' about Craftsman. I bought my 1/2" impact gun just a few months ago, and it is already broken. I do use it many times a day at work, but still unacceptable. So much for not spending tool truck prices, aargh.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait
Somebody remind me. Next time I ride FM455, to start in Denton, not finish there. I was nice and cool today, until I hit the stop and go traffic.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Skreemer posted:

That was a very long ride. The 390 held up well, my poor rear end, not so much. The seat on that thing is a freakin' plank of wood with a concrete cushion.

As someone who has ridden mostly super sports and yet also toured on them, a Corbin seat has been on nearly every bike. It was a lifesaver on my FZR1000. I swear, the stock seat on that thing could have used to torture information out of spies.

Even my ZX, which was already pretty comfortable, now has one.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Skreemer posted:

Too drat hot....

What are you talking about? I had a good ride today.

(Right up to the point I got back into town, and hit stop and go traffic. And got soaked in sweat.)

Good looking bike, btw, I keep thinking about doing that to mine.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait
Great weather today. Please tell me someone got in some good riding. I got in two good rides.

The ride into work and the ride home. Ugh. Tuesday can't come soon enough.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Skreemer posted:

Typical Sunday for me when not going on a group ride. Get as many chores done as possible. This includes multiple trips to the grocery store. Not one place has everything, and the Duke 390 can only carry so much.
I'm seriously thinking of getting a set of blaze saddle bags for it. I've just about reduced my truck usage to once or twice a week.

I have a set of Motocentric bags for my ZX, and a Givi tank bag. And a backpack for work days. Except for really bad weather, or exceptionally loaded down trips, my Accord just sits around, bored.

Anybody off tomorrow? I need to do a fun ride, and am looking for an interesting route.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait
If any of you ride in the Flower Mound/Lewisville area, FM3040 specifically, during the evening commute, be sure to wave to a guy on a giant green & bling Harley. He scoffed at me, but, since we we both at the front of the next light, I went nuts with my waving while in the next lane at the red. "Hi!!!! How are you?!? Why won't you wave back?!?" while waving like a moron. He seemed a bit, um, confused and just stared straight ahead, with side glances at the crazy man on the red ZX.

I accidentally deleted the vid before I could upload it to Youtube, oops.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Skreemer posted:

I do the same thing at stoplights too. Anyone up for a ride next weekend?

Late response, but do you mean tomorrow? I have a rare Saturday off.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Skreemer posted:

No yamaha, no ktm, no ducati, and only a little pop up tent space for triumph. About half the space for the little vendor booths. This year is a bit of a bust.

Suzuki, Kawasaki, Harley, Indian, Royal Enfield, BMW, Honda, and MV Agusta.

Nothing new for suzuki, the 400 kawasaki was cool but weirdly prproportioned. MV had a drag 800 that was cool looking. The Harley fat bob was cool but i put my feet on the passenger pegs. If the controls were there i would like it better.

Got to talk with Kevin Schwantz. Saw a very abbreviated stunt show.

It's a solid pass this year unless you have something really specific you would like to see.

Had I known Kevin Schwantz was going to be there, I would have taken the day off of work and brought down my old Arai Signet Schwantz replica helmet I wore for several years to see if he would autograph it. Shuddap, I'm old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Skreemer posted:

If there is a bike event and Circuit of the Americas is being promoted, Kevin Schwantz will more than likely be there signing autographs and telling stories.

(Slow response is slow, sorry.)

Ah, good to know. Now, all I have to do is get back on my bike. Protect your rotator cuff, damaging one is no fun.

• Locked thread